Naƶmatik

Anime General Discussion

11,941 posts in this topic

Baou becomes more important later on starting the Faudo arc, and while it's always their trump spell (since by design it becomes stronger the more energy's been expended in a fight, and using it saps out pretty much all of Gash and Kiyomaro's remaining heart energy), it's fun to see clever ways in which they make it stronger, specifically Zaguruzemu chicanery and, after Kiyomaro receives the aforementioned power-up, Baou suddenly gets jacked up in its base power.

The Bari fight is fantastic, and his next appearance (in the manga, the anime adds a filler fight between him and Ted for some godforsaken reason considering the two never even meet in the manga, and Bari's real next entrance is in the part of the manga that was skipped) is also great. The Faudo arc is interesting in that it introduces a ton of new allies one after the other, while the villains are, for the most part, unfortunately kinda one-note with a few exceptions. I get the feeling you're gonna like Momon in particular a lot; he's basically Kanchome/Usopp except if instead of cowardly he's perverted, but he gets the same level of depth as those two. Speaking of Kanchome, he probably has the best arc of all of the main protagonists, which is fitting since Usopp also had the best arc of his series. It doesn't go the same direction as Usopp, rather it goes somewhere completely different. You'll have to read/watch to see, but it's great stuff. Folgore's advice hits me where I live and is a great world view in general to live by.

75aInNF.jpg

And yes, the Belugimu E.O. fight is a masterwork. That ending makes me fucking bawl, which is funny seeing how the first half of the fight is hysterical.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Nadia was a good show, but the Africa arc almost ruined it.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

So after a long while, finally got to finish up elDLIVE's 12-episode run. I thought it was pretty nice. The action scenes were pretty cool (and gotta love when Dolugh got his "upgrade"). Some of the more lighthearted scenes were quite funny at times. All in all, I enjoyed it. Expected nothing less from Akira Amano.

That bit where Chuuta and his human/alien coworkers all went bowling was pretty cute, I like it when the aliens just hang out casually and all that, yaaaaaayyyy.

The show did make a few references to Akira Amano's other work Reborn in a few places, mostly a person talking on the TV or radio about the mafia and what's implied to be Tsuna, not much to get too excited about, but those little call-backs are pretty cute. Almost as if Reborn and elDLIVE are implied to take place in the same universe....hmmmmmm.....

Of course, there are still some unanswered questions and loose threads, you can chalk that up to the original manga still ongoing (at a slow pace, at that) and thus had to cut off the anime somewhere within 12 episodes, that's a common problem with anime adaptations sometimes. Hopefully a second season will come up to tie those threads (doubtful since elDLIVE isn't too popular)...if the manga even HAS enough material for a full 12-episode second season at that point, that is.

I'll give the manga a try soon, and see where the anime differs from the comic. I heard Akira Amano's artwork really stands out in the manga and didn't quite completely make the transition to animation (something about her post-Reborn lineart and paint colors), so it might be worth it.

But alas, I'm sure I'm the only one (in this entire forum, at least) who has even seen elDLIVE at ALL, let alone even heard of it... or even know thar Amano's previous work Reborn even exists.... I hear people talk more about their Yuri On Ices and their Dragon Ball Supers and their Nah-roo-toes (or it it BOR-roo-toes now?) and their One Pieces and their Kay-Joes and their Little Witch Macadamia Nuts annie-mays more than they even mention a single word about either Reborn or elDLIVE.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

I saw one episode of it.

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 3 years. August 2014 - "Lady Ski Conquers Compton" (Sentence mix-core) Best Musician 2014, Best Musician 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos September 2013 - Overall, Regular

I watch a minimum of like five shows every season, frequent /a/, MAL, and ANN and have never heard anyone talking about elDLIVE except for you, Ferg. Shows go under the radar all the time, even more so with manga. I don't think I've heard anyone here talk about Magical Girl Raising Project, I like it, but even I can admit it's not a very well written show.

You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

19 hours ago, Ferg said:

Little Witch Macadamia Nuts

I prefer Young Enchantress Pistachio, thank you very much.

But yeah, there are so many anime getting pumped out each season, it makes sense that only a few rise above the rest and get noticed.

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

On 5/17/2017 at 5:25 PM, Heruru Meruru said:

Nadia was a good show, but the Africa arc almost ruined it.

Some episodes of the Island arc I actually enjoyed. I'd say that most of them are necessary to the overall story (barring maybe 1 or 2 episodes) considering there's another character that actually joins them during the arc and the discovery of what the island actually is, but those three episodes in Africa were.... a bit tough to watch, mostly because of how much they made Nadia look like a complete bitch (which granted, she is sometimes, but this took it way too far).

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

So I tried watching through Death Note a little awhile ago but I had to throw in the towel and give up before I could finish it.

The general concept is pretty good, I like that it was basically a mystery/drama more than it was an action anime (which explains why the fucking thing gets adapted into about a dozen different live action dramas), but the writing simply wasn't there enough to support the plot.  Important plot details hinged on sort of bullshitty explanations.  The worst offender for me was how L discovers Light's general location.

I liked the dynamic the story created with Light being this unseeable, 'divine' magic killer and the fact that he couldn't kill L because he didn't know his real name, but then L manages to fool Light into revealing where he is by baiting him into killing a dude on TV.  The guy turns out to be a death row inmate, though, of course, which is such a bullshit throwaway explanation so that the story doesn't have to deal with the fact that L used a human being's life to track down Light.

And that basically encompasses the entire issue with most of the writing.  Also, most of the extended cast was fucking stupid. 

Generally the issue with Death Note is that the concept is way too good for an anime.  Like I said, I understand why it's been adapted as a live action drama series because that's pretty much what the story should be set in.  I dunno if any of the live action dramas are any good or anything, but I'd probably enjoy the series far more if it were live action and the writing was heavily revised to make the plot stronger and more intrinsic. 

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Welp, found another good youtuber who talks about anime stuff. Terrible click-bait headline aside.

For staying warn free for 9 years Best Artist 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

I can only really handle Hyperbit-Hero and Super Eyepatch Wolf in terms of serious anime youtubers.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Avatars 2014 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

4 hours ago, Whelt said:

But yeah, there are so many anime getting pumped out each season, it makes sense that only a few rise above the rest and get noticed.

Yes, that is an unfortunate reality of Japan's anime economy. That's just how capitalism works, like it or not.

Still, you'd think that at least the many veteran Reborn fans from Japan would have flocked to elDLIVE on the basis of "same creator" and "some Reborn call-backs and Easter eggs" at least, since Reborn IS more popular in Japan than its American fanbase...

....on second thought, I DON'T want those fans having Chuuta and his symbiotic alien Dolugh sharing sloppy kisses with each other in their OTP headcanons for no reason that makes sense, ugggghhhhh...

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

3 hours ago, kingplatypus said:

Some episodes of the Island arc I actually enjoyed. I'd say that most of them are necessary to the overall story (barring maybe 1 or 2 episodes) considering there's another character that actually joins them during the arc and the discovery of what the island actually is, but those three episodes in Africa were.... a bit tough to watch, mostly because of how much they made Nadia look like a complete bitch (which granted, she is sometimes, but this took it way too far).

I enjoyed some of the island episodes, too, including a lot of the out-of-place slapstick, though my main problem was how bitchy Nadia was. It's just the Africa episodes that took a huge nosedive in quality.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

2 hours ago, Psychotime said:

Welp, found another good youtuber who talks about anime stuff. Terrible click-bait headline aside.

Mother's Basement is pretty good, mostly for his OP analysis. His most popular one (for obvious reasons) is his talk on the JoJo OPs, and while some of what he says is grasping at straws, a lot of it is stuff I'd never have noticed, such as in the third opening how a sixth star representing Iggy shows up after the other five, or the bits in the fourth op with the lines around Kakyoin, the dagger going towards Joseph, etc. Good stuff.

That being said, his most popular videos overall are ones slagging off SAO, which is definitely understandable. I don't agree him outright with all of his views on the series, but it's definitely not good.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Mother's Basement is nothing compared to FATHER'S GARAGE

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Of course Mob Pyscho had the best OP, not a shadow of a doubt, it's perfect. I had totally forgotten about ERASED and Kiznaiver's OPs until I watched this, the latter really is damn beautiful, shame the show turned out to be so disappointing. DRIFTER's was also really good, though not top 5 for me, no clue on what that show in number two is.

I haven't seen anything else from this channel, but this video made me rethink what to appreciate in adaptations:

You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

I have decided to start watching the dub of Mob Psycho 100 (yeah yeah dubs suck subs are superior etc) and only a few minutes in I already know that I'm going to love Reigen.

4121c4078c.png

He's so cute

Also I just realized the series only has 12 episodes? That's a shame, I thought it would be at least 26 like most anime series.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Most anime gets 10-13 episodes, unless it's popular enough to be picked up for a second season or a big enough name that they sign on for 26 in the first place.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017

YOI announced a movie but still no word on season 2, which after rewatching season 1, it could definitely use more development. Is it still good? Yeah, sure. Is it 10/10 anime of the year? Nah. But it has a ton of potential. I hope they keep rolling with it. The staff is so passionate about it too and it really shows so I can't wait to see where it goes from there.

I'm also waiting on a concrete date for season 2 of Osomatsu-san. I finally caved and watched it, and found it fantastic. I ended up passing it along to a bunch of friends like a virus and now all of us are into it and waiting on season 2.

Man though it's such a shame that Osomatsu-san didn't just end on episode 24's note. It was so... perfect? Like everyone was beginning to grow up and move on. It was sad, bittersweet? But still funny in places. Then they were like SIKE!! and returned to the status quo in the last episode. Which... honestly, I knew it'd happen. It's a doofy comedy show. But Osomatsu-san shows these shades of genuinely touching and sad moments that I'm like... more of this please???? Thank you???

Well anyway. I haven't been keeping track of the newest crop of anime. I gotta catch up on the sports anime of winter, still, like the most recent season of Haikyuu.

So many pictures, so little wall space. This'll make a GREAT omelette! It is written, only Link can defeat Ganon SCRAP METAL! Look at this trophy, that you just won! For getting 20 awards Best Artist 2017

Favorite Staff Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Mmm... spare change? spare change ma'am? PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! bubble gum and taffy EYELASHES! i like you too millhouse (but not in that way) For service! For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the bronze cards Best Artist 2016
Friendliest User 2017 For having a blog featured Participated in the 2015 and 2016 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For winning the Holiday Art Contest 2015 For coming in 3rd in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 1 year.

13 hours ago, Whelt said:

There's been points where there were a 100 shows released per season.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Avatars 2014 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

ONE's series have a surprising number of handsome boys, despite all the weird designs. They dolled up everyone for the Mob Psycho anime, and don't get me started on the OPM redraws.