• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
bob

Binding of Isaac: Rethread

What is your favorite boss encounter released in Rebirth?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite boss encounter released in Rebirth?

• Gurglings
    • Dingle
    • The Haunt
    • Mega Maw
    • Mega Fatty
    • Polycephalus
    • Dark One
    • The Cage
    • The Gate
    • The Adversary
    • Mama Gurdy
    • Mr. Fred
    • The Lamb
    • Mega Satan
    • Angel Gabriel/Uriel

624 replies to this topic

TyrannosaurusReich   
TyrannosaurusReich

Are you for real

Duuuuude, Samson is piss easy, I'm fucking shit at the game and most of my runs with him have been either successful or had me get up to the Womb at the very least. It's not like you HAVE to take damage anyway, just being patient in the early game and avoiding most (if not all) damage can pay off. Once you get tankier, you can become a killing machine.

Really, all Samson needs to dominate a run is health and/or defense and a decent tear rate, and he can rip through enemies like a mom's knife through her son butter. I mean, shit, you could basically argue the same for any character other than Lost, Keeper, and maybe Azazel.

Even without a high rate of fire, though, Samson can still be a beast if played right. The damage boost he can get is insane. He makes Judas and Eve look like....an actual real-life child, by comparison. Just being tanky is usually enough for Samson.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

Samson thrives on red hearts, Eve on soul hearts, that's pretty much the gist. The ideal Active Item for Samson is IV Bag, with something like Bloody Penny as a trinket it's an easy win. Besides that getting items that benefit you from taking damage like Gimpy, The Virus, and Maw of the Void are very helpful, and just plain get stacked on health. Samson is pretty easy I think, Eve can be really annoying to get momentum on, it's important to scrounge up soul hearts from marked rocks and shops so you can enter the Whore state as early as possible, the added buff of Razor Blade makes her a lot more manageable, with invincibility you can spam it and get a ton of damage for certain rooms. And I wish Dead Bird wasn't completely brain dead, why can't the AI be like Smart Fly, the item that actually does a damn good job of targeting enemies?

Speaking of Active Items, I think I like them more than most Passive Items in Afterbirth+. Void is really cool, it's a little finicky and clashes with my quicker playstyle, but when it works it's a lot of fun, it does invalidate D6 so I wouldn't rank it in my all time favorites, converting shit passives into random stat upgrades is quite useful, so much Luck. Crooked Penny presents a nice all or nothing mechanic, you can potentially get a lot of good shit as it's the only thing in the game that can multiply item pedestals more than once. D1 isn't super exiting but it gives you a way to always have a certain pickup, as long as you drop it in an empty room. D Infinity is pretty damn wild as it can give you a two room charge D100, is that powercreep or what? You had to suffer with The Lost to get D100, but then here it is in another form. Trinket Smelter is a welcome addition. The one item I've been using a lot recently is Compost, one that I underrated at first, it totally beats Guppy's Head and Jar of Flies in fly production, unlike the former it gets exponentially stronger with more batteries and it takes batteries unlike the latter. It doesn't need much for it to start snowballing into Guppy levels of flies, it might be a little too good in most cases. 

There's still some really neat Passives in the DLC like Jacob's Ladder, Sinus Infection, Eye of Belial, and Compound Fracture, but I think the Active Items stole the show this time around.

Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

G ☆   
G ☆

I typically ignore Compost just because there are so many other actives that I really wouldn't want to swap out in favor of it if I had it. That's the problem with a lot of actives, most usually exist for the sole purpose of filling an empty active slot until you can (hopefully) come across a better one, and even if you get ahold of Void, the extra recharge time might spoil the convenience of the item entirely, like with Red Candle.

User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

With Active Items you take whatever the game gives you generally, unless you're Isaac, Apollyon, Eve and maybe Judas you'll always be shopping around for an top tier item when really most of them aren't bad. Playing Eden showed me most actives have their utility in many situations, only a few of them are in literal The Poop tier and it doesn't hurt to explore potential synergies. Sure, I'd love to always have Blank Card or Satanic Bible or whatever if I'm playing to win, but after a while it gets a little too samey if you're always searching for the same five items. People might raise their expectations too much on actives since they know what the good ones are, but half the time you'll have something just mediocre.

Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

TyrannosaurusReich   
TyrannosaurusReich
9 hours ago, SushieBoy said:

Samson thrives on red hearts, Eve on soul hearts, that's pretty much the gist.

Not really. I mean, sure, you can play Samson "the old fashioned way" and just really on red hearts, but he can be just as effective if you rely on soul hearts. All you need is a reliable source of soul and/or black hearts like Devil Bum or Serpent's Kiss and you're good to go.

I think that's one of the reasons I love Samson so much. He's so damn versatile. If you just wanna take it easy with him, you can, and you'll do fine as long as you don't completely suck at that game (like i do), but if you're willing to take risks, it can really pay off if you play your cards right.

Eve, yeah, he/she/they pretty much do rely on soul hearts to be at their most effective. She's designed to be a high risk/high reward type character, which is fine of course, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to go with the flow, you know what I mean? Samson's gameplay lets you pretty much play him however you want, or however the run is going in terms of items. Eve is the kind of character where you need to get Devil Deals and plenty of soul hearts in order to succeed.

god i just, love samson so much

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

Is that how the hud looks on 3DS? Weird, I'm too used to the map, item tracker, and missing hud all crowding one screen.

Whelt   
Whelt

Yep, I do enjoy not having a ton of clutter on the main screen. All you see there is health and lives.

I'm gonna have to get used to seeing everything on one screen again when I have the Switch version.

Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

TyrannosaurusReich   
TyrannosaurusReich

I never found Isaac's HUD to be cluttered at all, honestly. Except maybe those unnecessary animations when you activate an item like Betrayal or Necronomicon

G ☆   
G ☆

The problem with Eve is that she's difficult to get off the ground at first when her entire strategy is based around keeping her red heart count as low as possible. With Judas, at least he's strong right out of the gate and doesn't suffer from picking up more red hearts, and while The Lost is also frail, his flight, spectral tears, and ability to take free Devil Deals still makes him pretty flexible for the first couple floors. With Eve, you have to both find Devil Deals frequently and have some way of stacking up extra soul hearts so you can keep your Devil Deals going and always have Whore of Bablyon active. Really, the only thing bumping initially bumping her above Blue Baby is Razor Blade so you can get rid of useless red hearts that you could save for later Devil Deals. Not that she's overall on the same tier as Blue Baby, but her reliance on certain items makes her a very niche character.

User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

I like how I said Samson is easy earlier but I died on Caves I in today's daily run. Anyone else play it? Got Razor Blade and Cambion Conception in the first devil deal, which would've been amazing for my boy. On the next floor I got Guppy's Collar from a red chest then immediately got warped to the devil deal from another chest which had Guppy's Head. The Guppy chance was too tempting and took it which put me at 1HP and no soul hearts, I had to squeeze in between spikes to reach it and I stabbed my toe and died on the way out, I'm a good player, and the collar didn't activate when you need it like fucking usual :(

Being able to walk diagonally between spikes consistently is an art, it's so hard to do in one motion and I always stop when I'm inside and I mess up.

edit: I'm practicing the run now and THERE WAS LIKE FOUR SOUL HEARTS ON THE FLOOR I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW OF AND BOX OF SPIDERS IN THE ITEM ROOM RE-ROLLS INTO GIMPY AAAAUGH. Did I just fuck up the easiest Samson run?

VGFM   
VGFM

I think you did because I just got the achievement for winning five dailies in a row and that Samson seed was one of them.

Also despite my earlier whining I've actually been having some fun with farming the greed machine because I decided to just go with the blank card/2 of diamonds method.  Unfortunately the hourglass exploit has been patched but I still managed to get 2 or 3 hundred coins donated over the course of 3 runs.

I really wish Greed Mode had alternate ending paths and more variety because I initially liked it more than the main game but unlocking everything in it gets really tedious, whereas playing the main game always feels different and original each time (except Azazel because hardly any items change up his play style).

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

G ☆   
G ☆

Another thing I wish was fixed in Greed mode is Greedier having a separate achievement pool from normal Greed mode. My first day on the DLC I thought I'd be knocking out 2 birds with one stone by starting Greedier with Apollyon only to learn that killing Ultra Greedier apparently only unlocks Black Rune and Brown Nugget is only unlocked by clearing standard Greed Mode. 

Also, the fuck is up with Apollyon's unlock pool? He unlocks 3 actives, 1 rune, and 5 of the laziest trinkets to be added since...most of the original Rebirth trinkets? Would it really be that hard to think up 5 separate passives for him to unlock rather than 5 trinkets with the exact same premise?

Akaru The Yoshi   
Akaru The Yoshi

I'm actually thinking of buying the Switch version of Afterbirth+ when it comes out. I already have the Steam version, but I like the thought of having a version of the game that I can play wherever I want without having to drag my laptop around. Of course, I'd need to actually find a Switch first, and it doesn't look like that'll be happening anytime soon unless I get incredibly lucky.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Whelt   
Whelt

It's too bad the 3DS version never got the expansions. I think it plays quite well on the 3DS despite a few hiccups.

Switch version was unfortunately delayed, but not for too long. It's no longer a launch title, but is still releasing in March.

Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

VGFM   
VGFM

Ok Delirium's not just broken, his AI is straight up unfinished.  He can teleport to your position and it is 100% impossible to dodge even if you're constantly strafing him. I just had a Lost run where my DPS was so ridiculous that I stomped Hush in seconds, and I had dead cat, and yet Delirium defeated me 9 times in a row by teleporting to my position instantly as soon as his health got low.  At best he's a crapshoot and the only sure-fire way to beat him is with a very tanky build or one that literally makes you invincible (like gnawed leaf or kamikaze+pyromaniac).

Also another thing that's unfinished about him is that his AI doesn't reset whenever you respawn. One reason I died so many times was because he immediately went into his "teleport all over the room" berserk phase on my subsequent attempts. On my first attempt i got about 3 quarters of his life down just from his first form, and on subsequent attempts I rarely got that far again.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SushieBoy   
SushieBoy

Yeah Delirium is really stupid, all of the new bosses are pretty infuriating but Delirium is straight up unfair. I used an Algiz rune to beat him as The Lost and I literally flooded the room with coins as Keeper with Swallowed Penny, Head of the Keeper and Cricket's Body, Algiz is probably your best shot as The Lost. I can't make heads or tails of what the patterns are, the whole fight is just "nothing personnel kid". Ultra Greedier is also really annoying, I had to use Plan C to beat him as The Lost after I lost Holy Mantle like ten seconds into the second phase.

G ☆   
G ☆

Delirium's a fucking nightmare to fight as The Lost, yeah. Your best bet is Book Of Shadows + The Battery, Empty Vessel, and maybe a spare Algiz rune (or 2 if you have Starter Deck/Deep Pockets/Polydactyl), and even that's only going to last you so long without a hefty offense. It doesn't help that your reward is practically a worse Algiz, which has to be the biggest "fuck you" for beating a final boss since having Keeper start with a penny for killing Hush.

TyrannosaurusReich   
TyrannosaurusReich

Delirium is especially bad when he turns into Krampus. That fucking laser barrage is damn near unavoidable because it's so fast.

you know i just realized how weird that sounds out of context

VGFM   
VGFM

I totally scammed Delirium this morning. I was playing Azazel and had a gnawed leaf+orbital build so I just sat there and let him commit slow suicide on my face, but that wasn't the end of it. Along the way I picked up Lazarus' rags and the glowing hourglass, so I restarted the fight after getting Azazel's completion mark and blew myself up so that I'd get the Delirium mark for Lazarus as well.  A fitting revenge for that Lost run, I'd say.