Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

6,205 replies to this topic

Nozdordomu

I also liked Rogue One. I had a few problems with it early on (hard to follow plot, wordy dialogue, some of Jones' and Whitaker's acting), but the second half really won me over. The entire climactic setpiece was really something to see, though personally, K-2SO and Chirrut were my favorite parts.

Spoiler

I'm actually kind of sad that none of these characters will be coming back in the future. I sort of got attached to them, I guess. Now I know they had to kill them all off (just logically speaking), but that didn't really enter my mind when I was watching.

For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Deaniac

Saw Rogue One myself, and it was neat. It was slow and kinda hard to follow at parts, but the parts that were great stood out the most. The blind guy (Chirrut? Churro?) was easily my favorite character, as any scene he was in left me with a big smile on my face. Tudyk Sass-droid had his moments as well.

Spoiler

I'm not sure what was more distracting, the fact that I could tell General Tarkin's face was entirely computer generated or the fact that technology has advanced so much that these deceased actors or younger versions of living actors (Leia at the end in this case) can be recreated almost seamlessly. It's both amazing and terrifying, and I could tell something was off about it either way.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Whelt

Also saw Rogue One. I'm honestly impressed at how good it was, I went in expecting nothing but now I think it's a better film than The Force Awakens.

Spoiler

CG Tarkin and Leia creeped me out but were technically impressive

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

G ☆

Moana

There were a lot of things I loved about it, but I'll have to agree with @2xdinosaurs on it feeling very "average". Again, there were moments I outright adored, namely the first act, the visuals, and the soundtrack being consistently great (with the only number I wasn't really a fan of being "Shiny", which pains me to say since I love Jemaine Clement and Flight of the Conchords) despite being a bit "poppy", but there were still a lot of Disney-isms and family film tropes that stuck out to me(the comic-relief and pop-culture references really didn't do it for me) and the story felt kind of "barren" for lack of a better word, just like kind of a textbook "hero's journey" kind of plot, and as a result, the movie ended up feeling kind of short. Also, kind of nitpicky, but as much as I loved the creature/monster designs in the movie, I still though the movie was kind of lacking marine fauna, which was a bit disappointing to me.

It's a movie that I really want to be singing its praises for since again, the visuals and soundtrack are spectacular, and it's easily my favorite Disney film in a while, but considering how I wasn't really big on Frozen and Tangled to begin with, I guess that's not saying a whole lot, lol. Overall, I will say I liked it a lot, and I'd easily see it again if a friend wanted to, but I wouldn't say it's the Disney film I'd been waiting to see for years like the praise would have led me to believe. Granted, I went into the theater cautiously optimistic, so the movie didn't outright disappoint me per se as much as it just gave me weird mixed feelings.

Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

2xdinosaurs

I also liked Rogue One. I agree it had a shaky start but I'm glad that it picked up and had such a strong ending.

Spoiler

I was especially sad to see K-2SO, Chirrut and Baze die. They were my favorites.

The cast of side characters were spectacular.

sometimes pizza times it sometimes it sometimes it sometimes pizza times pizza So many pictures, so little wall space. This'll make a GREAT omelette! It is written, only Link can defeat Ganon SCRAP METAL! Look at this trophy, that you just won! For getting 20 awards Best Artist 2017

Favorite Staff Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Mmm... spare change? spare change ma'am? PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! bubble gum and taffy EYELASHES! i like you too millhouse (but not in that way) For service! For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the bronze cards Best Artist 2016
Friendliest User 2017 For having a blog featured Participated in the 2015 and 2016 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For winning the Holiday Art Contest 2015 For coming in 3rd in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 1 year.

TheOneManBoxOffice

Babes in Toyland (1934 version)

Good ol' Laurel & Hardy.

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Maq

I kind of agree with @G ☆ that Moana was missing something. I thought the lack of a real villain and the ending was pretty anticlimactic. There are a lot of songs I like, and the visuals are beautiful, but the plot was neither here nor there. Of course obviously I loved Shiny which is pretty much the best thing from the movie in my opinion, since I was already a big fan of Jemaine Clement.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

AGSMA

ParaNorman

Between it and Kubo and the Two Strings it's hard to pick my favorite Laika film so far. It's also insane to think that back in 2012 we had three stop-motion films running for the same category in the Oscars.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

G ☆
14 hours ago, Maq said:

I kind of agree with @G ☆ that Moana was missing something. I thought the lack of a real villain and the ending was pretty anticlimactic. There are a lot of songs I like, and the visuals are beautiful, but the plot was neither here nor there. Of course obviously I loved Shiny which is pretty much the best thing from the movie in my opinion, since I was already a big fan of Jemaine Clement.

I've already alluded to this in my last post, but I really wasn't a fan of "Shiny", which again, is painful to say since I love Jemaine Clement and his voice for Tamatoa alone made that entire sequence. Objectively, I don't think it's a bad song, and again, I have more fun listening to it on its own than say, "How Far I'll Go", but my issue with it is mostly how it doesn't quite "flow" (for lack of a better word) with the film unlike the rest of the soundtrack. In fact, Tamatoa's inclusion in the film to begin with felt pretty forced, and the same could be said about the coconut pirates and Te Ka (to an extent) when the film has a standard "point A to point B" story after the first act, most of which consists of Moana and Maui bickering on the boat without a lot of inbetween events like those mentioned before. It reminded me a bit of a watered down (no pun intended) version of Life of Pi in that aspect, though I don't know if that's quite the best comparison. 

Like I said in my last ppst, my biggest nitpick with the movie was it felt too "short" and somewhat uneventful on top of being a fairly standard family movie. I don't mind a film using basic tropes provided they can execute them very well, and Moana had that aspect down...for the most part. The opening act is obviously probably my favorite example of this, while the rest of the movie was a bit hit or miss, and being so taken in by the visuals and sound design while watching it, I really have trouble defending or critiquing the movie since I know defending certain aspects of it would be a stretch since it really is a family movie at its core.

Tldr, I get that Moana's a movie meant to look and sound pretty, and since that's all I was really expecting when I went to see it, I guess I was satisfied, but I also thought the movie was kind of inconsistent with its atmosphere and pacing with both ranging from being well executed and fantastic to kind of lacking. 

Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

StockReady

Arrival. It was suspenseful and touching, at times even scary. I loved the soundtrack too.

For staying strike free for 7 years. 2015 Contest - John Metravolta Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos October 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 13 videos

Triple

Saw Rogue One back when it first premiered and again yesterday with my dad.

I'll admit I wasn't quite as hyped for this compared to The Force Awakens, but yeah this is a great, well-made Star Wars film. The third act alone is pretty phenomenal.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

Amuness

I just recently saw The Secret Life of Pets.

I don't know what to think of it. It is what it is. I mean - animation: very good - plot: it actually broke the mold of most kids films a little. For an hour and twenty long movie, it did pretty well of breaking the stereotypical nature one would see in a kids film. Also, a lot of stuff happened throughout most of it.

However, it doesn't fully escape and deviate from standard kids films. There is an element of some stereotypicalness in it (I.e. At the beginning when Duke first moves in)

But can I enjoy it? Yeah it's a pretty good film. It truly is - the voices were amazing - and something I would recommended to others.

If I could nitpick the shit out of something, it would be the "Sing!" poster on the bus at the climax. That really irked me and became a big eye sore for that minute long bus scene. If this is Illumination Entertainment's BIGGEST FILM EVAR then it better be.

For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of July & August 2016. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year.

Maq

The Emperor's New Groove

Still one of my favorite movies, and Kronk is still the best character

I also watched The Lion King 1 1/2 a while back and I actually enjoyed it. I know a lot of people have kind of mixed reviews of it but the breaking the 4th wall humor (and obvious MST3K influence) was funny to me.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

appdirect
2 hours ago, Maq said:

mixed reviews

That's expected, since it has 1/2 in the title.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

HerrVarden

This Is Spinal Tap

As great as this film as, my favorite line from the film seems to be one that isn't quoted that often. That being "you can't dust for vomit". 

For staying strike free for 5 years. Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos DE DE DE IS THA ONE! Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Best Image Editor 2014, Best Image Editor 2015, Best Writer 2015 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year 2013 2013
User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Signatures 2015 For your first featured article. Harrison Ford Trivia Recursion Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Dieathan
13 hours ago, appdirect said:

That's expected, since it has 1/2 in the title.

I've only ever known it to have a 3 in the title (As it was called The Lion King 3: Hakuna Matata outside of America), but when you make the stars of the film the two characters from the series to not only have a relatively minor role in both prior movies but also to have their own spin-off series on Disney Channel which has barely anything to do with the series in question, I can see why some people would be a tad confused when trying to compare it to the first two films.

OT: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

While The Force Awakens was a good film on its own, I felt like it borrowed a bit too much from Episode IV in regards to its plot. Rogue One thankfully avoids this problem with a completely original story that actually works really damn well, and the main cast was pretty likable to boot. K2S0 in particular comes to mind with his witty remarks, and I enjoyed whenever he had just about anything to say about his current situation or even regarding his thoughts towards the others around him. Also, unlike a certain gold-tinted tin robot, he's actually quite capable on his own too. Overall, a good example as to how to make a spin-off film.

For staying strike free for 5 years. The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

G ☆

The fact that we have yet to receive a proper film adaptation of Rosencratz And Guildenstern Are Dead perfectly justifies The Lion King 1 1/2's existence.