Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

5,657 posts in this topic

Princess Mononoke

It wasn't in one of the larger theaters, but it was nearly packed.  I'd say they don't make em like this anymore, but did anyone ever make anything quite like this?

Also they played a Ghibli short called On Your Mark right before the movie, it was very good, and a nice touch to add to the theatrical experience.  I'm really glad I went.

For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

La La Land

Loved it. A movie like this could only have been made by someone who loves movies, jazz, Los Angeles...but it's plenty entertaining on its own, and it never feels too sentimental or like a retread of older films. I had a huge smile on my face for wide stretches. My favorite parts were the dance at the Griffith, and the final sequence; I really wasn't expecting that last one. My only real gripe is that Ryan Gosling's singing voice isn't too great, but the rest of the film is so good you forget about it. Nice job.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Whiplash

Good fucking CHRIST this was amazing. One of, if not, THE greatest underdog story ever released in recent years.

That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

A South Korean, dark comedy/romance movie, I'm a Cyborg, But That's Okay. It gave me kinda mixed, but mostly good feelings.

Spoiler

On the one hand, I think it's obvious the writers know nothing about mentally ill people, because all the characters are just exaggerations for the sake of comedy (which I don't completely mind, but others might find it offensive or something) and one scene in particular made me wonder if I was supposed to laugh or just feel uncomfortable. On the other hand, it was pretty damn funny at times, and none of the character's illnesses were the butt of a joke. Everyone in the movie was pretty likable as well. I thought it was good overall, but it might not be to everyone's taste.

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

Rogue One

In spite of the mixed opinions I've been hearing about, I had a good time watching this flick. Admittedly I was more fond of the supporting characters in the grand scheme of things but ultimately I didn't feel that the story got too forced at times compared to, say, the prequels.

That being said, CG Tarkin did look quite ....uncanny.

For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! bubble gum and taffy That's a lot of love! For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! It's a little itchy... For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! Asked nicely.

I saw Hidden Figures on Monday. It's alway cool to learn how African Americans made their mark on American history and the three women who worked at NASA during the first shuttle launch are no exception. I was invested throughout the whole thing.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Saw these yesterday...

Captain Blood

The Killers

That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

On 1/11/2017 at 5:20 PM, Deaniac said:

I saw Hidden Figures on Monday. It's alway cool to learn how African Americans made their mark on American history and the three women who worked at NASA during the first shuttle launch are no exception. I was invested throughout the whole thing.

speaking of that...

catch the crew-cutted guy in the blue jacket behind Janelle Monae when she's watching John Glenn try to bring his pod to splashdown?

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

Seen a loooootttttt since I last posted here. Back in the Summer I did an extensive Spielberg marathon, and man oh man, lot and lot and lot of great movies I saw that Summer. Off the top of my head, A.I. was my personal favorite, THE SUGARLANE EXPRESS was a big surprise, and MUNICH was fan-freaking-tastic. Watching every Indian Jones movie was an experience, and I'll go on record as to saying TEMPLE OF DOOM is an outright masterpiece. Even the fan adaption is bloody excellent. Hearing John Williams music to such a movie can bring a tear to an eye like mine. If there's any movie people are curious on thoughts on, let me know, because there was a lot I saw.

Saw every Rocky movie too! THAT was another ride I loved every minute of. Well, expect maybe 5, but even then that had really really great moments. I'm just so happy that it's probably one of the best film franchises ever, and I just did it because I loved CREED so much! 

Lot of horror movies. Why, just a few nights ago I saw the 5th Nightmare of Elm Street movie, and I'm not going to lie, that one is slowly becoming my personal favorite of the franchise. Though then again, NEW NIGHTMARE is hard to top. Gotta think about that one. 

Next time I get spare time, I really want to watch the Mad Max films. I saw FURY ROAD in the theaters, and that was a religious experience. Vowed to myself I get to the others, but I'm dragging my feet. Gonna try getting to this at least to this year.

For staying strike free for 1 year.

Nocturnal Animals may be my pick for best of 2016; as far as I'm concerned either Tom Ford (director), Amy Adams or Jake Gyllenhaal need to win an Oscar already or the Academy Awards are irrelevant forever. Sadly, it seems to have disappeared from distribution pretty quickly.

Dyrene i Hakkebakkeskogen

A faithful and visually pleasant adaptation of Thorbjørn Egner's children's stories and songs!

Wads of dosh For collecting 20 awards. For sharing the love with delicious, inedible candy! For receiving candy hearts from strangers! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016 Initial concept

Designed cards #8, #11, #17, #24, #27, #30, #51, #56, #58, #69, #87

Illustrated card #98

Designed background card and awards

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For coming in 1st in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 7 years. Successfully met up with Richard Nixon's long-lost daughter. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

Monster Trucks

Now don't be fooled, this is a thoroughly dumb movie, but I didn't go see it because I wanted to learn a lesson. If you're looking for fun, blissful escapism at its finest, it doesn't get any better than literal monsters in trucks. It's a Nickelodeon Movie, so of course a lot of the acting is stilted and it's very much made for youngsters in mind, but it doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. The protagonist is supposed to be high school aged, but it's so obvious that his actor is at least  ten years older than the character he was written for, and it's hilarious. The lead monster Creech (that's his real name by the way) does flips and shit in the truck and there's at least three or four slow motion shots. Anyone expecting neurological stimulation from Monster Trucks is gonna be pissed. Think of it as a kid friendly Transformers, minus the wrecking ball testicles and jive bots. Actually, I'd go as far to say it's better than the Transformers movies. Why is that? For one thing, the movie is well under two hours. I rest my case.

I can safely say that Jim Gisriel/JimForce's strange fasciation of this movie on the Pizza Party Podcast motivated me to watch it even more than I had intended, to the point where any mention of its presence amused me. I was watching NBC a few days ago and during one of the breaks a commercial for Monster Trucks played and I just cracked up. Why is this ad for this movie playing in between a primetime network program that was definitely made for adults? How did Monster Trucks make Paramount take a $150 million write off before it was even released? That's one secret that Creech will be taking to the financial and cinematic grave.

Spoiler

Also, there's a scene in which the villain gets tossed into machinery filled with liquid poison, and the last we see of him is panicking as the poison enters his vehicle and he screams. I'd like to imagine that he would emerge from the vehicle with his skin melted and his eyes bulging out a la Robocop, but alas, it's a Nickelodeon Movie, so we may never know.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Three movies:

La La Land (2016) 

Energetic lead, strong plot, and wonderfully directed, it's no surprise got 7 Golden Globe nods. One of my all-time fav movies.

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

I recall seeing this film when i was a little, but not too sure, so i decided to re-watch it again.

and...

(500) Days of Summer (2009)

It's official. I'm in love with this movie.

It's a little itchy. For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards For taking 3rd Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest Top 10 Videos of Jul 2016 For participating in 10 successful collabs. Congrats!!! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

Pretty sure the movie The Money Pit was inspired by this one to some degree.

Guardians of the Galaxy

FINALLY saw this one. This is by far the best Marvel movie I've seen yet next to Deadpool.

I saw Daddys Home recently and while it's just a dumb and predictable affair, I definitely enjoyed it. Plus, it kind of made me empathize more with stepparents.  If you liked the Other guys it's worth checking out because will ferrell and marky mark have great chemistry together.

I also rewatched macgrubber and it's still fucking amazing the third time around. 

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

La La Land (again)

It doesn't take much for this movie to put a smile on my face. The movie exudes so much charm and is unapologetic in its modern movie musical format that it's hard for me not to admire. You can clearly tell it was a labor of love.

Christine (2016)

Very good biopic based on the news reporter who committed suicide on live TV in the 1970s.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

Sing

I was somewhat skeptical about the film prior to seeing it, as I was worried it might end up getting too carried away with cramming as many licensed songs as possible and try to write itself like an animated equivalent of American Idol. Thankfully, I found it to be more than that. It's a very colourful and bright film, filled with plenty of heart and personality outside of the many songs that we recognise, and even those they actually got the voice actors to sing for themselves when the characters are actually singing them. The concept isn't exactly anything that original, and some of the humour is a bit hit or miss, but it was a pretty nice film to watch overall.

For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS donation_award_notes For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year 2013
User with Funniest Signatures 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos