Yitsul

Yooka-Laylee (spiritual successor to Banjo-Kazooie)

What system are you going to play it on?  

61 members have voted

1. 2. What system are you going to play it on?

• Steam (I'm a cheap bastard)
    • Xbox One (I just want to see the world burn!)
    • Wii U (For when Rare was at its prime)
    • Playstation 4 (IT HAS NO GAMES!)
  2. 3. Are you making the switch to Nintendo Switch?

546 replies to this topic

Whelt
2 hours ago, ThyToonyman said:

I'd put it up there with Shantae Half-Genie Hero as one of the more successful and well-made Kickstarter games. Which says more about Kickstarter games than it does about the game itself. The main problems, really, were high expectations and inherited genre flaws, and also people not being familiar with the inspiration so they judge the game more harshly

Funny you mention Half-Genie Hero, because I feel similarly about that game. It's good, but not as good as the games that weren't crowdfunded.

Flame Hyenard defeated with no damage taken in Mega Man X7 Mega Man X4 complete with Zero All upgrades acquired in Mega Man X4 Hadouken and Shoryuken acquired in Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 Mega Man, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 8 complete The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
User with Funniest Avatars 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2018
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

ThyToonyman
13 hours ago, Whelt said:

Funny you mention Half-Genie Hero, because I feel similarly about that game. It's good, but not as good as the games that weren't crowdfunded.

I think that's because crowdfunded games have a definite disadvantage over others. They have a very tight budget, as set by the kickstarter, and that leads to them having to redo many things to stay in budget. The freedom is nice, but to make a game as gigantic as we spoiled people expect from a modern game you need the ressources of a big company.

Another problem is that due to the very close interaction with your audience you end up creating amounts of hype so big that nothing could ever hope of matching the expectations. Yooka-Laylee and Shantae are, as I said, actually successful and well-made examples, as they managed to deliver what was promised within the budget set and without having to outsource like Mighty No.9 had to. But both of those games also created a lot of hype via social media and kickstarter updates, and as modern hype culture has shown, once the hype train starts-a-rollin' you cannot hope meeting the expectations you have raised.

To avoid repeating myself any futher, I wanna sum up what I trhink of the game once and for all: The kickstarter delivered what it promised, the game is very enjoyable and plays great. The nostalgia is there, and the game has a lot of charm. But it's not the reinvention of the wheel that some people have expected it to be, the humour often falls flat or is too in-your-face, and the pitfalls of its inspiration are still there completely (i.e. bad camera, really crappy minigames, etc.). I personally don't feel the worlds are too big or too empty, they did a good job filling out each world with nice setpieces. I personally love the game and am glad I backed the kickstarter back then.

Won the Showdown Tourney AND defeated Dark Fox's surprise theme team 2-0 during the Festival Swept the board during DF and Miss10's Showdown Tournament 2017 EYELASHES! For meeting 2112pk! For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 196 days before it was shut down

VGFM

I just got 100% completion.  I don't know if I can truly compare this game to other 3D platformer games yet until I've had time to digest it and replay it at some point in the future (since my opinions on Banjo Kazooie and Tooie didn't fully solidify until I replayed them a couple times).

Still, I'll share my initial thoughts: (spoilered for length and actual spoilers)

Spoiler

I feel a person's enjoyment of this game heavily depends on their prior experience with 3D collectathon platformers, so for context I'll rank the games that were formative to my experience:

1. Banjo Kazooie: Probably the best collectathon of all time and one of my top 5 favorite games
  2. Super Mario 64: The pioneer of the genre and a great game, though IMO not as good as Kazooie
  3. Banjo Tooie: Does a few things better than Kazooie but is too flawed overall to surpass it.  Somewhere between "good" and "OK"
  4. Donkey Kong 64: It's Tooie without the redeeming factors.  A few good moments, but overall bad.

Right now I'd tentatively place Yooka Laylee between Mario 64 and Banjo Tooie.  I'm definitely going to have the replay the game in order to know for sure where it belongs, since my opinion of Tooie dropped considerably when I replayed it.

I'd definitely agree with the assessment that YL doesn't reinvent the wheel when it comes to the genre.  I think the best way to sum up YL is that it's what Nuts and Bolts would have been if it wasn't a car game.  The flaws in this game aren't nearly as severe as the (non-car) ones in Nuts and Bolts, but it also feel like the devs haven't fully learned their lesson from that game either.

Like Nuts and Bolts, there's too much fourth wall humor in YL, but I didn't find it quite as grating since the game doesn't feel like it's insulting you like N&B did when it shit-talked platformers and their fans.  YL also tends to recycle NPCs a bit too much for my liking, but it's nowhere near as egregious as N&B using the exact same six characters (and only those characters) in every single level.  YL also has extremely huge worlds like N&B did but I feel it handles them much better since there's actual things to do and the levels don't feel barren and empty.

If anything I'd say that YL's levels were a pleasant surprise--my biggest fear was that they'd be too vast and directionless or that they'd just be a series of platforming challenges floating in a void.  I'd still say that they don't compare to Banjo Kazooie's worlds, but I never felt like there was an outright "bad" world at any point, which is something I can't say for all of the games I ranked above.  Oddly enough I'd say my main problems with the world tomes have more to do with their art direction than their layout.

YL's worlds have layouts reminiscent of Bubblegloop Swamp and Gobi's Valley from Banjo Kazooie: decentralized locations with a handful of big landmarks that have items and challenges structured around them.  Unfortunately some YL levels forget the "landmark" part (i.e. a giant statue or uniquely-shaped building) and as a result many areas tend to look samey from a distance, which can make navigation a little tedious when you're cleaning out the last few pagies and quills from a level and you're trying to remember where you've been.  I didn't notice this problem as much when I first started each world, probably because quills tend to be placed in such a way that they guide your exploration and serve as breadcrumbs when you're presented with a branching path.  Overall though I'm surprised the levels function as well as they do without relying on a warp pad mechanic.

In terms of art direction I'd say Moodymaze Marsh is the worst offender since it's comprised of several generic buildings and arranged flora that feel like they're all made from the same building blocks.  This is especially disappointing when the level's design conceit (Bubblegloop Swamp meets Mad Monster Mansion) had so much creative potential.  Galleon Galaxy is similarly disappointing since it has a great design concept (space ships crossed with pirate ships) that never quite comes together, though IMO it's the better level of the two.  I heard a lot of people complain about Capital Cashino but it was actually one of my favorite levels, and aside from a few redundant challenges and an annoying boss I'm not sure where the hate comes from.

Speaking of bosses, I suppose they were at least on par with most of the bosses in the other four platformers I've mentioned here but they don't really bring anything new to the table (which is sad considering how many games since the N64 era have had some awesome boss fights).  The World 1 and 2 bosses are fairly unremarkable (with World 1's boss being a bit buggy and World 2's being really lazy and one-note).  World 3 probably had the best boss fight of the bunch--nothing incredible but just all-around solid.  World 4's boss fight had a lot of potential--I loved the design, the concept, and the surprising way that it's introduced, but the fight itself went on way too long and felt too punishing.  I can't tell whether World 5's boss was really unfair or if I was just really bad at dodging its attacks, but I had enough health to turn the fight into a DPS race so it didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Capital B was an alright boss fight but nowhere near as memorable as either of the Gruntilda boss fights.  I'd maybe rank it slightly above your typical end-game Bowser fight in a 3D Mario game (which isn't saying much), but the fight definitely lacked that classic Rare creativity.  Speaking of Capital B, I'd say he was probably the weakest of the main characters.  I just didn't really feel there was much to him as a villain or a character--he pretty much only talks in business lingo and his most dastardly deed is stealing a book.  I think another reason his fight was unremarkable is because the game doesn't really build up to facing him the way that the Banjo games built up to Gruntilda.  Hell, even DK64 managed to get that part right.

I still have more thoughts but I didn't know how to work them in and this thing's gone on long enough so I might make another post later.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Yitsul

I also want to say cut some slack for the developers because they haven't been able to make a collect-a-thon for more than a decade.

For staying warn free for 9 years For using up all your Chewbucks! Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 91 days before it was shut down For referring a member to this site. Thanks! Thanks for being Strike-Free for three years! For keeping his lago in his sig for a long time. Thanks for being Strike-Free!

Life

Nobody deserves any slack cut just because their project is crowdfunded. If anything they have a bigger responsibility to deliver a quality product because they're making content with customers' dollars upfront, and their success or failure reflects on crowdfunding as a whole.

Wads of dosh Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Whelt

I will cut a portion of slack at least because I know it's hard for basically an indie team to make a full 3D game. That's why most indies are usually 2D or smaller scale. They also don't have the resources or backing of a giant like Nintendo anymore.

Flame Hyenard defeated with no damage taken in Mega Man X7 Mega Man X4 complete with Zero All upgrades acquired in Mega Man X4 Hadouken and Shoryuken acquired in Mega Man X and Mega Man X2 Mega Man, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 8 complete The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Whelt

So, I'm coming to only like this game more as I spend more time with it. It's an odd case where the first impression is fucking dogshit, but if you're willing to give it a chance, it surprises by actually being pretty fun.

Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018

Ferg

So I recently got the Xbox One edition of Yooka-Laylee for my birthday.

So far, I like it a lot. The graphics look pretty neat, it controls well, albeit taking some getting used to (granted I haven't touched a 3D platformer in a while), and the levels are pretty nice. I only have gripes with the ice powerup aiming, some unskippable cutscenes, the camera sometimes being awkward in places but not too much of an issue, and Rextro's minigames. I also love the character designs a lot too. And thank goodness that the game has infinite lives, though sometimes it's annoying to start again from a checkpoint (still better than starting from the menu after dying enough times, though). Overall, not a perfect game by any means (and never expected as such when I backed the game), but still enjoyable for me.

I've been to the first two worlds so far, and hopefully I'll have some better impressions of the game as I go on.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Whelt

I ended up getting that glitch in Capital Cashino where you lose a pagie after a game crash but don't gain back the tokens you spent on it, locking yourself out of 100%. It's easily fixed on PC by editing one of the game's files, so I did that. But still, that needs to be patched pronto.

Anyway, I think Galleon Galaxy might be the nicest level in the game, so it's good note to end on. It's very pretty, it has a number of cool challenges, and it's segmented well so that it's easier to navigate than most of the other levels.

I feel like this is a game that would probably be more fun on subsequent playthroughs, after you already know how to tackle some of the weird bullshit. I may seriously consider getting the Switch version, whenever that comes out, especially since I got it so cheap on PC anyway. Seems like a nice game to be able to play portable.

Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • yookalaylee is alright me post here i guess

On 4/17/2017 at 11:20 PM, Whelt said:

I will cut a portion of slack at least because I know it's hard for basically an indie team to make a full 3D game. That's why most indies are usually 2D or smaller scale.

Funny enough, it's actually a lot easier to make a 3D game than a 2D game- at least depending on what the project is.  For a platformer game on the scope of Yooka-Laylee it'd have probably taken more time to make it work 2-D than it did 3-D.  As long as you have the talent on hand for modeling and animation (it's becoming harder and harder to find good indie 2-D talent compared to people who are training themselves in 3-D.  Try finding 10 professional pixel sprite artists and then find 10 professional 3Ds Max modelers and you'll see what I mean.)

On 4/17/2017 at 11:01 PM, Life said:

Nobody deserves any slack cut just because their project is crowdfunded. If anything they have a bigger responsibility to deliver a quality product because they're making content with customers' dollars upfront, and their success or failure reflects on crowdfunding as a whole.

Slack is exactly what crowd-funded projects need.  Why in the world would you expect a crowd-funded project to uphold the same deadlines and crunches that an investor-funded studio upholds?  Just because they're working with backer's money upfront?  This isn't a free greencard for Kickstarter projects to drag their feet or suffer/fail from bad organization or planning, but when you invest in a Kickstarter project you should realize that you're putting money towards concepts and not towards tangible work.  Maybe this doesn't sit right with some people, but almost no project ever fully delivers on planned promises- even those coming out of triple A studios.

Like I said, this doesn't mean crowd-funded projects get to just suck and that everything can be written off as "Oh, they're indie dude!  Have a heart!" but indie projects are working under odd conditions to begin with.  Kickstarter is actually a nightmare to use and a super-successful funding can actually badly hurt a project.  It happens quite often where a project gets some 400% funded and made a bunch of lofty stretch goals only to immediately have a massive chunk (up to 50% in some cases) of their Kickstarter money taxed.  Then they're left with long stretch goals and no money to make them happen.  You can't pull a project down once it's funded, either.  If you're getting wildly overfunded, Kickstarter isn't going to let you pull out until the deadline for funding is reached.  A lot of projects go into production with a very unclear amount of actual funds after finding how much money they've just had taken away from them.  Honestly, what we really need is some sort of online class that teaches people the ins and outs of what'll happen to your crowdsourcing funds after your pitch is successful.  People planning to use Kickstarter should try to be already educated about this, but finding information on the subject is actually pretty fucking hard and varies from state to state and country to country, so I don't blame people when they suddenly find some local tax on their cash that they never knew existed before.

Making an indie game on a shoestring budget using only very entry level and un-established workers is incredibly fucking difficult.  You should go into funding a Kickstarter campaign not because you expect to see immediate and satisfactory results, but because you want to help fund a project for better or for worse.  Kickstarter and other crowdsourcing platforms are meant to be places where people with ideas can get away from capitalist investors breathing down their necks and demanding they all put in 120 hour crunch weeks.  Sometimes a project works and sometimes it doesn't, you just have to approach Kickstarter with the attitude of "Here's some cash, let's see what you can do."  

And obviously this also doesn't mean crowdsourced teams can just lie about the state of their project, especially in the case of outright scams.  If a project is way too ambitious that no amount of money is going to make it come true (such as in cases where an over-eager indie team wants to tackle a project that they lack the infrastructure and experience to even work on) and the developers start lying about how they're making great progress and will meet every stretch goal even once it's blatantly obvious they have no ability or intention to, then this is a problem.  When people openly scam using Kickstarter or a project ends up dying behind the scenes but the developers keep taking people's money, then this is a problem.  Investing in a crowdsourcing indie project is a gamble, and all you can do as a responsible investor is research the project and who is behind it and then make a reasonable decision from there.

Basically, holding up an indie team to strict expectations just because they were crowdfunded is kind of harsh on the indie team.  They have a moral obligation to do their best, but they're just a group of people who really want to make a video game.  They're probably not going to pull hellish crunch weeks or sacrifice quality in order to meet stone deadlines and they're not going to have the resources to outsource animation or modeling work to exterior companies.  Go into an investment understanding that the best you can hope for is that they use your funds as best they can, or choose not to invest.  I know crowdsourcing has gotten a bad name over the years because there's absolutely no barrier of entry and anyone can put together a promising looking pitch but be completely unable to ever realize the actual project, and the allure of their promises leads thousands of people to throw money at what is essentially a dead in the water project; but for as much responsibility that's put on the project developers to deliver a full product, there's an equal amount of responsibility on backers to research who the developers are and how they actually propose to deliver their content.  Sometimes you'll fund a great project, other times you'll waste money on a dud. 

Basically, putting pressure on an indie project because you think "they deserve even less slack than a non-crowdsourced project" is only going to make them fuck the project up even worse than they may already be doing it.  Big triple A developments have teams of PR and Community Management teams at their fingertips to deal with public backlash and issue copy-pasted apologies/reassurances.  When you harp on an indie team, you're basically just stressing out an already overworked team of people who are feeling the heat on their asses.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Whelt

Campaigns blowing up on hype and funding several times their intended goal is exactly why I think creators should be able to put a maximum funding cap on their projects. There comes a point when you make so much money on a campaign that it goes far beyond the scope of the project and you don't have the talent on hand to make proper use of those funds. Then it gets taxed like you said, and hype and expectations from backers goes through the roof because there's this idea that more money is directly proportional to higher quality.

Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • It's a rather personal issue to me, too, because I have a good industry friend who was on a small indie team a few months ago who put their project up on Kickstarter.  They only needed 4,000 dollars in order to commission some finishing touches for their game (using crowdsourcing to fund a single aspect of a project instead of the entire thing is pretty common, especially among indies), but due to some social connections one of the other team members had (he was friends with some GameJam people or something like that?) they ended up blowing up and getting around 7,500 bucks (when they really only wanted 4,000 so that'd come out to around 3,400 or so when all was said and done) and when they paid Kickstarter, taxes and other fees they came up LESS than what they'd have come out with if they only got around 4,000.  That, to me, is incredibly fucked up but if you make juuuuust enough to hit those higher tax brackets you're going to be getting hit with a much higher percentage of tax.  The fact your campaign can ironically end up being too successful is something that scares a lot of people away from Kickstarter, and Kickstarter doesn't give a fuck about you or your project.  The more your campaign makes, the more Kickstarter gets to scoop off the top so they have no incentive to allow you to end the campaign early or stop when the asked-for funds are raised.  They WANT every project to be 100 and 200% overfunded, what happens to the project and the funds after that- they couldn't care less for.

Also to my understanding is that your fucking money actually gets taxed before Kickstarter even takes anything out of it, too.  So you get taxed for the money before Kickstarter takes their cut and this doesn't even count the costs of transferring money around when it comes time to start paying people with it.  I dunno if it works out to be the same as if it were the other way around or not, but it must be really soul crushing to think you're getting way more money than you thought only to end up somehow coming up short.  

There's nothing wrong with being wildly over-successful like in Toby Fox's (Undertale guy) case where he only asked for like 5,000 dollars and he ended up getting like 55,000 or something like that.  He still came out with tens of thousands more than he wanted, but in the instances where your campaign is being less than 400% overfunded, you hemorrhage a shit load to taxes and fees.

I mean you can at least tax write off the shit you buy with the money as business expenses, but that's not saying much when your funds got hit by a 30% tax.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Life

30-50%? I didn't know taxes can get that bad for crowdfunded stuff, huh.

Also "slack" is referring to the final quality of the product. I haven't crowdfunded anything myself, but I can say with confidence that I wouldn't mind if they were missing deadlines or had to extend them indefinitely (within reason), as long as they had good reason to do so. Whether there were delays or not is largely irrelevant once the game is in people's hands, so no I don't want developers doing mandatory crunch time or anything like that, because aside from crunch being fucking miserable it would probably just hurt the quality of the game anyways.

I do think they still have more pressure to deliver a quality title then a triple A game does though. Even if you view your contribution purely as an investment, if a high profile crowdfunded game releases to poor reception it reflects poorly on crowdfunding as a whole to the general public, and makes it that much harder for newer titles to get funded.

Wads of dosh Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Dopply

While I believe this topic is better suited to the Game Dev thread, I think the future in public funding is Patreon. Toss a couple bucks towards someone you support every month and get continuous content from it. In the age of instant gratification, I'd say Patreon is the most appealing for both consumers and creators alike. 

I don't intend to monetize my project for quite a while but I do know I'd probably go with Patreon for funding. Seems to make the most sense. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • 55 minutes ago, Life said:

30-50%? I didn't know taxes can get that bad for crowdfunded stuff, huh.

Back in like 2014 me and my partner were looking into Kickstarting a longterm project of ours.  Ignoring the fact that at the time we were grossly unprepared/didn't really know what we were doing and should've never been considering using Kickstarter at that point in time, in Iowa (the state we were both living in) the taxes for a 4,000 dollar sum would've been like 20% after state and federal income taxes (Iowa has a like 9% income tax on all income, which is one of the higher states I guess).  We would've only gotten 3,200 of the 4,000 we were seeking, and if we went up to 8,000 dollars we would've hit a new tax bracket and probably would've paid more like fucking 45-50%.

Also, any (Kickstarter) money you have left over by the end of the year gets fucking taxed again, too, so you're under pressure to spend the money ASAP and sometimes (especially with lower-tier indie studios) spending that money on stuff worth spending it on can be hard.  If you suddenly have an artist flake off and vanish on you, you're now racing against the clock to find a respectable replacement just to get rid of your fucking tax burden Kickstarter dough.

Honestly Kickstarter is pretty shitty all around lol.  You're better off just getting people to "gift" you the money, though for stuff like that you obviously need a pre-existing platform of some some kind I guess.

I do think they still have more pressure to deliver a quality title then a triple A game does though. Even if you view your contribution purely as an investment, if a high profile crowdfunded game releases to poor reception it reflects poorly on crowdfunding as a whole to the general public, and makes it that much harder for newer titles to get funded.

I agree with this to the extent that there's a pressure to not fuck up so you don't make the concept of crowdfunding look bad in general.  Though it's a bit funny because I remember reading a report that took numbers from Kickstarter and showed that after significant scandals/controversies/buzz (like Munchy Number 9, for instance) that it only made people fund more money to other similar campaigns.  I guess it's the whole "no publicity is bad publicity as long as you didn't rape someone" anecdote.

I think that saying there's more pressure to not fuck up as a crowdsourced game versus a Triple A game is a bit unfair, though.  A crowdsourced game is usually the project of a bunch of indie developers who have a passion project and are struggling to make it come to life.  A Triple A game is a game that had a multi-million dollar budget and an entire staff of people working on it.  Which game out of those two should really be under more pressure not to tarnish a reputation?  I think ultimately any project is under the same degree of pressure to not let down their audience at the risk of negatively impacting the platform they were developed in.

26 minutes ago, Dopply said:

While I believe this topic is better suited to the Game Dev thread, I think the future in public funding is Patreon. Toss a couple bucks towards someone you support every month and get continuous content from it. In the age of instant gratification, I'd say Patreon is the most appealing for both consumers and creators alike. 

I don't intend to monetize my project for quite a while but I do know I'd probably go with Patreon for funding. Seems to make the most sense. 

Patreon is pretty good but it's only caveat is that if you're going to use Patreon you may as well be taking money under the table and avoid taxes on it (Patreon cash is also, obviously, counted as income).  If you have the notoriety and social following to simply take non-business related donations, a DONATE 2 MY PAYPAL button is the absolute best crowdsourcing tool you can use.

Patreon/"unrelated" donations are also a bit rocky in terms of relying on it for funding, but that's just the nature of that sort of funding source.  Instead of 30,000 dollars upfront, you have to hope you maintain a decent amount of Patreon income every month and that a significant number of people don't drop out at the same time or whatever.  Patreon is great for youtube channels and stuff (my girlfriend uses it for her own channel) but  using it for funding for more legitimate/larger scale projects is a bit risky.  Unless of course you're making a furry game, which in that case congratulations and enjoy your 10,000+ monthly patreon check.

Most people that aren't trying to make web animations or porn typically only rely on Patreon for a little bit of extra cash/social networking.

Whelt

Daily reminder that David Wise is a goddamn genius

It's really a shame that his songs are only heard so briefly in this game.

Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018

Whelt

Finally finished the game at 100%. I have to say, my opinion is almost totally reversed from when I started. I was disappointed and confused at first, but I really think it only got better as it went on.

The problems are still problems, and there really was no excuse for some of this stuff in a modern game... but once I managed to get used to the weird camera and the game's various oddities, I had a lot of fun. At many moments it truly felt like classic Rare.

Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018