TheOneManBoxOffice

Last game you've beaten

870 replies to this topic

Dieathan

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

For what is essentially the first proper fully 3D title in the series (All the past games except for Ys III: Wanderers of Ys used a top-down perspective akin to the 2D Zelda games), it's surprisingly better than I anticipated overall, though the story while rather simple and straightforward, there's a certain sincerity to it that I can't help but admire. The combat feels fast-paced, rewarding, and engaging, and the soundtrack is pretty damn great, but that last part probably is to be expected from a Ys game I suppose. Didn't expect the game to give me an extra boss right at the end for the True Ending, though it did prove to be a good challenge on Hard. I might go back to take on the postgame dungeon at least a bit later though, but maybe not right now.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

VentXekart

2064: Read Only Memories.

As I mentioned in the 'last game I played' thread I managed to make it through the game without making any shitty dialogue and/or action choices before getting one of the good endings where all of the ROM's become sapient. Once again, its a pretty charming game with a retro 16-bit art style and I like how the author managed to integrate some elements of a first-person shooter and/or maze crawler into the point-and-click game mechanics of the game.

For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Many doors, yes? Richard Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

The Pope

From what I hear, 2064 and VA-11 Hall-A are extremely similar and are practically cousins (characters even cross over and cameo in each others' games, which I'm not a huge fan of but whatever). I'm curious as to how 2064 is compared to VA-11 Hall-A; my guess is it's good but I can't imagine liking it anywhere near as much as I did VA-11 Hall-A, which at this point can probably be chalked up among my favorite games, at least in my top 20.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Ben

I beat the original Fallout, and while I wouldn't call it bad or below average, my thoughts on it are pretty mixed. On the one hand, I really like the setting and it has a pretty good atmosphere for such an old game. The system isn't as refined as later games, which is to say that certain skills are nearly useless and a lot of perks are apparently not worth getting, but it has the right mechanics in place to make replaying with different character builds it worth considering. I didn't bother with many side quests, but I appreciate that there are often multiple solutions to a problem. I wound up going with a build focused heavily on Small Guns and Speech, among other things. It's not fair to judge the graphics by today's standards of course, but I kinda liked the clay models.

However, I'm not a fan of the interface. Inventory management is tedious because everything is listed together and as far as I know, there's no way to reorganize items efficiently. Caps (currency) are treated as an item not unlike the weapons and armor you use, which means that bartering is kind of a chore, especially when you're purchasing expensive stuff and you can only offer caps in increments of 999. But I think the biggest problem I had was with the combat. The system itself is alright in theory - turn-based gameplay dependent on Action Points where you have the option of targeting specific points on an enemy - but it winds up being one of the game's shortcomings. The turn-by-turn animations are unbearably slow by default, and it took me a while to change them. Fighting against multiple enemies can take a long time, and performing actions feels pretty clunky, especially when you're trying to use your inventory or utilize healing items.

Overall, it's an alright game, but I much prefer New Vegas. I'll probably start on Fallout 2 sooner or later.

Super Metroid complete You've GOT to be kidding Best Writer 2017 Millhouse, I'm so sorry! It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Dieathan

Blast Corps

I finally for the first time ever in my life got all of the Gold Medals in the game, essentially completing it minus the Platinum Medals because screw those, and I've rediscovered my hatred for the vehicle that is the Backlash. Drifting into buildings with it makes sense on paper, but it handles incredibly badly, and even if you hit the building with its rear end, you're not guaranteed said building will collapse. To make matters worse, it becomes emphasised quite a bit in the later levels of the game where you have only the Backlash at your disposal, as if Rare knew it controlled badly and designed some of these levels that way out of spite. And don't even get me started on the nonsense level design choices that went into Oyster Harbor. So many beginner's traps everywhere, and only now have I finally managed to beat it if only through YouTube videos showing off just how much that level hates you. To top it off, upon getting the last Gold Medal that was on Neptune, my game save corrupted itself out of nowhere, and all my progress got wiped clean. It would've been nice to have the save file still on hand, but I guess you can't win them all I suppose, and I sure as hell am not doing it all again anytime soon.

Great game overall, but fuck Oyster Harbor and just about anything to do with the Backlash. Why does Blast Corps require a Controller Pak for saves and not have a built-in save battery for that?

The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Crazy Luigi

For me, it's currently Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle. I'll probably talk about it later on in an article at some point, but spoiler alert, it's actually quite a lot of fun (surprisingly enough)! Quite challenging to 100% (primarily for the last boss and the first two Ultimate Challenges (in my opinion)), but a lot of fun to do all the same, despite some rather frustrating moments along the way.

BONES BOMBS LOCK UP THE THROTTLE For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Wads of dosh ALL THE LOOOOOVE For collecting all 4 Wonderball items. EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event!

For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting all the standard ornaments For completing Super Mario Land 1 & 2 during our community challenge event. For participating in ten successful collaborations You've reached 20 medals. This is now yours! Best Writer 2015 Friendliest User 2014
Friendliest User 2016
Smartest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Writer 2017 Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2014, Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Getting 2nd in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For writing 15609 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Cake, etc. etc. Since it's inevitable, this is for the million that I got. I am a Writing Staff! :D

Also, you've done well for my niggaz writing this shit! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

The Pope

ae2rhl8.jpg

Really good game, I didn't care much for the ending.

The ability to redo choices after you fucked up is a really good mechanic, especially since most people (like me) would just save scum and do that anyway so this is just cutting out the middle man. That being said, I often felt like too many dialogue choices weren't clear from the snippet of text provided, a problem I see often in games where you can select dialogue. Still, a really great teen drama that has time travel involved, but I feel like while the mindfuck near the end was executed great, the final choice felt dumb. It reminds me very much of Mass Effect 3, where the game acts like all of your choices matter, only to go "surprise, pick an ending lol". At least in this case the endings are different, but there is no happy ending; both are downers, it just depends on which one will make you less depressed. And I dunno, while the game did deal with some real shit (especially suicide), I felt like your choices should've allowed a happy ending, or at least a happier ending. It's like, I do everything right, make everyone happy, and nope, things are fucked up no matter what. And yes I get that the game calls you out that you're just making everyone happy to make them like you, which...in a sense is true; usually in games if we pick the "better" option to make someone happier, it's so that they'll help us out in the future. It's just the way we expect games to play out. So while I guess it was smart to call that out, it did suck that the ending was going to be a downer no matter what you did throughout the game.

While I wish the time travel powers were explained, the game wasn't really about that; it was about the life of this girl and the people around her. Until, you know, the ending. But spoilers.

I still definitely recommend it for fans of story-based games, just don't be surprised if the ending pulls the rug from under your feet.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

The Pope

8Te07Ea.png

Part of the reason why I want to clear out my backlog is so I can be along for the ride when games like this come out, rather than playing catch-up half a decade later.

Still, a really solid adventure game, with a parent-child connection that has rarely worked as well in any other game.

Spoiler

I never actually looked up that Lee dies, but seeing how the promotional material for Seasons 2 and 3 have only Clementine and no Lee, it was pretty easy to suss it out. Again, another reason why playing these games 5 years later kinda stinks, but I guess I have no one to blame but me for that. All the more reason to finish flushing my backlog.

I was unfortunately spoiled on Clementine's delivery of "I can do it, I can", it was used in some video talking about good voice delivery, I think a Jimquisition but I can't for the life of me find the exact video. That being said, even though I knew it was coming, I still got damned choked up. I didn't openly weep, but I was tearing up as I had Clementine put a bullet in Lee's head.

That being said, while the game does have some genuine comedy, there were a few bits of unintentional humor that I felt. One was Brie's death; I don't remember the exact setup, but she was just like "Well we can't just all sit around and do nothin'!" and then suddenly arms burst through the window and fucking gore her, and I dunno, the delivery of the scene just had me bursting out laughing. Then you've got the reveal of the main antagonist, which made me just go "What?!" I mean once you see how unhinged this guy is I guess it makes sense that he'd stalk you across the country, but considering how much hell it took for your group to get to Savannah, how in the fuck did he manage to match your pace without the train without getting mauled by five billion zombies? It's ludicrously silly, but I guess it teeters just on the edge of acceptability.

Still, good stuff. Added the remaining seasons to my Steam wishlist; they're super low priority, but they're something I'd like to get to at some point.

Next time on "Pope clears his damn Steam backlog before old age takes him back to the weeds", I'm probably gonna try to knock out INSIDE and SUPERHOT, since both are apparently only like 4 hours long. After that, probably Dead Space and/or Jet Set Radio, which are both also short. And then I'll mostly be stuck with long-ass games, so...yay me.

The Pope

wGbaIdq.png

SUPERHOT IS THE MOST INNOVATIVE SHOOTER I'VE PLAYED IN YEARS!

But really, it's a pretty decent game. It gets old somewhat quick, but the game's not that long, so it doesn't really overstate its welcome. Basically feels like a turn-based first person shooter, with way more tactics than something like Fallout. I recommend it, just don't be expecting it to be the best thing since canned bread.

The Pope

header.jpg

Unfortunately I got spoiled on the H word thanks to Dunkster's Top 10 of 2016, but it' only really thanks to that same video that I decided to play the game, so eh, watcha gonna do.

A lot of great moments of suspense "what the fuck is that". Less Resident Evil, more Lovecraftian. Not sure if it's worth the $20 asking price since it only takes about 4 hours to beat, but a really cool experience I'd recommend to fans of puzzle platformers and/or surreal horror.

Just be warned that while it doesn't get too bloody, it does get...squicky.