• Announcements

• Whelt

Regarding the recent update   07/20/2017

As you may be aware, the forum software underwent an update that turned out to be somewhat buggy. We rolled back the update for now, and will plan on making a more smooth transition later on in the future. In the meantime, you may notice the forum loading slowly as a lot of processes are running right now. We ask for your continued patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

5,876 posts in this topic

Since the old thread is locked.

Anyway, I watched Blazing Saddles again. One of the funniest films out there for sure; always a blast.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Thanks for being Strike-Free! Congrats on winning YCP Trivia! Oh boy, 5 matches! For loving lago! Thanks for all the damn contributions! For writing news.

Laura, in my film noir class.

Already want to rewatch it. Despite its length (88 minutes) Preminger managed to make an unpredictable and compelling mystery. And it even has Vincent Price in it as some so-wealthy-he's-dumb socialite character before he got typecasted into horror roles. It was amazing, I didn't even realize it was him.

Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 26 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS THERE, SITS THE ONLY KING, I MEAN TO BEND MY KNEE TO October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 81 days before it was shut down For your match versus your brother, ThePlasticCanteen. You two played an amazing, unique oldschool-style match.<br />
<br />
You deserve a pat on the back, but all I have to give is this. <3 For organizing a successful collab with at least 20 people! For organizing a successful collab with at least 10 people! For participating in 10 completed collabs! For completing 10 tennis matches! For completing 5 tennis matches! For finding all three I.M. Meen pics! Thanks for being Strike-Free! For servicing our mod staff! For working on the Chewiki!

Since the old thread is locked.

Anyway, I watched Blazing Saddles again. One of the funniest films out there for sure; always a blast.

What a coincidence, I just finished it again!

Howl's Moving Castle. What is it that people hate about this film? The most disturbing thing about the film was the castle design, IMO, and that was actually pretty creative.

User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Prince of Egypt.

And noting from another thread...

oh my god ahahahahaha

I'm watching the Prince of Egypt on YouTube, since someone uploaded the whole thing and hasn't gotten caught yet (if you haven't seen the movie for god's sake watch it it is amazing), and then I get to this part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFy2K_jo-Kk

Ralph Fiennes has been NYEEEEAGHing for over a decade.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Sunset Boulevard

One of the best films about Hollywood, no doubt about that.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Vampire's Kiss.

It's good in the way that most any other trainwreck with Nicolas Cage in the lead role is "good".

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 138 days before it was shut down

The Muppets.

It was on Starz last night, so I had to watch it again, and I still love it!

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Requesting this thread to be pinned.

Recently I haven't watched any movie, but I'm willing to watch my old VHS tape of the 20th anniversary of E.T: The Extraterrestrial. It's been a long time since the last time I saw the film.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Prometheus again. I still find it to be very well put together, even with its plot holes.

That alien fetus abortion scene still makes me cringe

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years You outstanding achievement in achievement!

Steamboat Bill Jr.

Watching a silent film with live accompaniment is an amazing experience.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 204 days before it was shut down

Argo

Definitely one of the best I've seen this year.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

Back to the Future

I waited way too long to see this movie. It was pretty damn great.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

The fact that I've read the book and thus already knew who the mole was didn't prevent me from thoroughly enjoying this movie, which is hands down one of the best movies I've seen recently. It's the kind of movie that pulls you into it's world and demands your attention, from the first scene to the last. The cinematography and the score does a great job of evoking the tense atmosphere of Le Carre's novel, where everyone could be a spy and no-one is to be trusted. Great performances from everyone involved, especially Gary Oldman as George Smiley. Of course, comparisons to Alec Guinness's portrayal of the same character in the BBC TV-series. However, I really felt that Oldman managed to make the character his own. It's hard to say which Smiley who's the best one; because even though I always tend to see Guinness's face on the character when I read the novels, both actors did a great job in bringing him to life.

Now I just hope that the other two books get filmed as well. Especially, The Honorary Schoolboy which has never been adapted before, neither to film nor TV.

Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

The Dark Knight Rises. Saw it again last night, it's still good.

Madagascar 3. All Afro Circus aside, the movie was pretty damn funny throughout and a lot better than the first 2 put together.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Adaptation.

Had really mixed feelings right after viewing it, but letting it settle in for a bit really changed my opinion: it was really good. The ending is pretty bat shit insane though. Did not see any of that coming. It also reassured me that Nicholas Cage is a great actor.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations for winning the Harrison Ford trivia! Harrison Ford Trivia Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years You are A New Hope for Poop. Good job! Thanks for participating! You won! For taking part. CAN ANYONE STOP THIS TENNIS PLAYING MACHINE!? 25 HOLY FUCK 10... 5... OOOOH, you FUCK! Congrats. Thanks for Chewiki work! RE5 review Thanks for your cookie! Yum! Rabbit's Easter Egg Hunt
In recognition of your entry for Harrison Ford Day 2012's art contest!

Adaptation.

Had really mixed feelings right after viewing it, but letting it settle in for a bit really changed my opinion: it was really good. The ending is pretty bat shit insane though. Did not see any of that coming. It also reassured me that Nicholas Cage is a great actor.

Adaptation is one of my favorite 'serious' films. It's worth noting that Robert Mckee (the screenwriting doctor) is a real person and his book 'Story' is nothing short of incredible and is often referred to as 'the screen writers bible.' All writers should read it.

Anyways, without spoiling it for those who haven't seen it, the clever thing about the ending is that kaufman breaks all of the principles that mckee enstills in him. This is genius because it re-enforces the notion that mckees principles are not rules and there are times when it is acceptable to break them. (For example Mckee tells him vioce overs are lazy but there is a voice over used at one point near the end. There are lots of other examples but I dont want to spoil it)

Really it's Cage's best serious film and quite a few things that happen in the movie are based off real events.

Via wikipedia

"The idea to do a film adaptation of Susan Orlean's The Orchid Thief dates back to 1994.[9] Fox 2000 purchased the film rights in 1997,[10] eventually selling them to Jonathan Demme, who set the project at Columbia Pictures. Charlie Kaufman was hired to write the script, but struggled with the adaptation and writer's block.[11] Kaufman eventually created a script of his experience in adaptation, exaggerating events, and creating a fictional "brother" named Donald Kaufman. Kaufman put Donald Kaufman's name on the script and dedicated the film to the fictional character."

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

Poultrygeist 7.5/10

Storm Warning 5.5-6/10

King Of The Ants 7.5-8/10

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas 8.5/10

Ninja Bachelor Party 7/10

Wishmaster 6/10

Hobo With A Shotgun 8/10

You found the Meen with speed and valor. 5 tennis matches.

Iron Man

Still wonderful. I had forgotten a huge portion of the movie considering I've only seen it the one time I went when it was out in the theaters, so I'm glad I got to refresh my memory.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Sinister was alright. Just alright though.

The plot is reaaaaaalllllyyyy weak and the premise isn't too original, but it's atmospheric enough and the scares aren't stupid so it was worth the time spent watching it. Which is more than can be said for nearly every single other horror movie coming out lately. Jesus christ.

Also, Frankenweenie was great. Made me feel like a kid again.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

God Bless America

Not quite as good as I was expecting, but still enjoyable. I just got a trial membership for Netflix so I'll probably be posting in this topic more often.

edit:

Bridesmaids

I was pretty unimpressed during the first third of the film or so, but once it gets the requisite poop and sex jokes out of the way it becomes pretty enjoyable.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year