Grease Witherspoon

General Television Discussion Thread

1,908 posts in this topic

It seems like there are lots of good minithreads about specific tv shows but I think it would be nice to have a general tv discussion thread. I figured I'd make it and if the community objects then so be it.

This doesn't necessarily have to be a reccomendation sort of thread you can just talk about whatever you want related to tv.

PS. Please try to avoid posting about MLP or the super mario show or extremely popular tv sources that already have big threads in the tv and vids section. This is meant to be a nice 'catch all' for all the shows that dont have big threads already. If a show has a small thread but it hasn't been posted in since like 2008 then I guess it would make sense to post here instead of necrobumping (but I'm not a mod so if the mods disagree about that then let me know)

And you can talk about older shows too.

-----

I guess I'll start us off by talking about 3rd Rock from the Sun. I watched the show every now and then when it was first on the air back in the late 90s and very early 2000s, but since I was a kid I didn't appreciate it in nearly the same way as I do now.

For those of you that don't know about 3rd Rock (they still play reruns but only on lame channels) basically it's about aliens that come to earth to study humans.

Over the past year, I watched every episode in order. (There are 6 seasons). It's a damn fine sitcom.

It's a funny show, but it also has just the right amount of heart without going overboard about it. And the entire cast is great. It's so strange seeing joseph gordon levit as like a little kid with long girly hair now that he's a badass movie actor in inception and stuff. But he was pretty damn good even as a child actor. And John Lithgow is always on.

I really like the concept of the show. They explore the human condition from the prospective of outsiders so to them everything is new. They are in disguise as a family unit living in a crappy attic apartment. Basically they just offend people with their honesty because they haven't been conditioned to act a certain way by society and it gets them into trouble.

At the end of just about every episode, they sit on a roof gazing at the stars from whence they came discussing what they learned about humans during the course of the episode. These ending scenes are typically pretty insightful or funny. I can think of lots of times when I was having a rough day or I was feeling alienated from everyone in my life so I'd sit down and watch 3rd Rock. By the end of an episode or two, the world always seemed to make more sense than it did 30 minutes earlier. I think that's the mark of a great show. Anyways, I just watched the last episode of 3rd rock for the first time last night. I didn't rush for a box of tissues and icecream or anything but I definately felt a sense of loss knowing that the show was over. And while it wasn't the most depressing ending ever there was a lot going on in the show and I had grown somewhat attached to the characters that it certainly was moving. But aside from all that heavy stuff, it's a really consistently funny show that I'd definately reccomend to others.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

i too, find 3rd rock funny. also, im pretty sure you might want to include ponies and poop source shows to your no discussin list, as they also see lotsa spaghetti coverage round here.

For clearing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years User with Funniest Signatures 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

Pretty much the only thing I watch TV for now is Conan.

But if we're talking not just current TV, I've liked a few sitcoms. That '70s Show, Malcolm in the Middle, and Everybody Hates Chris are a few favorites. I also really liked Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis.

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

I know it has its own thread, but since its never ever used, id like to say that Dan vs. may very well be the best cartoon on tv right now. i find the comedic timing and humorous writing something you rarely see these days on programs aimed toward kids. also, not sure if there are doctor who or "psych" threads out there, but i enjoy those shows very much. and i dont watch all that much "television".

For clearing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years User with Funniest Signatures 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

I know it has its own thread, but since its never ever used, id like to say that Dan vs. may very well be the best cartoon on tv right now. i find the comedic timing and humorous writing something you rarely see these days on programs aimed toward kids. also, not sure if there are doctor who or "psych" threads out there, but i enjoy those shows very much. and i dont watch all that much "television".

I made a Doctor Who thread, but nobody replied to it.

Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

I'm kind of a big TV nut so I'd probably be here all day if I began discussion all the shows that I like.

Currently the only shows airing new episodes at the moment that I'm watching are Mary Shelley's Frankenhole and Regular Show. I know that Season 16 of South Park starts up in a few weeks so of course I'll be watching that too.

I really hope that Curb Your Enthusiasm and Louie start airing new episodes though; those are easily the best live-action comedies on TV right now and I highly recommend everyone here to try and watch both of them. Especially during a time period where the vast majority of comedies on TV consist of handsome and attractive looking people trying to pull off realistic comedy and act like they're regular people only to fail miserably in the process.

Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

There were always shows filled with hot people because people want to look at hot people all the time.

But there is an interesting thing I learned in college about representation of minorities in tv and movies.

1.First a minority group starts as unrepresented in the media (for example there are very few muslim women on sitcoms and even fewer a few decades ago.)

2.They become stereotype side characters (for example black people started off as maids and butlers and racist depictions of black people)

3. Eventually they become token characters (shows might include a black person just for the sake of showing one) or they are painted in an idealistic light or as being "just like us" (the cosby show where both parents are super succesful doctors with a very "white acting" family)

4. They eventually become "invisible" (now and days black people can be in a show without audiences realizing/caring that the character is not white.) For example, will smith can be in a movie without people thinking they have to write him as a "black character" and most of the time people dont talk about will smith as a black actor they just talk about him as an actor which is a reflection of the progress of race equality in our society. Clearly racism doesn't just magically vanish but it seems fair to say that portrayals of black people in the media have evolved since the uberracism film 'the birth of a nation' of the early 1900s.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

Pretty much the only stuff i watch on television nowadays is the big bang theory (a show in which almost everyone on here hates) and psych (a show in which it seems that only ns2, gendo, and i know of its existence)

Frasier and seinfield are pretty much the only other television shows i can think of that i enjoy.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years "Best Musician" - 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year A Most Excellent Assortment of 25 Matches 11 participants, 18 minutes on your second Lain collab, so this medal is in order. congrats! congrats on participating in over 10 collabs dood Congrats! For completing 10 YTP Tennis matches. For uploading at least 5 YTPs into the Showroom. For completing 5 YTP Tennis matches. Good job.

I do kind of like The Big Bang Theory. It's mostly funny for Sheldon.

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot that new episodes of Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule begin in March

423250_377851405558980_126036000740523_1534010_2100853987_n.jpg

I'm totally watching that.

Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

REDUCE THEIR BRAINS TO MASHED POTATOES

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017

Pretty much the only stuff i watch on television nowadays is the big bang theory (a show in which almost everyone on here hates) and psych (a show in which it seems that only ns2, gendo, and i know of its existence)

not sure if there are doctor who or "psych" threads out there, but i enjoy those shows very much. and i dont watch all that much "television".

Oh, I can't believe I almost forgot that new episodes of Check It Out! with Dr. Steve Brule begin in March

423250_377851405558980_126036000740523_1534010_2100853987_n.jpg

I'm totally watching that.

I love john c reiley so much. Like fucking love that guy.

And yeah i like big bang theory too. It's okay to enjoy trashy entertainment sometimes and sheldon is great.

not sure if there are doctor who or "psych" threads out there, but i enjoy those shows very much. and i dont watch all that much "television".

Yep, what i get for not looking at threads with close detail.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years "Best Musician" - 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year A Most Excellent Assortment of 25 Matches 11 participants, 18 minutes on your second Lain collab, so this medal is in order. congrats! congrats on participating in over 10 collabs dood Congrats! For completing 10 YTP Tennis matches. For uploading at least 5 YTPs into the Showroom. For completing 5 YTP Tennis matches. Good job.

i was just kidding.

I'd also like to reiterate that Seinfeld is without a doubt the greatest sitcom ever made, bar none. Everything about it is brilliant.

Best Writer 2014
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

Yeah I've watched seinfeld since I was like 6 and it's even funnier as an adult. Unearthing/debating/demonstrating social norms has never been so hillarious. Curb Your Enthusiasm can be just as good at times if not funnier but both are excellent.

I am really excited for the new episode of Portlandia tonight, too bad it's the second to last episode of the season.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2013 - Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos http://www.youtube.com/user/magmalord43 Cookie monster thank you for treat! Welcome to Sesame Street. Together Everyone Achieves More For dodgin' strikes with that kirby swagger. For successfully navigating the magic labyrinth of IM Meen.

I think it's pretty funny when I'm watching something dark and serious and then it cuts to commercials for something like feminine hygene products or dishwashing soap.