bob

Binding of Isaac: Rethread

What is your favorite boss encounter released in Rebirth?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite boss encounter released in Rebirth?

• Gurglings
    • Dingle
    • The Haunt
    • Mega Maw
    • Mega Fatty
    • Polycephalus
    • Dark One
    • The Cage
    • The Gate
    • The Adversary
    • Mama Gurdy
    • Mr. Fred
    • The Lamb
    • Mega Satan
    • Angel Gabriel/Uriel

659 replies to this topic

Whelt

I think the Switch version has two booster packs so far? I'm hoping they will continue the updates to keep it on par, especially if the last pack is going to have balance fixes.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

VGFM

I think the Switch has gotten the first 3.  So far the PC version has had 4, and I'm guessing the 4th will be bundled with the final pack on consoles once the latter is released on PC.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SushieBoy

Okay, I don't mean to turn this thread into my rant section, but sometimes I screw myself over and it's not even the game's fault. I missed Boss Rush on today's daily by a second, not EVEN a second. It was an Isaac run with good items, but it's easy to get yourself sidetracked by the minutiae of the D6 and other nonsense. My speed was below starting for most of the run because of Small Rock, and there were no speed upgrades besides Speed Ball in the first floor, which I re-rolled. I had two Emperor cards which I used to skip most of the Depths, made it to mom with 20 seconds to spare, beat her with 10 seconds left and I get the accursed Devil Deal, I got GREEDY and decided to check it and there were those disappearing enemies inside and by the time I killed them I had a second left on the clock, and I couldn't leave the room fast enough because of my low speed.

LY4TAYBh.jpg

I was so upset, what can I say, I did it to myself that time, but STILL. One FUCKING second. The time limit meta is yet another layer on dailies, you have to be fast enough to do all of the things, but you also have to take your time and explore, find potential advantages to get ahead of the curve. This particular situation has happened to me so many times in daily challenges. I have cut it so close to making Boss Rush and had to make a choice between checking the Devil Deal or forgoing it, but you don't know if there's gonna be Krampus or enemies like Mom hands in there which can take precious time, the allure of powerful items is too much to resist sometimes. Basically didn't even make it to top 500 today, FUCK, sorry. I'll forget about it tomorrow, though.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

Whelt

I still haven't fucking unlocked most of the character's starting items FUCK

I mean to be fair this is like my FOURTH Isaac file. Counting the original version on Steam, Rebirth on Steam, Rebirth on 3DS, and now Afterbirth+ on Switch.

I'm not sure what it is, but I often have really great luck with Eve. Maybe she just suits my play style.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

VGFM

So it sounds like this will be the biggest booster, since the first pack had 9 items and that was the largest one so far.

There's also speculation that this booster could include a new character, since each character has 12 items unlocked from their completion marks, and those items tend to follow a theme.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

VGFM

A new character is seeming more likely at this point.  I really hope it's not just "The Lost, but harder!"

G ☆

I'm going to be an optimist and say that Ed's just dicking around with mods to troll people.

Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Sentence mix-core) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Classic) The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

SushieBoy

Hey woah next booster pack out

Gonna get home soon to break it wide open.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

SushieBoy

Alright I've been playing lots of Isaac lately, gonna download some experiences/thoughts about the latest booster, new character spoilers for those who care:

Spoiler

I absolutely love The Forgotten, he's a ton of fun. At first I was a little iffy about his melee and ranged bone attack, the former felt strong and satisfying, but the ranged attack is like a shitty Mom's Knife, with 1/10th of the damage at half the tear rate. In my first winning run I got through the Chest path, Mega Satan, and Delirium. On the very next run I discovered the ability to separate into the blue ghost character, and I was floored. I genuinely had no idea of the second character until I got a Trinket I wanted to drop. Being able to change between two characters in real time each with their own synergies/HP/abilities ect makes this the most dense and complex character in the game so far.

There are so many little situational details to keep in mind, like simply transforming into the ghost to open Boss challenge doors, fly over gaps, enter curse rooms, and even take Devil Deals on the cheap. And of course there's the bone character, he kicks ass, the amount of care they put into handcrafting all the different synergies and interactions for his bone really is remarkable. I was filled with glee and wonder when I first picked up Polyphemus, it made my bone massive with a huge hitbox, complete with screen shaking and a new sound effect for the swing. There are lots of other compatible things, Epic Fetus makes like a reticle aimed Ipecac, Mom's Knife gives you a scythe, Cursed Eye gives you a rapid fire melee swing. Every discovery has been a joy!!

The new character is not the only thing added, there's also new items, enemies, bosses, but the real surprise is the amount of gameplay/graphical tweaks and polish on so many things. There are too many to mention, but I definitely notice the difference. Just walking into a room with Abaddon and IMMEDIATELY noticing the sprite is slightly different shows how obsessed I am with Isaac. I love Divorce Papers, Rotten Penny is a beautiful trinket, I love the new charge bars and golden bomb sound effect, Bone hearts are a great addition to the meta. Overall I am very satisfied with this booster. I know Edmund can't let Isaac go and even without him it may continue, did this booster address issues like item bloat? No, but if this was the swan song for Rebirth I'd be totally content, let me be FREE from this game once and for all.

Oh and Greed Mode and Delirium and Dailies still suck though.

WALLMAN

Who'd you unlock it with? I read that Azazel works well with the first level, but the real hard part is making it through to the end without getting stomped to death. Not much I can do until someone inevitably makes a Workshop mod to make the unlock easier.

Spoiler

Also, this is a real game that comes out this summer

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Metroid: Samus Returns early Aeion tank Metroid: Samus Returns complete For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 284 days before it was shut down Posting after Dopply For third place in the Harrison Ford Trivia Contest! Congratulations!

VGFM
10 minutes ago, WALLMAN said:

Who'd you unlock it with? I read that Azazel works well with the first level, but the real hard part is making it through to the end without getting stomped to death. Not much I can do until someone inevitably makes a Workshop mod to make the unlock easier.

You could always restart on the first room until you get pyromaniac.  Either that or you could enable mods and use the debug menu to give you mom's shovel in the dark room.

SushieBoy

Besides lucky Eden starts or first item rooms the only character who can consistently do the first floor objective is Azazel. I just toughed it out, kept doing runs until I got used to playing with the feet chasing me, it becomes more or less a normal run after Boss Rush, if that helps.

WALLMAN
13 minutes ago, SushieBoy said:

it becomes more or less a normal run after Boss Rush, if that helps.

I figured as much. Resetting for pyromaniac is out of the question with how big the item pool has got, so I'll just keep trying and save the debug menu for a last resort

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Metroid: Samus Returns early Aeion tank Metroid: Samus Returns complete For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 284 days before it was shut down Posting after Dopply For third place in the Harrison Ford Trivia Contest! Congratulations!

WALLMAN

The next day...

Spoiler

5T79KRD.jpg

Coulda been in the next room for all I know. Still a good run, though. Not giving up anytime soon.

VGFM

Don't feel too bad.  Even though the feet are the hardest part, the rest of the run isn't easy either since Boss Rush can leave you with too few hearts to tackle the dark room.  On my successful run I almost died several times in the Dark Room and was only saved because I picked up placenta earlier and waited until all my health regened before I'd move to another room.  In fact I think I did die once and almost rage-quitted until I realized I had picked up an extra life along the way.

Also I'm not sure but I think the game is programmed to put the plot of dirt in a room that's right next to the room that leads to the Lamb, so that might narrow your search a bit in future runs.

WALLMAN

I'm just happy to make it that far. Plus, I unlocked Angelic Prism during Boss Rush, so it wasn't a total waste. Can you get to Dark Room by digging through Sheol? I know you can skip It Lives, but I didn't want to risk ruining the run by digging where I shouldn't have.

Spoiler

jfc Nicalis Inc. is going nuts with all these crossovers

SushieBoy

Shovel don't work on Sheol/Cathedral, the only ways you can access the Dark Room/Chest is by touching the chest while holding the correct photo, sacrifice room, and oddly enough I have gotten a trapdoor on Sheol after hitting a button that actually worked as Dark Room access.

WALLMAN

It took three trips to the Dark Room, but I made it. By the third boss rush, Mom was stomping through enemies without me even thinking about it. It also helped that I didn't run into any Dark ones or Adversaries. Those bastards ruined my first two runs.

All I have left is the Keeper, and boy have I been neglecting Greed Mode. I had 100-something coins before my last run with Eden. I saved up after finding the unstoppable combo of Gnawed Leaf + 7 Seals + BFF and popped another 99 in there.

Extrenor

So i got a run with Quad shot, Cricket's Body AND Cricket's Head.

Died at the sheol because of not having the wafer

Spoiler

FUCK

(Also, Seed is PLAYSTATION NON + ONLY... sorry :c)