• Announcements

• Whelt

Regarding the recent update   07/20/2017

As you may be aware, the forum software underwent an update that turned out to be somewhat buggy. We rolled back the update for now, and will plan on making a more smooth transition later on in the future. In the meantime, you may notice the forum loading slowly as a lot of processes are running right now. We ask for your continued patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

5,861 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Maq said:

Still one of my favorite movies, and Kronk is still the best character

He can't head a good movie, though.

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Yellow Submarine, big shock.

Even though the 2012 restoration looks great overall, I'll have to say that things look pretty odd as well, as if they edited the movie digitally despite claiming that it was handmade. Being a movie which animation relies heavily on panning, it looks like those were recorded with a much higher framerate than the ones animated traditionally and sometimes it looks jarring. That, and the sound mixing is odd on certain occasions. Perhaps it has to do with the TV set I used to watch the film, so I'll see if I get similar results on my desktop PC. Still, the whole thing looks sharp and more colorful than my VHS copy of the film, and that makes me happy. I'll have to be picky on this part, but I kind of wish this restoration also had the original U.S. release with the Hey Bulldog scene excluded, you know, just for an added extra, but I won't complain, since I can still find that version on the Internet, with the old United Artists logo and everything, something that I also wish they retained in this rerelease but alas, copyright infringements.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Grand Prix

Sully

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Rogue One - everything nice that has ever been said about this movie, I share those sentiments.

Moana - Infinitely better than Frozen, I'll gladly take Maui's tattoo over Sven any day. Also, dem visuals

Star Trek Infinity - I'm not a big Trekkie (my grandmother is though) but I thought it was fun

Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For taking second place in November's Photopoop contest. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Sully

Spoiler

latest?cb=20160404022725

This air pilot was so traumatized by the crash that he was actually green with it by the end of it.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Yellow Submarine

La La Land

When I first saw the trailer for this movie, I thought it was the Oscar bait-iest thing I had ever seen, and to an extent that partially rings true now that I've watched it. Despite that, I can easily see it going down as one of the most charming, feel good movies of the decade, and I will definitely be seeing it again.

I think the story arc of Ryan Gosling's character trying to open his own jazz club and his deep passion for "traditional" jazz in general was the perfect analogy for the movie itself. La La Land is an unabashed homage to the Technicolor movie musical of yesteryear - a genre that you don't see much of anymore - and that quality truly makes it stand out on its own, especially in a box office climate full of mindless action movies, umpteenth sequels, and superhero movies. It probably won't bring back of resurgence of movies in the same genre despite its financial and critical success, but it took a risk, stuck to its roots, and will be looked back and revered because of it.

(Also Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone are super cute together so yeah)

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Manchester by the Sea

Great film. It's somehow both funnier and sadder than I was expecting. I laughed a lot, cried a little, felt uncomfortable...it's an emotional rollercoaster, that's for sure. I'm glad I saw this first instead of La La Land.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

That's Entertainment!

Still a great time capsule on some of the greatest musical moments in Metro Goldwyn Mayer's history, from The Wizard of Oz to Gigi. I'll be watching Part II and Part III within the week, as well as That's Dancing.

EDIT 1/4/2017

That's Dancing

Told ya I would be watching this...

That's Entertainment! Part II

...and this one as well. Both are also great time capsules of great moments in musical and non-musical cinema.

Star Wars Rogue One

You guys are right, this was awesome! I wish they tone down the shakiness though.

For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Gladiator

Although I didn't really like the blood effects and the best bits didn't really last long, it was still worth a watch.

MY CAKES WILL BURN! BREAKAWAY BUMPKIN! For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Moana was pretty good. Lots of good songs, amazing animation (3D and 2D!). I only had a couple minor grievances with the movie.

I also got to see Princess Mononoke (well, the last half of it. picking up my friend and driving through highway traffic jams took up more time than I thought it would) in a theater last night. It was subtitled, which I wasn't expecting, but also wasn't a big deal. Good movie and it was also great to see a Miyazaki film in theaters, up on a big screen with surround sound, all that good stuff.

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

I saw some definitely good new movies last year, including Zootopia, Captain America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Arrival, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and tbh I found Suicide Squad pretty entertaining too.

Most of these I happened to see with people; Kubo and the Two Strings was one of my most anticipated movies of the year but I couldn't find anyone who wanted to see it with me so it got away from me, and it's becoming the same with Moana though there's still a chance.  I want to see the anime movie your name. [sic] but little to no way that's happening where I live.  And on what kingplatypus said the Princess Mononoke showings are happening where I live, I had work last night but there's a showing of the dub on Monday night which there's a chance I have off, so that'd be nice.

For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

That's Entertainment! III

This one is more technical and informative about the making of the MGM musical than the other two, and was released 18 years after the second one. It even shows deleted footage from certain films, including Judy Garland's bits for Annie Get Your Gun (1950) before she was replaced with Betty Hutton after a breakdown. Nevertheless, the film serves as a long-awaited conclusion to a trilogy of movie time capsules.

...and with that, I'm all done with the That's ________! movies

Following (1998)

I sense the code of Inception here and there. Nevertheless, simply Christopher Nolan's truly underrated masterpiece.

Questions by the way (SPOILER)

Spoiler

Was Cobb really dead? If Cobb wasn't, then who's the one got hammered by Bill (D. Lloyd)? Where did he get those money from?

It's a little itchy. For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards For taking 3rd Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest Top 10 Videos of Jul 2016 For participating in 10 successful collabs. Congrats!!! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Back To The Future.

I have the whole Trilogy on DVD.

Manchester by the Sea

Went to the movie with an open mind as usual and, while there were a lot of funny scenes and some sad ones, although sappy, I don't know, maybe the whole depressing aspect of the film lead me with a bit of disappointment. I mean, the movie is great, don't get me wrong, they make use of the subject flawlessly and such, a million times better than Colateral Beauty I suppose, but probably I could've had a better time watching Bleed for This or Rogue One, which I didn't picked up due to lack of interest. But either way, if your heart can handle depressing, realistic stories, then go for it, it's worth a watch.

Spoiler

Casey Affleck's house burning down, though, that scene caught me off-guard.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Posted (edited)

All That Jazz

Edited by Cornfureku
5000th post yay
For staying strike free for 5 years. For collecting all the silver cards Eyelashes! Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Rogue One

Not as good as The Force Awakens, but it was still a fantastic film. Definitely the best Star Wars prequel ever existed, obviously.

MY CAKES WILL BURN! BREAKAWAY BUMPKIN! For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Rambo First Blood

The only thing that marred the experience was that it was the edited-for-TV version. I didn't mind the censorship but I hated that they inserted commercial breaks in between lines of dialogue. Most networks at least have the decency to wait until a scene ends before cutting to commercial.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year