The Pope

Channel Awesome

3,705 replies to this topic

Crazy Luigi

Oh what the Hell, I'm in the mood to try and cheer up a bit! Might as well discuss thoughts on the "Best Hit Songs" now...

Spoiler
  • #10: Eh, not really a big fan of it. I mean, I get why people like it (and it probably was Post Malone's best song in general at the time), but I've heard better. Not much to say, really.
  • #9: Honestly, the further the year went on, the more it was a song to dislike than actually like. I mean, it kind of feels like this song's only here because by comparison, Katy Perry herself had a shitty year! Sorry, but I don't buy that so much. (Also, I kind of wish Skip Marley had a bit of a better year than he did as well, although I can't say Katy didn't quite deserve it for her shit.)
  • #8: Okay, so that's three songs in a row now that I don't give a fuck for or dislike! Seriously, I actually dislike this song for how boring and monotonous it sounds, and yet this gets in?! Oh boy, I should have realized I was in for a long one here...
  • #7: ...And as soon as I say that, there's a song I actually like for real! (It's actually a Top 10 song also, and it's personally in the 10-6 range of my own.) While there's a sense of melancholy around it, the fact that it's about Adele's future husband and it resulting in her sounding more heartwarming on that song actually helps the song in general! So yeah, I like this song no problem! : )
  • #6: Somehow, I knew he'd talk about this one! And honestly, why not?! There's a reason why I mentioned her album this year as an honorable mention this past year, and her battle with Dr. Luke helped make Rainbow sound all the more triumphant in the process! In fact, even though I'd personally put this song in my Top 3 in general (probably not #1, but close enough), I actually get Todd's stance here with it being a powerful song that you kind of need to have space for listens before going for it again. So kudos on Todd's end here.
  • #5: Yes, I knew it! I fucking knew it! :D I forgive Todd for including Perfect in his worst of 2017 video now. (Seriously, it's just so damn beautiful as a song, to the point where it's also in my Top 3 for pop songs this year! (Although it'd probably be at #3 exactly, if I'm being honest.) I mean, the detailing on this song really is top notch, to the point where I sometimes wish more pop songs in general had it in them, if only because it'd help spice things up in our current worldview.)
  • #4: Wow, he's been on a roll now! It's certainly on my Top 10 this year, if not very close to it, and as I mentioned before, it not only helped make Calvin Harris sound good throughout the entire year (although I do wish his Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 album was more publicly praised than it actually was), but it sincerely made Migos (the same guys who were previously best known for shit songs like Versace and Hannah Montana before 2017 came and went where they suddenly became the next Cash Money Records' Big 3) sound tolerable for once! Of course, some of that could be the result of having someone like Frank Ocean on board, but I can say Offset had a good sounding verse himself. It's just a fun, good sounding song to dance to, and I'm honestly a bit surprised it wasn't higher on Todd's list, considering that he does like those happier sounding tunes by comparison.
  • #3: Alright, so now there's a song I kind of like, but I don't think it deserves an honorable mention on my end. I mean, I get where Todd's coming from here, I really do. However, I'm just not as wild about this song as I was with Shawn Mendes' comeback song, believe it or not! While I might have technically heard Charlie Puth's comeback song first, I just have that better appreciation for There's Nothing Holding Me Back at least a little bit, if not a lot more by comparison.
  • #2: Eh... I'm not that high on this song, at all. I mean, I definitely get the appeal, but considering how downright awful the rest of the album this song was on truly was (I mean, there's a reason why I mentioned it as one of the worst albums released this past year when YouChew's The Best of 2017 nominations page finally came out), it just ruins whatever appeal it may have had for me. Like, sure they made Paris & Something Just Like This with Emily Warren completely uncredited on the former track (that's actually talked about here) and Coldplay on the latter (which I'd almost argue was a bit better by comparison), but after that... no. Fuck Memories... Do Not Open!
  • HM #1: I'm honestly a bit surprised it wasn't on the other list, if I'm being veracious about it! I mean, it's kind of the complete anti-thesis of what I'd expect him to like at times.
  • HM #2: Yeah, I'd say this song was at the just right spot, actually. Not quite Top 10 material, but close enough to where it's unique sound (at least in comparison to the majority of mainstream music) does the exact things needed to make it enjoyable.
  • HM #3: At least it's nice that he gave a shoutout to SZA (and Travis Scott) for this spot. SZA in particular deserves it, especially after her inclusion (via association with Maroon 5) on the Worst Songs of 2017 list. Of course, now that he mentioned that cut, I kind of feel bad also. :c
  • HM #4: Eh. I get why people like it, but I can't help but sense a general douchiness to this particular song. And yet, I'm not sure why!
  • HM #5: Well, speak of the Devil! >:D (Seriously, I'm glad to see Shawn Mendes' song is on here.)
  • HM #6: Not quite a Billboard chart-topper, but you know what? I'll gladly make an exception here. : )
  • HM #7: Alright. That's not bad. Kind of a song that's underappreciated in that aspect.
  • HM #8: Again, like the previous two songs, this wasn't quite a Billboard chart-topper, but I'm okay with it all the same.
  • HM #9: Yeah, America is rather cold on Carly Rae Jepson in this case. I blame Call Me Maybe for this shit! (Bastard...)
  • #1: Oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This was definitely underappreciated for what it was, and if it was better received in the U.S.A. than it really was, I can actually see many, many people say it was the Best Hit Song proper! Why it didn't do so well this year, I swear I'll never know. But you know what? I can appreciate ToddInTheShadows just a bit more for enjoying Lorde's Melodrama all the same, even with the shake start for his list. : )
  • Also, bonus shout-out for Redbone by Childish Gambino being the end-song and Havana by Camila Cabello (and Young Thug) be the opening song via piano.

Honestly, even though it was a shaky start, I can say I actually appreciate his list as a whole this year!

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus BONES BOMBS LOCK UP THE THROTTLE For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Wads of dosh ALL THE LOOOOOVE For collecting all 4 Wonderball items. EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event!

For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting all the standard ornaments For completing Super Mario Land 1 & 2 during our community challenge event. For participating in ten successful collaborations You've reached 20 medals. This is now yours! Best Writer 2015 Friendliest User 2014
Friendliest User 2016
Smartest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Writer 2017 Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2014, Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Getting 2nd in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For writing 15609 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Cake, etc. etc. Since it's inevitable, this is for the million that I got. I am a Writing Staff! :D

Also, you've done well for my niggaz writing this shit! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

The Pope

Doug takes a break this week, but has a vlog to fill the gap.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Zump

Phelous rolls out a review of the awful and painfully boring Bevanfield Films Aladdin. I had this movie on VHS as a kid, and judging by the review it's even worse than I remember.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 131 days before it was shut down