• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
SushieBoy

Nintendo New™ Super™ 3DS™ Thread™™

5,810 replies to this topic

The Pope   
The Pope

I dunno, I totally get a different vibe from 3D Land than I do from NSMB.

To me, 3D Land feels like the natural progression from the 2D games to 3D, in both form and function. They're short, linear levels, which is what the 2D games did. Visually, it feels very much like a 2D Mario put into the third dimension.

With NSMB, it feels like someone in modern times attempting to emulate what a 2D game would look like in 3D, as opposed to actually doing it. It feels far more fakey, forced, and artificial.

Besides, 3D Land's cartooniness comes off as natural, whereas NSMB has to use Bros. and dancing Koopas that dance along with the Bros. like they're something to be praised and oh my fucking god I hate that so much you have no goddamned idea

The fact that I was humming 3D Land's soundtrack while playing as opposed to attempting to gouge out my ear canal with a wooden spoon certainly gives points in its favor. It actually sounded like how old Mario games would sound, as opposed to needing stupid fucking noises to make it sound "retro". Because, you know, all of the classic games had Bros. peppered in, right? Right.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Essemkay   
Essemkay

Does anyone know of a Foxreplace-esque extension for Chrome so I can filter "FUCK FUCK" to something like "hi I'm pope and i whine about trivial things?"

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Coming in 3rd in the Super Smash Smackdown! for Youchew&3DS Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

randomcontributor   
randomcontributor

What I don't like about 3D Land is mostly how little it has to offer. The graphics are pretty and better than the NSMB games, but the gameplay is just samey, the levels aren't designed in a way that makes me want to replay them, nor are they lengthy, and those neat little optical illusion puzzles? More of those please. Sure, it attempted to be different than the other 3D games, but it needed to deliver more than what it did. I kinda like to think of it as a tech demo for the 3D.

For staying warn free for 9 years For meeting Markie! For getting 20 awards Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years March 2012 - "SOME ASIAN GUYS FIGHT OVER A ROOM KEY" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos December 2011 - Regular, Overall, Classic For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Well done, Link. For being on the Vanilla forums for 72 days before it was shut down 25 poops in the showroom. For uploading 5 YTP's in the Showroom.

The Pope   
The Pope

Well, the second half (i.e. the real meat of the game) had some challenging levels, so there's that.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

randomcontributor   
randomcontributor

Yeah, but about half of them were just the normal levels with cosmic clones or 30 second time limits.

For staying warn free for 9 years For meeting Markie! For getting 20 awards Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years March 2012 - "SOME ASIAN GUYS FIGHT OVER A ROOM KEY" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos December 2011 - Regular, Overall, Classic For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Well done, Link. For being on the Vanilla forums for 72 days before it was shut down 25 poops in the showroom. For uploading 5 YTP's in the Showroom.

Whelt   
Whelt

It's definitely better than the NSMB games out so far, but it suffers the same fundamental problems. Very lacking in originality, and giving out way too many lives so that even if the levels are difficult, it doesn't matter.

Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The Pope   
The Pope

The lives system has been obsolete since the games have been on consoles as opposed to arcades (i.e. since the first Super Mario Bros.), yet it remains because Nintendo is afraid of change. So really, it doesn't matter how many lives a game throws at you, because there's really no point unless you're playing in an arcade with a finite game time limit.

EmmBee   
EmmBee

I sort of agree with Whelt, it's a bad 3D series game when it's put up against SMG 1 and 2, and even Sunshine and 64 to a degree, but on it's own, it's a pretty good game. And leagues better than the NSMB games. I just wish, like Random said, that it had more to offer. No extra game modes or anything. It's just the main game, then you're done. Even that bonus world is kind of boring.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

Whelt   
Whelt

Except it does matter, because the games are still designed to use lives, they just don't.

Mario 64 and Sunshine really didn't use lives, they were just pointless tokens, because you literally lost nothing more from a game over than you did for losing one life. But those games were designed differently, so in the end it didn't matter. The challenge comes from other aspects than trying not to die. The NSMB games and 3D Land are designed like old Mario games, where your goal is to go straight through a level without dying, and you should lose your progress if you get a game over. But you have so many lives that it just won't happen.

It's kind of like... taking a survival horror game, changing nothing about it except now you get tons of ammo instead of a limited amount. It doesn't make the levels or enemies themselves any easier, but it kind of cheapens the game because there's no real risk of running out.

Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

3D Land certainly is an interesting experiment of 2D and 3D Mario and it's probably the most "different" Mario game since Galaxy, if only for being placed in an awkward point between dimensions. but other than the gameplay not really knowing what it is, it still lacks it's own distinct style and overall feel. I don't really like the controls, having to push 3 buttons to do a simple long jump can be a pain, and I feel like the level design in general feels really sparse, like everything is placed so far apart. Either that or it's that most of the 2D elements of Mario had to be simplified in a way to work in the third dimension, I dunno. I can't really explain it. 3D Land didn't really click with me, it's not a bad game, but it is the worst 3D Mario. Oh, and the game has a grand total of three different boss battles, Boom Boom, Pom Pom, and Bowser. Pathetic.

It's got some catchy tunes for the most part, though.

Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

Whelt   
Whelt

I also really don't like the jumping physics. I get that they were trying to emulate the 2D jumping style, where you have less control in the air, but it feels so wrong when it's like that in 3D.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

Yeah, that too.

You know what I just realized, Nintendo might keep going with the 3D Land series, they've been cranking out the 3D Mario games recently, with Galaxy 2 and 3D Land both coming out not far from each other. i really hope they don't. 3D Land feels so blandfor the most part, fully 3D on a handheld can work, but Nintendo needs to add more flare to it. Like they did with Galaxy, just don't make Galaxy 3.

Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

SashicX   
SashicX

On the subject of Super Mario 3D Land, I do agree with you Whelt because it's true that the game itself gives you a lot of lives very easily Also, the levels felt very short and a little too easy. While Super Mario 3D Land wasn't my most favorite game, it was not a bad game. I did enjoy the music a lot and the levels were very fun to play through.

2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Congratulations! For placing sixth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 85,000 Chewbucks! Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Ranked among December 2011's Top 10 list in the Sentence Mix-Core category. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 61 days before it was shut down

The Pope   
The Pope

The NSMB games and 3D Land are designed like old Mario games, where your goal is to go straight through a level without dying, and you should lose your progress if you get a game over. But you have so many lives that it just won't happen.

a) That's dumb. The challenge should come from beating a level, not beating a level within X number of tries. Punishment should come from dying, not from dying X number of times. It's one thing for the arcades to make you feed another quarter, but why should you be punished when dying a certain number of times? How does that add anything to gameplay?

B) What happens when you get a game over? You watch Mario fall down, sad music plays, you wait 10 seconds before you can hit "Continue", Mario goes "Yees!" and runs off, then you're back at the map screen, you move over to the level you were at, and you start again. So what progress do you lose? Nothing. So what's the point of Game Overs, then? Nothing. All they are is a colossal waste of time.

May I point you to, again, Rayman Origins. That game was hard as balls at points, yet there wasn't some arbitrary number of times you were allowed to die before you were booted to the main screen, completely interrupting the flow of gameplay. If you die, you go back to a checkpoint. That's it. Like Yahtzee said, it has the perfect balance of being difficult, but not frustratingly so. It makes you want to keep playing, as opposed to thrusting you out of the experience by going OH NO SO SORRY YOU LOST YOUR LIVES WHICH MEANS NOTHING, YOU GET A 30 SECOND TIME-OUT.

Rex507   
Rex507

I'm giving Super Mario 3D Bros. a pass because I accidentally beat 7-1 in about 5 seconds and couldn't help but laugh.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years October 2011 I.M. NOT HIDDEN ANY MORE You won! For outstanding service in the realms of Gamelon, da Mushroom Kingdom, Koridai et all, this medal is hereby awarded to Rex507 on April 8th, 2010 by Administrator Emperor Ing, for being one of the three distinguished winners of the CD-i Contest.<br />
<br 
Congratulations! For placing fifth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 160,000 Chewbucks!

The Pope   
The Pope

Presentation-wise, yeah.

But I don't know, I think I might actually like Mario Kart 7 more.

To be honest, I don't think I've played a single 3DS game that made me feel like I had to buy the system. OoT, MK7, Kid Dickarus, Kingdom Hearts 3D and Super 3D Bros. were all varying degrees of decent to good, but nothing that I've gone gaga over.

Though that'll probably change once the new Fire Emblem comes out, probably a year after it's already been released because Nintendo of America is a bunch of blithering idiots.

2013calendar.jpg

do want

randomcontributor   
randomcontributor

The only 3DS game I'm even remotely looking forward to so far is it's version of the upcoming Smash Bros. game. I'm gonna be waiting for quite a while.

God I need to expand my horizons.

Captpan6   
Captpan6

Because the control issues in Kid Icarus become transparent after a degree of time it is more than deserving of the title of "Best 3DS Game". Mario Kart is fun but virtually behind in the times when compared to the slew of other kart racing games.

Smartest User 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years A Secret Achievement? I tell ya what isn't a secret; this award stinks! DO HOHOHOHOHO! For getting 90 5-star ratings Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years July 2012 - "The Worst Sonic Fanfiction Ever" (Overall, Regular) Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 60 videos with a 5 star rating May 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 80 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 99 days before it was shut down 10 strong 5 strong For being a good pet owner. Good job! For winning lucky lottery!
Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

The Pope   
The Pope

Uh...what? I'd say it's the best Mario Kart yet. The track selection's great, it controls great, it looks great, and it has great online play.