• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
SharkhamAsylum

BoJack Horseman

69 replies to this topic

SharkhamAsylum   
SharkhamAsylum

I tried searching and I'm surprised this didn't already have a thread. Season 2 dropped on the 17th, and I loved every episode.

For those of you who haven't seen the show, the first 3-4 episodes of the first season are pretty meh, kind of slow, kind of bland, but then the series starts ramping up in quality with some major tone shifts as it settles into the real show.

For those of you that've seen the whole show, what did you think of Season 2? There were so many great jokes, and all the different character arcs were spectacular. The only major dip I felt was in the Hank Hippopopalous episode which, while good for the season's plot, got almost distractingly heavy-handed. Also, the Chicken 4 Dayz episode was hilarious but seemed much more self-contained than the rest of the season's episodes, not doing much to advance any individual character arcs.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

Billion   
Billion

Yeah the first few episodes alongside the Bill Cosby parody episode felt very preachy with no real payoff (though I'm holding out for anything to happen in the future if and when the Bill Cosby scandal actually goes anywhere) but I just caught up and I enjoy the series overall.

Actually, "enjoy" is a funny way to put it...Honestly it's one of the more depressing shows I've kept up with; there doesn't feel like there's any real payoff, since Bojack is stuck in this spiral of self pity while his accomplishments in the past two decades amount to very little. I suppose it's a take on how it juxtaposes his old sitcom role, where conflicts comically resolve themselves in a half-hour block. I could go on but either way it gives me enough to crave more, and I'm curious where the third season is headed. There's a lot of subtlety that goes on and I imagine anyone who can appreciate that (and power through the first few episodes) will go on to like the show.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog entry featured. User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years March 2014 - Classic You won! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down For uploading 5 videos into the Showroom. For completing at least 5 YTP Tennis matches. Gee, there sure is no time around here! My sword's for dinner.
YOU GET COOKIE

SharkhamAsylum   
SharkhamAsylum

How deep are you into Season 2? Honestly, I feel like Season 2 is so much more about the supporting cast. Their arcs seem to really land on their feet at the end of Season 2, while BoJack's just makes another leap.

Secretariat has wrapped up, but the movie became a shlocky shitheap after countless rewrites and BoJack's role was finished with digital animation while he was in New Mexico, so the "dream role" he's had for decades has left him feeling unfulfilled. However, a theatre role lined up by a writer from his yet-to-be-revealed "other show" means he'll be moving to New York City in the next season, which I'm excited for. I think that the next season will focus almost entirely on BoJack's new life (I think that Todd will move with him, since they finally made up in the finale, and BoJack trying to make a better friendship with Todd will probably be an ongoing theme) and maybe we'll get occasional cutaways to Princess Caroline's new talent agency.

Also, Princess Caroline was a queen for all of Season 2. I've been rooting for her the whole series and it felt so good for her to finally get what she wanted and to come to terms with herself and her goals. Fuck Peter Rutabega. What a fuckboy.

And speaking of subtlety, there are so many visual gags and background jokes and animal puns in this series and I love every single one. All Mr. PeanutButter's banners and shirts in the episode with Diane's party are golden.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

zoc   
zoc

It's one of the most heartbreaking shows I've seen in a long time. And I love it.

I still need to watch season 2, though.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

JazzDanceForChildren   
JazzDanceForChildren

I saw a couple of episodes over at a friend's place. I'd say the show has its moments and is definitely better than what I expected from a Netflix-exclusive series. But still, the writers' comedic bearings just seem...off at times. They throw a lot out there, but it doesn't seem like they always have the best sense of when something is actually funny and occasionally the show runs with something that obviously isn't. Like, that joke where his agent is dating a bunch of kids stacked on top of each other in a trenchcoat was barely funny enough to be a throwaway visual gag in a single scene, let alone a running joke that gets driven into the ground continuously over the course of several episodes without ever developing. The humor seems to be at its best when it's very subtle and doesn't attempt to rub the viewer's face in every single joke. The format of the show might work against itself because they just unload an entire season at once without having the time to gradually judge how each episode resonates with the audience and use that feedback to help distill the aspects of the show that work and give it a unique identity.

I could see checking out the rest of the show, but somehow I still feel like this could be one of those shows that experiences a serious decline in quality after it runs its course and they really have to start stretching the humor in order to hit the running time (which they don't even have a real need for considering it's on the internet).

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

SeductiveBaz   
SeductiveBaz

When I went through the first season last year I binge watched all the episodes back to back, which I never actually do with tv shows, I normally like to take my time. But I think that approach works really well Bojack, and I'm planning to do the same with season 2 when I get a day free. It works well in showing that gradual shift in tone in a more natural way, I think. If I watched them at a slower pace it maybe would have felt more jarring but instead it seemed to make perfect sense going from that goofy first episode with the wacky asshole horse to the penultimate dark night of the soul episode .

It's a perfect show for me because I'm really interested in characters like Bojack, the has-beens, the people at the end of the line hanging on, the people who seemingly have it all materially but have nothing at all emotionally.

Member with Funniest Posts 2017 For staying warn free for 9 years For getting 20 awards For completing Super Mario Bros. during our community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 2 during the community challenge event. August 2014 - "Seductive Haz Been" (Brain rape/Rape-core) Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, Member with Funniest Posts 2014, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Funniest Avatars.
User with Funniest Avatars 2014 March 2012 - Overall, Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 246 days before it was shut down Da I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THIS IS FOR! Ten. Five. 100% pink man For servicing all of us. Ribbit fuckin' Ribbit! For giving me a treat. Purr.

TV🅱️🅱️RA🅱️   
TV🅱️🅱️RA🅱️

It's official, this cracked my three favorite animated series, behind American Dad! and Rick and Morty. The show itself has a lot of fantastic messages with depression, especially with the main character, Bojack, who turns from a has-been to a memorable character. Season 2 was the best season in this series thus far. Can't wait for Season 3.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SharkhamAsylum   
SharkhamAsylum

@JazzDance I agree with you on some points, but disagree with your example. I thought that Vincent Adultman was one of the best gags of Season 1. However, it definitely did overstay its welcome in Season 2 but I understand that they couldn't just drop it out of nowhere.

I recommend that you keep watching, because Season 1 only gets better and better with each episode, and Season 2 is great despite two kind of middling episodes.

Also: I think my single favorite gag Season 2 was when:

Todd and the Dictator of Kordovia engage in a classic look-alike switcharoo plot almost entirely off-camera.

Either that, or "the elephant in the room" when BoJack and Wanda are arguing over auto-erotic asphyxiation. The "he's never going to forget that" sent it from good to great.

Life   
Life

Season 2 came out? Guess I'll have to renew my Netflix soon.

I watched season 1 with a friend last year and I liked it. The first few episodes were mediocre--just something decent to have on in the background while you're hanging out with people--but the huge tone shift really caught me off guard and I ended up loving it after that. 

The "tell me I'm good" scene in particular hit me on a personal level and made me feel like shit after watching it the first time.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Dopply   
Dopply

I watched the first episode after heavy recommendation (I made a post about it not too long ago, around December I think) and I thought this was absolute garbage, Family Guy-tier humor. I'm not one to go back and give shows a second chance or anything, but I respect just about everyone's opinion on media in this thread a lot and it's blowing my mind to see you guys praise it so much. A lot of people have said that it's actually a dark drama, which is fine, but man I truly disliked that first episode. What do you guys think?

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

EmmBee   
EmmBee

I would honestly keep going. If you can't tolerate the first three episodes, then yeah, maybe it's not for you.

As for me I've already finished season two. I like the show, but it's really fucking dark at times. I dunno what else to say, aside from the fact that you should really not watch the episode where Bojack trips (on acid I think?) while stoned because that'll just leave you confused and scared.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

Jayblin   
Jayblin

Like I said before when you initially posted that, the first few episodes are really rough and not truly indicative of what the show begins to morph into. Whoever tried to tell you this show is funny is not to be trusted. I can count the amount of times I laughed during the entire first season on one hand; assuming that hand was caught in a firework accident and only has four fingers now.

I really, really hate the expression "I know the beginning's a little weak, but it gets better!", but it's a perfectly apt description of Bojack Horseman. I'd even say the beginning episodes are necessary the way they are, clunky and awkward, so the way the show develops as it goes on really catches you off guard and makes it that more meaningful (I feel like such a tool for typing that sentence, but yabba dabba who gives a shit). Of course now you know it doesn't stay a dumb comedy the whole show run, and it won't mean as much to you if you do decide to give it another chance, so I don't really know if it's even worth picking back up.

It's a show I love dearly, but totally get why someone wouldn't.

For staying warn free for 9 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks for the donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013, Member with Funniest Posts 2015
Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years

JazzDanceForChildren   
JazzDanceForChildren

I watched the first episode after heavy recommendation (I made a post about it not too long ago, around December I think) and I thought this was absolute garbage, Family Guy-tier humor. I'm not one to go back and give shows a second chance or anything, but I respect just about everyone's opinion on media in this thread a lot and it's blowing my mind to see you guys praise it so much. A lot of people have said that it's actually a dark drama, which is fine, but man I truly disliked that first episode. What do you guys think?

I think as a general rule, pilots for animated comedies have a tendency to really suck because they're more about selling the idea of the show and simply proving that they can make a complete episode on their own. Crudely animated adult comedies have also just become an extremely crowded niche over the past decade, so if you just don't feel like watching yet another one of those then you can probably pass on this one. My impression has been that the makings of a good show are there and its strongest aspects make it stand out among its peers, but there's some still some awkward and unappealing bits that could definitely hurt the show if the writers decided to double down on those. The first season seems to have had a very mixed reaction whereas the second season seems to be much more positively received. I don't know if that's just because the only people who stuck around for the second season already liked it to begin with, but it definitely does feel like the kind of show that would improve if only given enough time to find its voice. I went in with really lukewarm expectations and the show exceeded them, but if I had really high expectations then I probably would have walked away disappointed. Maybe if you like the idea of the show then you should probably give it a little more time, but if you find most of it really unpleasant then you can stand to pass it over entirely.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

EmmBee   
EmmBee

A lot of what I like about Bojack is the background gags. Like humanoid vultures flying outside of a funeral, or a blind guy walking around with a humanoid German Shepherd.

The main TV news network being "MSNBsea" is way funnier to me than it probably should be.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

Billion   
Billion

How deep are you into Season 2?

I just caught up

Also, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but one subtlety I think I've found is how the F-bomb is never dropped unless Bojack really fucks up, which has evidently occurred twice on the show so far.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog entry featured. User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years March 2014 - Classic You won! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down For uploading 5 videos into the Showroom. For completing at least 5 YTP Tennis matches. Gee, there sure is no time around here! My sword's for dinner.
YOU GET COOKIE

EmmBee   
EmmBee

That is entirely intentional. It's really only ever saved for when things get serious.

TheOneManBoxOffice   
TheOneManBoxOffice

This is one show I need to get back to watching. I only watched a couple episodes, including the holiday special, and I think it's great. But from what I can see, aside from it being simply a comedy show, there's a lot of emotion put into it, and at times, I feel rather sorry for the character. Any animated movie or show that does something like that is worthy of my respect.

So, with that said, Netflix AWAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY......................!!!

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

NITROCONCRETE1   
NITROCONCRETE1

I haven't seen this show yet, but it's one I've wanted to see for a while.

Neat stuff. EYELASHES For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa 10 matches complete ! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! 5 Tennis Matches Completed! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Lotsa collabs Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos August 2013 - Overall, Classic For your interview with ProfessorCheeseBall. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos