• Announcements

• Whelt

Regarding the recent update   07/20/2017

As you may be aware, the forum software underwent an update that turned out to be somewhat buggy. We rolled back the update for now, and will plan on making a more smooth transition later on in the future. In the meantime, you may notice the forum loading slowly as a lot of processes are running right now. We ask for your continued patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
The Pope

Channel Awesome

3,530 posts in this topic

On 7/17/2017 at 7:06 PM, JimPaladin said:

I didn't want that entire Pocahontas video because I'm not sitting through 32 minutes of it, but the gist I gathered is that she's bitching about it being culturally insensitive and that trivializing colonialism to turn it into a children's cartoon movie is wrong. Further than that, she somehow tried to claim that Moana is a "remake" of Pocahontas because they share a few general similarities as well as a few broad similarities (the kind of similarities that are overarching and seen in many stories, especially Disney ones). Feel free to totally correct me if I was wrong on any of that and she eventually warps them into a more deeper and fulfilling meaning, because like I said I just skimmed it.

The first claim is pretty standard, I have no idea how she could possibly take 30 minutes to talk about it. The second claim is fucking stupid and wrong and she reaches way too hard with a lot of her supposed 'copies', up until the point where she's not even making comparisons anymore and is just blindly trying to tell you the two movies are SUPA SIMLAR U GUYS11.

Man it's hard to be worse than Doug Walker but she really beat the man at his own game. Bravo to that.

Except that's not the point of what she's talking about. Yes, her main point is that Pocahontas does tend to paint colonialism as a net positive (with tacked-on "but the other side/natives were just as bad as the Europeans" message that was passe even when The Searchers did it), but her larger point isn't so much how it inadvertently praises colonialism but instead dips into a lot of the regressive Native American stereotypes of the '50s and '60s by Jeffrey Katzenberg's hand when he okayed the final form of the film, esp. with Pocahontas being aged so that they could depict her as a sexpot along with making the Powhatans somewhat animalistic. It's the kind of film that was tailor-made to people who've abused the idea of a blood quantum to either go all Rachel Dolezal on us (Ward Churchill) or simply use nativeness as a fashion accessory (everybody who claims to have Cherokee ancestry without actually having evidence of it) - none of the cynicism and realism of stuff like Little Big Man, where our hero is very white (but raised in Native culture) and the film's big message isn't that skin color isn't what determines your morality but instead the culture you've been raised in (i.e. a white kid raised in black culture will be more in tune with black culture than they are with white culture) and how certain cultures will prioritize certain elements (say, the acquisition of power and money and influence) and instill that will on others. Pocahontas wants to keep those morals, but they do it with so many half-measures and concessions to heartland America that it feels half-baked. It doesn't feel like the story we need to hear but instead the story we want to hear. Another feel-good story that conditions us into thinking that all minorities will eventually accept us as misinformed rather than taking into consideration that, over years and years of this shit, minorities won't all have that same opinion and may just not care for you because of what your culture represents to them.

Also, she does have a discussion about cultural appropriation. You would've turned it off as soon as she said that (if you hadn't turned it off during the first five minutes) because, let's face it, you don't like sitting around for the entire argument if it's somebody you doctrinally disagree with, but her discussion is that all cultures appropriate from one another. As long as there's money and narratives to be made from it, it's always going to be appropriative. Because of this, Lindsay states that cultural appropriation isn't a positive or a negative but the ultimate zero sum game/neutral term. It's meant to be a neutral term - anything is appropriative, but anything can appropriate while looking like they somehow stepped 50 years back into the past as far as social mores (and similarly, anything can appropriate because "shit, that looks interesting for a story"). 

Her larger point is that Moana remedies the mistakes of Pocahontas because of various things:

1. Actually getting Polynesian cultures to work on the film, going as far as hiring VA talent for the Polynesian peoples
2. Moving the locale to pre-Columbian Polynesia so that colonialism only rears part of its ugly head (due to how influential colonialism was on popular and sociological culture for the entire Earth)
3. Giving Moana actual agency (as opposed to Grandmother Willow saying "but Kilroy Pocahontas, what about the youth of America Powhatans" and urging Pocahontas to stay)
4. Recognizing that, yes, native stories will be appropriated by larger corporations in order to tell them (hey, it's the intersection of art and commerce - and commerce often wins), but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be told. If a large corporation can use appropriation for good and lessen all negative impact, then people will have a much rounder view of native cultures.
5. Moana and Maui don't fight Tamatoa at a Cheesecake Factory.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

Or, in a nutshell, the two main points of the video can be divvied down to

- Pocahontas made mistakes during development
- What lessons did Disney learn

It's not like the whole video is just "Pocahontas is bad" because, well, no shit. And the Moana thing is less "this is a carbon remake!!!" and more her using it as a lens for what Disney's learned since Pocahontas.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

If her point isn't trying to heavily compare Moana to Pocahontas as a 'carbon remake', maybe she shouldn't lead with either a stupid point/joke that drags on for too long even after it's past all of the applicable (if still reaching/weak) comparisons. Just a suggestion, but what do I know about humor I guess.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Oh look! A DVD-R Hell episode that's not about Tequila and Bonetti, but about a video from England about the dangers of "the occult", including Dungeons & Dragons.

Also, I want that shirt Brad is wearing.

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

you know when i heard the lyric about JayZ giving away a million dollars of advice for $10 i was all like "yeah thanks "hove" i'll just use my first million from my new app i just made because I'm a silicon valley shitboy.

but if he's talking to young "successful" rappers with that line, like, yeah okay if someone has a million dollars to spend buy a Picasso or something sure.

For staying warn free for 9 years For meeting Toony! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

The Cinema Snob reviews a feature-length advertisement for a Christian dating site. Yes. Apparently that exists.

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

I should have posted this earlier, but I suppose it's better late than never.

BONES BOMBS LOCK UP THE THROTTLE For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Wads of dosh ALL THE LOOOOOVE For collecting all 4 Wonderball items. EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event!

For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting all the standard ornaments For completing Super Mario Land 1 & 2 during our community challenge event. For participating in ten successful collaborations You've reached 20 medals. This is now yours! Best Writer 2015 Friendliest User 2014
Friendliest User 2016
Smartest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Writer 2017 Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2014, Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Getting 2nd in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For writing 15609 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Cake, etc. etc. Since it's inevitable, this is for the million that I got. I am a Writing Staff! :D

Also, you've done well for my niggaz writing this shit! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

Doug looks at Tom and Jerry and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory and Selling Out and Rock Bottom.

Interestingly, this is the fourth review he's done in a while. I'm curious if he's dropping the editorials and swapping them out for these standard older-styled reviews without Tamara and Malcolm.

Spoiler

I won't lie, while I didn't think the final face at the end of the tunnel scene was that funny, all of the buildup and Doug's freakout did make me laugh pretty hard.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!