Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

5,468 posts in this topic

Doctor Strange: One of many films that benefit being viewed on a big screen. The effects were pretty cool with all of the trippy effects, and world bending that transpired within the film. Even though it's an origin film. That didn't bother me in the slightest. I thought the acting was pretty good, the end might have been a little anti-climatic. Still very solid. Glad I saw it

For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Sing

It might not be as deep or involving as Zootopia, like, as far as CG animals films are concerned, but I was thoroughly entertained still.

For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016 Initial concept

Designed cards #8, #11, #17, #24, #27, #30, #51, #56, #58, #69, #87

Illustrated card #98

Designed background card and awards

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For coming in 1st in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 7 years. Successfully met up with Richard Nixon's long-lost daughter. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

I watch it every year, so I was gonna get to this one sooner or later.

Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Finding Dory

Simply one of sequels that don't fail big time. 

For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards For taking 3rd Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest Top 10 Videos of Jul 2016 For participating in 10 successful collabs. Congrats!!! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

The Grinch (live action)

You know, I've always genuinely liked this movie, like since I first saw it as a kid. I feel like everyone goes through that stage where it's like, they liked it as a kid, they hated it as they got older, and now it kind of has cult status.

Now I have to watch Muppet Christmas Carol. :3

For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Neco z Alenky

I f you want to see a sick twisted version of Alice in Wonderland with horrifying yet amazing stop-motion animation, look no futher. this movie was pretty rad

Top 10 Videos of Dec 2016 For having a video featured in Recommended Poops of March 2015! Best Newcomer 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For getting all the standard ornaments Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hefty outrunning of non-atheletes is already an achievement.  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For writing 10089 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Forgot to mention this one since I'm a couple days late...

Gremlins

Now THIS is a Christmas movie.

Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Saw MoonlightArrival, and that one movie I worked on: Office Christmas Party.

Moonlight's a good deconstruction of toxic masculinity, especially when it comes to the intersection of the LGBT and black communities (where being macho is seen as something of a means to pass). It's also a really good tragedy about how drug use can destroy a person, but rather than demonize the pusherman, it shows that they actually do care about people. That they have empathy. They're more misguided if anything.

Arrival isn't death process. A nice little tale about how pacifism and cooperation can save the world. Even more interesting that we get to see linguistics in action as opposed to just having some guy do some archaeological things in the context of a romantic story. inb4 "but it was told from the perspective of a white middle-class American cisgirl"/"the narrative isn't inclusive enough" argument

Office Christmas Party is its own beast. It's advertised - and the extras, when we filmed this from mid-April to early June, were convinced this was as well - as this big blow-out ensemble debauched Christmas comedy, similar to how Bad Santa was back in the day. However, I see a weird intersection between that, the hyperlink narratives of the '70s, and the schmaltz of Frank Capra - i.e. the average Speck/Gordon film. Yes, the premise is that this office throws this insane party just to impress Johnnie Cochran, but the premise becomes critical of the whole idea of having such a wild and debauched party as both a reaction to hamfisted attempts at inclusiveness and diversity AND stifling workplace culture. The party's insanity, as soon as ol' Johnnie gets a face fulla cocaine from the snow machine, is depicted at first to be a good thing...but it quickly becomes full of false promises, violence, disturbing debauchery and an open mockery to order. It becomes anarchic - and not in a good way. In a way that justifies Kate McKinnon's stuck-up HR head's overprotectiveness. It's TJ Miller's character's own ethos cranked up to 11 - but instead of being merely a fun time, it becomes a battle. And something of a tragedy, since their office is now in shambles and a kid's walking around, looking for his mom and dad. For what should've been an upbeat holiday movie about partying your ass off (and seeing my naked ass in a bathroom stall), I got a movie espousing a middle path instead - have TJ Miller's openness and gonzo idea-building and Jennifer Aniston's focus on normalcy and running a tight ship.

Maybe I'm not the right guy to make the call, but there's a lot more to this movie than what I thought. I thought it was gonna suck big time, but nope. It appealed to me in the same way Joe Dante's films do: films that appear conventional, but as soon as you take a look at more than just the images and the jokes, you instead get a complex commentary. In this case, the complex commentary is a good antidote to the traditionalism of It's a Wonderful Life and the laissez-faire attitude of A Christmas Story and Bad Santa - so it's not really complex. It's one of the few films willing to offer a middle path.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

On 9/12/2016 at 7:10 PM, Maq said:

The Grinch (live action)

You know, I've always genuinely liked this movie, like since I first saw it as a kid. I feel like everyone goes through that stage where it's like, they liked it as a kid, they hated it as they got older, and now it kind of has cult status.

Now I have to watch Muppet Christmas Carol. :3

There were apparently more plans to make live action adaptations of Dr. Seuss books but after Cat in the Hat with Mike Mayers they where like Nope.

We could have probably gotten a live action Lorax movie with Danny DeVito in an uncanny orange fursuit.

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

41 minutes ago, Liebermintz said:

Arrival isn't death process. [...] Even more interesting that we get to see linguistics in action as opposed to just having some guy do some archaeological things in the context of a romantic story

Yes this. It was probably my favorite thing about it.

Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

10 hours ago, Liebermintz said:

and that one movie I worked on: Office Christmas Party.

Wait...you worked on that!?

4 hours ago, TheOneManBoxOffice said:

Wait...you worked on that!?

Well, I'm strapped for cash, so I'm doing background acting since it makes me more money than, say, slinging chicken around in boxes at KFC. I managed to get core background on this film - one I didn't know was being directed by the Blades of Glory guys - and it was a pretty consistent six weeks of work. I'm the guy in the bathroom stall on the bottom left corner of the screen - and I'm the guy in the green jacket with the file folder standing next to Kate McKinnon in one of the TV spots. I'm all over the movie.

btw, for all the off-putting gay panic jokes in their films, Will Speck is gay.

And for all the crap the film gave me, it also gave me enough money to buy a high-end record player and not feel financially devastated.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

At least you have something to put on your resume.

Moana

Technically I got interested by it from listening to Shiny on Youtube (like a million times) so I hadn't seen it until now. It was really wonderful and imaginative, the animation and music was amazing. It was a very feel good movie. All of the characters were likable and well written, especially Maui.

My one criticism is the lack of a real villain. Without spoiling it, the ending felt kind of anticlimactic. I mean I know that Tamatoa (<3) was written more as a plot device unfortunately, but the ending could've just been more fleshed out imo.

Oh yeah and the part at the end of the credits was hilarious lmfao

For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Moonlight

Jebus Christ what a phenomenal film. Favorite film of 2016 for sure.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Eagle VS Shark

Yeah I watched it cause Jemaine is in it, but I used to really like it in about 2009 and I haven't seen it in a long time. It's a very charming and endearing movie. It's funny and heartwarming, and I'm not really the type to watch a movie where romance is the main plot. I got really emotional at the end lol

Scrooge (1935 version)

Watched it on TCM. It's a decent adaptation of the Dickens story, and I'll give it some slack, but this is the darkest version of it I've ever seen, and I mean that in the literal sense, not metaphorically. Not Dracula vs. Frankenstein (1969) dark, but close.