bob

General Video Game Chat Rising: Revengeance

15,938 replies to this topic

Life
9 hours ago, zoc said:

So I started playing Gears of War and it's... eeeh. The gunplay's ok but the cover system is really clunky and the hit detection is kind of off. AI is really retarded too, my squad mates are on the ground half the time due to being reckless or not staying in cover so I end up having to kill all the Locusts in the area. The lack of minimap and concrete waypoint system is awkward as well. Story isn't really that interesting either. I'll try to stick with it a bit longer since I just started Act 2 but right now it feels like a bit of a slog. Would I miss out on anything important story-wise if I just skip ahead to 2 or 3?

The cover system in the original Gears sucks. I know there are people who prefer it but it's just way too finicky and "sticky" in a sense, you often find yourself glued to something longer than you want.

I don't like the original Gears much at all anyways. It's too brown and boring, RAAM and the berserker encounters are the only good parts, so unless you really want to play those you can just skip to 2; you can get the gist of 1's story from youtube cutscenes or the wiki's summary. The second's campaign is a lot better (the Hollow is a great setting) and features the two best antagonists in the series, and 3 has the best gameplay out of all of them and as a bonus got rid of the awful dirt spectrum.

The AI is permanently retarded though. Doesn't matter which one you play, they'll all roadie run sideways up to enemies and shoot at them point blank until bad guy falls down or they do. It's marginally better in 3 because they'll try to stack up with you near any cover you're using, but this comes with its own slew of problems of them wasting time every fight trying to remember how to use cover, or them cozying up next to you right as you're trying to dive away from a nade.

Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Erazor

My favorite experience with the AI in Gears 1 was the time Dom and  a Locust were sitting on opposite sides of the same cover, peeking both their heads up and staring each other right in the eyes. Neither of them did anything that whole fight.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Congratulations on finishing the first dungeon goddamnit. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years SKINNER Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

zoc
8 hours ago, Life said:

The cover system in the original Gears sucks. I know there are people who prefer it but it's just way too finicky and "sticky" in a sense, you often find yourself glued to something longer than you want.

I don't like the original Gears much at all anyways. It's too brown and boring, RAAM and the berserker encounters are the only good parts, so unless you really want to play those you can just skip to 2; you can get the gist of 1's story from youtube cutscenes or the wiki's summary. The second's campaign is a lot better (the Hollow is a great setting) and features the two best antagonists in the series, and 3 has the best gameplay out of all of them and as a bonus got rid of the awful dirt spectrum.

The AI is permanently retarded though. Doesn't matter which one you play, they'll all roadie run sideways up to enemies and shoot at them point blank until bad guy falls down or they do. It's marginally better in 3 because they'll try to stack up with you near any cover you're using, but this comes with its own slew of problems of them wasting time every fight trying to remember how to use cover, or them cozying up next to you right as you're trying to dive away from a nade.

Alright, I'll just skip to 2 then. Tried playing a bit more a bit ago and officially decided that i really wasnt feelin it. The fact that the visuals are so dull don't really help, yeah. Sucks that the AI doesn't improve though, but as long as the gameplay itself is more polished and smooth I can excuse it.

EDIT: Alright, currently at the final part of Act 2 in 2, can safely say it's MUCH better than the first. Story's a lot more interesting, everything's more polished and the colors are far more vibrant than before. Pretty much a direct improvement from the first in every way. I also love some of the new guns like the Mulcher, so fun to use.

Spoiler

also, rip Carmine and Tai :'c legit felt a little stunned when the latter died in particular, game did a good job of directing it

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Erazor

I still enjoy the first game, but it's weird to think back to it and realize that the Kryll, Nemecyst, Seeders, Beserkers, and Raam were really the only unique aspects to the gameplay. Well, those and that one fuck-awful vehicle segment at the end of chapter 2. It's also the only game in which the Hammerburst actually fires in bursts and has no form of sight or extended muzzle like it does in the sequels (though you can still double zoom with it curiously). It says a lot that I have to reach for very specific mechanics for individual guns to come up with something.

On the subject of the Kryll, we should all pay our respects to the many tragic deaths of AI Dom (and various locust) as he deliberately walked into the shadows and got eaten alive.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Congratulations on finishing the first dungeon goddamnit. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years SKINNER Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Maq

Man it sure would be cool to have an SNES, too bad all the best games for it cost $9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Also I kinda wanted to get a CRT TV or whatever you kids use to play older gen games... it would be nice to be able to hook it up in my basement maybe

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

zoc

Welp, beat GoW 2. Great stuff all-around. Now to play the foist Dead Rising (and maybe some No More Heroes, after playing Killer is Dead recently I've had an urge to play that game again)

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Ozarhok

Be sure to check out my boys Konasumi doing Road Trip Adventure, BlueM3tal doing Mega Man Legends, Crak_Atak doing Super Bomberman, and PvtCb doing JumpJet Rex.

EDIT: Nevermind, don't support this garbage event that profiles and ban people for no reason

ANOTHER EDIT: I've spoke to said people who were banned and they said they don't mind all that much so whatever

The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime early Ice Beam, Plasma Beam, and Power Bombs Metroid Fusion complete Super Metroid under 2 hours Metroid: Zero Mission 100% Metroid Prime 100% I chew chew chewse you! That's a lot of love!

For collecting all 45 unique candy hearts. *suggestive wave* EAT IT For getting 20 awards For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages during the community challenge. For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For staying strike free for 5 years. For winning the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For clearing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during the community challenge event. For clearing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award! Good work! Wow! For clearing Mario 1-3 & World during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 2015 Bingo For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. can fire in spurts Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Mmmmm...richer!

AGSMA

Inb4 Scalebound gets a Switch release.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

WeepinnWillow

Me dicking around with the PS4's game recorder

For getting 20 awards IMMA SUGAR DADDY HEART ON STICK MUST DIE For collecting all the bronze cards EYELASHES! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Thanks for the donation. For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos September 2014 - Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years drugamin, MrTomato26, and ComputerGuy6545 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Jayblin

First the Dreamcast I ordered online came in today and doesn't fucking work, and now Scalebound is cancelled. I just wanna play video games. Just wanna play video games.

For staying warn free for 9 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks for the donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013, Member with Funniest Posts 2015
Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

SeductiveBaz

Didn't the kid who sang that die? Man, nothing's going right for video games today.

Member with Funniest Posts 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years For getting 20 awards For completing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 2 during the community challenge event. August 2014 - "Seductive Haz Been" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, Member with Funniest Posts 2014, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Funniest Avatars.
User with Funniest Avatars 2014 March 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 246 days before it was shut down Da I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR! Ten. Five. 100% pink man For servicing all of us. Ribbit fuckin' Ribbit! For giving me a treat. Purr.

Fretless
9 minutes ago, SeductiveBaz said:

Didn't the kid who sang that die? Man, nothing's going right for video games today.

Oh my god, you weren't kidding.

I actually said I wondered where he was now when I was hanging out with my friends on New Year's Eve. I guess I got my answer.

Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 E3 Bingo 2015 "Best Artist" - 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. Getting 3rd in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest!

P-Dash

Wow, I certainly didn't expect Scalebound to get cancelled.

Let's hope nothing happens to Nier: Automata.

Super Metroid complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Prime 100% For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SuperYoshi

Call me out of the loop but this is honestly the first I've ever heard of Scalebound lol

Looked neat, though.  Shame.

Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down