appdirect

Metroid Thread: Threaderation Force

603 replies to this topic

Emperor Ing

Contra 4, especially in its gushing emulation and adulation of Contra 1, felt like a "that's so 80s" approach to Contra. Like lol, remember all those cuh-razy aliens from Contra, man? It was a game without ambition. Those big bosses? They don't do anything! The weapons? Ignoring all the advancements to the controls made in Hard Corps.

Hell, Hard Corps Uprising wasn't really a Contra game, but at least its heart was in the right place. I can't really say the same for Contra 4. And of the 2 16bit contras, I'd much rather play Hard Corps. Hell, I'd rather play the N64 Contra.

=====

Intelligent Systems could make a Metroid, though I think the only metroid they had direct control over was Fusion, which worries me because if they were to do another 2D Metroid they might just import all the annoying things over from Fusion (unskippable cutscenes, locked doors, worthless powerups, etc).

I might be wrong though. I think it's funny how Fusion's bloated plot is so unwieldy, no one has attempted to make a game that takes place after it for going on a decade now. If that's not a testament to wonky writing, I don't know what is.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

Cantfly

Metroid Blast was set up as a more action-based game, but the controls themselves worked really well. If someone built a more Metroidy experience around that control scheme then I'd probably love it. Hell, why didn't Other M use that control scheme? It would've worked way better for the game than holding the remote sideways of all things.

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

Dee

Contra 4's biggest problem was that it had to many callbacks to 1 and especially 3 and forgot that the horizontal levels were the worst thing ever in Contra 1 while forgetting that Hard Corps exists.

While I agree that contra 1 horizontal levels were the worst part, I feel like they really improved them in 4 and they're actually fun for once.

I do agree about the callbacks. I wish it had some original material than just imitating Contra 1-3 again. Not a bad game but in fact its a great game but I feel like they could've done much more with it.

Its also sad that it is the last "real" contra game and that was 3-4 years ago(unless its much older than i remembered). There's that spiritual sequel Uprising made by the Guilty Gear guys which was pretty good but again not a real contra game and probably should've been an original IP or something.

Why the hell is Konami forgetting that Contra exist nowadays?

For staying strike free for 7 years. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. First place in the Super Smash Smackdown! 3DS singles
First place in the Super Smash Smackdown! Wii U singles
First place in the Super Smash Smackdown³! Wii U singles For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Placing #3 in the Wheel Gator Speed Run. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!

Emperor Ing

Because:

A) Konami is headed now by Hideo Kojima

B) Konami is hemorrhaging money (AFAIK), which might be related to A

C) It only sees a few key franchises as its breadwinners, paying for its bloated graphics spending

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

SBB_GameMaster

That reminds me, Konami has owned Hudson for a while now......how's about a new Bomberman game? Please Konami? Do it for me.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years

SBB_GameMaster

Let me rephrase that:

Konami, please let the Hudson employees you now own make a new Bomberman game, but try not to have any direct involvement yourselves.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years

SushieBoy

Didn't Intelligent Systems also program the original Metroid? They have the most experience handling the series besides Retro and Nintendo themselves, so I think they would be good for it.

Also adding to something that was said last page the mode 7 stuff in Contra 3 is so horribly shoehorned it's funny. Konami got carried away in trying to make it look as flashy and as 16-BIT as possible and forgot to make the actual Mode 7 levels good, same thing with Castlevania IV, Mode 7 added absolutely nothing to the experience in that game, seriously. The rotating rooms and how some of the bosses spun into oblivion was all just silly.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

Emperor Ing

Metroid had been mainly handled and created by R&D1, which was Nintendo's crack force of programmers and designers. They sadly don't exist anymore, as after Zero Mission (which was one of the last games made by R&D1) they were absorbed into other development studios, such as Nintendo SPD.

And I was mistaken, as R&D1 in fact handled the development of Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission. The games have some unfortunate flaws, but at least they play very well.

Also: Intelligent Systems IS Nintendo. Just as R&D1 is Nintendo. They are (or one was) both first-party studios.

<br />

Whelt

Yes, I know. I just think they would do a good job, no mention of them being a third party.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

SkyBlueFox

As much flak as I give the series, I don't think I really outright hate any of them, including the original Metroid. I just find them difficult to engage myself in playing.

Though I will admit that Metroid NES does look less appealing without that one mod that changes the sprites and adds the minimap.

Lucario For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 12976 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For his premier article "A Brief History of Minecraft: From the Creative Mode to Ender Dragons" For being on the Vanilla forums for 90 days before it was shut down

Emperor Ing

Am I alone in hating the original Metroid?

No, but that multiple people hate Metroid on the NES doesn't make it any less heinous.

Metroid has all the hallmarks of being one of those excellent, tightly-designed early Nintendo games - unlike the remake, Zero Mission, there's no fluff or filler - it's a straight-forward non-linear world to explore (because once you get the bombs and some missiles you more or less have access to the entire map).

The original trilogy is very good - if not superb - in letting you explore the game-worlds in your own fashion, and giving you every tool necessary to succeed without tacking on pointless stuff. For that reason alone they are some of the best games ever.

<br />

Whelt

I like the Prime trilogy more than the originals. It provides the same nonlinear experience but ramps up the atmosphere. Granted it's a much slower game, but all the better to take in the surroundings.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

SushieBoy

I think the original Metroid has a horrible backwards difficulty curve. Your first beam can't shoot farther than your face, and you only get 30 health right out of the gate. You can't get into a rhythm of exploring since you keep dying all the time (at least I did, the first couple of steps were actually a bit excruciating, you're so weak against everything until you get a few energy tanks and and the Varia suit) by the time you have enough health to actually do things and progress, the game becomes easier, but once you get the Screwattack... hoo-boy... the game becomes a walk in the park. Nothing can touch you, simple as that. It doesn't help that Ridley is easy as shit while Kraid can be really tough even though you face Ridley later on, so you'd think he would be more difficult, but no. It's the same thing with Kid Icarus, I swear. you have little to no health right out of the gate and your weapon is severely limited, the first 3 stages or so are atrocious but once you get more upgrades, the game snowballs into being a cakewalk. It was so easy I got the best ending on my first try, I spent like 2 hours on the first 3 levels but it was worth 'dat kiss from Palutena.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

SashicX

I prefer the Metroid Prime series than the original Metroid games. The hard difficultly, unique items like the different kinds of Balls and Beam powerups, and the puzzle solving gameplay is what I like about the Prime series. Nice atmosphere in the worlds too.

2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Congratulations! For placing sixth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 85,000 Chewbucks! Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Ranked among December 2011's Top 10 list in the Sentence Mix-Core category. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 61 days before it was shut down

SushieBoy

I'm not a big fan of Metroid 1, it's groundbreaking and all but it's just not fun to play for the most part. I haven't played through II all the way, all I know is that it really should've had a dang map by then because everything looks even more similar due to the lack of color and detail. that and most of the sound effects are horrifying. KSSHKKSSSHK KSSSHK KSSSHK YOURE DEAD. Now with Super it's really one of the most perfectly crafted games ever, it's one of my top favorites.

I've only played the first Prime but it's not really my cup of tea, I enjoyed it but I prefer 2D Metroid. That doesn't mean I don't see how brilliantly designed it is, it's probably the most solid 2D to 3D transition in any game series. I really need to play Prime 2 and 3.

Dieathan

I think all the Metroid Prime games are excellent. The thrid one was a bit too easy at times but all of them have some amazing atmosphere. Not too big on earlier Metroid games but I do love Super Metroid and I thought Fusion was good.

I also played Metroid Prime 2 today for the first time since 2005 to see if I could finally beat the Boost Guardian on Hard mode. Died a few times while figuring out what to do, but I beat him eventually. Definitely one of the harder boss fights in a Metroid game.

For staying strike free for 5 years. The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Babilonio

If we get a new Metroid, I want it to be either 2D like the old ones or in first person like Metroid Prime, because that's what I expect from Metroid. Also, after Other M I think the series needs to go back to what it does best.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Congratulations! For placing second in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 400,000 Chewbucks! Go nuts. March 2012 - Overall, Regular March 2012 - "Smoke weew ekoms" (YTPMV) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos