• Eth: SW-8360-8266-3521
  • SushieBoy: SW-4980-9958-4577
  • EmmBee: SW-2629-4977-4088
  • Whelt: SW-7706-9054-1318
  • Misselaineous10: SW-2317-6601-0622

** Original OP **

Spoiler

AM I CLAIRVOYANT? You decide below:

Ah yes, it's time for another YouChew tradition, where we make a thread about a system that still has a codename, discuss the rumors and the thread inevitably takes off when more details are discussed and becomes the place to discuss the system when it's out and post friend IDs and all that. Isn't that amazing? We have a good history of that...it's fascinating to look at the 3DS, Wii U, Xbox One and PS4 threads, to see how it evolved over time from rumors, to announcement, to present. Benefit of being a forum that remembers everything, eh? Can't wait to see what this thread will look like!

I know there's not a ton to discuss right now...oh hell, that's a lie! The Wii U is a failure by a large margin, so it's neat to think of what Nintendo will do next. Will the rumors of it being a hybrid system be true (handheld and home console, to finally combine their two separate arms and play to all of their strengths)? Does it truly have 'industry leading' chips? Will these chips make it more powerful than the Bone/PS4 or will it surpass them? Is Nintendo too late? When will it release...2016 (4 years) or 2017 (5)? Announcement at E3, you think? What about Nintendo's mobile strategy?

Discuss away! 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

I kind of think this one will be gimmick-free. Everyone turns off the 3DS's 3D, it has a model revision without the effect, plus people were confused or not interested in the GamePad.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For finishing third place during the YouChew Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

I think people should quit making assumptions with absolute assurance about the system, when we know absolutely nothing about it besides the fact that it's a dedicated console. Nintendo could be hiding pretty much anything under their sleeve at this point.

That's not to say we shouldn't speculate, though.

For getting 20 awards For meeting Jintai! User with Funniest Avatars 2016 For getting all the standard ornaments For clearing Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga during our community challenge event & placing 6th in the Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For staying strike free for 3 years. For clearing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. of the DK Crew. Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos for participating in ten excellent collaborations For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For getting first place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! ChewChew Rocket! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos December 2013 - Overall, Regular Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

The only thing I can safely assume about the thing is that it will... probably be talked about at E3 next year, and maybe released in 2017 at earliest.

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The only thing I worry about is that it will be yet another underpowered system when compared to the competition. I understand Nintendo's philosophy of gameplay > graphics and such, but the fact is, if the console isn't powerful enough, nobody is going to want to develop and release games on it and it shows, with how little support there is on the Wii U from third-party developers. The huge success of the Wii was a complete fluke, IMO; they couldn't rely on the casual crowd anymore with Wii U (even though they tried at first) and they couldn't convince anyone outside of hardcore Nintendo fans to buy it. I think if Nintendo wishes to succeed with the NX, they need to make it more powerful than the Xbone and PS4, they can't just be on the same level of power. 

For staying warn free for 9 years For getting in the Bronze Tier donation group For getting 20 awards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For clearing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event & placing 5th in our Mario Madness Mario Kart 8 tournament. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 3 & Knuckles during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. For completing the Chao Race challenge during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For having your blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down Here you go! For unique dedication to the... rabbit... girl scorpion things. Oh look, what clever users. Kingplatypus: Bulletproof.

I don't want another under powered console with a shitty gimmick either. I hope Nintendo's new president starts cracking the whip and chopping off heads over there.

For collecting all the silver cards Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the bronze cards Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Nice Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years and stronger, too Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years October 2012 - Overall October 2012 - "Dragin' Ballz 2 : The Collectable Card Game Killing Spree " (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

But will the third parties come back to Nintendo? Not likely, not with the policies and online infrastructure in place right now.

Nintendo doesn't 'need' third parties to 'succeed'...but if they want mainstream dominance again, you better bet they have to have them.

The mobile/home combo thing is a surefire bet. Maybe like the Wii U gamepad but sold as an optional unit for backwards compatibility? If the graphics are going to be 'top of the line' like the rumors suggest, then the portable device would have to be some kind of streaming hardware like the Wii U gamepad, but able to tether to WiFi or Bluetooth through your phone, or something, I dunno what they're planning. Sure, they could add lesser hardware into the portable unit and have it run a lesser version of the game, but nobody wants that.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Their best bet is honestly just making the new console as backwards compatible as possible and drop the gimmicks. If what I've read is true, the Wii U is based off of Wii hardware, and of course the Wii is just a Gamecube, so the support is still there. People have even hacked the Wii U to run Gamecube games and they supposedly run almost perfectly. And with the Gamecube controller adapter, you can have a way to use the controllers without the need for ports on the console. So basing the NX off of the Wii U hardware could allow for the best backwards compatibility we've ever seen. By allowing you to play Wii U games on the NX, people who adopted the system can still take all of their games, even their Gamepad, over to the NX. This ensures that Wii U games also will have a reasonable lifespan, like Splatoon.

That's just what I feel would be best. Probably nowhere near how it actually works though, as I imagine having Gamepad support might be an issue with memory.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

Based on their comments about the NX being both an actual physical console as well as "a Wii U, mobile and 3DS-compatible platform", I can kinda expect it to be something like the nVidia Shield or what have you. An Android-based OS sounds very much like a possibility, with maybe some proprietary hardware that provides backwards compatibility with Wii and Wii U software. CPUs have gone a loooong way since the Wii U came out in 2012; the sole fact that my current phone has an 8-core CPU and 3GB of RAM is still absolutely mindblowing to me.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

People have even hacked the Wii U to run Gamecube games and they supposedly run almost perfectly.

So the reason why this works the way it does is because the Wii U is literally a beefy Wii/GameCube. It's still on PowerPC architecture, albeit heavily modified. If they wanted to compete with the big boys/have games easily portable, they'd have to drop it and go with x64/x86. This would ruin compatibility....buuuuut, you could have hardware abstraction (the 360 was also on PowerPC and it runs 'emulated' through the Xbox One in a way similar to this, though this was a miraculous, expensive and extremely difficult software engineering feat. something I very much doubt Nintendo would do even if it meant keeping literally a decade's or more worth of backwards compatibility).

I don't think backwards compatibility will be kept. It would be great, to keep a majority of Nintendo's library (virtual console and up) always available and on one system, but it's just not realistic. The PPC architecture is very outdated and does not bode well for optimization of major graphics engines (see: any last gen third party port that runs worse on the Wii U despite having technically better specs than either the 360 or PS3).

<br />
<br />
Good work!

I don't feel like I need BC anymore anyway. My Wii and Wii U aren't going anywhere, they'll still be around when the next thing comes out.

Nintendo has had the best track record out of any console manufacturer when it comes to BC, though, so maybe they'll try. Who knows.

Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

So I guess the Wii U will be to the NX what the Gamecube was to the Wii?

People were confused or not interested in the GamePad.

I think the Wii U Gamepad is the best controller of any console after the Xbox 360's.

For the work you've done on the review of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo. For staying strike free for 1 year. For getting 20 awards For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Sentence mix-core) Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For having a blog featured For the Cool Cat Saves the Kids Collab, great job! Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For getting all the standard ornaments An Avid Collaborator is YOU! For participating in 10 successful collaborations. For going above and beyond with the Gamers Collab! For the Gamers Collab--CONGRATULAAAAATIONS! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Well,  they  Might be able to create another thing maybe Im guessing Late 2016 early 2017. There are a very smart people to make these awesome systems.

I think we can all agree on what contributed to Wii U's subpar performance. Poor marketing, not very many highly anticipated launch titles, and very little third party support. Nothing wrong with having something that sets you apart from the competition, but I think the fact the WiiU wasn't as powerful as the Bone and PS4, hurt it greatly in the multiplat area; its online infrastructure hasn't helped matters either. Its name and Ad campaigns confused the casual market that dominated the Wii's audience on whether this was an addon, upgrade, or and entirely new console, so the biggest crowd that was drawn in were gamers, primarily hardcore Nintendo fans, and even that market had some holdouts because of the lackluster launch window.

It's too early to speculate and make assumptions, but I'm hoping Nintendo can learn from some of these mistakes and turn things around with the NX. With what little we know about the project, I don't expect it to be out earlier than 2017.  Maybe Holiday 2016 if we're REALLY lucky. 

I'm interested in seeing if anyone will create any elaborate April Fools jokes to fuel speculation.  Anyone remember the NintendoOn video back when the Wii was still going by its "Revolution" code name?

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Designing card #41 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 252 days before it was shut down Enjoy your Kirby!

I get the feeling that is going to be a VR device, Nintendo has experience in VR, they know what not to do.

Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

I assume they're gonna have a bundle with the Nintendo NX.

For staying strike free for 1 year. For collecting all the bronze cards Best Newcomer 2016

Would the NX be also compatible with the Wii games?

For the work you've done on the review of Kanye West's The Life of Pablo. For staying strike free for 1 year. For getting 20 awards For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Majora's Mask during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Sentence mix-core) Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For having a blog featured For the Cool Cat Saves the Kids Collab, great job! Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Submitting 25 videos to the Video System For getting all the standard ornaments An Avid Collaborator is YOU! For participating in 10 successful collaborations. For going above and beyond with the Gamers Collab! For the Gamers Collab--CONGRATULAAAAATIONS! Spooky Poop 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Well since Wii was created by Nintendo, yes.