Spiral

Good movies you've seen recently

6,281 replies to this topic

SirSigma

I saw Detective Conan Movie 14 (The Lost Ship in the Sky) last night.

I was left absolutely fucking shell-shocked. I haven't been so excited watching one of these movies since I saw Movie 4 (Captured In Her Eyes). That's really saying something.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Parappatherapper

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)

Just caught this one on TCM. There isn't a whole lot I can really say that hasn't been said about it before. It's supposedly the oldest animated feature film that has survived. For a movie that is silent, only uses silhouettes, and for being made that early in not just animated movies but early movies, I thought it was pretty impressive. It has it's flaws but for it's time it must have really been spectacular to see. The plot isn't so much important as the visuals that of course look dated now but have a slight charm once you get used to it, not that the plot is too bad but neither is it super compelling. A very neat experience, and I would watch it again.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Thanks for the donation. "Oh, how I hate those meenie masters! How they make my penis turn!" -Dopply circa 2010 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos

TVBForever

Gulliver's Travels (1939)

Obviously way better than the Jack Black one. I caught that on TCM since my friend told me to turn it on.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

The Mountie From Hell

The film club screened Rocky Horror Picture Show tonight. It was pretty stupid fun.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For taking second place in November's Photopoop contest. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

AGSMA

I saw Frankenweenie with my dad, a couple of hours ago, I enjoyed it a lot, though there were some flaws.

• The fact the main character of the film being literally named after the protagonist of the book just ruins a bit of the entire purpose of the film. Yes, I know this is supposed to be Frankenstein for kids, but I kinda expected a better surname, like Shelley, as an homage to the author. I also didn't liked the fact of Victor's neighbor and classmate having van Helsing as his surname, since he's a character from Dracula and not from Frankenstein, but that's a bit nitpicking of mine;
  • The ending, while I kinda expected what would happen, it didn't bothered me, aside from being too fast and abrupt. I expected to see an aftermath of New Holland, and other things as well. I didn't stayed in the theater until the credits ended, so I have no idea if there was some clip at the end.

The 3D effects, while they weren't mind-boggling, they were nice, and it was a very neat first attempt for the stop-motion genre.

And as much I liked the film in general, the film's advertisement was a huge letdown, because it gives you too many hints of the climax, though it surpassed my expectations when I discovered that it was more than a giant dinosaur foot that often appears in the commercials.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Grease Witherspoon

I just rewatched Donnie Darko and it's just as great as I remember it being. I have a better understanding of whats going on this time around.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

Triple

I had actually seen it sometime earlier this year but,

2010: The Year We Make Contact

Not anywhere near as good as it's predecessor, but I thought it was a fairly decent film on it's own.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 43 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "YTPMV: Big Beat Mario" (YTPMV) October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 152 days before it was shut down *insert picture of King here* Congrats! Tonight I'm going to...suck your blood! Or ability to write Chewiki articles! Thanks!

NS2

The Killers (1946)

One hell of a film noir. It was the debut of Burt Lancaster (playing the protagonist, who meets an unfortunate end at the film's beginning, thus seen mostly in flashbacks later on) but I was more captivated by the performance of Edmond O'Brien playing a life insurance worker investigating the murder case with an unusual enthusiasm. Makes me want to see more movies with this guy. And the cinematography was amazing too.

Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 26 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS THERE, SITS THE ONLY KING, I MEAN TO BEND MY KNEE TO October 2011 For being on the Vanilla forums for 81 days before it was shut down For your match versus your brother, ThePlasticCanteen. You two played an amazing, unique oldschool-style match.<br />
<br />
You deserve a pat on the back, but all I have to give is this. <3 For organizing a successful collab with at least 20 people! For organizing a successful collab with at least 10 people! For participating in 10 completed collabs! For completing 10 tennis matches! For completing 5 tennis matches! For finding all three I.M. Meen pics! Thanks for being Strike-Free! For servicing our mod staff! For working on the Chewiki!

VGFM

John Carpenter's The Thing

I'm no fan of horror movies, but it's refreshing whenever I see a horror film that's smart and, more importantly, has smart characters in it.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Grease Witherspoon

John Carpenter's The Thing

I'm no fan of horror movies, but it's refreshing whenever I see a horror film that's smart and, more importantly, has smart characters in it.

The Thing is so good that it's almost as shame that it has to be called a 'horror film' because of how horrible most 'horror films' are now and days.

It's probably the best horror film ever made. It's more fun to watch in the winter though.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013 2013 January 2013 - "Batmans Overtly Sexual Fair Use Adventure" (Sentence mix-core) December 2011 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 55 videos A whoppin' 25 videos uploaded.

Grease Witherspoon

Cape Fear is the kind of film where the legal aspects of the film are at times nonsensical and for a lawyer the protagonist acts really stupid at times but aside from that it was very intense and entertaining.

I didn't know how much Side show bob episodes of the simpsons were directly emulating Cape Fear. Even the sideshow bob theme song is from Cape Fear. That makes those episodes way more hilarious now that I understand the context.

Wanna see a shot by shot comparison?

06.jpg

The simpsons episode entitled Cape Feare was the last episode with most of the shows original writers in tact.

Also I just love Cape Munster so much.

If you ever watch cape fear you should immediately go on youtube and watch ben stiller show's Cape Munster and laugh your ass off.

Full Metal Kiwi

The Innkeepers. This movie proved how horror movies are such shit nowadays and how to construct the perfect horror experience. Talking about it kind of spoils the mood it sets, but needless to say it is a horror movie for people who watch horror movies. You recognize every trope, every cliché and the movie punishes you for the expectation. Not knowing horror movies that well would actually make the movie not as scary, but if you know what to look for you freak yourself out over it.

The movie even messes with you, waiting nice and long before scaring you. The beginning was so slow, my wife and I were laughing that we were supposed to be taking it serious. And then it happens. The movie sets just the mood and atmosphere so well that you get scared. It's the feeling you get when going into the basement and the light goes out and you swear you heard something. What you are thinking makes what's really there that much worse. That's this movie. It's such a huge achievement that I really want to call this my favorite horror film of all time, and I have seen a lot. And you know what? It's about ghosts. Not aliens, not serial killers, not skeletons, just plain old ethereal ghosts.

I highly recommend this. Watch it in the dark for 2spooky4me mode. Sit nice and close and don't look away for Dante Must Die mode. It's worth it.

Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

SirSigma

Memento

We didn't get to see the whole thing since we're going to watch Cabin In The Woods next class, which is on Halloween.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

SashicX

Saw a fairly long documentary film at my Lab Class. This movie talked about different kinds of genetics that are in dogs, wolfs, and foxes that lived in Siberia (like the different colored furs and adaptations). It was pretty interesting.

2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Congratulations! For placing sixth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 85,000 Chewbucks! Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Ranked among December 2011's Top 10 list in the Sentence Mix-Core category. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 61 days before it was shut down

Robotic

The Innkeepers. This movie proved how horror movies are such shit nowadays and how to construct the perfect horror experience. Talking about it kind of spoils the mood it sets, but needless to say it is a horror movie for people who watch horror movies. You recognize every trope, every cliché and the movie punishes you for the expectation. Not knowing horror movies that well would actually make the movie not as scary, but if you know what to look for you freak yourself out over it.

The movie even messes with you, waiting nice and long before scaring you. The beginning was so slow, my wife and I were laughing that we were supposed to be taking it serious. And then it happens. The movie sets just the mood and atmosphere so well that you get scared. It's the feeling you get when going into the basement and the light goes out and you swear you heard something. What you are thinking makes what's really there that much worse. That's this movie. It's such a huge achievement that I really want to call this my favorite horror film of all time, and I have seen a lot. And you know what? It's about ghosts. Not aliens, not serial killers, not skeletons, just plain old ethereal ghosts.

I highly recommend this. Watch it in the dark for 2spooky4me mode. Sit nice and close and don't look away for Dante Must Die mode. It's worth it.

If you haven't seen House Of The Devil yet, DO IT. It's written and directed by the same person.

If you thought Innkeepers was good, oh man. Man oh man.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Ride

Cloud Atlas is probably the best film I've seen all year, and that's saying something because 2012 has been a stellar year for movies.

So many plot threads, so many characters, so much detail. All held together masterfully by fantastic writing, direction, and acting for almost three hours, without ever becoming tiresome. And contrary to what so many people seem to be saying, it's not difficult to follow as long as you're paying attention.

Everyone should see this damn thing.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for having 52 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015 Met Wasted May 2012 - "Donkey Kong Gets Laid at Least Once" (Classic) December 2011 - Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 23 videos Posting after Dopply Dramatic-ass CD-i. For WINNIN'. For playin'. See them search me, watch them rape... YOUCHEWERS ARE A SUPERIOR SPECIES<br />
<br />
YOU'RE RIDE THE CAT, INITIALS R C For lots of Chewiki service. WalrusGuy interview. For news writing.