G ☆

Clichés you like/dislike

121 replies to this topic

The Pope

Yeah, that really bugged me. All of the buildup was how it was the first game in the series, how everything started here.

Literally first moment of the game:

A LONG LONG TIME AGO

Like, why even have Demise be an "ancient evil awakened"? Why have Hylia "return"? Wouldn't it have been far more interesting to play in that story, the one where you're waging evil with this evil force that just spawned from the cracks of hell?

Not to mention Demise is so blandly boring that even the notion that he's the progenitor of every single villain of the series is beyond stupid.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Dopply

The Breakfast Club, more like The Breakfast Chub, as far as 80s high school films are concerned, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is infinitely better.

I don't think I like any clichés in particular when it comes to film. Not off the top of my head anyway.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Maestro Snail

I hate it when historical dramas simplify conflicts and war. In addition to being historically inaccurate, it's insulting to me as a viewer; they expect me to buy a "good guys v. bad guys" or "now the underdogs finally take their revenge" scenario despite the story being based on real world, absolutely more complex events. I obviously do not suggest we portray Nazis and Holocaust victims in the same light; I'm thinking more how media tends to glorify US / European military without acknowledging their wrongdoings or any negative consequences. 

For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For staying warn free for 9 years Mmmmmm For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Wads of dosh For collecting 20 awards. For sharing the love with delicious, inedible candy! For receiving candy hearts from strangers! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016
User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2017 Initial concept

Designed cards #8, #11, #17, #24, #27, #30, #51, #56, #58, #69, #87

Illustrated card #98

Designed background card and awards

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For coming in 1st in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 7 years. Successfully met up with Richard Nixon's long-lost daughter. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

Nozdordomu

The Breakfast Club, more like The Breakfast Chub, as far as 80s high school films are concerned, Fast Times at Ridgemont High is infinitely better.

I don't think I like any clichés in particular when it comes to film. Not off the top of my head anyway.

You're right, Fast Times is amazing. "Doesn't anybody fucking KNOCK anymore?"

I don't even go on tumblr, lol. Breakfast Club just has way more flaws than most people are willing to admit.

For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Nozdordomu

I've seen Grease, too, actually, and...yeah, the ending's pretty problematic. It's funny, since the writers were actually trying to have an empowerment message, by having Sandy break out of her repressive '50s gender roles and become sexually liberated. But now it doesn't look like that at all. Well, at least Grease has the excuse of catchy music and not trying to be "realistic" in the slightest. Breakfast Club doesn't have those excuses, unless you count that "Don't You Forget About Me" song.

I already mentioned this in the "good movies" thread, but while watching Grease, I laughed out loud whenever anyone addressed Danny by his last name, "Zuko." Even funnier since the cartoon Zuko was actually better with the ladies than Grease's Zuko.

I guess the main thing here is that some cliches age better than others.

For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

bob

Also don't forget that just because it's not teaching you all of your sunday school values doesn't mean that it can't be positive. Being a teenager sucked in the 80s, and the happy ending was that they were all able to connect with and appreciate each other. An ending where the blonde girl said "lets get the whole school to appreciate your style!" and shit like that wouldn't have fit what a realistically happy ending in that situation would be.

Whatever. I still dislike the message that "weird" girls only look that way because they want attention, and that they would somehow be happier with themselves if they just put on makeup and dressed like conventional females. Also, Bender had to change literally nothing about himself to get his girl, but Allison has to have a makeover to get the guy? For what's supposed to be such an anti-establishment film, that's a pretty dated attitude. (Come to think of it, the film as a whole has dated pretty badly. Getting detention for bringing a gun to school?!?)

I hesitate to call "The Breakfast Club" a period piece, but that was the first thing that came to mind to describe how true to the time period that movie tried to stay, except back then it was less "wow this is so dated" and more "wow, this is more gritty and true to life than other movies"

For clearing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years User with Funniest Signatures 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

HerrVarden

I don't even go on tumblr, lol. Breakfast Club just has way more flaws than most people are willing to admit.

I wasn't implying you were, I was just saying that people need to stop retroactively criticising films for views that were common of the time. I don't throw a tantrum every time someone calls a black guy a nigger or "boy", or a character is stereotyped to hell and back because I'm not that sensitive.

Mickey Rooney said that if he'd known he was going to offend so many people with his role in Breakfast At Tiffany's, he wouldn't have done it. Fun fact: most of the people who complained were white (fancy that!!). He says that decades after that film was released, he still had Asian people praising that role for its comedy.

Many people have gotten into this sort of John Hughes hate-funk as of late which I think just sort of stems from a combination of people feeling that he wasn't all that great and "man that guy sure is white". Which on the one hand I understand why people might not think he was progressive as he's made out to be, but any sort of other issues they have do seem petty, like what you mention. (That and he made Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Home Alone. Come on, those are fun.) That sort of thing is what I tend to refer to political correctness not doing any favors.

It's funny that you mention the Mickey Rooney bit. I'll admit that I found the role very off but to be fair I can't say he did anything wrong. The character was just supposed to be an eccentric thick-accented Asian. Reminds me of the whole issue with Speedy Gonzales. Sometimes I wonder if you have a character that just sounds very stereotypical but is actually contributing to some sort of narrative in a non-stereotypical way if people can see past the look. Like if Rooney's character had a more complex story arc would it have changed anything? I mean in the end it comes down to the issue of taking jobs away from other minorities and having said minorities be pigeonholed and the whole issue of to what lengths should people play beyond their racial barriers. It's all complex but people have to accept the raw past for it's strengths and faults.

Also Grease is great no matter how broken it really is. Avalon can serenade me with Beauty School Dropout anytime.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos DE DE DE IS THA ONE! Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Best Image Editor 2014, Best Image Editor 2015, Best Writer 2015 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year 2013 2013
User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Signatures 2015 For your first featured article. Harrison Ford Trivia Recursion Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Nozdordomu

Mickey Rooney said that if he'd known he was going to offend so many people with his role in Breakfast At Tiffany's, he wouldn't have done it. Fun fact: most of the people who complained were white (fancy that!!). He says that decades after that film was released, he still had Asian people praising that role for its comedy.

I find that claim extremely dubious. Notice he was the only one who said it, and there were no Asian people to back him up? Whole thing smells fishy, or rather, shitty.

If it was such a minor role, why couldn't they just have hired a Japanese actor? It's not like Americans had never seen Asian actors onscreen before (one of them even won an Oscar in 1957!). I also remember reading once that Bruce Lee walked out of Breakfast at Tiffany's after seeing Mickey Rooney's performance; with his own movies, he wanted to create better Asian characters in film, partly to right the wrongs of movies like Tiffany's.

And don't say I'm oversensitive. I willingly watched Birth of a Nation, for crying out loud. Plus, ultimately, I'm not so bothered by The Breakfast Club's gender politics as by the feeling that the film as a whole just isn't written well, although I'm not going to call your taste shit if you like it. Still, those things shouldn't be ignored simply because they came from a different time. We're still seeing their effects today, in both fiction and real life.

Also, bob, being a teenager in pretty much every decade sucks, lol.

I'm not a John Hughes hater, either. I love Ferris Bueller's Day Off, although some people apparently think Ferris is a terrible person (I don't really buy that). It's all worth it to see Charlie Sheen inadvertently save the day.

Best Writer 2016 

Nozdordomu

Wow, you just won't leave me alone! It's all good, though. I know that word isn't the best to use, but I felt like "sexist" was too loaded.

Anyway, going back to Ferris Bueller, here's a cliche I actually kind of like: when a complete stranger or very minor character wanders into the scene, and somehow they understand the movie/show better than any of the main characters. Like Charlie Sheen.

I wonder if this is one of MFX's favorite movies.

Another example would be Sean in that fourth season Scrubs episode, who appears out of nowhere, but manages to say "this hospital is crazy!" and "I hate you, JD," two things I'm sure a lot of viewers were thinking.

Best Writer 2016 

HerrVarden

I dunno, Noz, Ferris is kind of a selfish prick even if he doesn't intend to be.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos DE DE DE IS THA ONE! Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Best Image Editor 2014, Best Image Editor 2015, Best Writer 2015 For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year 2013 2013
User with Coolest Signatures 2014
User with Coolest Signatures 2015 For your first featured article. Harrison Ford Trivia Recursion Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SharkhamAsylum

I was never a huge fan of The Breakfast Club; despite seeing it twice, I think it's alright but just pretty overrated. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is probably my favorite John Hughes film, with Ferris Bueller's Day Off in second.

Anyway, a cliche I really love is the "angry Spider-man", or, when the character that always cracks jokes suddenly stops cracking jokes when pushed over the edge, and things get real bad for whoever pissed them off real fast.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

Maestro Snail

I love movies where a character is bullied because of their defining trait or job, but in the end, we learn that they, too, belong in the team.

For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For staying warn free for 9 years Mmmmmm For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Wads of dosh For collecting 20 awards. For sharing the love with delicious, inedible candy! For receiving candy hearts from strangers! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with 3 hearts during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016
User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2017 Initial concept

Designed cards #8, #11, #17, #24, #27, #30, #51, #56, #58, #69, #87

Illustrated card #98

Designed background card and awards

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For coming in 1st in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For staying strike free for 7 years. Successfully met up with Richard Nixon's long-lost daughter. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Ratburn Van Helsing Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

TugCoat

I don't throw a tantrum every time someone calls a black guy a nigger or "boy"

ny1HygA.png

For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting 20 awards For getting all the standard ornaments For making da Youchew Pizza, mama-mia! Metroid Fusion 100% For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

appdirect

I just pictured the king saying nigger with terrible world splicing.

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

Mushrooms™

"Zelda, Duke Onkled is under attack by n'GAArz"

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Thanks for the donation! Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Funniest Signatures 2014
User with Funniest Avatars 2014 2013 May 2013 - "Gay" (Sentence mix-core) May 2013 - Overall For your contribution to the favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. For winning November 2012's contest with your Pumkin Pie. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years I'LL HAVE TO GIVE MYSELF A PRRRROMOTION For defending the eternal walls of Fort Youchew from the dark forces of Lord Pimpsahoy 1000 page on GCT.
For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. KIRBEH. Thanks. Sonic birthday contest.

DiCarlo the Gr8

I fucking HATE when a character says, "At least it can't get any worse", and then some bad shit happens

Edited by DiCarlo the Gr8
For staying strike free for 1 year.

RGS

Ever since Fight Club, lots of movies and TV series keep doing the thing they did at the end.

Spoilers:

That one of the characters isn't real and it's actually the imagination of another character.

For the work you've done on the review of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo. For staying strike free for 1 year. For getting 20 awards For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Sentence mix-core) Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For having a blog featured For the Cool Cat Saves the Kids Collab, great job! Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For getting all the standard ornaments An Avid Collaborator is YOU! For participating in 10 successful collaborations. For going above and beyond with the Gamers Collab! For the Gamers Collab--CONGRATULAAAAATIONS! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

TugCoat

So you like or dislike that?

Personally I've never seen an instance of that I hated.

For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting 20 awards For getting all the standard ornaments For making da Youchew Pizza, mama-mia! Metroid Fusion 100% For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

RGS

So you like or dislike that?

Personally I've never seen an instance of that I hated.

I don't hate it but now it's too predictable.

For the work you've done on the review of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo. For staying strike free for 1 year. For getting 20 awards For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Sentence mix-core) Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For having a blog featured For the Cool Cat Saves the Kids Collab, great job! Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For getting all the standard ornaments An Avid Collaborator is YOU! For participating in 10 successful collaborations. For going above and beyond with the Gamers Collab! For the Gamers Collab--CONGRATULAAAAATIONS! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System