Cantfly

General Film Discussion

5,167 replies to this topic

kingplatypus

I'm upset that out of the two Dreamworks movies that came out this year, they went with Boss Baby over Captain Underpants. The CU movie clearly had so much creativity and love put into it, not to mention it was much more well received. Honestly, it was my favorite movie that came out last year. It was so fucking great to see a theatrical animated movie so unapologetically wacky and cartoony, mixing a bunch of different styles together and staying so true and respectful to the source material (no doubt it helped that Dreamworks themselves weren't the ones who designed and animated it). There's none of that souless, corporate/Hollywood, cash-grab stink that plagues so many other Dreamworks movies, like Boss Baby. Plus, how amazing would it have been to have something as absurd as Captain Underpants be nominated for an Oscar in the first place?

Thanks for your contribution(s) to the YouChew zine! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

Gray Shadow
9 hours ago, kingplatypus said:

I'm upset that out of the two Dreamworks movies that came out this year, they went with Boss Baby over Captain Underpants. The CU movie clearly had so much creativity and love put into it, not to mention it was much more well received. Honestly, it was my favorite movie that came out last year. It was so fucking great to see a theatrical animated movie so unapologetically wacky and cartoony, mixing a bunch of different styles together and staying so true and respectful to the source material (no doubt it helped that Dreamworks themselves weren't the ones who designed and animated it). There's none of that souless, corporate/Hollywood, cash-grab stink that plagues so many other Dreamworks movies, like Boss Baby. Plus, how amazing would it have been to have something as absurd as Captain Underpants be nominated for an Oscar in the first place?

I'm pretty sure that was the issue. The committee didn't want to nominate a movie called "Captain Underpants" because obviously that's too undignified for the Oscars.

For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

zoc

I mean, a movie called 'Boss Baby' of all things isn't THAT much more dignified lol

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Cornflakes

DU8ic8b.jpg

Reminder that this film was also nominated for Best Animated Feature. 

For getting 90 5-star ratings Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and brush in the morning For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards PIZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 5 years. For collecting all the silver cards Eyelashes! Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Brillemeister
On 1/23/2018 at 9:45 PM, The Pope said:

Also outside of Coco and that 2D movie, the nominees for animated film are utterly laughable. "Academy-Award Winner The Boss Baby".

My thought exactly. Part of me thinks the category was only created to prevent another Beauty and the Beast scenario.

For staying strike free for 1 year.

SharkhamAsylum

I understand the need for a best animated feature category, but I think The Academy is unfairly using the designation as a ghetto from which they pluck out whatever it was Disney or Pixar released during the year. 

At least in my eyes, given what is possible in a live action film and what is possible in an animated film, and what is impossible in each, and accounting for how different the production of each type of film is, I think that each has its own distinct context for gauging its technical or artistic achievement. If Loving Vincent was live-action, for example, it'd just be another biopic, but as an animated film in which each frame is a painstakingly made painting, it's a virtually unprecedented work of animation. I honestly hope that it gets the win over Coco just for that—modern CGI animation continues to dazzle and get better, but fuck, something like Loving Vincent blows my mind if I think about it for more than five seconds. I'd hope that if it got the award, it'd inspire more diversity in the craft and encourage more animators or studios to take bold risks with the medium and do new, spectacular things. I think that sentiment ought to apply to each of the Academy's categories.

It's just a shame, because animation in America generally is made for children, so it's children's movies that get made and become popular, so the reputation of animation being juvenile is reinforced...so it's children's movies like Boss Baby that get nominated for academy awards.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For your contribution to the YouChew Zine! For staying strike free for 7 years. Member with Funniest Posts 2018 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

The Pope

I dunno, I respect the shit out of Loving Vincent, but Coco was absolutely magnificent. And this is coming from a guy who would much prefer animated movies to have a wider range of maturity levels.

But I definitely agree that the Best Animated Picture category is a ghetto that needs looking into; it's not like we see "Best Picture With Some CG Dragons In It" or "Best Picture That Took Place In World War II"; it's so goddamn arbitrary, and it only goes to further create a divide in peoples' minds where animated movies aren't "real" movies.

I'll say this though, if "Remember Me" from Coco loses to "This is Me" from The Greatest Showman like it did at the Golden Globes, then just fuck everything.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Whelt

I liked Coco, but I have to say I'm growing tired of movies that go for inoffensive mass appeal. Your blockbusters and the like. But that's probably my own fault for not seeking out more unique films.

For your contribution to the YouChew Zine! Flame Hyenard defeated with no damage taken in Mega Man X7 Mega Man X4 complete with Zero All upgrades acquired in Mega Man X4 Hadouken and Shoryuken acquired in Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 Mega Man, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 8 complete The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
User with Funniest Avatars 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2018
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The Pope

MovieBob has made this point, but it's okay for movies like Moana and Coco to have standard stories that mass audiences won't have grievances because that helps to normalize Polynesian and Mexican cultures. If they were too weird, nobody would see them. For lack of a better term, they're being social justice warriors, but in a good way; they're helping other cultures feel more normal rather than them being "others".

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

SharkhamAsylum

I just wanna add to my earlier comments: while I think innovation is one of the most important qualities for judging a film's merit, it should never be the only thing used to judge its merit, otherwise you end up with critics fawning over Boyhood, the same incredibly bland white-American-boy-coming-of-age-story that we've seen dozens of times and many times better, just because it took twelve years to make.

57 minutes ago, The Pope said:

If they were too weird, nobody would see them. For lack of a better term, they're being social justice warriors, but in a good way; they're helping other cultures feel more normal rather than them being "others".

While I agree with what you say, I feel like this mass-market hesitance to support the "weird" films from other cultures is what leads to some of this prevailing blandness. At its worst, it can reek of assimilationist ideology—I'm taking you in good faith, Pope, but your use of the word "normal" is one that has a lot of baggage; there's a stench to the at-large excision of the weird from less-represented cultures so that they may be safely marketable to predominantly white, American audiences.

It's naive to expect any big studio to throw real money at promoting, let alone making, weird films, but I want to see the weird—I want to see the weird, deeply personal, boldly unapologetic stories that filmmakers from other cultures can tell, because without them, we get a watered-down portrayal that, more often than not, may be depicting a less-represented culture but is made by the same old suits instead of actual creators from that culture. And in our current situation, marginalized creators that do get to make mainstream work face the unfair burden of needing to represent the entire experience (and market value) of their identity. It's a squealing rat king of power dynamics and other bullshit, though, one that will probably never be dismantled underneath the current hegemony.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For your contribution to the YouChew Zine! For staying strike free for 7 years. Member with Funniest Posts 2018 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

Nozdordomu

Well, the other big nominee that year had critics fawning over it just because it looked like it was shot in a single take. (I like both films, for the record.)

If anyone's curious, the highest-ranked Best Picture winners on imdb are the first two Godfather films. That's not very surprising. I still think Forrest Gump is far too high, though.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

SharkhamAsylum
1 hour ago, Nozdordomu said:

Well, the other big nominee that year had critics fawning over it just because it looked like it was shot in a single take. (I like both films, for the record.)

If anyone's curious, the highest-ranked Best Picture winners on imdb are the first two Godfather films. That's not very surprising. I still think Forrest Gump is far too high, though.

IMDb and Letterboxd are both skewed by intolerable Film Bros™ so i take all of their "highest rated" films with a grain of salt. One of the top-rated films on IMDb is The Dark Knight, last I checked, because duuuuude jokerrr batmannnnn

Nozdordomu

Wow, you really don't like The Dark Knight, lol. I wouldn't call it a bad film by any means, though it's not my favorite one by Chris Nolan. At least it'll never be as overrated as Interstellar.

A lot of people tell me I shouldn't care about the Oscars, and I probably shouldn't, but I end up doing it anyway. It would be one thing if you could write them off as the expensive opinions of fusty, out-of-touch critics, but you don't really have that luxury. Like Lindsay pointed out, there are barely any critics in the Academy at all. Most of the members are actors, producers, and other Hollywood bigwigs - you know, the people who get to say which movies get made, distributed, and promoted. So yeah, it does kind of matter what these people decide is the best film of any given year, even though we'd all like to say it doesn't.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

SharkhamAsylum
1 hour ago, Nozdordomu said:

Wow, you really don't like The Dark Knight, lol. I wouldn't call it a bad film by any means, though it's not my favorite one by Chris Nolan. At least it'll never be as overrated as Interstellar.

I mean, it's an okay movie! I like it. I think it's fine. But it's one of those canonized douchebag films alongside Scarface, The Wolf of Wall Street, Fight Club, and others where regardless of the film's actual quality, I get bad vibes from anyone who calls it their favorite movie.

Whelt

I think I like The Dark Knight Rises better, anyway. Movies with Tom Hardy making a funny voice are good.

For your contribution to the YouChew Zine! Flame Hyenard defeated with no damage taken in Mega Man X7 Mega Man X4 complete with Zero All upgrades acquired in Mega Man X4 Hadouken and Shoryuken acquired in Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 Mega Man, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 8 complete The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
User with Funniest Avatars 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2018
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The Pope

I've said this before, but I find The Dark Knight to be very overrated, except the scenes with the Joker, because every single minute he's on screen is cinematic gold. I really couldn't care less about how Batman needs to "endur mastuh weyn" or Harvey Dent not thinking life is FAAAAAAAAAAIR, but man, Ledger is just a fucking tour de force and he earned that oscar.

Robotic
37 minutes ago, SharkhamAsylum said:

I mean, it's an okay movie! I like it. I think it's fine. But it's one of those canonized douchebag films alongside Scarface, The Wolf of Wall Street, Fight Club, and others where regardless of the film's actual quality, I get bad vibes from anyone who calls it their favorite movie.

It's incredible how many people saw The Wolf of Wall Street and thought, "Wow, I wanna be just like Leo!"

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SharkhamAsylum
7 hours ago, Robotic said:

It's incredible how many people saw The Wolf of Wall Street and thought, "Wow, I wanna be just like Leo!"

i lived with two business majors who idolized Jordan Belfort in my sophmore year. they were the worst people i've ever met.

qmkK9iS.jpg

Doom
37 minutes ago, SharkhamAsylum said:

qmkK9iS.jpg

I want to say this exact thing about Fight Club but I am admittedly wholly unfamiliar with Chuck Palahniuk's political and philosophical beliefs so I actually have no idea how he wants his story to be interpreted. I don't really like thinking about that movie.

For getting 20 awards BWAAAH! For completing 10 matches. For staying strike free for 5 years. Lucario Best Musician 2016
Best Musician 2017
Best Musician 2018 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog featured Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Whoa! You completed five. Here you go! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years August 2014 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest November 2012 - "Pay up." (Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos

The Pope

In one of Lindsay or Bob's videos (I forget which), they had a bit on deconstructions and mentioned how some have their cake and eat it too, like Wolf of Wall Street. "Man, Leo sure is a scummy character! But isn't he kinda fuuuun?"