Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

5,475 posts in this topic

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Pretty fucking great, in all honesty. I was hoping it would take the groundwork left by The Force Awakens and run with it, and it did so with gusto. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016. FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Best Newcomer 2016, Best Writer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

I saw Rogue One. Overall, I thought it was really good, especially the third act. Actual spoilers below.

Spoiler

I loved how the ending tied directly into the opening of Episode 4, even though there have been a few gripes about the problems that it creates. I also wasn't really expecting so many characters to be killed off like that, but given how none of them are mentioned in later movies, I guess that was the most effective way to explain their total absences. It does leave a bigger impact, I suppose.

It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

La La Land

A film musical done in the style of MGMs classics, but with a modern-day heartfelt story about reaching for your dreams and the sacrifices that come with it. It's incrediblly well directed and written, the music is catchy and beautiful, and the ending is just fantastic. 

As the saying goes, they sure don't make 'em like that anymore. It's simply wonderful.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

White Christmas

One of my favorites from director Michael Curtiz (who also did Casablanca and The Adventures of Robin Hood)

The Song of Bernadette

Though I'm not the religious type, I still find this film rather fascinating, story-wise. This I viewed on TCM.

The Great Rupert

Also known as A Christmas Wish, this is another one I viewed on TCM. I mainly watched this for Jimmy Durante, and it was produced by the legendary George Pal (of The War of the Worlds and Puppetoon fame), and features his stop-motion animation. It's public domain, so you can watch it here.

Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Going along with everyone else, I just watched Rogue One as well and also really loved it

For staying strike free for 3 years. For having a YouTube Poop being a part of our latest Recommended YouTube Poops listing. (June 2016) Top 10 Videos of Nov 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Nov 2015 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Nov 2015 (Brain rape/Rape-core) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For completing 10 matches! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation Submitting 25 videos to the Video System yea Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Saw three movies back to back on TCM...

The Adventures of Robin Hood
The Philadelphia Story
Scrooge 
(1970 version)

The second one I saw for the first time, but I was familiar with the story, as it was re-told in a 1956 musical film starring Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, and Grace Kelly, entitled High Society.

Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

There's a good hidden gem called Real Life (1979) that expires from Netflix on Jan 1st.  I recommend it.

Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

I enjoyed Rogue One a lot too. The beginning was a bit jarring at first, jumping from one location to another and the awkward droid sidekick thing felt a bit old, but there was nothing that really bothered the experience.

For staying strike free for 7 years. 2015 Contest - John Metravolta Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos October 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 13 videos

Yeah, the rapid switching from one planet to another kind of hurt the first act for me too. I get that they weren't all critical to the plot, but I wish that they had slowed down the pace of the first 20 minutes or so. Maybe establish each location a bit more. Regardless, the film was great as a whole.

It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

7 hours ago, TugCoat said:

There's a good hidden gem called Real Life (1979) that expires from Netflix on Jan 1st.  I recommend it.

I recommend it too. I recommend it so hard that you have to buy DVD copies of it.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

I don't think this post really contains any spoilers but I'm always anxious about that so if you haven't seen it then I'll just say it's amazing.

---------------------------

I agree that the beginning of Rogue One was the least interesting and most shaky part. I wasn't worried it would suck but about 30 minutes into it I was wondering if it was going to get good or not. But by the end I laughed many times, grew to love many of the side characters and was brought to tears by the end.  It was pretty fucking excellent.  

My only criticisms were that I didn't really care for the two main leads Jin and Cassius. They weren't terrible and I was still routing for them so they were serviceable but they just didn't grab me like the new characters in Ep 7.  The side characters were all great though.  

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

Rogue One or Star Wars Episode 3.8: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Other than the somewhat stale comedic relief and characters feeling weak compared to Force Awoke, it was really great like everyone else on this page is saying.

Spoiler

I was pretty surprised they made the ending to end like that, but it's reasonable to do I guess since there's no way to feature these characters in A New Hope. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Miracle on 34th Street (1947 version)

May be hoaky by today's standards, but still a classic nonetheless.

Ben-Hur (1959 version)

The king of all biblical epics.

Perri

This was the first film that aired as part of this month's "Treasures from the Disney Vault" on TCM. Most people don't know about this one, but all I can say is that the cinematography is beautiful, even for 1957. Though the film centers around a woodland squirrel, It's more of a documentary about mother nature's course over the four seasons. The story was also written by Austrian writer Felix Salten, the same man who wrote Bambi.

Santa Claus is Comin' to Town

Probably my favorite of the Rankin/Bass stop-motion TV specials.

I also liked Rogue One. I had a few problems with it early on (hard to follow plot, wordy dialogue, some of Jones' and Whitaker's acting), but the second half really won me over. The entire climactic setpiece was really something to see, though personally, K-2SO and Chirrut were my favorite parts.

Spoiler

I'm actually kind of sad that none of these characters will be coming back in the future. I sort of got attached to them, I guess. Now I know they had to kill them all off (just logically speaking), but that didn't really enter my mind when I was watching.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Saw Rogue One myself, and it was neat. It was slow and kinda hard to follow at parts, but the parts that were great stood out the most. The blind guy (Chirrut? Churro?) was easily my favorite character, as any scene he was in left me with a big smile on my face. Tudyk Sass-droid had his moments as well.

Spoiler

I'm not sure what was more distracting, the fact that I could tell General Tarkin's face was entirely computer generated or the fact that technology has advanced so much that these deceased actors or younger versions of living actors (Leia at the end in this case) can be recreated almost seamlessly. It's both amazing and terrifying, and I could tell something was off about it either way.

For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

Also saw Rogue One. I'm honestly impressed at how good it was, I went in expecting nothing but now I think it's a better film than The Force Awakens.

Spoiler

CG Tarkin and Leia creeped me out but were technically impressive

For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Moana

There were a lot of things I loved about it, but I'll have to agree with @2xdinosaurs on it feeling very "average". Again, there were moments I outright adored, namely the first act, the visuals, and the soundtrack being consistently great (with the only number I wasn't really a fan of being "Shiny", which pains me to say since I love Jemaine Clement and Flight of the Conchords) despite being a bit "poppy", but there were still a lot of Disney-isms and family film tropes that stuck out to me(the comic-relief and pop-culture references really didn't do it for me) and the story felt kind of "barren" for lack of a better word, just like kind of a textbook "hero's journey" kind of plot, and as a result, the movie ended up feeling kind of short. Also, kind of nitpicky, but as much as I loved the creature/monster designs in the movie, I still though the movie was kind of lacking marine fauna, which was a bit disappointing to me.

It's a movie that I really want to be singing its praises for since again, the visuals and soundtrack are spectacular, and it's easily my favorite Disney film in a while, but considering how I wasn't really big on Frozen and Tangled to begin with, I guess that's not saying a whole lot, lol. Overall, I will say I liked it a lot, and I'd easily see it again if a friend wanted to, but I wouldn't say it's the Disney film I'd been waiting to see for years like the praise would have led me to believe. Granted, I went into the theater cautiously optimistic, so the movie didn't outright disappoint me per se as much as it just gave me weird mixed feelings.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

I also liked Rogue One. I agree it had a shaky start but I'm glad that it picked up and had such a strong ending.

Spoiler

I was especially sad to see K-2SO, Chirrut and Baze die. They were my favorites.

The cast of side characters were spectacular.

For service! For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the bronze cards Best Artist 2016 For having a blog featured Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For winning the Holiday Art Contest 2015 For coming in 3rd in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 1 year.

Babes in Toyland (1934 version)

Good ol' Laurel & Hardy.