Tug

Your Unpopular Tastes in Movies/TV

614 replies to this topic

TVBForever

Gonna say it... I actually loved Punisher: War Zone a lot more that the Thomas Jane Punisher; even though that one was pretty good.

I have yet to see the series though.

Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018 (Classic) Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Heruru Meruru

I've tried multiple times to get into JJBA, but I just couldn't do it. Maybe the manga is better, but aside from a few moments in the first episode of Stardust Crusader, the animation is just so stiff and lifeless. Phantom Blood was okay and I like Dio but was rather bland otherwise, Battle Tendency tremendously suffered from "Tell, don't show" with its animation, it had a tendency to explain what's happening rather than just depicting it (Also Joseph got annoying after a while). Stardust Crusaders almost had me and the animation improved but it lost me since the plot was pretty much just stand user of the week with little character development. I'm gonna try Part 4 since everyone says it's the best, but if that doesn't work I'm not going to bother anymore. I don't hate it, each series has enjoyable moments, and it handles comedy and crazy over the top "did they really just do that?!" moments great but... It's just not living up to the hype and people treat the new adaptations like the pariah of modern anime even though I've seen way better shows. 

And another thing, the JJBA adaptation, plus a lot of stuff by Kyoto Animation (Free! is the biggest offender), suffer from "pretty art, stiff animation" syndrome. They focus too hard on making every frame look pretty and on model that the way they make them move is really rigid and lacks character.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

Judau
On 12.1.2018 at 11:16 PM, TVBForever said:

Gonna say it... I actually loved Punisher: War Zone a lot more that the Thomas Jane Punisher; even though that one was pretty good.

I have yet to see the series though.

You know what? I feel exactly the same way.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

truteal

94% of stuff Hanna-Barbera made was crap

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

GamingFan1997
3 minutes ago, truteal said:

94% of stuff Hanna-Barbera made was crap

What was the other 6%?

For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards

Sagan Blob

I actually liked the Saw franchise, as laughable as the sequels are.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of July 2017 Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017 (Sentence mix-core) / Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017 (Classic) It's a little itchy. For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards For taking 3rd Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest Top 10 Videos of Jul 2016 For participating in 10 successful collabs. Congrats!!! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

truteal
8 hours ago, GamingFan1997 said:

What was the other 6%?

2 Stupid Dogs, Fish Police and Cow and Chicken/I Am Weasel (and maybe some others, but most of Hanna-Barbera's work is mediocre at best)

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

The Pope

It's no secret Hanna Barbera made cartoons on the cheap and considered themselves a business before an actual entertainment industry a la Warner Bros. and Looney Tunes.

It's true that they created a lot of household names (Flinstones, Jetsons, Yogi, Jonny Quest, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo, etc.) but watch any of them today and not only are they painfully unfunny (with laugh tracks, why would you put a laugh track in a cartoon you hacks), but their animation budget is always cutting corners, not just with repeating backdrops but also with how they animated heads vs bodies. MovieBob did a pretty good breakdown of it a little while back.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

GamingFan1997

What about Tom and Jerry? That was created by Hanna Barbera as well.

For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards

Whelt

Tom and Jerry were theatrical shorts, so they had real animation. It's the TV animation that was ultra cheap.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
User with Funniest Avatars 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2018
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Nozdordomu

Here's one for the film buffs: I don't care for The Searchers. There are some really good scenes, and it's admirably complex for a 1950s Western, but more in theory than practice. The story as a whole is too disjointed, there's way too much comic relief in the middle that really doesn't fit in, and it's hard to care what happens to the lead, even if he's supposed to be an anti-hero (and that's debatable). I also don't care for John Wayne's performance in it.

I do love The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, though. That one deserves all the respect that people heap on The Searchers.

For getting 20 awards For being a part of the Recommended Poops of November 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

truteal
10 hours ago, GamingFan1997 said:

What about Tom and Jerry? That was created by Hanna Barbera as well.

Doesn't count (they were made by MGM, not Hanna-Barbera Studios)

H-B's animation wasn't my problem with their post-50s/pre-late 80s shows (like Scooby-Doo and its assorted spinoffs/ripoffs) it was the writing that made them terrible

Villainous is feh and the only reason why many people like it is because it's different than CN's modern day crop of shows (it feels like Deviantart: the animated series)

MemeKirisame

Gene Ditch's era for T&J seems surrealistically good to me for the reverbing sounds.

Best YouTube Pooper 2018 Best Newcomer 2018 For participating in the 2017 Chew or Treat! For being a part of the Recommended Poops of October 2017 Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (YTPMV) Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017_2 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

The Titan

Tron Legacy is my favorite movie 

I hate The Walking Dead TV show. People argue and zombies show up. Game of Thrones is also overrated

truteal
1 hour ago, MemeKirisame said:

Gene Ditch's era for T&J seems surrealistically good to me for the reverbing sounds.

It had its charm (the animation reminded me of Animafilm)

Liebermintz
On 3/8/2018 at 9:19 PM, MemeKirisame said:

The ultimate in hipster opinions: Gene Deitch's Tom and Jerry shorts are about as good as the Hanna-Barbera-led ones. It's just that people expect smoothly animated violence over UPA-style minimalism from a Tom and Jerry short - I like how he tried to approach the shorts' formula from an entirely different angle.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

The Pope

Speaking of Tom and Jerry, I have never, ever liked Tom and Jerry. Mainly because we're supposed to find Jerry all cute and adorable and ububububu and I detest his guts. I've brought it up from time to time over the years, but yeah, fuck Jerry, and fuck Tom and Jerry by extension.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

Tug

I'm not big on it either, but not for that reason.  It's hard to say exactly; I just always preferred its Looney Tunes counterparts like Roadrunner or Sylvester and Tweety personally.

For eloquently describing your thoughts on USA Today's article depicting YouTube Poops. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting 20 awards For getting all the standard ornaments For making da Youchew Pizza, mama-mia! Metroid Fusion 100% For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

The Pope

Honestly in general old-timey cartoons do very little for me. My flavor of cartoon will forever be Seasons 2-3 of SpongeBob. As lauded as "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" is as a bit, and rightfully so, for me the "Wumbo" bit is one of the greatest comedy routines of all time.

I wonder if a fall from this height would be enough to kill me.

BandanaBoi

I like Kirby:Right Back at Ya (and I'm talking about the 4kids dub, not the Japanese version) and I don't mean that I like it ironically or that it's just good, I mean that I actually really like it. It's funny, it's entertaining, the characters are great, etc. The show does have a few episodes that aren't the best like every TV show but other then that, it's a great show.

Best Newcomer 2018
User with Best Avatars 2018 Submitting 25 videos to the Video System I see you're enjoying those chips BWAAAH! Top 10 Videos of Jan 2018 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2018 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2018 (Brain rape/Rape-core) Hey, g-gimme a boost, Mario! It's even got my name on it! Top 10 Videos of Dec 2017 For participating in the Spooky Poop Contest 2017 For participating in Chew or Treat 2017 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System For being a part of the Recommended Poops of August 2017