TheOneManBoxOffice

Last game you've beaten

1,035 replies to this topic

TheOneManBoxOffice

WoTZqaO.png

FINALLY beat both Ages and Seasons, and yes, I linked both games and was able to face Ganon. I also got all heart containers for this game.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! You can haz award now For being a runner-up in the Draw Your Favorite YTP Character contest! For participating in Chew or Treat 2017! For staying strike free for 5 years. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017
User with Best Signatures 2018
Best Writer 2018 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

TheOneManBoxOffice

EveQ3xj.png

Got all seven rainbow drops (the sixth one was the most difficult), and beat Dark Matter. In other words, I got the true ending to this thing, with only 27 lives remaining.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! You can haz award now For being a runner-up in the Draw Your Favorite YTP Character contest! For participating in Chew or Treat 2017! For staying strike free for 5 years. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

Best Writer 2018 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Goro Majima

zcw542K.jpg

I just beat this game on my GTX 1070 gaming PC rig. I've done this many times before, but makes this last playthrough I just finished special is I finished it on the highest difficulty setting, known as Über. Let me tell you YouChew fellas, this difficulty was no fucking joke. I spent hours on a single alone usually just to clear it, and the final boss battle, Wilhelm Strasse AKA Deathshead? That was a fucking monster of a final boss battle, especially on this difficulty. I spent hours and hours on his first form alone, I spent most of the morning and a portion of the afternoon on it. I just came back and finished his second form now in the evening and got the nice rewarding achievement for having completed the game on Über difficulty. That'll be a nice relic in my Steam achievement case just to show I did it and I fucking survived. What a ride this was, I highly recommend this game and the entire series to anyone who enjoys first person shooters, action games, and some interesting alternate history and a compelling story. It's sequel, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, which came out only last year is fantastic too, I'll have to complete that on it's highest difficulty, Mein Leiben, too. Hell Wolfenstein: The Old Blood, the prequel to the game I just beat, should be worth playing again on Über as well. I fucking adore this series and can't wait to see more of MachineGames' finest art.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

CrazyJoeDavola

mega_man_7_box_art.jpg

The Wily battle has to be the hardest in any classic Mega Man game, and and 10. I almost wanted Mega Man to break Asimov's laws at the end. 

Now onto X, which I've been wanting to try out ever since giving up on 8

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos February 2013 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

The Pope

oblUcot.jpg

Sh2QRfK.jpg

It's funny; I distinctly recall being pretty "meh" on the original Dishonored, but...I dunno, something just clicked with me here. Like, I felt like I had a lot more options to play non-lethally, though it helped that I totally cheesed it with quick-saving. Had I not done that, I'd have probably torn my hair out. But yeah, I dug it.

Playing through 2 now, then I'll be playing Death of the Outsider. Hoping I can get those done by the end of this weekend, since the new Hearthstone expansion comes out next Tuesday and my attention will be completely consumed.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

StockReady

Everyone Is Old 4: Guns of the Patriots

A good game, but a mixed bag in some areas. I love the depth of the gameplay mechanics and the possibilities given to the player, but I feel that the story-to-gameplay ratio doesn't let the me fully enjoy them. The controls feel good, allowing many types of movement and there are plenty of weapons to choose from. Sneaking around was exciting thanks to these and the improved camouflage system. Setting some of the missions on actual battlefields was great, showing the chaos and destruction of war up close and bringing a change from the previous games. It's a bummer there are only a couple of them because I like the idea of the reputation system, having the militias view Snake as an ally if he provides assistance in battle. The mechanic goes away too fast, though I may have rushed through those areas. There was some nice variation on mission objectives, for example having to follow someone on the streets turned out to be fun.

One minor thing I didn't like is changing Snake's weapon after cutscenes: don't give me an assault rifle if I've spent the whole game tranquilizing people, agh! I also had a similar issue with some action sequences where I'm expected to blast enemies with machine guns, like in MGS3. Then again, the difficulty was low so I could have just tried to pump them up with tranquilizers because I didn't feel like I was in any serious danger. The Drebin's shop system was fine but I did get a lot of points which I didn't need. I played on Liquid Easy difficulty.

The game's tone is very somber, which I understand considering what Snake, other characters and the whole world is going through. I came across much less humor than what the previous games made me expect, unless I missed it. It could have been subtle or hidden. There are moments like a character suffering violent diarrhea during a shootout, which just made the whole scene feel rather bizarre. Likely intentionally. What I miss is Codec banter between characters; there are only two contacts and calling them usually makes them repeat what they've already said.

The boss fights were good, once again I had those enjoyable moments of realizing how to defeat them. I don't think the presentation of the B&B Corps worked in the characters' favor, though. Before engaging them the player isn't given much information of them besides some introductory cutscenes and maybe some Codec discussions. The previous bosses had more personality to them.

Spoiler

I feel that this could make it difficult for the player to care about their traumas: after they've been defeated, Drebin rings up to tell Snake their tragic backstories. While the Beauties screaming and hallucinating after battle does tell something about their horrifying past, Drebin's stories felt like telling and not showing. It does have its advantages like allowing the player imagine the horrors themselves and placing a quiet, sorrowful scene after an intense battle. It also kind of strengthens Drebin's characters as a mysterious trickster who knows a lot, revealing the player just enough information. I guess I'll say the B&B Corps could have been developed better.

I must say, the moment when Laughing Octopus's suit came off and she started just slowly walking towards me, with frightened Otacon warning me, was genuinely scary. I didn't expect that at all and just kept backing up shooting tranquilizer bullets at her. Maybe I'll never find out what happens if you let any of them touch you. Reminded me a bit of the scary parts in MGS3.

The cutscenes are long but I was already prepared for that, on a first playthrough when the story is (mostly) new and I have more interest in seeing how things play out they don't feel impossibly long. I do wish I hadn't spoiled some of the twists beforehand, which I've done with a lot of games. When will I learn? The structure of the game has its issues like I mentioned, meaning short gameplay sequences are scattered around long story sequences. Still not sure what to think about big twists being revealed just before the end, after the main conflict has been resolved. They're a bit ridiculous, yet don't ruin the story or anything. Some of the nostalgic moments worked fine and some didn't feel as fresh (like the references to how the game messes with the player in MGS1).

While playing I couldn't help but feel like something was missing from the story and atmosphere, which might be the lighthearted humor I mentioned earlier. But even with that, the final moments of the game were emotional for me.

Spoiler

Meryl marrying Johnny and reconciling with Campbell, Rose telling the truth to Jack and introducing their son and Otacon staying on Snake's side until the latter dies. I enjoyed the plots of the previous games a lot but I was surprised to tear up playing this one. God dammit *sniff* Kojima.

The graphics are beautiful and the soundtrack has some fantastic tunes (like the title screen music). Overall, even with its flaws I'm very satisfied to see the story come to its conclusion.

I knew this was going to be a long post, I spent way too much time writing it.

For staying warn free for 9 years Boihood For staying strike free for 7 years. 2015 Contest - John Metravolta Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos October 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 13 videos

Cornflakes

Ratchet And Clank (PS4)

DjtLkG8U0AEu44Y.jpg:large

100% it too!

For getting 90 5-star ratings Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and brush in the morning For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards PIZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 5 years. For collecting all the silver cards Eyelashes! Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

The Pope

Dishonored-2.jpg

Good game, but like the first (and a lot of stealth games to be honest) it falters near the end and loses its charm. I think part of it is that by late game with all these supernatural powers I want to feel like a god, able to manipulate the environment and all in it to my whims, but instead I'm still running around for dear life against two or three enemies. Also the fact that there was no way to perform any kind of stealth takedown on Clockwork Soldiers, it...it sucks, it just flat out sucks. Also, there needed to be some kind of fire-shooting ability; aside from a generic offense attack, there were way too many Bloodflies for the game's own good. Like I honestly think the bloodflies are a cooler and way creepier concept than the rat plague/weepers in the first game (plus high chaos spawning them actually makes a lot more sense since they brood in corpses), but too often I was running around looking for flammable bottles or incendiary bolts to use on them.

Oh, and the final boss is dumb. This is an issue with a lot of stealth games, where they go "play how you want! be stealthy or be aggressive! oh but the final boss is just a big fight so if you were going for a stealth build, oops lol". Human Revolution did that too, and it sucked there.

Sounds like I'm just dogging on the game, but Emily's powerset is pretty cool. Far Reach is basically just Blink (though I prefer being able to stop time and aim mid-air which you can't do with Far Reach) and Doppelganger is unfortunately useless in non-lethal plays other than just as a mediocre distraction who will screw up your detection (if her "assassination" perk could instead be used for takedowns that'd be different), but Shadow Walk, Mesmerize and especially Domino are super cool. I do wish one of Shadow Walk's perks was complete invisibility though, since I'd love to just prey at night and stalk at night and poke people in the eyes with my shadow fingers.

On to Death of the Outsider.

Thanks for participating in the Faces of Evil / Wand of Gamelon dub! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

The Pope

O8JgF8q.jpg

Hey, so you know how in the first game, the Outsider was implied to actually just be the avatar of this massive eldritch horror whale leviathan elder god monstrosity?

Nah, he's just a guy.

I forgot to comment on this in regards to 2, but the recasted VA for the Outsider did 2 no favors, and with him being a big focus here, that only makes things worse. Someone who was this eerie, confident Mephistopheles-like figure in the first game is basically reduced to some preening hipster kid who just sits down and raps with you for a few minutes. Like, this is shallow and pedantic I know, but just compare the poses of how he's presented.

In the first game he hovers over you, like a god come down on high. In the second game he's...there. He's just there.

That aside, man, for every step this game takes forward, it takes two steps back. The weapons are cool, or at least they have some cool potential. You have your electric darts (basically sleep darts), standard crossbow, most of the same stuff, except now there are mines that can operate at range and drag people towards them, as well as a marble you can chuck at peoples' heads. I feel like the latter had a lot of untapped potential and I wanted to just be popping fools left and right, Katakuri-style, baby. Instead, even at full charge it doesn't go that far or fast, meaning in most cases it's better to still just perform a takedown. Speaking of which, the Deus Ex games have multiple-person takedowns; why couldn't that be an option here as some kind of upgrade for when two people are walking down a hall together?

So while the weapons are pretty good, the powers suuuuuck. Holy fuckballs are they bad. You only get four, they can't be upgraded, and one of them is a passive that just lets you talk to rats so they can give you information on the level, basically the same thing the Heart does in 1 and 2. Wooh fucking hoo. So you only have 3 powers then: a teleport, a "scouting" ability that lets you see ahead and mark people to see their field of view, and an ability that lets you disguise as an enemy. Oh, but it's on a time limit. And it has to be used on a conscious person, and doing so knocks them out. And if the original person is found, you're immediately discovered. And if you do anything remotely suspicious, you're immediately discovered. Oh, and the teleport is fucking bizarre. Rather than a standard short hop like in the last two games, you use it once to place a marker of where you'll teleport, and then again to perform said teleportation. If you're just trying to go from place to place, especially performing any midair stunts, this is unbearably bad. It doesn't help that the range on it is fucking trash unless you use the scouting ability to set up your destination first, and even that's not that much better.

Oh, and this isn't even DLC to 2, yet the UI, engine, ever single thing is pulled from 2. It's laughable that they made this its own game when it was clearly intended as 2 DLC but Bethesda realized they could make more money selling it as a standalone.

I don't hate this game, but man was it a slog. 5 missions, 2 of which are in the same area and two of which are in tiny little areas that don't amount to much. The villains that you have to take out are pretty much non-characters, faceless entities that you're only fighting because they're your mission objective. The stage that's shared between two stages is massive, which wouldn't be so bad except the game doesn't provide any kind of good map, meaning I constantly got lost trying to get from place to place.

Blegh.

It's so weird that I'm acting nostalgic for the first game, when back then I didn't love it that much. It also has severe problems, namely that a nonlethal run has pretty much no good tools.

Overall, this series is a tragic tale of great worldbuilding and fantastic ideas used to make games that are...okay. Not bad. Not great. Just...okay. And man is that frustrating.

TheOneManBoxOffice

h88ATt4.png
The Definitive Edition, played on my Alienware via Steam.

Cop Lv. 10
Triad Lv. 9
Got all statues and legendary outfits. I'll do the DLC later.

TheOneManBoxOffice

JmBlxmg.png

PC version via Steam.

Goodbye Di Ravello. Hello, Sandbox Mode.

Cornflakes

Image result for god of war 3

Beat it on Chaos Mode (very hard). God Of War 2 is my favorite in the series but 3 is still fun as hell even it if is somewhat shorter, didn't have the Cod Of War costume or any goofy costume (wtf man) and made Kratos a completely unlikeable prick. I mean yeah Kratos was a shitbag to begin with but forcing an imprisoned princess to hold a heavy lever that ends up breaking her spine and killing a dude who only wants to protect his daughter then fuck his wife made him go beyond "ow the edge". 

For getting 90 5-star ratings Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and Brush in the morning and brush in the morning For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards PIZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 5 years. For collecting all the silver cards Eyelashes! Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For spending all your Chewbucks on children's card games For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Phil Collins. Oh and I like to request the Robo-Racquet award for completing 5 multi-way tennis way matches. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Thanks for the donation! Have the fun! Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Completed Matches: 10 It's yours, my friend Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For participating in 10 successful collabs. For 5 completed matches. August 2012 - "FRED FUCKSTONE IS AT IT AGAIN!!" (Brain rape/Rape-core) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

zoc

share_icon.jpg

Excellent stuff. Gonna write a more detailed synopsis in the main Mario thread but long story short, it's a very enjoyable game and probably the most creative platformer I've ever played. Probably tied with 64 as my favorite Mario platformer now.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

The Pope

veprWRi.jpg

xxpy3xc.jpg

Despite what the images imply, neither one was anime.

Adequate DLC, but I've come to learn that I very rarely enjoy DLC from single player games, especially progression-driven games like RPGs. The problem is that you spend 30-so hours in the main game building up your character, then once you get to the DLC it's like, you either spend the full DLC as a god, you get reset back to zero, or you're reset to zero and you can distribute a certain amount of skill points. System Rift went with the third option, A Criminal Past went with the second.

Anyway, while I still enjoy this world and the stealth gameplay, I feel like Mankind Divided definitely aged far worse than Human Revolution did. Human Revolution is a buggy mess but in a Skyrim-like endearing way. Mankind Divided is functional (for the most part; the "upgraded" cover system is a fucking ass disaster), but it just has barely any of the charm of Human Revolution.

I dunno if I should be hoping for another game where they "get it right", or if I should just tell everyone to play Human Revolution. Probably the latter.

TheOneManBoxOffice

MbWmNv0.png

One down. Several more to go.

The Pope

tfr427q.jpg

Overall I enjoyed the game, and it's arguably Supergiant's best (and Bastion and Transistor are no slouches). But I have a few beefs.

It's meant to be played with a controller, not a mouse and keyboard, and really that's on me more than anything. To anyone interested, either get it on console or have a controller on standby.

Anyway, the rite gameplay is really cool, didn't get boring until the very end, so it didn't overstay its welcome. My beef is with the pacing, which is pretty bad. The first half of the game has way to much padding between the actual combat. And I don't mean dialogue or story stuff, I'm cool with that; I'm talking having to constantly click my destination despite it being the only option, selecting "Do you want treasure or experience??" over and over and over again, it's just a mess. Every time a fight would end I'd get bored and drift off and be like "can we get back to the rites already". Then you get to the second half, where it's nothing but rites, and that's when they start to get boring. I kinda feel like they could've trimmed this down to a consistently solid 6 hour game rather than a 13 hour game where a good lot of that is spent doing repeated busywork.

Regardless, music's good (which is expected from Supergiant), hand-drawn animation is great (ditto), story's pretty solid (a little too lore-heavy for me but those interested in that kind of thing have a lot to dig into). I definitely recommend it, just...have a controller, and try to get through the shaky pacing.