EmmBee

Team Fortress 2

5,844 replies to this topic

AGSMA

I've mentioned before that crowdsourcing TF2 for the community could and should happen. With the ever increasing amount of community-made updates becoming official, not to mention the maps, I'm surprised that Valve hasn't done anything similar yet. If they're more worried with CSGO and Dota 2's population and the big turnoil that was skin gambling, which is a big and serious issue that Valve should've adressed a lot sooner, why not focusing on those games in particular and let the community manage TF2 and fix what it's been missing in this game for years? You know, new weapons, improved hitboxes, competent bots, VR support that has been teased ever since the hype of VR gaming (until Facebook purchased Oculus) and then lifted in Source games, among other things.

Epic Games has already shown that crowdsourcing one of their IPs can be a successful thing, with the new Unreal Tournament being worked on by fans and their content shipped for the final product with Epic's blessing. Is it too hard for Valve to put TF into a similar proccess to prevent half-assed updates? End of the Line could've had all the promissed content if Valve had 0% input in it, and that means Snowplow being in the update, more weapons, no bonus ducks and other stuff that the community wanted. Invasion didn't went through similar shit, and that's a plus.

It would be heartbraking if with the Meet Your Match fiasco Valve decided to give up on TF and give minor patches for now on. And honestly, TF's death wouldn't make me move myself to Overwatch because the game still looks like typical Blizzard blandness and not engaging at all. PVKII all the way.

Steam has taken a big chunk of Valve's employees when it comes to managing scams and stupidity, CSGO and Dota also takes another big chunk of the staff, SteamVR is becoming a trend if the hardware becomes afforadble to anyone. TF still has Robin Walker and a small group of people, and the rest doesn't even bother with other IPs that got shelved. You should definitely say that Valve needs a bit of restructuring.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

MAZZ0Murder

New update?! Guess I'll have to dust off the MAZZinator, and see if I got any skillz at all!

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years It's a little itchy. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - "Chick-Fil-A-Ghey_Spaghetti" (Classic) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 73 days before it was shut down From scrubbing all the floors in Hyrule to pinching Wendy's pennies and much more, this medal commemorating poop uploading is hereby awarded to you! Ten matches! Five matches! For meeting up with Yenehckcid! Thanks for being Strike-Free! Congrats

zoc

Sooo I tried out TF2 in its current state w/ Pope after not having played for months and while the gameplay is still alright enough the lobby system almost literally makes me want to fucking puke. It's blatantly obvious Valve's trying to compete w/ Overwatch and failing horrifically, theres this dumbass wait time after every match (TWO FUCKING MINUTES before the connect screen shows up now, instead of the 30~ something seconds before, like what the fuck it's not even that bad in OW), you can't really normally connect to a server w/o going thro these dumbass match-making hoops and there's a bunch of jarring transitions that feel like they shouldn't belong in TF2. It ruins the whole game for me because of how arbitrary and forced it is and the simplicity that made the game a great go-to for a bad mood or just some quick shooting action is just turned into this follow-the-leader bullshit.

I will say that the new UI uptop showin the players is neat I guess, I'm an attentive player so if there's a Medic or w/e givin me trouble I'll know when he's gone without having to pressing Tab or something. But yeah just like, there's a ton of fat that needs to be trimmed because it has NO REASON to be there and if Valve just does that I won't have any problems, because at it is it affects the experience and makes it jarring enough to the point where I don't even want to play.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • You can still join public, non-Valve servers like normal.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Life

do people play in them again? normal community servers that weren't shit like 24/7 [insert map] were pretty dead last i played

Wads of dosh Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

RGS

I thought that every community server was 24/7 Minecraft Trade servers that had high lag lately. Or at least it was like that last time I checked.

For the work you've done on the review of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo. For staying strike free for 1 year. For getting 20 awards For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Sentence mix-core) Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For having a blog featured For the Cool Cat Saves the Kids Collab, great job! Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For getting all the standard ornaments An Avid Collaborator is YOU! For participating in 10 successful collaborations. For going above and beyond with the Gamers Collab! For the Gamers Collab--CONGRATULAAAAATIONS! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

zoc
    7 hours ago, JimPaladin said:

You can still join public, non-Valve servers like normal.

huh? Well alright, still tho its just dumb that its forced at all lol. I wish valve would backtrack or somethin.

Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • People play normals more than ever now.  In a way, this is something akin to a blessing in disguise since it's revitalized (a little bit) pub communities.  I mean Skial still reigns supreme and everything but I actually saw people playing on Orange_x3 servers and shit.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

XxRobotChaoxX

VALVE NEED TO WORK YOUR OWN JOB LIKE GABE NUWELL

For staying strike free for 7 years. Top 10 Videos of Aug 2016_2 (Classic) For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos

AGSMA

http://pastebin.com/8dbqvv04

Called it. Freakin called it.

This will very likely ruin the Frontline pitch that a lot of people have been working on over the past few months, but in the end, this will, without a doubt, give some steam to this ageing game, considering that only five Valve employees are currently working on TF2. I'm completely unsure if anyone here will care about going back to this game after the mess that was Meet Your Match, but this is, very likely, going to be a big step up from updates like Robotic Boogaloo and End of the Line, if Valve doesn't pull off a middle finger à la Snowplow. Yadda yadda, people keep complaining about Valve being lazy punks and such, but hey, the creators will get paid for their contributions, cosmetics or not, and most importantly, they, for the most part, don't screw up with the game's aesthetics like Valve does. I'm probably feeling a tad too optimistic about this change of pace, specially me who stopped playing TF after the mess that was End of the Line, two years ago, but only time will tell if they're improving TF or not. As for actual Valve updates, this is an opportunity for them to fix a vast majority of issues the game has had over these past years without focusing on hats, unusuals and other stuff.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • 12 hours ago, AGSMA said:

working on TF2

lol

This is a pretty sound move for a lot of reasons, though.  It'll allow updates to be less exclusive, it'll fix the drama related to revenue splits, it will help streamline the process of players making content for the game, etc.  This should have been done years ago, because now when a community update is in the brew, everyone can have open access to it and it's just a more organized and understandable process that cuts out some of the petty bullshit that was attached to some of the past community-made updates.

That said, it's obviously too little too late and no one except the insane idiots who still play TF2 are going to care about it, and even then most TF2 players probably still won't care that much.

Maq

Team Fortress 2 more like Scout is hot

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

AGSMA

TF2 still has a decent population on average, even surprising is how steady it got after the disaster it was Meet your Match. It recently started to drop over the past month or so but it's likely to be temporary only. Still, it continues to be in the top 3 most played games on Steam, and for a nine year-old game it's still pretty respectable. Being the optimistic man that I am, I believe that these new community-driven updates will stabilize its population or increase the player base by at least a couple thousands of players or so. Too late to make that happen? Yeah, no doubt. No turning back and dead in the water? I don't think so. If anything, TF2 can become the cartoon equivalent of CS 1.6 over the coming years, even if its population will consist solely of elitists or other types of derranged players. I can always go back to it, but PVK is far more addicting to play and I want to fulfill my duty as a beta tester.

The Pope

I still love TF2 as a game, but the new lobby is 100% ass. If Valve fixes it, I could go back and play it. If not, I guess it's Overwatch for me.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Maq

Seriously though, I never really got into the game but the most I remember about it is in about 2009-2010 (when I first joined) that Ruthie would constantly talk about how hot Scout is, and I shipped him with Sniper, who I also thought was hot.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • 1 hour ago, AGSMA said:

TF2 still has a decent population on average, even surprising is how steady it got after the disaster it was Meet your Match. It recently started to drop over the past month or so but it's likely to be temporary only. Still, it continues to be in the top 3 most played games on Steam, and for a nine year-old game it's still pretty respectable. Being the optimistic man that I am, I believe that these new community-driven updates will stabilize its population or increase the player base by at least a couple thousands of players or so. Too late to make that happen? Yeah, no doubt. No turning back and dead in the water? I don't think so. If anything, TF2 can become the cartoon equivalent of CS 1.6 over the coming years, even if its population will consist solely of elitists or other types of derranged players. I can always go back to it, but PVK is far more addicting to play and I want to fulfill my duty as a beta tester.

A lot of TF2's population is literally just trade bots, though.  I remember an insider reporting as many as 60% or more of the players on TF2 during certain hours of the day are either bots that are idling or just unmanned trade bots, and looking at the servers, I can certainly believe that.  It's almost fucking insane, because the game has a fairly healthy economy and yet not many people seem to play it?

AGSMA
    8 hours ago, JimPaladin said:

A lot of TF2's population is literally just trade bots, though.  I remember an insider reporting as many as 60% or more of the players on TF2 during certain hours of the day are either bots that are idling or just unmanned trade bots, and looking at the servers, I can certainly believe that.  It's almost fucking insane, because the game has a fairly healthy economy and yet not many people seem to play it?

Oh. Well, that's different. It makes me want to guess how big the percentage of trade servers are compared to the rest, since when the game adopted a CSGO approach last year.

Hopefully the amount of lawsuits that Valve is receiving thanks to skin gambling will put their shit together and completely rearrange both games. It took a long while for us to finally get refunds on Steam, earlier this year. so with enough noise we'll make a difference for the sake of everyone.

zoc
    12 hours ago, The Pope said:

I still love TF2 as a game, but the new lobby is 100% ass. If Valve fixes it, I could go back and play it. If not, I guess it's Overwatch for me.

Agree 100%. It's so horribly designed that it just drags down the game for me. Granted I haven't played the game religiously in years anyway but right now I have literally no reason to lol.

MAZZ0Murder

Yeah I just tried it on Halloween. It's like Global Offense's lobby, but it's better the old way. Just because you need to keep your job it doesn't mean you have to make unnecessary changes!

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years It's a little itchy. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - "Chick-Fil-A-Ghey_Spaghetti" (Classic) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 73 days before it was shut down From scrubbing all the floors in Hyrule to pinching Wendy's pennies and much more, this medal commemorating poop uploading is hereby awarded to you! Ten matches! Five matches! For meeting up with Yenehckcid! Thanks for being Strike-Free! Congrats

CODEREDJAROD

I'm pretty sure nobody likes the new lobby. Fortunately for me I seem to have little to no problem finding games in casual mode, but I still like quick play better. The main positive I can give to the new lobby is the xp system. I wish it gave rewards for leveling up, but the xp system does give me a good motive to play the mode, as I just love seeing that meter go up.

Mega Man X series complete Flame Hyenard defeated with no damage taken in Mega Man X7 The birds are singing Mega Man X5 complete with all upgrades Mega Man X4 complete with Zero Hadouken and Shoryuken acquired in Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 Mega Man II for Game Boy complete Mega Man classic series complete Mega Man, Mega Man 2, and Mega Man 3 complete Australia, here we CUUUM!!! BWAAAH! For collecting all the bronze cards ...and smells like one, too. sometimes pizza times it sometimes it sometimes it sometimes pizza times pizza I can't give credit! For getting 20 awards For the Team Fortress II collab! For the Team Fortress II collab! The galaxy is at peace Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid 100% Metroid Prime 100% Super Metroid Wave Beam early Super Metroid complete Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017_2 / Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017_2 (Regular) For being a part of the Recommended Poops of June 2017 Best Newcomer 2017 Thanks for the donation. For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System SPARE CHANGE MA'AM? Hey, gimme a boost, Mario.

That's a lot of love! Eyelashes! For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! Top 10 Videos of Aug 2016 (Classic)