P-Dash

Undertale

1,557 replies to this topic

Whelt
8 minutes ago, The Pope said:

Sukeban also said something about Nintendo apparently not wanting M games on the Switch right now

Uh

Bayonetta, Isaac, Doom, Skyrim, Wolfenstein, LA Noire? Resident Evil?? That's BS, lol. Whatever the reason may be, it's not because Nintendo has something against M rated games. Not anymore, anyway.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
User with Funniest Avatars 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015
Friendliest User 2015
Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2018
Most Helpful Member 2018
Smartest User 2018
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018
Most Likely to Rule the World 2018 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The Pope

That's the excuse Sukeban used, so I don't know what the hell is going on then. Nintendo seems much more open to third party games these days, so I really see no reason why it can't happen.

Would I buy VA-11 Hall-A again to play on Switch? Er...yeah, probably, to be honest.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

VGFM

There's no way in hell Undertale would be M-rated.

I'm pretty sure lack of GameMaker support is the main issue.  I also recall hearing a rumored statement from Toby Fox that he wouldn't want to make a game for a Nintendo system that didn't take full advantage of their functionality (i.e. the 3DS's 3D or Wii U/Switch tablets or motion control, etc.).

The main reason the PS4/Vita versions even exist is because Toby wanted to translate the game into japanese and releasing it on console was a way to reach a broader Japanese audience than just translating the PC version (since PC gaming isn't big in Japan).  I'm guessing the Switch was barely a blip on anyone's radar when the console versions of UT were planned, and the Wii U's playerbase would've been smaller than Sony's.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your contribution to YouChew's favorite Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog episodes. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

The Pope

The M-rated thing was in regards to VA-11 Hall-A.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

KingHeavy

I can sum up my opinion on this game nowadays with my recent review on Steam:

”In my opinion, this game hasn't aged really badly in terms of gameplay.

The game's combat gets repetitive very quickly and random encounters happen way too often.

There's a ton to like about the game such as the soundtrack and characters, so I would still recommend the game if you wanna do a blind playthrough.

If you wanna watch a let's play online, at least support Toby by buying the soundtrack or merch.”

For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of May 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

G ☆

I mean, it's kinda hard for a game that came out 2 years ago to "age badly".

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Member with Funniest Posts 2018 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Sentence mix-core) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Classic) The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

The Pope

Is it?

o9i2oJL.jpg

(though to be fair it didn't "age" as much as "start bad and stay bad")

G ☆

I mean more of in the sense that if something was good "for the time" and didn't get any worse, it hasn't really aged, and 2 years is a short time to determine whether or not something has aged poorly unless you're Bethesda.

Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Member with Funniest Posts 2018 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Sentence mix-core) / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018_2 (Classic) The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. The- Collab; 93 minutes and 55 unique entrants. For getting all the standard and limited ornaments For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Spirit of YouChew Award 2018 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

KingHeavy

What I was trying to say was that at the game doesn’t hold up to the praise it got back in 2015.

I think that’s mainly because there weren’t a lot of games like it at the time. But now that we have games like OneShot and DDLC, which did the whole concept of “characters breaking the 4th wall and manipulating the game” much better than Undertale did, Undertale isn’t really special anymore.

For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of May 2016 For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

SuperYoshi

I don't think games mimicking Undertale should have any effect on Undertale's quality on its own.  OneShot's free version actually predates Undertale by quite a bit and has very little to do with Undertale besides taking over some Windows aspects like Undertale does. I played all the way through the Steam version and although I liked it well enough, it left me with a very empty feeling after playing it, as if the game wasn't properly finished. I know the game got patched some time ago but I have no idea what it added and quite honestly I haven't been in the mood to play it over again to see what got changed.  I haven't played DDLC and I'm not really interested in those sort of games but it also doesn't seem like a game that could 'replace' Undertale as far as the fourth wall aspect ratios go.  I know there's a very similar dating sim-esque game to DDLC that also predates Undertale by several years that actually has a jumpscare in Windows itself after you close the game, but I'm completely drawing a blank on the title of the game.  That being said, even if a game 'replaced' Undertale, so to speak, I don't think that would have any bearing on Undertale's quality as its own game.  Just the way I see games as a whole, though.  Like, mechanically, graphically, and thematically MGS 2 is a far better game than MGS 1, but that doesn't make MGS 1 any less than a 5/5 game to me.*

Speaking of which, I'm hoping now that Toby's openly spoken about how much Moon: Remix RPG Adventure inspired Undertale that it puts the English translation back into gear since it's been years since that project got put on hold, and as far as I know all they need to do is fix some bugs here and there and besides that the translation and the implementation of the English text is pretty much done.  It's one of those games where I don't want to play it in Japanese with my beginner's-level knowledge since a friend of mine who's fluent told me the game relies on heavy worldplay that you'll miss out on if you're not totally familiar with the language.  But if the wait keeps going on and on and I'm going to have to bite the bullet and play it in Japanese for myself.  It's a truly incredible game and anyone remotely interested in Undertale should look into it.

• *I need to reach my MGS mention quota somehow, okay?
Wads of dosh For staying warn free for 9 years For your immense generosity. Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For having your blog entry featured. 2013, Smartest User 2014, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Smartest User 2015 2013, User with Coolest Avatars 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2014 2013
User with Coolest Signatures - 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years February 2012 - "I'D SAY HE'S HOT ON OUR TAIL" (Overall, Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 15 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 243 days before it was shut down

Girla PurpleHeart

To me, I think UnderTale replaces Five Nights At Freddy's series because the storyplot was more heartwarming and more challenging when it comes to characters. I like FNAF and UnderTale characters because they have a backstories, and since I've been watching too many cartoons and anime, I think characters with storyplots are pretty much what got me into loving UnderTale (thanks to Joel from Vinesauce team, who happens to stream that game couple years back). Right now, I think Cuphead is trying to replace UnderTale, but I don't think I'll be able get into Cuphead anytime soon (and I probably should wait until the hype is died down, since I heard the game looks pretty good and since I love cartoons, I need to give a game a try sometime in the future, but not right now).

As for UnderTale coming to Switch, I don't think that's going to happen because like people said, Switch doesn't support GameMaker gaming codes, Toby has to do the coding all over again just to get the game into Switch, and as for ESRB ratings, I say the game should be rated T.

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

G ☆
2 hours ago, KingHeavy said:

I think that’s mainly because there weren’t a lot of games like it at the time. 

Bravely Default, The Stanley Parable, Thomas Was Alone, Spec Ops: The Line, Bioshock, Metal Gear Solid 1 and 2, The Talos Principle, Eternal Darkness, etc. are just a handful of games famous for their take on the fourth wall that existed before Undertale. Breaking the fourth wall is like the oldest trick in the book for writing theoretically compelling video game stories. I think this is mostly due to the fact that video games are kind of a niche genre for storytelling, and not a lot of compelling stories can be portrayed in video games and video games only, therefore fourth-wall references and commentary/satire of the medium is an incredibly popular storytelling tactic for video games. Obviouslt not all of the games I've listed are entirely comparable to Undertale or center their entire story around direct fourth-wall breaking, but my point is that it's a common tactic and Undertale was far from the first of its kind. 

That's honestly the main reason why I was skeptical of Undertale at first, since I was so numb to games treating me as if I was my player character and being hailed as innovative just for being self-aware and making heavy-handed commentary on the nature of video games. I think the thing that sets Undertale apart from, say, Stanley Parable is really just good writing and knowing when/when not to go overboard with its self-awareness. The game knows to confine its meta-aspects to the universe itself, and actually acknowledges it as a sort of phemomena the player character possesses as opposed to directly addressing the player themselves, even if it's very easy to interpret a lot of the dialogue that way when there are really only a couple exceptions, and not really major ones either.

I haven't played Oneshot, but as for Doki Doki, I honestly didn't like it much at first for its similarities to Undertale and not really imposing the same limits on its meta-writing that Undertale did, but after thinking on it, I eventually acknowledged that they're still different games at heart in spite of some similarities. 

Spoiler

Like yeah, you can say that Monika and Flowey are both very similar villains, but their arcs are different when it comes down to it, and again, depend on the way the game handles its fourth-wall awareness; Flowey mistakes Frisk for Chara (I think? It's been a while since I played tbh) and thus is always referring to Frisk rather than outright saying that someone's behind the screen, whereas Monika's depression induced by her awareness that she's just part of a game makes the acknowledgement of the player crucial to her character arc.

Tldr, basically what SuperYoshi said, I don't think it's fair to declare Undertale obsolete by default just because other games use fourth-wall references as a storytelling tactic.

KingHeavy

Alright, to kill this thread again once and for all I'll say this:

Undertale is a good game, I don't enjoy playing the game myself and if you like it, respect my opinion and move on.

zoc

...but no one was actually disrespecting your opinion?

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

The Pope

I believe this has been mentioned elsewhere in regards to Undertale and DDLC, but

Spoiler

in Undertale, you can theoretically say everything works in-universe (e.g. SAVE is just time reversal powers, Flowey making vague remarks about how their world is like a game, etc) and that we as viewers simply interpret it as fourth-wall breaking, whereas in DDLC, Monika outright states "I'm in a video game, you're not the protagonist, funk me eeyore".

The main differentiation that is often lost is breaking the fourth wall vs metanarrative. Metanarrative is where a piece plays with established tropes of a medium and makes you go "Hah! This thing is secretly talking about the medium! I get it!" Fourth wall breaking is where the piece turns to the camera and goes "HELLO VIEWER, THIS IS FICTION, HI HOW'S IT GOIN". For example, The Big Short breaks the fourth wall every now and again to have Ryan Gosling, Margot Robbie, etc. talk to the viewer. Meanwhile, the Star Wars sequel trilogy (at least thus far) is a metanarrative about Star Wars itself, its place in pop culture, fandom, and so on. Undertale and BioShock are metanarratives; they make you think "Ha! This game knows it's a game. It sure is smart!" while DDLC and Bravely Default say "Hello player, this is a game, funk me longears" (which is all the more reason why the bit with Airy in the "good ending" of Bravely Default gets me so fucking mad but that's for another time).

But yeah, metanarratives and fourth-wall breaking are just tools in the toolbox. They don't inherently make a work good or bad; like all tools, it's all about the implementation. Undertale, DDLC and BioShock (fight me G) all do their stuff excellently. Bravely Default...well, it's a very good game, but it thinks it's way smarter than it is, all while insulting the player. Funk you, owl.

zoc
Spoiler

funk you, my little palleroo, -flowey!

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

KingHeavy
11 minutes ago, zoc said:
  Hide contents

funk you, my little palleroo, -flowey!

*little paisano
sBcbUYN.png

EggSoldier

And my business partner BOB

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 3 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year