Videos

Announcement

The Writing Staff is currently looking for new members. Click here for more info

Our Latest Article: Hiring New Writing Staff Members
Photo

Old instruction manuals

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Online Whelt

Whelt
  • 82,363 posts
  • Joined 13 October 2007
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:38 PM

I was cleaning today and I found a pile of N64 and GBA enclosed instruction booklets. They're not uncommon games by any means, so they're probably already available online somewhere, but I'm not sure. The ones I have are:

Mario Party
Mario Party 2
Donkey Kong 64
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Episode I Racer
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Glover
Nascar 99
Gex: Enter the Gecko

Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Super Mario Advance
Super Mario Advance 3
Wario Land 4
Wario Land II (GBC)
Frogger (GBC)

Some of them are pretty funny and written in character, like the Wario ones and Donkey Kong. So basically I'm just saying, if anyone is interested in these, I could try scanning them.
imgonnacutya2.pngeggfestWHELT.png
2013 For the category of User With Funniest Avatars. For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

#2 Offline Essemkay

Essemkay
  • 11,805 posts
  • Joined 01 August 2008
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

I can't compile a full list right now, but I know I have manuals for Pokemon Crystal and Oracle of Ages.

The Warioware manuals are hilarious. I hope they keep doing the in-character gag even with the move to digital booklets.

fXg09xk.jpg

Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

#3 Online SushieBoy

SushieBoy
  • 12,269 posts
  • Joined 27 September 2007
  • LocationHank Hell's Haunted House

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

I have a few NES manuals that have very crudely drawn images. Like for example the manual for Mega Man 2, in one page it has an awful drawing of Mega Man's head as the 1-up icon, which looks like it was scribbled quickly then scanned terribly. There's also a section dedicated on how to beat Air Man's stage. I also have the manuals for Super Mario Bros, Super C, Bionic Commando, and RC Pro Am 1-2. Some have game screenshots that look terrible.

The manual for Super Mario Bros is pretty damn hilarious with it's enemy descriptions, localizers back then really were just goofing off and having fun huh:

audyyr.jpg

"his orders are to find and destroy Mario" Seems a bit excessive for a Koopa. "this turtle is under control, but likes to take it easy" *cue Eureka 7 music*. The one that really gets me is that they describe Spiny as a wild fighter. What's wild about him? I get that it was a time where you still needed to use a bit of imagination when playing games, but they were just overselling it.

2jb5frq.jpg
Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

#4 Online EmmBee

EmmBee
  • 8,569 posts
  • Joined 04 February 2011
  • LocationGood Egg Galaxy

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:43 PM

I loved reading the manuals I got with games when I rented them. The ones that come to mind are Mario Party 6, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Sonic Adventure 2.

Probably because they all had stuff like item lists or character profiles. That was pretty cool.

tumblr_inline_n30kymVdkv1ra1hmg.gif

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

#5 Online appdirect

appdirect
  • 29,266 posts
  • Joined 16 August 2008
  • LocationHere

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

2-3.jpg

2n1zvq0.jpg

1st as "Member with Funniest Posts" - 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

#6 Online SushieBoy

SushieBoy
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:56 PM

It's a shame I've lost most of my N64 boxes and manuals, but I still have the manual for Mario Kart 64, and it has some beautiful images:

2wdsy9w.jpg

300e3ae.jpg

It's nice to see Nintendo considered DK and Toad punching bags so early.

2jb5frq.jpg
Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

#7 Online Whelt

Whelt
  • 82,363 posts
  • Joined 13 October 2007
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:08 PM

Where did you find that?
imgonnacutya2.pngeggfestWHELT.png
2013 For the category of User With Funniest Avatars. For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

#8 Online SushieBoy

SushieBoy
  • 12,269 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:13 PM

http://www.mariomayh...klets/index.php

Their SNES manual scans don't seem to work for me for whatever reason.

edit: They're working for me now, The SMRPG manual has Luigi giving you tips, his art is in 2D which is odd since the game itself is pre-rendered.

2jb5frq.jpg

#9 Offline SashicX

SashicX
  • 7,588 posts
  • Joined 30 January 2008
  • LocationVancouver, British Columbia

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

The only "old" instruction manual I got is Donkey Kong 64. Cranky Kong's tips make me chuckle, they are full of sarcasm. Here's a few quotes from him:

tumblr_m2s8pg7xsd1rrftcdo1_500.jpgcranky.jpg

2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Congratulations! For placing sixth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 85,000 Chewbucks! Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Ranked among December 2011's Top 10 list in the Sentence Mix-Core category. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 61 days before it was shut down

#10 Offline Girla PurpleHeart

Girla PurpleHeart
  • 9,625 posts
  • Joined 05 August 2007
  • LocationDwarf Planet Eris

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

Oh man, I used to love reading the game manuals before and after I played the game. I have billions of them, but I can't seem to find them. Hopefully in the future, I might scan them whenever I get the chance.

Also, we need a website that has almost all the game manuals that people wish to see.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

#11 Offline AGSMA

AGSMA
  • 25,184 posts
  • Joined 03 April 2009
  • Locationon a steam train

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:33 AM

I lost all of my GBC instruction manuals and I have very few manuals from my GBA games, and all of them are from Pokémon games.

I also have a manual of Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex which my cousin gave it to me, but the game's disc and keep case were given to another person. What an asshole.

Mandrake_zpsb0946ae2.png

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

#12 Offline Phoenon

Phoenon
  • 35,181 posts
  • Joined 11 August 2007
  • Locationビデオゲームわどこですか

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:36 PM

Remember when you were younger and got a new game and you opened up the game just to read the manual until you got home?

Too bad there's no reason to bother with manuals nowadays since most of them are so lifeless, and some don't even have them at all.

HkP1LSq.png

May 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 233 days before it was shut down Placing #2 in the Wheel Gator Speed Run. You're now certified potty trained. Go get 'em tiger.

#13 Offline randomc

randomc
  • 9,556 posts
  • Joined 19 January 2008

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Does anyone know where I can find scans of the Chester Cheetah: Too Cool to Fool manual? I heard it's chock full of Engrish.
oDJCgHr.gif
3DS: 2191-7968-4165 Wii U: randomc XY name: S. Chameleon Steam page
Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years March 2012 - "SOME ASIAN GUYS FIGHT OVER A ROOM KEY" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos December 2011 - Regular, Overall, Classic For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Well done, Link. For being on the Vanilla forums for 72 days before it was shut down 25 poops in the showroom. For uploading 5 YTP's in the Showroom.

#14 Online appdirect

appdirect
  • 29,266 posts
  • Joined 16 August 2008
  • LocationHere

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

kgrhqnqufeectvuntbrevgd.jpg

Home Improvement for the SNES is such a silly game.

2n1zvq0.jpg

1st as "Member with Funniest Posts" - 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

#15 Offline Yoshit

Yoshit
  • 7,341 posts
  • Joined 29 September 2010
  • LocationSasebo-shi, Nagasaki-ken, Japan

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:53 PM

I have a lot of Japanese manuals, like Super Mario Bros. 3, Yoshi no Tamago, Hoshi no Kirby, Doki Doki Panic (yes, I own the disk), Nazo no Murasamejou (also mine), and a few others. I don't have any English manuals in my possession, though.

Maybe I can look at the Doki Doki Panic manual and possibly end the debate over Birdo's gender.

Smugsailor.jpgos3_zps51795684.gifs.pngs.pngs.pngs.pngs.pngs.png

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having your blog entry featured.

#16 Offline Maestro Snail

Maestro Snail
  • 32,277 posts
  • Joined 07 October 2008
  • LocationThrough the looking glass.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

My family keeps all our instruction booklets. Even though we've hardly ever had to look them up for information.

Anyway, we have instruction manuals for N64, PS1, GameCube, GBA, DS and Wii games, including NES ports for the GBA. Most, if not all, are localized for Scandinavian countries, as well as Finland. One thing that always bothered me is how they would always have a Swedish and a Danish section, but not a Norwegian one. Why? Well, this trio of languages are very similar to one another, so resorting to reading Swedish/Danish shouldn't cause any major problems. But still, I do feel offended that my language got treated as a question of "are the extra pages worth the cost? Probably not." I wonder just how many of these booklets offer "ENGLISH - SVENSKA - DANSK - SUOMI" and nothing more. Anyone know what Icelandics got?

Sometimes I like to look into these old booklets when I eat; for whatever reason, doing so improves my appetite.

sigpic32a.png

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years