bob

General Video Game Chat Rising: Revengeance

15,934 replies to this topic

Life

Yeah as much as I love smash I wouldn't love it anywhere near as much if all the characters were generic wireframes.

Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

P-Dash

GgGF1mp.png

I'd play Fighting Wire Frames Melee.

Super Metroid complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Prime 100% For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

zoc

If Im being honest I always found the wire frames in Melee lowkey creepy. They're not horrifying obviously but I always found it kind of unsettling how the male and female end ones moved around precisely like Cap. Falcon and Zelda(?) respectively and yet they just had this 2.5dish look to them alongside their fluid movement thanks to their designs that gave them an uncanny feeling. Lack of voices is the icing on the cake.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

kingplatypus

I bought Phantasy Star Universe on the 360 a couple days ago at GameStop for less than $10. It's... okay. I can only play single-player (even if I had Xbox Live, the servers are closed, so online multiplayer isn't an option), and while the gameplay is pretty solid, standard PSO fare, story cutscenes, character dialogue, and loading times are pretty damn intrusive. Not to mention the voice acting, which is pretty grating. I think I'll just stick to continuing PSOEp.I&II and Ep.III on GameCube.

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

JazzDanceForChildren

"Okay" is a pretty succinct description of PSU. It's pretty disappointing because PSU introduced some sorely needed improvements to fundamentals like character movement, but they pretty much forgot most of the elements that made PSO addictive to begin with. The game's entire loot economy and crafting system is basically garbage, but in hindsight PSO actually has a really great loot ecosystem for an old online RPG.

PSO2 is never getting localized, so at this point I think I'd rather just see an indie developer make an original game with very similar mechanics. I'm kind of surprised there aren't any already since PSO-style multiplayer would be way cheaper and easier to run and develop for than an MMO.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

P-Dash

So Cuphead sold over 1 million copies already. I guess it's pretty good.

Super Metroid complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Prime 100% For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Countsmegula

Well, I guess Rise of the Tomb Raider being one of the games was a sign things were looking pretty low.

For getting 20 awards Metroid: Samus Returns 100% For staying strike free for 5 years. That's a lot of love! Aww, thanks for inviting me over... and for not asking me to clean your room! I have to use a lifeline. For collecting all the silver cards. For collecting all the bronze cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group Spooky Poop 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For clearing Sonic 1 & 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos June 2013 - "Game Grumps Shirt Ads Prove Popular with Male Teenagers" (Regular) June 2013 - Overall, Sentence mix-core Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SushieBoy
On 10/11/2017 at 9:47 PM, appdirect said:

But Gameplay should be the main selling point everything else is just beans.

I agree with this. I didn't twist what you said, though I don't think it fully applies to a multiplayer game but instead games in general. A game should prioritize gameplay first, if the gameplay can't stand on it's own, then maybe it's not very good at all? I'm not saying to completely ignore presentation or match-making and connectivity for multiplayer games as that can greatly enhance an already solid game (Cuphead is a shining recent example), but the core gameplay should be the foundation you build off of, not an afterthought. See, I like a game-y game, I don't like tons of fluff and filler to make me spend more time on it or make me think I got my money's worth, if a game has a good story or whatever then cool, if it doesn't then I don't care, that's not what I'm looking for in games. Of course there are some stories the creators want to tell as a game, and some stories that could only be told in a game format, but it needs to be a fun gameplay experience before that.

Cuphead is an odd exception to this since in an attempt to add more pure gameplay in the form of the run and gun levels they became what some would call unwanted padding. I don't think they're amazing examples of platforming but they were competent enough, there are some decent ideas in there but I think the game would've been just fine without it. I felt no desire at all to revisit any of them after finally clearing them, though. I instead went back to try some of the bosses multiple times because they were a lot of fun. Cuphead is still a great GAME, not just a cartoon that you need a controller to watch.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

Whelt

I think it really depends on the kind of game. Generally, it's probably safe to say that gameplay is the most important thing. But there are also games that have their story and presentation so integrated into the gameplay itself that you couldn't have one without the other. 

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

SushieBoy

I guess it's better to say it's what separates a good game from the rest, using all the tools/presentation to serve and elevate the gameplay, instead of tacking things on at a superficial level.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

AGSMA

Not even FUNKe is able to hide Slag Gaming's controversy from his review on the game lul.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

WALLMAN

All he said was he was muted on their servers. It had nothing to do with the controversy that happened over five years ago and shouldn't fuckmothering matter anymore

Metroid: Samus Returns early Aeion tank Metroid: Samus Returns complete For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 284 days before it was shut down Posting after Dopply For third place in the Harrison Ford Trivia Contest! Congratulations!

AGSMA

Fine, I misheard the bit about MechaTheSlag, no big deal.

Truth be told, I've only heard about this project right after I've read a plethora of information about MechaTheSlag's temper tantrum and as a result I can't think about the game without being reminded about that episode of the TF2 community, much like how a lot of people cannot think of Fez without thinking about Phil Fish's escapades.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

P-Dash

4JuCPOw.jpg

Yes, this is a real alternate costume for Dante. And he looks better than the original Dante in this game.

I am legitimately angry. In fact, I'm fucking furious.