P-Dash

Undertale

1,557 replies to this topic

Life

Well, the metacritic score is super skewed right now since there's only like ~5 reviews for it (unless you mean user reviews), but yeah it's really really good. Probably my GOTY right now.

I'd recommend playing it asap before anything gets inevitably spoiled for you tho

Wads of dosh Super Metroid complete Super Metroid Wave Beam early For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 3 years. For participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament! Know what I mean? Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For beating Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during our community challenge event. For finishing second place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Given for putting on the excellent Smash Bros Smackdown online tournaments, complete with prizes. Great work, we thank you for contributing to and pulling together the community! Coming in 1st in the Super Smash Tourney: Double Trouble! for Wii Uchew Thank you so much for your patronage. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for the donation Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

RedLuigi

It'll be my GOTY until the fanbase inevitably turns to utter shit a couple months from now and all discussion is about ships and OCs.

I don't think cloudsync works with Undertale. I've been deleting and editing save files like crazy, so I think it's pretty safe to do whatever without permanently affecting the save file.

I keep reading about how people's saves got perma-fucked from doing a Genocide run, to the point where even deleting and reinstalling doesn't fix anything, so I'm just playing it safe.

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaaayo! *Robotnik music* You've GOT a little penis... Strrrriiiike free. For Lucky Lottery.

TyrannosaurusReich

honestly i never let a fanbase ruin something for me. i mean, mugen for example has one of the worst fanbases ever, but i still love the fuck out of the game itself

as for undertale being my goty....eh, i'd still give that to cities skylines, but it's definitely up there at least.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

SlushBasedCupcakes

It'll be my GOTY until the fanbase inevitably turns to utter shit a couple months from now and all discussion is about ships and OCs.

It's already that on /v/ along with calling it a meme game, while /vg/ is pretty much 90% fnaf general and the other 10% is /v/ still trying to have actual discussion but eventually giving up due to all the asriel riding and goatmom stuff.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

P-Dash

Goatmom? PPFFFTTT So many other, better characters in the game now.

Best Improving Artist 2018 Super Metroid complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Prime 100% For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Cloaytonem2

I bet she can't even cook spaghetti.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the gold cards Bubblegum and taffy For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! It's a little itchy. "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For collecting all the bronze cards 2012 was six years ago minus two. The birds...the birds...the birds...thththth For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Ocarina of Waluigi during the community challenge. For completing Link's Awakening with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wand of Gamelon and The Faces of Evil during the community challenge. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For staying strike free for 5 years. For clearing all of the games required during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For clearing DDR: Mario Mix during the community challenge event & participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event.

For clearing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. May 2015 - "The Prophecy" (Regular) If he shoots ya For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! May 2014 - Overall, Regular For having a blog entry featured. For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos YOU WANT IT

Blightcopy

Played undertale a while ago, not a GOTY contender for me but i still had a fun time with it? When i first beat the game i was a lot more negative about UT, i think that's more because everyone i know is really hyped about this game and i let that get to me. That, and it's fanbase isn't the best right now.

But now i'm a lot more mellow towards it.

Best Artist 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 195 days before it was shut down

MrThisucks

It's all about them Temmies for me. I don't even think I'll do a genocide run if it means killing them

For staying strike free for 3 years. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System It's got you written all over it! Top 10 Videos of Dec 2016 For having a video featured in Recommended Poops of March 2015! Best Newcomer 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For getting all the standard ornaments Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hefty outrunning of non-atheletes is already an achievement.  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For writing 10089 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

HyperThermal

i don't think i shared this literal garbage i made with you guys

spoilers, kinda

tumblr_nvekljDogT1sk45e3o1_540.png

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SuperYoshi

I have a lot to say about this game that I'll probably never get around to saying, but this game unepexctedly and immediately beat out MGS 5 as being my game of the year and one of my favorites ever.  I've only beaten it once, with the true ending, but I'm not sure if I want to go neutral or even genocide the next time.  The sheer attention to detail as far as how the game reacts to who gets killed sort of entices me, even though I love all the characters.  What a wonderful game.

Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down

P-Dash

The final boss for the neutral path became one of my favorite boss battles ever.

Best Improving Artist 2018 Super Metroid complete Super Metroid early Reserve Tank Metroid Prime 100% For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Cloaytonem2

I love that boss, too. It's not that hard, nor is it as fun as some of the other bosses, but the initial reaction to the entirety of it is incredible.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For collecting all the gold cards Bubblegum and taffy For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! It's a little itchy. "Spare change? Spare change, ma'am?" For collecting all the bronze cards 2012 was six years ago minus two. The birds...the birds...the birds...thththth For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Ocarina of Waluigi during the community challenge. For completing Link's Awakening with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing The Wand of Gamelon and The Faces of Evil during the community challenge. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For staying strike free for 5 years. For clearing all of the games required during the community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards For clearing DDR: Mario Mix during the community challenge event & participating in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event.

For clearing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Wow! For completing Mario 1-3 & World for the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Sunshine 100% during a community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For completing the difficult task of achieving all A-ranks within the main game of Sonic Adventure 2. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. May 2015 - "The Prophecy" (Regular) If he shoots ya For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! May 2014 - Overall, Regular For having a blog entry featured. For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos YOU WANT IT

TyrannosaurusReich

Asgore

is probably my favorite boss so far, it's really fun and god DAMN that music is soooooo good. Of course all of the music in this game is great but his theme in particular stands out to me.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

SkyBlueFox

I watched another playthrough of the game the other day, and it gave me a weird sense. Not deja vu, but something else, something actually related to the game itself.

There's some weird, intangible quality to Undertale that I just can't put into words. A lot of people have made the "Under-Cave Tale-Story" joke, but there really is something about UT that gives me the same feelings I get/got when I play Cave Story. The way the areas transition, how small it is yet how big it comes off as, the way the whole world makes sense and is self-contained, despite having visual variety and transitioning between vastly different areas... the way the different bosses, endings and such all feel distinct and disconnected with each other, yet still are connected in this way or that. Going to a high-tech CORE with heart-pumping music and then moving into a castle-esque area with a slow guitar track. A small, but tightly focused cast of characters, and many encounters unique to each area. A similar atmosphere - bright colors, cute characters and fun gameplay, but with a certain sadness or darkness to it at times.

Of course, Cave Story doesn't have the meta elements that Undertale does, but there's just some kind of je ne sais quoi to both games that manages to evoke a whole lot of something. I guess the best way I can describe it is that when I play/ed Cave Story, by the end of the game, I really felt like I'd been on a short-long, big-small adventure through all of its areas. Undertale, going from the Ruins all the way to the endgame, gives me the same feeling.

Lucario For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 12976 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For his premier article "A Brief History of Minecraft: From the Creative Mode to Ender Dragons" For being on the Vanilla forums for 90 days before it was shut down

Powder

I so wanna buy this game but i have no fucking money ;-;

sans and papyrus are hilarious as shit

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Did someone say Thanks for being Strike-Free for three years! Keep it up! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

SuperYoshi

I threw up words on Tumblr regarding my own personal interpretation regarding the plot and several specific characters and I'm going to throw up here too

There’s a reason the game tricks you into putting your own name in for “The Fallen Human” in the very beginning.  The fallen human – or, Chara – is you.  You play the game assuming the player character – or, Frisk – is you only for that role to be switched, and truly only found out in the pacifist ending.  In this sense, you are the malevolent child who takes pleasure in hurting others.  And this comes full-circle when doing – or watching (I’ll get to that later) – a genocide run.

Given the fact that Chara and Frisk look so similar to each other, and Frisk arrives at the exact point Chara was initially buried, it can be assumed that Frisk is a reincarnation of Chara.  Not only this, but it can also be assumed that the six other children were reincarnations of Chara, in other timelines – perhaps, “playthroughs”, if you will.  However, with this, Frisk is now a blank slate, free to do as you will.  You can choose to be kind and loving to everyone in the game – even Flowey –; you can choose to kill only those you see fit, or accidentally; or you can just flat out kill everybody because you feel like it.  And now this is where things get interesting.

I believe that, in some sense, Flowey and Sans represent Toby Fox himself.  Both characters are fully aware that this is just a game and that everything goes back to normal when you reset, but both take dramatically different viewpoints on it.

From the beginning, Flowey is the one egging you on to kill or be killed.  Only during a genocide run, however, does he comment on the fact that he knows none of this really matters since it can all be reset, but he mocks not only your genuine curiosity as to what would happen if [x] character dies, but also the fact that you don’t really feel anything about it at all.  Because it’s just a game.  These characters don’t exist.  No matter if we love them, hate them, spare them, or kill them, they only exist in the entity of the game itself.  They’re just bits of data that you can reset to a clean slate, and even modify if you go into the game’s files, should you be willing.  He’s the side of the creator that revels in your pleasure – or, rather, apathy, as the genocide run shows that Frisk is basically just plowing through the game without any expression on their face.

“It all started because I was curious.  Curious what would happen if I killed them.  'I don’t like this,’ I told myself.  'I’m just doing this because I HAVE to know what happens.‘“

This dialogue from Flowey shows up in a genocide run shortly before Asgore and opens up a few questions.  Bear in mind that it is Flowey who reminiscing his curiosity of killing them.  Could this mean that, for every playthrough, the previous player becomes Flowey?  Or could this simply be the remorse of the game’s creator for putting these kind of options in the first place?  Flowey then goes on to say something even more interesting…

“Ha ha ha…  What an excuse!  You of all people must know how liberating it is to act this way.  At least we’re better than those sickos that stand around and WATCH it happen…  Those pathetic people that want to see it, but are too weak to do it themselves.  I bet someone like that’s watching right now, aren’t they…?”

It’s fairly obvious what Flowey is saying here.  He’s talking about what many people, including myself, have done.  We can’t bring ourselves to kill all these beloved characters by our own hands, so we watched someone else do it on Youtube.  In an emotional sense, it really isn’t any different.  It’s still terrible to even want to know what happens if you kill all of these characters, but that’s what Flowey was talking about initially.  It’s our genuine curiosity that makes us fall down that path.  I also found it interesting that Asriel only truly comes out during the genocide path, begging you not to kill him.  It is only at this one instance that you hear Asriel’s “voice” in the text.

Now Sans, on the other hand…  Sans is a very mysterious character.  Sans is a very kind character who cares deeply about everyone in the game, including you, unless you hurt his friends and family.  But not accidentally, only if you deliberately choose to do so.  

Sans is fully aware of just about every bad action you take in each playthrough – or “timeline” as the game calls it.  He’s aware of this and he hates it.  

“sounds strange, but before all this i was secretly hoping we could be friends.  i always thought the anomaly was doing this cause they were unhappy.  and when they got what they wanted, they would stop all this.  and maybe all they needed was…  i dunno, some good food, some bad laughs, some nice friends.  but that’s ridiculous, right?  yeah, you’re the type of person who won’t EVER be happy.  you’ll keep consuming timelines over and over, until… well.  hey.  take it from me, kid.  someday…  you gotta learn when to QUIT.  and that day’s TODAY”

He’s fully aware that you’re going to keep playing the game over and over again, killing the people he loves, just to satisfy a sick curiosity.  And he doesn’t like it one bit and tries his hardest to stop you.  Naturally, Sans is the hardest boss in the game by an incredibly large margin.  All this, combined with the way he speaks – Papyrus and Mettaton both speak in all-caps, which is generally interpretted as shouting, but Sans is the only character who speaks without the usage of capital letters, much like how someone would speak to a friend online – and the fact that he knows the game’s rules inside and out, even tricking you into staying stuck on his turn during the final moments of his fight before he falls asleep, leads me to believe that Sans is Toby Fox’s own self-insert into the game.  These are his characters you’re murdering and he won’t take it sitting down.  Adding to this, the theme when you fight Sans, MEGALOVANIA, is Toby’s signature song.  What better place to put it in Undertale?

This is made even more perplexing when, during a pacifist run, he may or may not give you the key to his room, which can also lead to a hidden laboratory; inside is a photo of Sans with “a lot of people you don’t recognize”, “some kind of badge”, blueprints that you can’t interpret that presumably go to “some kind of strange machine”, as well as said “strange machine” that is under a curtain and appears to be broken.  Part of me thinks maybe the machine is the game itself and that the blueprints might be the game’s code.  But the fact that it’s broken kind of throws a wrench in all that.

I didn’t start thinking about this until reading Toby’s twitter posts.  This one in particular is what made me think about all this:

i love when people love sans

Notice especially that everything on Toby’s twitter is exactly how Sans writes.  Maybe I’m looking too much into the game and maybe I’m even making the game too meta, but this is a very, very meta game.

But these are just my dumb thoughts.

I love this game so much

Edited by SuperYoshi
Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down

SkyBlueFox

That honestly sounds like a pretty plausible theory to me, though having played Ultima and seen Garriot's own self-inserts, maybe I'm simply used to it. I kind of put a little of myself into all my characters in my own writing too (some more than others), so it wouldn't surprise me.

He shows up other places, too. There's obviously the secret door in Snowdin with the dog sleeping on the blanket that "needs patching", but also note the name of the mountain itself that the game takes place in. If anything, the latter makes me think about how he kept all the monsters to himself/underground for so long, and now that the game's finally released, he's letting his creations go free. It's a nice thought.

Lucario For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 12976 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For his premier article "A Brief History of Minecraft: From the Creative Mode to Ender Dragons" For being on the Vanilla forums for 90 days before it was shut down

TyrannosaurusReich

I'm actually surprised you love this game as much as you do, SY, it never really seemed like your kind of game to me

certainly not complaining though

MrThisucks

I just youtubed the endings because I kept getting the same ending and now I regret it

For staying strike free for 3 years. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System It's got you written all over it! Top 10 Videos of Dec 2016 For having a video featured in Recommended Poops of March 2015! Best Newcomer 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For getting all the standard ornaments Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hefty outrunning of non-atheletes is already an achievement.  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For writing 10089 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos