bob

General Video Game Chat Rising: Revengeance

13,633 posts in this topic

It's not impossible to find an okay game made via RPGMaker, you just can't really bank on it, considering literally 9.5 out of 10 games released via steam that run on the RPGMaker engine are really, really bad.  It's literally the video game equivalent of selfpublishing, sort of.  Crafting a story meant to be portrayed and told through the medium of a video game is a difficult enough challenge, let alone when it comes to being an RPG.  Few people have the proper respect for that, considering how much of the "Development" process that RPGMaker lays out for you.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

at least they have more of a story and gameplay than world of asscrap......................................

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

46 minutes ago, TyrannosaurusReich said:

at least they have more of a story and gameplay than world of asscrap......................................

What about EverCrack?

For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 donation_award_notes For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos September 2014 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years drugamin, MrTomato26, and ComputerGuy6545 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

What about Shit: Online?

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting 20 awards For completing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 2 during the community challenge event. August 2014 - "Seductive Haz Been" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, Member with Funniest Posts 2014, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Funniest Avatars.
User with Funniest Avatars 2014 March 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 246 days before it was shut down Da I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR! Ten. Five. 100% pink man For servicing all of us. Ribbit fuckin' Ribbit! For giving me a treat. Purr.

Sail in the morning! Get back in a month or your sociopath daughter will wonder why you haven't written back to her! Supports 4 player co op and Xbox controllers. Rated M for MMMM 

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

21 hours ago, JimPaladin said:

It's not impossible to find an okay game made via RPGMaker, you just can't really bank on it, considering literally 9.5 out of 10 games released via steam that run on the RPGMaker engine are really, really bad.  It's literally the video game equivalent of selfpublishing, sort of.  Crafting a story meant to be portrayed and told through the medium of a video game is a difficult enough challenge, let alone when it comes to being an RPG.  Few people have the proper respect for that, considering how much of the "Development" process that RPGMaker lays out for you.

One of the few games made with RPGMaker XP that I heard was very well done was To The Moon. Hell, I have RPGMaker MV and I thought about making my own game at some point but some of the features I would love to code for it are out of my reach experience wise for the moment.

For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Many doors, yes? Richard Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

4 hours ago, SeductiveBaz said:

What about Shit: Online?

that's literally just world of warcraft, dude

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

If anyone has a guide to getting a C rating or higher in the jail map of Resident Evil 5 Mercenaries mode, I'd love to see it.

I keep dying or getting a low score since I have to run to avoid the jailer.

Well I beat Shantae Fat-Tittied Hero. It was okay. WayForward continues to just barely pass the bar on what I consider a quality game, if they tweaked a few things here and there, and made it a little bit longer it would be God damn amazing but gotta make it a nice roll of sushi or whatever. There's an increbile amount of talent at WayForward and I know if they put in the effort they could make some truly great stuff but for whatever reason even on their more ambitious projects they'd rather keep things feeling standard and same-y. As it stands I like Pirate's Curse much much more than this one because at least it had a story and didn't rely so heavily on backtracking. Pirate's Curse also removed transformations altogether and I kind of way prefered that? For 1/2 Genie they could have mapped certain transformations to a button rather than having to wait in the dance menu, and removed some entirely like the bat and spider forms which are only needed like, once.

Spoiler

e08DJzt.jpg

For staying strike free for 7 years. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaaayo! *Robotnik music* You've GOT a little penis... Strrrriiiike free. For Lucky Lottery.

It's hard to describe, but I guess I would say that WayForward excels at core gameplay and level design (and has some nice music), but is lacking everywhere else. Their games have really solid fundamentals but are never polished, and the presentation rarely ever gets better than a cheap Saturday morning cartoon.

On that note, they are also all over the place in tone, with lots of contrasting themes and character designs. Look at the recurring baron characters - Squid, Ammo, Techno, and Hypno - and tell me they're all from the same game. They all look like they belong in different franchises. There's no effort made to make Shantae's world feel at all convincing. I'm not even talking about story, either. A standard 2D Mario game with no story at least feels tonally consistent.

For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Y'all might not care about this game, but you need to see just how broken and poorly managed NBA 2K17 is. I mean it's good, but still broken as shit.

Us 2K players are currently praying for EA to save us from this glitch hell.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For getting 20 awards For collecting all the bronze cards For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Organizing and completing the Harkinian League Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For being a super teammate Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

2 hours ago, Whelt said:

It's hard to describe, but I guess I would say that WayForward excels at core gameplay and level design (and has some nice music), but is lacking everywhere else. Their games have really solid fundamentals but are never polished, and the presentation rarely ever gets better than a cheap Saturday morning cartoon.

I'd say level design the big area they're lacking in. All their games feel good to play, the physics are snappy and the controls are responsive, but their level design always leaves me wanting more. Even Pirate's Curse which I think is the best Shantae only starts to get really good near the very end of the game.

For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

They definitely took more of a Mega Man approach with HGH, with a stage select of linear levels that you end up revisiting with new abilities for collectibles. I have to say I like the dungeons of the previous games much more than this new style, as it always felt like Zelda translated into 2D (in a more faithful way than Zelda II, that is). And if I had to choose, I like Zelda more than Mega Man.

As for the best one, for me it's a tossup between the original and Pirate's Curse. Something the original has that the others lack is pure challenge, that game is fucking hard. Warps have to be earned, but otherwise you're gonna have to trek between towns through Castlevania-esque gauntlets of enemies and platforming. For that matter, it's the only game that actually has different towns. All the other ones act like Scuttle Town is the only one in the world. You also get a bunch of wacky martial arts moves if you buy them, which are kind of fun. The dungeons are on point, as I mentioned before. Then, Pirate's Curse is beautiful, and is easily the nicest looking Shantae game. It plays well, but I still kind of miss the connected world deal they had in the original and Risky's Revenge, and this is the first game that adopted a level select. It still has dungeons, which are good as always. The pirate gear is actually a lot of fun, and I agree with RedLuigi that it's more fun than transformations. Transformations are supposed to be Shantae's thing, but come on, I'm not playing a game with a half naked genie girl so I can see her turn into an elephant. Though I gotta say, the spider transformation in HGH is... not too bad...

For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Right now I am in the process of looking into used Wii hardware and accessories online so I can sell and replace my GameCube this year. Ideally, I'd like to find an original model Wii in black because my Gamecube is the same color and my brother has more or less claimed the Wii in our house as his own and I'd like to set myself apart from that one. At the moment I'm mulling over whether I should buy all of the parts individually (console, remote, nunchuck, etc) or bundled via eBay.

If I buy the parts from this one site I'm eyeing, it'l cost a little over $100. However, I saw this bundle on eBay that costs about $60 and would come with everything a single player would need to plug in and play. I also noticed the bundle comes with an HDMI adapter along with the standard composite cables. I remember reading in this thread that component cables are much better at producing a higher quality image than composite. Would they be preferable over an HDMI converter as well? I know the Wii natively doesn't produce anything highter than a 480i/480p image, I'm just curious. For the record, I only have a 19" HDTV set, as my intent is to put this entire setup in my bedroom.

For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

I don't see what benefit an HDMI converter would give to a Wii. Probably just upscales it. Component is the best picture you're going to get from a Wii. It will work all right on a typical HDTV.

Original model is a good choice, as the later models dropped GameCube support. Technically, through softmodding and with a controller adapter, you could still play GameCube ISOs on a later Wii model or even on Wii U, but the original Wii is less hassle.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016

I thought as much. If the Wii doesn't even produce images suitable for HD, then what's the point. Just wanted to reaffirm that.

It sucks, because the second models are much more common to find on sites like Amazon, whereas the first are absurdly priced (especially if it's a color other than white), and at that rate I'm better off saving up for the Switch or any other home console of this generation. I just need a machine that can play the entirety of my Gamecube library as well as the two Wii games that I do have.

Meh. I'll probably stick with the individually purchased route at this rate. Either way I'm using PayPal to cover it so my actual bank account is untouched lol

For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Bronze donation group For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Best Artist 2014, Best Artist 2015
Best Artist 2016 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 55 days before it was shut down For winning this year's Ford Trivia Event. Hooray!

If Nintendo ever dropped the price of the Wii U (and I'm really not sure why they never did), I'd say that would be the best option. Through homebrew, you get access to every Nintendo generation. I recently played Sunshine on my Wii U with a widescreen hack, it was pretty cool. As it is now, though, Wii U is kind of pricey.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016

14 hours ago, Whelt said:

I just felt that not having voice acting in every scene, or cutting it entirely would've faired much better. Having some text be voice acted and some not just feels inconsistent, and I'm hard-pressed to believe budget was the reason Shantae wasn't fully voice acted.

I'm hoping the Risky Boots DLC will change things up a bit, playing the courses with the Pirate's Curse powerups and possibly some level design changes sounds like a dream.

For collecting all the bronze cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group Spooky Poop 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For clearing Sonic 1 & 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos June 2013 - "Game Grumps Shirt Ads Prove Popular with Male Teenagers" (Regular) June 2013 - Overall, Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

We also have a WiiU in our household, which my brother also uses primarily. Aside from the occasional rounds of Smash (and even less frequent Super Mario Maker bouts), I barely even touch the thing lol. Whatever mild interest I had in the system died along with the WiiU itself. It kinda seems like a lost cause at this point, and I certainly don't feel like spending $60+ on exclusive WiiU titles to justify purchasing one. All eyes are on the Switch, and Nintendo seems to be following suit.

If you really want a Wii, just get a bundle. It'll save you the hassle of potentially losing the remote or nunchuk in the mail and causing you to get an incomplete set.

And do not get the Family Edition or Mini models, as those drop GameCube support.

For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 donation_award_notes For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos September 2014 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years drugamin, MrTomato26, and ComputerGuy6545 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year