• Announcements

• Whelt

Regarding the recent update   07/20/2017

As you may be aware, the forum software underwent an update that turned out to be somewhat buggy. We rolled back the update for now, and will plan on making a more smooth transition later on in the future. In the meantime, you may notice the forum loading slowly as a lot of processes are running right now. We ask for your continued patience, and apologize for any inconvenience.
The Pope

Overwatch

2,798 posts in this topic

HE'S FINALLY HERE

PERFORMING FOR YOU

IT'S THE THIRD MEMBER OF THE DOOMFIST CREW

Spoiler

Not voiced by Terry Crews though :(

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Okay epic is that an anime Blizzard but can we see Game of Thrones looking like that and Doomfist is like "Wheeeelp time to hit the old dusty trail...... He didn't fly so good.".

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Real talk that anime esque trailer was p neat. Can't wait to try this guy out whenever I get around to playing again.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

I figured that if they did make him (which they said they weren't going to when Ana was announced, from what I remember...) then he was going to be a melee offense. Seems like he is pretty OP right now, based on some gameplay I saw.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Hosting the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange God the Hedgehog For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Halloween Festival awards. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Apparently I was eligible for this all along. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Certainly quite a few pictures you've made there. For his 2011 Festival contribution

I like how he handles, but I anticipate he'll be like all the other new characters in that he'll start out strong and then get heavily dialed back. I like that there is actually a melee character who isn't as clunky as Reinhardt now.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

Almost no character in any video game (of any genre) releases in a balanced state. This is because most devs are usually bad at their job and more than coming up with a complex and strenuously tested concept, they just fart out an idea and then give it a round of closed testing before plugging it in to see how it does. They have no way of really knowing just what players are going to do with a concept and unless they try really hard to inorganically control their game's meta (see: League of Legends and its developer, Riot Games, who've turned their product into a fucking mess), it's the players that define how a character is utilized, often in complete opposition of what the developers intended. So generally, every new character releases in a state of either being underpowered or overpowered and has to take additional tuning to fix. Other times this is a problem because a character might release in a pretty balanced state and yet hardly enough of the players understand how that balance is intended to work, so the character is- by effect- either made underpowered or overpowered through players not understanding it's intended use, which leads to a bunch of community pitchforking when players get angry that the devs aren't imposing changes to a character who actually doesn't need any changes.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that Doomfist is fucking stupid and Overwatch sucks ass choo choo another bad fucking hero.

Edit: Also, not exactly an issue with Overwatch, but the "new hero so op broken wtf" syndrome you see in games is sometimes intentional on the part of the developer, because in games where you need to unlock characters to play them (and where paying with cash is an option for unlocking), the developers want a new character to be as attractive as possible in order to persuade players to drop cash down so they can grab the new 'super powerful' guy as quick as possible, before a round of nerfs come out weeks later. Basically, they intentionally hamper the integrity of their game in order to make money.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

The lead-up to Doomfist's launch has made me realize something--Blizzard has a crippling phobia of releasing strong heroes.  Doomfist has been majorly nerfed twice already and he hasn't even been released yet.  He did seem potentially OP when he was first announced but he was also the first new hero I was genuinely excited for.  Ana and Sombra were pretty weak at the start and only became good through later buffs, and Orisa is still a complete non-entity.

I know players will always whine about OP stuff but releasing a strong hero (even an OP one) is better than releasing a weak one because it shakes up the meta and draws players back to the game.  If all the new heroes are bad then eventually players will catch on and no one will care when a new hero is announced because they won't be worth playing.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

I dunno, Orisa is pretty fun to play now since they buffed her shield cooldown. You can be much more mobile now thanks to it.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

1 hour ago, VGFM said:

The lead-up to Doomfist's launch has made me realize something--Blizzard has a crippling phobia of releasing strong heroes.  Doomfist has been majorly nerfed twice already and he hasn't even been released yet.  He did seem potentially OP when he was first announced but he was also the first new hero I was genuinely excited for.  Ana and Sombra were pretty weak at the start and only became good through later buffs, and Orisa is still a complete non-entity.

I know players will always whine about OP stuff but releasing a strong hero (even an OP one) is better than releasing a weak one because it shakes up the meta and draws players back to the game.  If all the new heroes are bad then eventually players will catch on and no one will care when a new hero is announced because they won't be worth playing.

they are afraid of another ana, where the hero is initially perceived as weak but turns out to be the most busted in the game. the fact he's already been nerfed says the balancing team probably doesn't have much faith in their own judgement (and really who could blame them at this point) and will buff him back up in time, if necessary.

For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

2 hours ago, Life said:

they are afraid of another ana, where the hero is initially perceived as weak but turns out to be the most busted in the game. the fact he's already been nerfed says the balancing team probably doesn't have much faith in their own judgement (and really who could blame them at this point) and will buff him back up in time, if necessary.

That wasn't entirely the case--Ana was initially perceived as weak because she basically was (though probably not as much as Sombra or Orisa).  Blizzard buffed Ana's rate of fire and clip size shortly after release, and then later the blast radius of her grenade, which is when her burst healing got ridiculous and she almost single-handedly cemented the triple/quad tank meta.

I suppose if she had been stronger from the start things might've played out the same way, but then again it probably also would've meant that people would've figured out the hero faster and the issues with her could've been discovered sooner (whereas Ana's reign of terror lasted around 4+ months).  Oh well.  Coulda/woulda/shoulda, Hindsight's 20/20, etc.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

ana was always good. people wrote her off early on because they didn't know how to play her and in literally within like a week of playtime bliz gave huge buffs to her clip and firerate. she wasn't as much of a healing monster to carry a whole team of tanks on her back but it was still really good healing (nade was still +100% heals and the range wasn't bad before the stupid fucking buff that made it so large it doesn't match the animation anymore), and her ult charged so fast that you easily had nano every fight; this was back when it gave the target a speed buff too.

at any rate, the subsequent heroes have definitely been a case of hindsight. blizzard has been very cautious when introducing new heroes since her, if doomfist follows the same trend he'll be underwhelming at launch and then a few months of small buffs later will fall into, "yeah i guess he's alright" territory.

For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

I'd say the thing that makes Ana different is that most of her power is tied up in the fundamental synergy of her abilities instead of the discrete character statistics. They could make every aspect of her performance worse and she'd still remain a viable character. I think Blizzard would have to redesign the abilities or rely mostly on external factors like new characters or maps if they wanted to put more pressure on her current niche in the game.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

I still think the best way to bring her in line would be to make grenade-effected enemies take drastically less healing rather than no healing at all, and have the sleep dart provide a damage reduction effect so you can't just grenade/shoot them for free insta-kills. Make those tweaks (maybe increase her heal per shot to compensate, I dunno) and she's perfectly fine.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Not coming until next thursday.

Blugh.

Well, at least we have a date.

At this point I really don't care much about Overwatch balancing but Ana was always powerful, her buffs were entirely unnecessary. The thing that made her ridiculous was the sleep dart (wow an on-demand stun makes a hero very powerful WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT it's almost like stuns are a counter TO EVERYTHING IN THE GAME....) on top of her general damage and utility. Sleep Dart is still an entirely bullshit stun and pretty much the best basic ability in the game (I guess, I haven't played since the new robot person but I heard that one was shit). Heroes with no health are going to die to Sleep Dart stun as well as if it were a hard CC, tanks and high-health heroes are going to be tactically ignored for like 5-6 seconds. What balance!

I thought he did ok at long range still? (bear with me tho I like barely play anymore lol, that's probably gonna be changing soon haha) otherwise yeah I agree with all that.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

His spread is massive and he can't headshot, so he's rather pitiful at a distance.