• Announcements

• Joosh

YouChews the Winners Now Open!   04/16/2018

This year's YouChews the Winners awards is now open! Details can be found here:   Voting can be done here: http://youchew.net/index.php?/youchews-the-winners
Mashu

Game Development

207 replies to this topic

Mashu

Video games. Making them. You know the drill.

So for about a year now I've had a ton of ideas about making a first-person horror adventure game with the atmosphere of early Silent Hill games, the gameplay of Gone Home (and a little Amnesia), and the setting similar to House of Leaves. I've dabbed with Unity before (as can be seen by my totally wonderfully complete youchew-hosted game dev blog) but have never taken a serious shot into anything. Last night, though, I decided to try my hand at making a floor plan of the first level of it and came up with this:

H94iYgv.png

I'm surprised with how easily it all came out. Like I guess all those ideas I've had have sorta accumulated and spilled out into an astoundingly complete diagram of what I want the game to be. This makes me genuinely excited; I feel like something could actually come out of this, which is awesome.

I've also looked into plans for the (far) future, and a commercialized first-person adventure game spanning about 3 1/2 hours with quality graphics and assets would cost about $5000 to make. Obviously I don't have the money for something like that, so I'd probably have to resort to kickstarter or something. At the very minimum the entire project would cost about $100 (entire cost being the fee to enter it into Steam Greenlight), but I couldn't sell it and I'd have to use shitty free assets.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

RedLuigi

I've been wanting to get into game design and development for some time now but I'm incredibly lazy and don't have any real direction on what exactly I want to do. I'm still kicking myself for not getting RPG Maker when it was in the Humble Bundle.

Has anyone here took classes on game design or programming or some such? How helpful would you say they are?

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaaayo! *Robotnik music* You've GOT a little penis... Strrrriiiike free. For Lucky Lottery.

Whelt

I used to be interested in designing games as a kid. I even made a bunch of amateur ones in Stagecast Creator, which was kind of like a tool that helps kids learn the basics of programming and create simple games. Think of it like an early version of Scratch. Speaking of Scratch.

http://scratch.mit.edu/

It's a nice tool if you're an absolute beginner at programming and want to learn the basic concepts.

Anyway I'm not particularly interested in making games anymore. Maybe if some divine idea strikes me I'll give it a go, but I don't have any right now.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Arti!

Would creating MUGEN characters fall under this?

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Daya

I guess it would be better if the thread was about not only game development, but also modding and, as arti suggested, custom content.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

IdEas

I want to remix one of Zone's flash games.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Spooky Poop 2015 Best Musician 2015
Best Musician 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! FIVE! That's FIVE matches! February 2014 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Dieathan

Me and a couple of University students are planning to put together a simple bowling game later this semester as a project.

We've already got the whole thing planned out, but we're still debating on the possibilities of how the ball's direction will be controlled. We were thinking either have a horizontal bar determine the ball's trajectory, or to have a simple arrow that shows it. Really, we want to be able to put it together in a way that seems possible given how much time we have to work on it, and what we know about programming in C++ and OpenGL.

For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For getting all the standard ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For staying strike free for 5 years. The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Vertyx
  • Banned
  • Developing games is interesting.

I'm working on an RPG Maker project right now that I've posted some gifs of in the General Video Game Thread, it's this RPG kind of title where you divorce your wife so you have to pay her alimony. You obtain money through various ways like skinning dogs, assassinating people, infiltrating companies to steal and sell their data, sabotage, Dinosaur racing, gambling, beating up people, and so forth.

I also have an idea for a hacking game that I really want to make and I already got a programmer who is willing to work on it with me.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

MrDjThompson

I'm working on a on RPG in the vein of Zelda and the early Final Fantasy games. Development hasn't gone forward lately but i'll still work on it. I plan it to be on Steam on Download for PC and also on Consoles soon. 

I used to be interested in designing games as a kid. I even made a bunch of amateur ones in Stagecast Creator, which was kind of like a tool that helps kids learn the basics of programming and create simple games. Think of it like an early version of Scratch. Speaking of Scratch.

http://scratch.mit.edu/

It's a nice tool if you're an absolute beginner at programming and want to learn the basic concepts.

Anyway I'm not particularly interested in making games anymore. Maybe if some divine idea strikes me I'll give it a go, but I don't have any right now.

I have tried the Scratch Engine and even formed a company called Infinity Scratch. I later ignored it for the RPG Maker XP and the new game i'm working on. And by the way, The game is called Requiem and I formed a new company called Infinity Equinox. Heres the YouTube channel to see some stuff of it (NO VIDEOS YET):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjbSf1GBjKvmjZfP8ulNNg

For staying strike free for 1 year. For completing Sonic CD during The Sonic Adventure 2 Challenge. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos September 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Mari

Similar to Mugen (sort of), would making silly games through pre-built MMF engines count? Because I've been having a lot of fun with that Sonic Worlds engine.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For clearing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 41 5-star ratings on your videos For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For meeting Fiddlesticks411 and Badluckcrow Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years if I were a wealthy man Runner up, E3 2012 Bingo event Congratulations! For placing first in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 727,777 Chewbucks! October 2011 - WHAT IS A BOB ROSS October 2011 FIFTY! Twenty-Five five Thanks for being good for so long! For service. Ribbit! Thanks for the cookies!

AGSMA

I'm the biggest dunce when it comes to programing. I pretty much stay at the artistic side of a project.

I myself have plenty of ideas for video games- Currently I'm working on a dadaist game based on the World of Goo engine. While designing levels is easy, creating brand new balls is a completely different story, there's never a new character which feels complete without any warnings from the ball editor.

Other idea I had for a freeware PC is a top-down run n' gun shooter with the likes of Commando and Jackal combined. Not much information I can give because I'm still in the concept art of it. Either GameMaker or Construct are solid choices to build the game.

An idea for a mod would be a Source Engine version of Looney Tunes: Space Race because why not? Playing though those tracks in high definition and with smooth draw distances would be amazing, not to mention playing online with friends a regular race or any of the Acme Events.

Last but not least, a much more serious game which relies on ecology and the theory of evolution, where the player is the god of his own island or arquipelago and hee can manage it to either harm or contribute to the wildlife and flora's progress. This one will obviously take a lot of people to work with and after a lot of thinking modeling all wildlife and plant life would require a lot of learning about procedural generation.

For being part of the six-way tie for 2nd Place in the 2017 Ghostly Art Contest! Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

Arti!

I make MUGEN characters so there's that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwtSTSKuiSY

DOWN (the glitchy Jojo's Bizarre Adventure character) is mine. A friend of mine made Alter Amiba. Someone else did the AI for both (I think it's the same person in both cases, but I may be wrong)

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Mashu

H94iYgv.png

Pjpr5fs.png

First floor (minus optional rooms and, clearly, details and doors) is done! Once you get used to it, Unity is pretty easy to use; this only took about two hours to casually put together. The more I work on this, the more excited and happy I get, because I realize that maybe the game of my dreams can really be made.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

YamiMario

I've made a couple of simple games over the past two years, using Stencyl. One is a platformer, the other is a shoot 'em up.

Other than that, I've attempted to make Mario World hacks countless times, and the project I worked the most on was one trying to change it into a Megaman game, and I did release a demo of that... And then a couple of German people LP'd it.

It's hilarious to watch people play something I made, especially since I don't understand (most) of him!

I was working on a game in Construct 2 with a Mario Bros. 2 like grab/throw mechanic during the summer, but I ended up shelving it because I was being too ambitious, and I wasn't having fun working on it, so I'm taking a break from game development at the moment.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Best Artist 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 33 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 33 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 213 days before it was shut down

Whelt

I got a good laugh out of the level intro just saying "MAN." Looks like a pretty decent hack though.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

YamiMario

Haha, thanks! It was fun to make at the time, and quite a few people helped me with sprites and music over at SMW Central. In particular, a guy called Jimmy52905 ported some Mega Man music for me (that I never got to use properly though sadly), but he later made some pretty outstanding ports and original pieces of music.

It's fun to return to SMW hacking once in a while, even if I never actually complete a hack, it's fun to mess with all the custom content that people have made over the years.

Also, Unity seems to have become more 2D friendly over the last year or so, I'm re-downloading it to check it out. Maybe I should finally learn how to work in it.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Best Artist 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 33 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 33 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 213 days before it was shut down

RAKninja

i'll just post this:

iqd-party1st_zps8b3ec17a.png

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

StockReady

I don't know anything about programming but I've come up with ideas for characters, environments and gameplay. I often think about designing a cinematic platformer.

Boihood For staying strike free for 7 years. 2015 Contest - John Metravolta Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos October 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 13 videos

Markie

Tried to make a sidescrolling platformer and a fighting game in Construct2. The latter genre is incredibly hard to code.

Metroid Fusion complete Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For meeting randomcontributor! For getting 20 awards Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. For staying warn free for 9 years Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For getting 3rd place in the Spooky Poop Contest 2015 Spooky Poop 2015 Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 42 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos February 2013 - "a glass of guava juice" (YTPMV) Well done my good man April 2012 - Overall, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 286 days before it was shut down

AKADarkie

Convenient this thread shows up now. This semester, I may actually end up getting a class project published. But pretty much everything, including what I'll be working on and what language or engine it will be made in is completely up in the air at the time of writing. But I'll stick around. Maybe I can make something happen for once.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 11047 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo event! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 39 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 230 days before it was shut down SaS