Naƶmatik

Anime General Discussion

11,919 posts in this topic

She does have lasting influence thanks to the nature of the plot, though she's still not very crucial to it

For staying strike free for 7 years. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016 For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

She does have lasting influence

Yes, on the other characters, which is what it was for. If someone dies right in front of you, it's gonna stick with you.

For staying warn free for 9 years Best Artist 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

She was nothing but a mentor that popped up whenever the main two get over their heads (because they don't have powers yet). That's all she was for three episodes. She was there to explain how the RIDER FIGHT magical girl stuff was supposed to work, save the main two a few times, then die. There's nothing unique or lasting about that. Like Whelt said, it's hard to even consider her a character when that's ALL she was supposed to be.

You might as well say the death of the character based on Huo Yuanjia in the Chinese Connection would have as much impact as an acutal character.

It should affect the CHARACTERS IN THE STORY, sure. But It shouldn't be suprising that the audience doesn't have reason to care.

And yes, thats an AWFUL example. I just wanted an excuse to post that clip.

No she a veteran magic girl trying to convince the other two to make a contract so she would have company, because she was really lonely.

Enough

We will now discuss the series with the best Madoka

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NicXpxU5MAc

Holy shit I completely forgot about this show.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Avatars 2014 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

She was nothing but a mentor that popped up whenever the main two get over their heads (because they don't have powers yet). That's all she was for three episodes. She was there to explain how the RIDER FIGHT magical girl stuff was supposed to work, save the main two a few times, then die. There's nothing unique or lasting about that. Like Whelt said, it's hard to even consider her a character when that's ALL she was supposed to be.

No she a veteran magic girl trying to convince the other two to make a contract so she would have company, because she was really lonely.

All you just said is her reason for explaining the concepts and filling her role as mentor.

Huo Yuanjia was a wise old master who taught his students martial arts for the usual reason of self defense, and he was against using it for vengeance. After he dies, the main character Chen Zhen disobeys that idea and it turns out bad for all the natives in Japan-occupied China.

You're trying too hard.

For staying warn free for 9 years Best Artist 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 10 videos

All you just said is her reason for explaining the concepts and filling her role as mentor.

Huo Yuanjia was a wise old master who taught his students martial arts for the usual reason of self defense, and he was against using it for vengeance. After he dies, the main character Chen Zhen disobeys that idea and it turns out bad for all the natives in Japan-occupied China.

You're trying too hard.

Well what you said implied that she didn't have any to begin with.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Avatars 2014 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

I don't have any interest in watching that show, especially after now finding out that the big "twist" that people keep talking about in the third episode is just one of the characters dying, but I have to side with Psychotime with the fact that I can't really understand how a character death could have much of an effect given how little time that would give a character to be developed. I'd hardly consider that to be a main character and moreso just an object for the plot, which is why it's pretty ridiculous to see the fandom treat her as if she was part of the main cast.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

I don't have any interest in watching that show, especially after now finding out that the big "twist" that people keep talking about in the third episode is just one of the characters dying, but I have to side with Psychotime with the fact that I can't really understand how a character death could have much of an effect given how little time that would give a character to be developed. I'd hardly consider that to be a main character and moreso just an object for the plot, which is why it's pretty ridiculous to see the fandom treat her as if she was part of the main cast.

I totally agree with you on the subject of Mami but that isn't the only big twist in the show. There's several bigger ones, and I still recommend it.

Or you could just not watch it, if you like. Whatever you please

For staying strike free for 7 years. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016 For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

Yes, Mami's death is just the point where playtime is over and shit gets real, that's why people talk about it so much. Her death isn't nearly the biggest twist in the show.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

I don't have any interest in watching that show, especially after now finding out that the big "twist" that people keep talking about in the third episode is just one of the characters dying

There's MUCH better twists than that as it goes on, but as I keep repeating, I find the fandom behind Madoka plain ridiculous, and they take so much of the fun out an otherwise decent show.

I find the fandom behind Madoka plain ridiculous, and they take so much of the fun out an otherwise decent show.

Yeah, you could say that about pretty much any fandom. Kingdom Hearts, Sonic, Homestuck...

I'm sure MLP is a decent show but...that fanbase. Ugh. Makes me want to stay as far away from it as possible so I don't ever wind up associated with it

Pretty much everything has an awful fanbase somewhere on the internet. Some things more than others.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

Episode three was the one part that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

What is particularly shocking about it, exactly? Maybe I came in on the wrong foot and I WASN'T supposed to know that the premise of the series was as a DARK take on the Magical Girl genre? Was I supposed to come into it expecting everything to be all happy and bubbly that a mentor dying seems to come out of nowhere? Not even normal Magical Girl shows are that hokey.

A mentor dying happens all the time.

Being the Mentor is never an easy job. Fighting the Big Bad yourself and stopping The End of the World as We Know It would be easy — in fact, you've probably been there, done that. But, no, now you have to take this Naïve Newcomer under your wing and teach them the ropes of herodom.

If you don't have to convince The Chosen One who just wants to be normal to grow a spine and accept the Call to Adventure, you have to convince your blindly excited and dangerously eager young pupil that You Are Not Ready to learn the Dangerous Forbidden Technique. When you try to protect The Hero from the Awful Truth, you end up facing their Rage Against the Mentor. You have to maintain an ongoing conspiracy to keep The Hero Locked Out of the Loop. If they're an orphan, you have to find them a set of Muggle Foster Parents while keeping social services in the dark. You have to endure accusations of insanity when you're trying to teach your charge that Your Eyes Can Deceive You, give them advice on how to tell a love interest "It's Not You, It's My Enemies," and keep a close eye on them 24/7.

And what is your reward for all this patience and effort?

You die.

Yes, there is a 90-100% chance that the Cool Old Guy who has stood by The Hero's side through thick and thin since the first episode/chapter/installment gets offed before the climax of the story. He might get an Obi-Wan Moment if he's lucky. He's just that cool: Too Cool to Live. It's necessary for The Hero's development — can they rise to the occasion and save the day without their teacher holding their hand? Are they ready to accept the torch?

Episode three was the one part that really left a bad taste in my mouth.

What is particularly shocking about it, exactly? Maybe I came in on the wrong foot and I WASN'T supposed to know that the premise of the series was as a DARK take on the Magical Girl genre? Was I supposed to come into it expecting everything to be all happy and bubbly that a mentor dying seems to come out of nowhere? Not even normal Magical Girl shows are that hokey.

A mentor dying happens all the time.

It was the shock factor of it when the episode first aired. No one expected the show to take such a dark turn out of nowhere. Nowadays it has a lot less impact because everyone knows what Madoka's really like.

It's like

Kamina dying

in Gurren Lagann, it was a HUGE deal back in the day but it's been so badly spoiled that it holds no weight

I honestly have yet to encounter the said fandom. The only feedback I ever got on this show came from /a/ and by now they pretty much hate it for the simple fact that it became a cash cow after the second recap movie, of course theres still fans, even on there but it turns out they are a minority, so it seems at least. I am late on that matter sadly since I finished the series last weekend which is a year after it ended officially. I myself enjoyed it a lot and if I happen to be said terrible fandom I apologise on that matter I really try to not be to obsessive with things but this was just plain entertaining in my book.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For meeting Bloodis and becoming one with the Chinese cartoons Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 For having taste. Also, happy birthday! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

I'd still argue that in the instance of TTGL that Kamina at least was around for a longer amount of time so that when he died it felt more like a member of the cast actually disappeared. I can't say for sure whether or not it was really impactful since I quit watching the show before it got to that point but it still makes more sense to me than what I'm hearing about Medulla Oblongata or whatever.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

Kamina's death utterly destroys Simon for a good 4-5 episodes and changes the entire dynamic of the cast so yeah it's a pretty big deal

and you need to stop stopping with good anime

It's like

Kamina dying

in Gurren Lagann, it was a HUGE deal back in the day but it's been so badly spoiled that it holds no weight

The difference with that is

He was a major character and contributed for most of the first season, and until then, your average viewer assumed that HE was the main character. It tricks you the entire time, and that made his death much more impactful. I don't think you can compare them.

I managed to not have that bit spoiled for me, and it was a good twist.

Mami only lasted three episodes doing nothing but helping out the obvious main characters, and only ever bothered being on screen when the main characters needed her help.

Kamina was the rebel leader, took the spotlight in every scene he was in, and kept that spotlight for 8 episodes. You aren't SUPPOSED to know that his wimpy sidekick in the background, Simon, was the character we're actually following, and this was completely intentional.

I wasn't comparing their value as characters, just what their deaths meant for the shows themselves.