Deaniac

Normal Boots

987 replies to this topic

JazzDanceForChildren

I watched the debate shortly after it came out and I thought that most of Jon's points were pretty indefensible in a way that can't be explained through poor presentation alone. I think it takes a pretty glaring lack of foresight to supplement the argument that immigration poses an existential threat to white Americans that they are justified in opposing with the idea that we live in a post-oppression society where discrimination against any social group isn't a serious problem anymore. The latter sort of precludes the very possibility of a non-racist justification for the former. People with green eyes are a steep minority, would any reasonable person fear being subjected to the fate of being a green-eyed person in America simply because they're a minority?

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

Maq

Well even him saying "Discrimination doesn't exist anymore", that's not a comment you can just throw under the rug, no matter how he tries to apologize. And as people have mentioned before, Jon has done a lot of gross and offensive shit in the past (even in the GG days) so people who give him a free pass and are just like, yeah I'll keep watching his videos, I think they're giving him too much of a pat on the back.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Whelt
1 hour ago, 2112pk said:

Serious, good faith question here.

Did anyone NOT see all this coming after jon did an interveiw with fucking BREITBART, "Bill Kristol Renagade Jew" breitbart, "the confederate flag boats a proud heritage" breitbart.

I've been IRRECONCILABLY done with the hateful little lard since then personally, fucker's made his bed.

I didn't even know he did that, but that's pretty fuckin' bad

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

pizzawave

Yeahhhhh he's kinda dead to me now that I've really looked into it.

For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Best Newcomer 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

kingplatypus
8 hours ago, Dopply said:

Unfortunately it seems like most people willing to give Jon a pass are those who aren't hurt by his views. I couldn't imagine how fans of his work who happen to be non-white could reconcile enjoying his videos while knowing in the background he despises them. 

'Separate the art from the artist' and 'ignoring his politics' is pretty easy to do when you aren't affected by their toxic beliefs. While I don't believe in witch hunts, I think it's important not to give him a pass just because he made videos people enjoy. He said some vile shit that's not easily forgiven. He would have to work very hard to convince me and others that he is not a white supremacist, and take some large and clearly visible steps to mend the bridge he's broken with the people he disappointed. 

Honestly, reading some of the more serious posts on the JonTron subreddit is a bit heartbreaking. So many people looked up to Jon, and he just shit all over them because of this incident.

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

King D. Supersepiroth

At this point, I don't think Jon is gonna change until one of his friends talks to him.

PBG or even Ethan would be good, but it's unlikely now.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For getting 20 awards For collecting all the bronze cards For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Organizing and completing the Harkinian League Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For being a super teammate Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

thapoint09

Who does he even have left at this point that 1) doesn't agree with him, and 2) would even bother?

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 3 years. August 2014 - "Lady Ski Conquers Compton" (Sentence mix-core) Best Musician 2014, Best Musician 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos September 2013 - Overall, Regular

King D. Supersepiroth

Literally no one.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For getting 20 awards For collecting all the bronze cards For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Organizing and completing the Harkinian League Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For being a super teammate Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

Liebermintz

excuse me for this, but I've been reading a lot of the defenses of Jon's actions in the Livestream and the acceptance of his "clarification" on YouTube and I need to get this off my chest. I don't care if it makes me took stupid, I just want to air this all out:

I love how, in the apology video, he took a joke from Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (which is in the vein of pretty much every "haha white people trying too hard" joke everybody's made once in their life - you say you haven't made fun of it? well, let me introduce you to Jonathan Davis and Fred Durst) and actually legitimately interpreted it as proof that the mainstream media is trying to make you feel bad for being white.

problem is: where was this shit when Limp Bizkit was around? where were the people saying that we shouldn't shame Fred Durst but instead the people who took the expected potshots at how he's quite possibly the whitest rapper? why is it that Macklemore and Trump supporters, out of all people, spur this response?

and even with that said, Jon still said some Davis Aurini-level bullshit in that livestream no amount of "clarification" can do. if anything, he's trying to aim more for that sort of "race realism"/"reverse racism" bullshit that completely misses the mark regarding why racism is racism. that distinction Jon completely misses is the same distinction between why Spike Lee making fun of Sal and his family in Do the Right Thing isn't racist while Mammy, Prissy and Pork from Gone with the Wind are considered so. When you're invoking those counterarguments, you're effectively turning racism into a black and white issue and casting your enemy as the villain - that they don't deserve any humanization. It's the same bullshit that made Zoe Quinn flee from her home, the same bullshit behind why everybody thinks Anita actually said "everything is X" when she didn't even say it in the original context of the speech (she was making lighthearted fun of "newborn activists" who spend their first year calling out everything in the style of a Flobots song - i.e. without subtlety), the same bullshit why everybody on lolcow forums thinks it's fair game to publish the deadnames and exclusively misgender and deadname transgender lolcows because "they're too dumb, why should we respect their identity," etc.

why else do people on the defensive tend to think that all of the alt-right and young-conservative movements act dumb? it's because Jon's citing fucking Breitbart in talking about the media instilling white guilt, him saying all this racist crap in a livestream and halfheartedly "clarifying" himself in a video that uses a Samantha Bee joke that I've heard a hundred times before (and done better) as evidence of why reverse racism exists. it's because the people willing to actually cover this movement in a positive light are usually connected to the woman who shut down the Equal Rights Amendment, a couple of homegrown white nationalists who claim that they're not sexist because they go to strip clubs, guys who legitimately think an openly gay man and a Democratic chairman are kidnapping thousands of kids in D.C. and raping them inside the lock-in freezer at a pizza joint, Swedish bodybuilders who unironically talk about how evil Jews are while killing hundreds of civilians in Skyrim, trolls who claim that Pepe isn't racist but use him in their avatars and their display names while posting coon songs and deadnaming every trans celebrity. 

you think that with that membership, people are going to think you're sane and rational?

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

Whelt

The whole white guilt thing is confusing to me. If you're capable of self-reflection, you won't have to feel guilty about anything. To become that defensive about it just makes it seem like you actually do feel guilty.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

zoc

I got a huge kick out of a lot of Jons' content, whether on his original channel or Game Grumps (though I can agree that it's not for everyone) so hearing about all of this right now is incredibly disappointing. Even with an explicit apology it's going to take a lot for me to forget about what he's said, much less forgive it. Saying stuff like that about discrimination/immigration and whatever is basically grounds for a massive uproar when spoken about like how he did and despite him acknowledging his comments and deciding to just stick to his game stuff I really don't think it suddenly gives the whole situation a giant band-aid. A lot of people are angry about this and will be for a long time, and regardless of the circumstances I really think he should have known what he was getting himself into.

Me personally? I'm not angry, so much as just sad. Sad that all of this is happening. I still love his videos but it's undoubtedly going to feel awkward watching them :/

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

kingplatypus

I wanted to point out as well, that Mic video Jon pointed to in his clarification video, the one with the clickbait tag "Are all white people racist? Yes they are.", wasn't actually about how all white people are racist. It's an incredibly stupid tag, yes, but the video itself is actually about racial biases and how everyone has them, not just white people.

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

The Pope

I wonder if this will make him go "You know, maybe instead of apologizing for the way my message came across I should do some soul-searching on whether my beliefs are wrong" or if he's just going to think "those sjw cucks free speech is being impeded".

Something tells me in the back of my throat it'll be the latter, but hey, who knows. Maybe the boy can learn.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

trepmaws

Was wondering if we'd see anything else big happen to him as result of this (other than the other Normal Boots folks taking a big step away from him). Guess that aforementioned ultimatum is playing out after all.

3 hours ago, The Pope said:

I wonder if this will make him go "You know, maybe instead of apologizing for the way my message came across I should do some soul-searching on whether my beliefs are wrong" or if he's just going to think "those sjw cucks free speech is being impeded".

Something tells me in the back of my throat it'll be the latter, but hey, who knows. Maybe the boy can learn.

I dunno, this seems like it would fit pretty well into the kind of narrative he was spouting. Given that and the fact his video a few days ago offered no actual apology for what he said ("I'm gonna stop talking" is not the same as "I shouldn't have said that"), it wouldn't surprise me if this just makes him dig in harder. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Posted Nep Nep hentai For staying strike free for 7 years. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Meeting MycroProcessor Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Here's to another 4 years before anyone else gets it hooray!