bob

General Video Game Chat Rising: Revengeance

16,072 replies to this topic

Maestro Snail

I beat Link's Awakening! And its ending was moving! and sadly I didn't think to set a restore point or whatever before taking on the final boss. Since I didn't have the heart to reset the game entirely, I shut the system off, and when I launched it anew, it set me back to before I beat the sixth dungeon. Oh well, I can retrace my steps.

For staying warn free for 9 years Mmmmmm For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Wads of dosh For collecting 20 awards. For sharing the love with delicious, inedible candy! For receiving candy hearts from strangers! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016
User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2017 Initial concept

Designed cards #8, #11, #17, #24, #27, #30, #51, #56, #58, #69, #87

Illustrated card #98

Designed background card and awards

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For coming in 1st in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 7 years. Successfully met up with Richard Nixon's long-lost daughter. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

SharkhamAsylum

Anyone here play Dead By Daylight or Friday the 13th: The Game? I'd really like to get into either (or both) myself but I'm unsure what the exact state of either game is right now.

I've been watching gameplay footage and lurking discussion of Dead By Daylight and it seems like the game is currently tilted a bit too far in favor of the survivors, meaning that playing a killer is an exercise in futility and/or frustration. Is that true, or is it just a bunch of people being salty?

I feel like if I were the killer, I wouldn't be concerned with killing every other player in a game. Every great slasher movie ends with one or two left alive! It's about not knowing who is going to be left alive. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

The Pope

Speaking of Battlefront 2, EA has conceded completely and has removed microtransactions altogether from the game.

DOzHIn0VwAA5NWy.jpg

Granted, the implication is that this is temporary and that they'll be back later. Still, this is a good sign that righteous anger can and does have impact, and that we don't have to let gaming companies get away with sleazy bullshit. I guess they finally realized that whatever money they were making from loot boxes wasn't equivalent to the money they were losing from the lambasting reviews and negative press.

Still, would never expect EA to admit their fault (and actually act on it, instead of just sheepishly saying "we appreciate the passion of the fans" and doing nothing like most cowards tend to do), so I guess they deserve praise for that.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

SharkhamAsylum

I'm firmly against microtransactions for anything but cosmetic purposes, but I'm definitely in the "loot boxes are exploitative gambling" camp so I long for them to be obliterated.

The moving paywall of the modern game profit model is bad for all but the richest, most care free players, but naturally they're gonna ride that money train for as long as they legally or profitably can.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

trepmaws

Neat that people actually got EA/Dice to say that. Not even any BS statements that they "innovated too much" or anything, I'm surprised. Wonder if the fact Belgium was starting to take up the question of whether to legally call their crap gambling had anything to do with it as well. Not that it would have killed the game if they decided it was, but imagine the precedent that decision would have set in the industry regarding loot boxes and similar mechanics.

Still, this is EA we're talking about, and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to sneak the pay-to-win or gambling elements back in later once the uproar dies down. As foolish as that would be to try on a high-profile shooter from a high-profile franchise.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Posted Nep Nep hentai For staying strike free for 7 years. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Meeting MycroProcessor Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Here's to another 4 years before anyone else gets it hooray!

SharkhamAsylum

There's a call for papers for a local academic conference, and this year's topic is a celebration of the slasher film. What I'm going to propose is a look at how video game developers have attempted in the past to translate the experience of a slasher film to video games, particularly in a time where the graphical fidelity wasn't available to make a truly visceral, complex experience.

Basically, I'm gonna write a big fat essay about the NES Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th games, analyzing their more interesting design decisions and strengths and flaws. Maybe even the Atari 2600 Halloween game, too.

StockReady

I watched the AVGN video of Halloween on Atari 2600 recently and... it's surprisingly disturbing to see the characters getting killed despite the primitive graphics.

For staying strike free for 7 years. 2015 Contest - John Metravolta Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Thanks for the donation. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos October 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 13 videos

Geibuchan
30 minutes ago, SharkhamAsylum said:

There's a call for papers for a local academic conference, and this year's topic is a celebration of the slasher film. What I'm going to propose is a look at how video game developers have attempted in the past to translate the experience of a slasher film to video games, particularly in a time where the graphical fidelity wasn't available to make a truly visceral, complex experience.

Basically, I'm gonna write a big fat essay about the NES Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th games, analyzing their more interesting design decisions and strengths and flaws. Maybe even the Atari 2600 Halloween game, too.

Ooh, if only your essay covered 16-bit games too, otherwise you'd be able to bring up Splatterhouse, since it's a tribute to western horror films and all.

Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 I'm a Sugar Daddy! That's a lot of love! Got a lot of candy amongst the stuff I was giving! Gave away LOTS of candy this year! For collecting all the cards

Got 'em all! Thanks to KingHarky! For collecting all the gold cards

Heeey I just remembered, now that KingHarky gave me the last card, I can just give myself the awards that'd come with it! Thanks for the donation. For service! For getting 20 awards For getting 90 5-star ratings For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed card template

Designed cards #5, #10, #21-22, #88-89

Illustrated cards #80, #82, #95, #97 For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for having 72 5-star ratings on your videos For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. After you've scrubbed the King's dong, then we can talk about dinner for you Best Artist 2014, Best YouTube Pooper 2014, Best Image Editor 2015, Best Artist 2015, Best YouTube Pooper 2016, Best Image Editor 2016, Best Artist 2016, Best Image Editor 2017, User with Funniest Signatures 2017, Best YouTube Pooper 2017 For responding to my status correctly! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Friendliest User 2014
Best Image Editor 2014
Best YouTube Pooper 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Best Artist 2017 April 2013 - "GENIE SHARES A BOUNTIFUL UNBIRTHDAY BANQUET AT ALADDIN'S RESTAURANT " (Sentence mix-core) For winning the first Photopoop contest of 2013 with your idea of what YouTube Poop characters do throughout the winter. August 2012 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

SharkhamAsylum
4 hours ago, Geibuchan said:

Ooh, if only your essay covered 16-bit games too, otherwise you'd be able to bring up Splatterhouse, since it's a tribute to western horror films and all.

I considered broadening it, but the paper is subservient to the conference presentation, which I doubt will be longer than 10 or 15 minutes. So I'm going for specificity. The history of horror games, or specifically how their design evolved over time, though, is a huge fascination of mine so it's definitely something I'd want to cover at length sometime. There was a huge trend (still on-going I think) of Mortal Kombat copping slasher star after slasher star as DLC, which worked fantastically because what other genre (hell, what other game?) would be so good at showing off their signature violence? Games like Dead by Daylight, Friday the 13th: The Game, and Until Dawn suggest a larger trend of slasher films finally finding good representation in video games.

Also, I played Splatterhouse 3 on an emulator and fucking loved it, even if I wasn't too good at it.

The Pope

After the tragic letdown that was Valkyria Revolution, Sega's decided to save face with Valkyria Chronicles 4, most likely throwing the Revolution reboot/revamp/whatever you'd call it under the bus.

I never played Revolution, mostly because I heard nothing but bad things about it, but I really liked the original Chronicles, so here's to hoping this is good. 2-3 were PSP-only for some god-forsaken reason, so this appears to be a true return-to-form, and Sega seems to know it. No gameplay footage, but my guess is it'll veer pretty close to the original game; I heard one of Revolutions' major issues was it trying to eschew the strategy elements to make it more action-oriented, to the game's ultimate detriment.

At any rate, consider my cautiously optimistic. Personally after 2-3 being so low-key on PSP I'd prefer a full-on revamp, but that's what they attempted with Revolution and...well, we saw how that turned out. So here's to hoping this one turns out to be good.

(Oh, and anyone who hasn't played the original, it's on Steam and PS4; I definitely recommend it.)

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Dieathan

As someone who played Valkyria Revolution, I didn't hate it, but really I don't know what to make of it other than it being a semi-forgettable spin-off.

Understandably the game tries to implement tactical elements into what is essentially an action RPG, though I feel like it just makes the game a bit too easy for the most part, and if you're spamming alchemy or any weapon that isn't your normal attack repeatedly, the stop-go nature of executing an attack, bringing up the menu, selecting the attack you want, and adjusting it accordingly for the most effective use can get tedious. I feel it would've worked better if it did away with the tactical elements altogether, as it otherwise makes the gameplay seem at odds with itself. The story on its own is alright, though the villains were rather forgettable (Except for perhaps Maxim), and your mileage may vary with regards to how much you like the main cast (Which I enjoyed for the most part) but I feel like it still left a more lasting impression than Chronicles II, and I honestly couldn't be arsed with that game after a few chapters into that.

I'd probably see it as the Dirge of Cerberus of the franchise in that it takes a couple familiar elements from the main games, and jams them into a completely different genre. Revolution unfortunately doesn't share the same success that its mainline cousins do, nor does it really stand out that much on its own aside from its art style which goes for a more rugged and weathered look over the more colorful and saturated feel of Chronicles I, and I'd maybe suggest it if you interested in the idea of a more action-oriented Valkyria game gameplay-wise, but otherwise you're not missing too much.

Anyways, this news of a new Valkyria Chronicles game kind of came out of left field for me, though I guess the recent remaster of Chronicles I and to some degree, Revolution, are what made them want to make another Valkyria Chronicles game, and I welcome it with open arms. Good to see this time they're developing for home consoles this time, as I feel like the limited control scheme and the watered-down visuals of the PSP games didn't do the series justice.

For staying strike free for 5 years. The galaxy is at peace Metroid Prime 3: Corruption 100% Metroid Prime Pinball complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Fusion 100% Metroid Fusion under 2 hours For 50 awards! PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! PUH-LAQUE MONSTERS Thanks for the donation. For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT For participating in YouChew Secret Santa event prior to 2015 For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Link's Crossbow Training during the community challenge. For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Richer! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For having a blog featured For staying strike free for 3 years. For finishing first place in the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 during the community challenge event. For clearing all of the games required for this prestigious award. Great work! For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing the very hard game of Mario Bros 2 (JPN)/Lost Levels during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 For clearing Sonic CD during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. He's bigger, faster, Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For the EARRAPE Collab. For the EARRAPE Collab. For your article about what's new about the New Nintendo 3DS. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Congrats on 10 collabs! March 2014 - "Kuroko Forgets How To Peel Tomatoes" (Regular) March 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos