Mashu

Game Development

207 replies to this topic

Daya

I've been working on this Quake singleplayer map since early July and it's only yesterday I finally fixed all the problems. The only thing I need now are beta testers for better items/monster placements.

1409129778-1.png

1409129786-2.png

1409129788-3.png

1409129786-4.png

And yes, that's totally TF2's GravelPit.

I'd also like to talk about the map editor I'm using, TrenchBroom. It's fairly recent, but powerful, and it's getting more and more popular. A second iteration is in the works, with better tools and support for other games like Quake 2 and Source games if the guy can get the help needed (as it's been said, Hammer is obsolete compared to Trenchbroom).

To illustrate its power, the span of those two images were done under 30 minutes:

tb2_1.jpg

tb2_2.jpg

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Emperor Ing

i'll just post this:

iqd-party1st_zps8b3ec17a.png

This looks promising.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

RAKninja

i'll just post this:

iqd-party1st_zps8b3ec17a.png

This looks promising.

you should look into my thread at the hub then ;D
Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

Mashu

Sorry if I've been posting a lot on this thread, but I've spent the past week on making the first room of the game and have so far came up with this:

KwuqA6N.jpg

All made with free-to-use-for-commercialization assets and software found online.

I think I can do this.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

MrDjThompson

This thread hasn't had a post in a few weeks. Let's finally see a post for once.

Anyway, Requiem's development has been well and I'm almost done with one of the maps. Also, I've also been working an RPG on the PS3. The same people who made the engine also made a version called RPG Maker 3 for the PS2, but it was ported to the PS3. I started work on this game today and I'm still working on Requiem. I'm not revealing any info on the game but it'll be finished around 2015. I also might be renaming the company as well.

For staying strike free for 1 year. For completing Sonic CD during The Sonic Adventure 2 Challenge. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos September 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

Mashu

Also, I've also been working an RPG on the PS3.

I'd really be careful with that considering a legitimate PS3 devkit costs over $10,000. Much easier said than done.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Life

Holy shit Mashu, nice work. Keep it up, I'll happily buy your game if you see it through.

I've had a few ideas for games myself, but I've never been motivated enough to actually learn how to make them. Maybe someday.

Wads of dosh Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

MrDjThompson

Also, I've also been working an RPG on the PS3.

I'd really be careful with that considering a legitimate PS3 devkit costs over $10,000. Much easier said than done.

This game is completely different form the other one. This is on an old engine but will be in 3D world. I wish I did get a devkit and be in mass production and sold on stores across the world (or USA) but i'm just a kid who makes YTP's and makes/plays video games (YES.. i'm a kid if your wondering)

For staying strike free for 1 year. For completing Sonic CD during The Sonic Adventure 2 Challenge. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos September 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

smbmaster9

I've made a few games. The tool I use is Game Maker (previously versions 7 and 8.0. I'm currently experimenting in Studio) My first completed game was a brutally difficult and borderline unfair fangame I called Super difficult Mario Bros back when I was 15 or 14. Beware: that link takes you to my poor reception of criticism and my terrible spelling and grammar habits :P

My second project was one based off another person's OCs, which I removed from online when he contacted me :P

My fourth project (I'll go on to 3 in a second) was Super Mario Bros:Odyssey Ch. 1, which to this day is my best and favorite project to have worked on. Here's a trailer I made for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8RY3n9ssE

I began the project 2.5 years before the first entry was complete, partially cuz I had planned for the entire series to be on massive fangame similar to how SMAS was 4 Mario games in one cart. I realized how ambitious the idea was and split it up. It's on hiatus now, but I'm thinking when I pick it up I'll just make it a big fangame with lots of content to enjoy and not really be connected to the first entry, but use ideas I had for the series.

My third project was/is a more original game using my own characters. When I first started, it was more of a Zelda tribute/fangame. I put it on hiatus about 3 or 4 years ago and have been thinking of picking it up again maybe soon. It's much much more original now and I've even got some designs/redesigns done:

NGfJ9C7.png

I also have a .rtf on my desktop full of ideas I've brainstormed, as well as locations, character bios, and stuff.

I plan one day to move to Unity 3D and try my hand at 3d things.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Lucario Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years July 2013 - "YTP I.M. Meen Almost Drops the Book Upon Realizing His Funko Pony Preorder Was Cancelled After It's Arrival" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

AKADarkie

Update, more than a month later: 

The game I'm working on is deck builder-meets-turn based strategy, and will be a 2D Unity title. Right now, the conceptual stuff is pretty much near completion, although a paper prototype and design document have yet to be started. Given that we're about 5 weeks into this, I thought we'd be farther along. But given that I'm not in charge of shit like coding or art, there isn't too much I can do, aside from offer backup assistance for the rest of the group.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 11047 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo event! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 39 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 230 days before it was shut down SaS

Daya

Alright, I need help on this one:

I'm doing right now a 2D platformer puzzle that mixes Mario 64's extensive moveset-style and Myst for the puzzles and overall environment.

Thing is, I have a hard time wrapping my head around how to solve puzzles and going around in an environment where you have to use your moveset. I know I want the player to explore/observe the environment to get clues, but to use the moveset alongside a level design that sometimes demands to use said moveset seems tricky to picture.

Maybe using said moveset to go around the level like you walking around an Age in Myst, and have the puzzles toning down the demand for the moveset, as well as having some puzzles demanding to use the moveset?

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Vertyx
  • Banned
  • Play Donkey Kong on the Gameboy. It's a puzzle game with an extensive moveset.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

AKADarkie

Was wondering if this thread would pop up on the first page of this forum again.

At this point, unless development on my current project extends past this semester, it will be another stillbirth project. At this point, no playable version of the game exists, so we may not even get that far (I'm not in charge of coding, personally, but I've more or less had a hand in everything else). Sucks, but that's life. Still expecting to get something produced within the year, however.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 11047 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo event! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 39 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 230 days before it was shut down SaS

NAveryW

I mentioned a while ago in the general gaming thread I was considering making a game for commercial sale. I'm working on not the game I proposed at the time, but something I both think would be more fun to make and would probably be easier to convince more people to buy. A 3D comedy adventure game with shooty-based combat. I tend to get tired of projects and fall off working on them once I've finished the most imaginative aspects and just have drudge work left, so I'm trying to plan as little of this in advance and only come up with each area beyond the bare bones when it's time to put that area in.

It's interesting to me how I feel I have to think differently when making something I'd be asking people to pay money for. I have to think more about what people might be annoyed by, can't just do stuff so much for my own amusement that might be frustrating to other players. For example, I wanted to make the currency used in the game something interesting and different, and eventually I decided I like the idea that when you beat enemies they drop tokens for this Chuck E. Cheese type place, then you use the tokens to play arcade games and win tickets to get items instead of buying items with tokens directly. But I figure there may be a lot of people who'd find that tedious, they'd just want to get on with the main adventure instead of repeatedly having to stop progress to play different games, so I almost did away with that idea despite really liking it myself. Instead I decided there should be a shady character who will trade you tickets for tokens outright, one ticket per token, so you still get an advantage by playing the games but it's not necessary.

Currently I'm considering how to best implement your first task in the game. You play an exterminatrix, and you're called into Peter Pizzly's Pizzle Hizzle (pronounced "peetzle heetzle") to stave off its spider infestation (accomplished through shooty combat, of course), and at the same time collect misplaced film reels of Peter Pizzly in the Nebula 500. The first thing I'm wondering about is, although what makes the most sense to me the way I'm planning this is you need to kill all the spiders to progress, I'm thinking about games in which killing or collecting all of various things has been very frustrating. "Where is that last one? I guess I have to backtrack... Nope, I'm all the way back at the beginning, still couldn't find it, I guess I have to go back through again..." I can implement a tracker, but is it better to avoid that sort of game mechanic altogether?

One idea I love precisely for the reason that might put players off: You collect a film reel of Peter Pizzly in the Nebula 500, and that part of the movie starts to play over a portion of the screen while you're also still in combat. You've got this inane, stupid no-effort kids' movie playing and partly obscuring your view while you're also being attacked by spiders. Then I imagine, like, as you collect more reels, it gets more obtrusive, with the video window eventually bouncing around the screen. The concept makes me laugh to imagine it, but it is at the players' expense and these are the same players I'd rely on to talk about the game positively if I want it to sell.

Any feedback?

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus You watched Masketta Phantasmagoria with Benedetto and Dark Fox. For staying warn free for 9 years For getting 90 5-star ratings Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for having 111 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Thrashblade Oelkers Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best YouTube Pooper 2014 Getting 1st in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013, Best Artist 2014, Member with Funniest Posts 2014
Best YouTube Pooper 2016 2013
Best YouTube Pooper 2015

User with Funniest Avatars 2016 April 2013 - "walrusguy where do u get the censorship beep sound effect" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down He has contributed some articles Interviewed. For winning lucky lottery.

MrDjThompson

I thinking to stop development on Requiem for a little bit (maybe even cancel it) and focus on a new RPG called Wrath of Pyro.

The gameplay is going to be similar to the proposed Legend of Zelda gameplay style for Requiem but it's going to be a Dungeon-game so it's linear but has an open-world vibe towards it. The story isn't thrown in right in the beginning but as you go into the 8 dungeons, the story gets clearer and more easier to understand than the beginning and also get complicated. Weapons and Armor are incredibly hard to find in these dungeons so you need to walk around the dungeons but they're so many enemies that spawn around that it can be a little difficult to get them.

I planned to release the game in 2015 for Steam and then Consoles/Mobile later. I still need a new name for my company. 

Mashu

I've kind of stalled on working on Gray Snow for a while, but recently I've done some work primarily with lightmapping.

hu6NO9g.png

TzH1ELm.jpg

It's not perfect, and there's still some stuff to work out, but it's definitely a start. Also Unity Free doesn't support antialiasing, so that's part of why it looks so bad.

Also, I redid the hallway I showed earlier:

6d8ShOT.jpg

It's not quite as dark, but I think it looks better.

MrDjThompson

Damn... this looks even better then what I thought.

Anyway, Wrath of Pyro has been going very well. I finished the first out of 8 dungeons and I got the title screen finalized. I'm trying to get more out soon and I have a tentative release date of Q4 2015 or Q1 2016. Development is slow right now but i'll back on the game soon. I'm thinking of plans of changing the gameplay but it's not final. I also started a RPGMaker page of the game a few weeks ago if anyone wants to look more indepth on the game. 

V1ZmSXe.png

C1V3Ij2.png

I7RPgJ4.png

RPGMaker Page:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/36479-wrath-of-pyro/

BerixMaster2010

I would like to learn how to make mods or even entire games with old FPS engines like the Doom engine or the Build engine from, but I'm not entirely sure on what kind of tools I would need for something like that.

Can any Doom WAD-makers or people similar tell me what tools they find work best for them?

For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Harrison Ford Trivia