• Announcements

• Joosh

YouChews the Winners Now Open!   04/16/2018

This year's YouChews the Winners awards is now open! Details can be found here:   Voting can be done here: http://youchew.net/index.php?/youchews-the-winners
Mashu

Game Development

207 replies to this topic

Mashu

Alright, this is gonna be the last post I make in this thread for a while, since I know I'm probably being annoying with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRAFa02v6_o

But yeah, it's a quick development demo of Gray Snow. It's really, really early in development, so obviously a lot of what you see is unpolished, including placeholder models and textures and the like. Either way, this should hopefully give a decent look at the 'atmospheric' vibe I'm striving for in the game.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Cantfly

Impressive stuff dude. Keep up the good work!

Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

Whelt

So you're doing this in Unity? It's pretty cool so far. Maybe I should start trying to make games...

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Whelt

I want to try making games at some point. I'm pretty sure I could acquire the technical skills, since I am employed as a developer and all, but I don't have any real experience outside of things like Flash and specific game making programs.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Vir

When I was younger, I tried to make a Mega Man Battle Network fangame that would sort of be the Liberation Missions from Battle Network 5 adapted into a full game. It was planned to have different modes such as a campaign mode and an arcade mode where you can play with Navis and maps you've unlocked, and a store where you can spend Zenny you've earned on maps, Navis and Battle Chips. It was ultimately shelved because too much shit kept happening to the hard drives that the Game Maker file was stored on (I have the most recent build on my last computer's hard drive, but I don't feel like swapping it with my current one).

I've had quite a few ideas for games since I was in high school, my most prominent one being an adaptation of my science fantasy series that is separated into eras akin to the Mega Man games: the first era would have no particular gimmick, the second would be open-world, the third would have its main draw be the ability to combine a class archetype with an elemental affinity or creature motif, and the fourth would take place in space and let you travel between planets Ratchet & Clank-style. My other concept is for a series with gameplay similar to a cross between BioShock, inFAMOUS and Saints Row IV, where you can select 1 of 4 sets of superpowers and an additional 3 in the sequel. The other main feature would be a morality system determined by which of the two enemy factions you fight more; if you fight group A more than group B you'll become lawful, if you fight group B more than group A you'll become chaotic, if you fight both equally you'll be balanced. The balance ending is the only "right" ending, since in the lawful ending you become a dictator and in the chaotic ending you'll become an anarchist, while in the balance ending you become a true hero by not being corrupted by your own ideals.

For staying strike free for 7 years. I'M A SUGAR DADDY That's a lot of love! It's a little itchy. For collecting all the bronze cards User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Vertyx
  • Banned
  • I'm making a game. Right now. It'll be rad.

Expect to see some footage soon. Or in a year.

S8g1Gak.png

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Daya

Just so all of you knows, Unreal Engine 4 is free (until your revenue from a game surpasses a certain limit, where you have to give 10% to Epic), Unity 5 just came out and has most of its payable content free ( but without Customizable Splash Screen, Unity Cloud Build Pro, Unity Analytics Pro, Team License ,Prioritized bug handling, Game Performance Reporting, Beta access but that doesn't involve core game creation) and the upcoming Source2 will be free for game creators.

Cheers!

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

wotersond

Yeah we're getting to the point where anyone will be able to make their own game as long as they have a good enough computer. Meaning games have the level of creative freedom literature, and sequential art have today.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Avatars 2014 Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

smbmaster9

Please excuse the horrible quality :c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZqqY6WzLBA

Copy/paste from video description:

This is my current project - a Pokemon RPG that stars Riolu/Lucario c: This is still a massive WIP, so some things you see here may need some straightening out.

This has been modified from a basic Zelda engine to save time and ported to GMStudio from GM8.

+I added collisions for Lucario to bump into but not push against
    +added 8-directional facing from the original 4-directional facing
    +modified the weather system to make it change in real-time (they can even start while you're indoors, but I didn't show any indoor portions in this video)

+added diagonal collisions and made it so Lucario can push against and jump down them (sometimes he slides around though when pushing against diagonal walls, so that still needs to be fixed)

+added some eye candy for when Lucario walks through thick grass
    +it runs at 60 FPS instead of 30 like it did in the base engine (this may not really seem like much, but more than just the speed/friction/collision values needed to be changed to make this work XP)

There's still a lot to be done, but I felt enough was working to merit showing a quick preview. I already have two possible titles for the game decided on (I guess writing the full story down before starting on the game can be useful, right? =P ), but I'll need to choose between them at some point xP I'll reveal more about the game's story and all that as development goes on.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Lucario Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years July 2013 - "YTP I.M. Meen Almost Drops the Book Upon Realizing His Funko Pony Preorder Was Cancelled After It's Arrival" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

smbmaster9

Forgive the double post (and bump on top of it all xP) but I have some more footage of me derping around in the engine of my Pokemon project:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Rvw6YYrgs

For staying strike free for 5 years. Lucario Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years July 2013 - "YTP I.M. Meen Almost Drops the Book Upon Realizing His Funko Pony Preorder Was Cancelled After It's Arrival" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Daya

Alright, I need some help here:

In Construct 2 I'm trying to make a classic castlevania game, particularely a remake-from-the-ground-up of Castlevania Adventure 2: Belmont's Revenge with gameplay enhancements from Castlevania Bloodlines, and I have the hardest time trying to make that classic jump where the player's air velocity is stuck if he holds left/right before pressing jump.

I have the simple static jump figured out and I can face left/right while doing so, but doign the same thing for forward jumps is impossible to figure. As for now the player can't jump forward, he just does the static jump as if he's not moving before jumping.

Here's the event sheet:

6h8bj4.png

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Mashu

I've been working on a bit of a side project lately. It's not a very large one (if anything, it's probably going to end up being a two-or-so minute video that I'll put on my portfolio or something), but it's something that I've always wanted to see be done. I'm not gonna reveal too much since I want it to be a surprise.

31ez8F9.png

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Bros., Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64 during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. January 2015 - "CDI '06" (YTPMV) For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years With an iron fist Press start to begin For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Thanks for the donation For your piece on Kraven Manor, all I can say is good job. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year June 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

smbmaster9

I'm gonna hyper bump this thread with a video I recorded yesterday of me showing off some stuff:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVqMkBH5VI0

zoc

I've been extensively working on a project in RPG Maker VX Ace for over a week.

Right now, it's kinda like a mix of Final Fantasy 6, Breaking Bad and Black Lagoon. I have an entire outline in conjunction that I'm using along with it to keep things consistent and flowing nicely. A lot of work, of course, but I'm very proud of what I've done thus far, and I'm not going to slow down for a while.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

smbmaster9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sCduFmHmJU

More stuff from my Pokemon RPG

Mashu

So I decided to be a dumb butt and started participating in a game jam (specifically the Unreal Engine July Game Jam). The theme for it is simply "rocket and roll", and I've came up with a neato concept for it. Basically, you control a ball with turrets strapped to the side, and you can move and spin around to take out as many baddies as possible. Your main weapon, however, is a rocket launcher embedded into the ball, which you can use to propel yourself into the air and shoot your opponents from the air. The challenge involved with this is timing yourself so that the ball (and rocket launcher) are pointed in right direction. To help you with this, you can use bullet time to slow down time, though this is based around a regenerating energy bar so you can't overuse it.

But yeah, the jam's due in three days. Right now I don't have anything particularly cool or shiny to show since I mostly worked on logic today. I highly doubt I'll win (or even come close to winning), but hey, at least it's a good way for me to stretch my arms into new and unique game mechanics and such. And it's fun!

Daya

You guys might wanna check out The Game Career Guide, with lots of tips on how to make games and build an indie game studio. I haven't red all of it but it seems promising.

Vertyx
  • Banned
  • So I figure ROM hacks count as game development too, right? Here's mine.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Snes

I've been working on a game with my friend and sister for a good while now. It's gonna be a vertically scrolling spaceship shooter, but  basically your ship has no guns so you can't shoot. Instead you have a sort of energy beam/sword that can deflect enemy fire so the focus of the game is on countering, timing and dodging instead of just shooting, dodging and surviving like most shooters. You have a left slash and a right slash, but you cant use both at the same time. I'm really excited about it. I've been mapping out the flow of the game, and working out how the game will tell a story without any words, and how each level/section will feel. My friend is doing most of the coding work, and he's making a level editor for it, which once that's done I'm gonna start working on level design in my free time. My sister is doing the art and it's looking good so far. 

For staying warn free for 9 years Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 148 days before it was shut down