• Announcements

• Dopply

YouChew's the Best of the Year 2016   02/08/2017

Hello everyone, it's time for our annual media-based award ceremony. Click here to cast your nominees for your best-of-the-year picks!  
Dopply

Nintendo Switch Thread

1,620 posts in this topic

Would the NX be also compatible with the Wii games?

It's not impossible, but I find it unlikely.

If it doesn't at least have Wii U compatibility, however, I get the feeling that might bite the NX in the ass.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years donation_award_notes For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

The PS4 isn't backwards compatible with the PS3 and it's doing fine.

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

The PS4 was sold by brand name (and Micro$oft fuck-ups) before any games were out. It's only now that people are having a problem with no backwards compatibility on it overall.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For getting 20 awards For collecting all the bronze cards For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Organizing and completing the Harkinian League Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For being a super teammate Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

The SNES, N64, GameCube and DSi didn't have much in the way of backwards compatibility either, and all of them sold like hotcakes as well. Well, maybe not so much the GameCube, but still...

Backwards compatibility is a reaaaally finnicky and complex topic that people got very used to thanks to the entire Game Boy line featuring the same CPU, as well as the PS2 and early PS3 straight up featuring a hardware copy of their predecessor consoles on the motherboard, a costly process that bit Sony in the ass early on. That being said, with the GC, Wii and Wii U all sharing the same PowerPC architecture, and as proven with projects like Dolphin on PC, the idea of keeping backwards compatibility with Wii and Wii U titles stays a strong possibility.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

There's a number of reasons I think it's more important than ever with the NX.

Splatoon and Mario Maker are games that rely heavily on an internet connection to be played. To get the longest lifespan out of them, you'd need to be able to play them on the NX, too.

Assuming the NX really does release sometime next year, that would mean you'd have a little over a year of Mario Maker before the NX comes along, and if you're not able to play Wii U games on the NX, that would mean you'd have to keep the Wii U and NX plugged in at all times, or, play one of them exclusively on the gamepad in a worst-case scenario where you simply don't have room.

Addtionally, if the NX isn't backwards-compatible, it'll quite possibly shorten the life-span of the online modes of these games, leaving everyone with only the short single-player campaign in Splatoon, or being stuck with their own individual levels and the test levels in Mario Maker, assuming nobody figures out how to replicate the servers for these games.

Plus, there's a good reason from a purely business standpoint, they wouldn't be able to sell these great games to the people who didn't get a Wii U but did get an NX. If NX has backwards compatibility, they can milk even more profit from the market they failed to tap during this current gen.

Now, they could do remasters, or ports, but it would waste effort that could be used in making new games specifically for the NX. I think Wii U support is really neccesary for the NX, and if this becomes the first console gen for Nintendo since the Gamecube where there's no backwards compatibility, it's gonna hurt. I know it'll probably turn me off from the NX.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years donation_award_notes For having a blog featured Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Yeah, to be honest backwards compatibility is something they should do if not only just to avoid making Wii U adopters feel betrayed. Splatoon has taken off and now Mario Maker is too, not to mention Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros. It would end kind of like the Saturn did in Japan, where there was a sizable following that felt backstabbed by the sudden jump to the Dreamcast.

All of those games could live on.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

A five year lifespan for a console was pretty normal until last gen, which was incredibly stretched out and honestly overstayed its welcome. However, last gen was also the first time that online play really became a thing, so maybe in that sense the longer lifespan was justified. As for games like Smash, Splatoon, and Super Mario Maker, I imagine Nintendo will keep the Wii U's servers alive for at least one or two years after the launch of NX. After all, the Wii and DS online services didn't go down until mid 2014, and the Wii U launched in 2012.

If I'm still playing Splatoon when the Wii U's online inevitably goes down, I'll be all right with that as long as there's a sequel ready not long after. It's Nintendo's most ambitious online game yet, and the only one where you need to play online to get any value out of it. Even with Super Mario Maker you can at least make levels to play with your friends locally, and Smash obviously thrives with local play. But you can't do anything interesting in Splatoon after the campaign without being online. I think a next gen sequel is a better solution than just supporting the first game until interest totally dies out, and it would give them a chance to fix some of the fundamental problems.

DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

The only reason the Wii went offline I think is because the servers they were hosted on were being taken offline. They were hosted on the same servers as GameSpy.

If Nintendo had a choice, I bet they'd have kept them up at least a little while longer.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For competing in the Mario Party 2 Netplay Tournament. Know what I mean? For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For clearing Sonic 3 during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic Adventure 2 during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For taking second place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos May 2013 - Sentence mix-core, Classic youtube poop the hedgehog Congratulations! For placing fourth in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 225,000 Chewbucks!

There's that too, so it's likely that Wii U's online will last even longer. Of course, backwards compatibility would be the best thing, so NX adopters could still play Wii U games online even if they don't still have a Wii U.

DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

It would be wise on Nintendo's part to place a MUCH higher internal memory capacity in the NX than what the Wii U has, even with externals being a thing.  With how many discs my niece and nephews have scratched for their Wii U, digital downloads are becoming more appealing to my sister. Better yet, have physical copies come bundled with a digital download code so we don't have to pay for a game all over again if the disc gets scratched! Movie studios already do something like that. But how to address piracy concerns? Link the purchase to the user's NNID?

As for me, I just want to be able to use my external to access my save files on other user's consoles. Nintendo can keep paid digital content locked to the user's NNID if they must, but don't force us to lug our entire console over to a friend's just to share our progress in a game! It's a really stupid thing to have to do when your friend already has the console AND their own physical copy of the game. That is what I disliked most about Wii and Wii U. Unfortunately, I don't know how such a setup would even work in an age where update patches and DLC are added to the equation. Maybe there's a simpler solution that's already in place that I haven't tried?

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Designing card #41 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 252 days before it was shut down Enjoy your Kirby!

Definitely. The new Fatal Frame is a 15GB download since they decided not to release it physical here. I have the 32GB system and I still don't have any room left for that. I have an extra hard drive I'm going to try to connect, but it's still stupid.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016

As long as they don't follow the PS4's weirdass idea of "in order to lower loading times, literally the entire game is installed to the hard drive and the disc is just used as copy protection". My 500GB model has less than half storage left, and I own a grand total of 2 "big" games.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 29 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 119 days before it was shut down So cool. Strike-free for more than 3 years. Congrats! i was a janitor<br />
<br />
i think Welcome to the Few. The Proud. The Moderators. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread!
For posting after Dopply

I don't really care that much about what they do with this one, but I hope that they still keep the Gamepad or some other equivalent. Having a screen on your controller is nice enough of a convenience that they should hold onto it going forward.

For being part of the Recommended Poops of December 2016 For getting 90 5-star ratings Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Thanks for the donation! For completing Super Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards to kick some tail Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos User with Funniest Signatures 2014, 
Best Writer 2014
User with Funniest Signatures 2015 November 2013 - "drake bell power slide" (Overall, Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013
User with Funniest Avatars - 2015
Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks YOUTUBE'S NOT ATHLETIC December 2011 - Regular, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/mediareviews/bad-teacher-review-r384 You've had that down there for quite a while now, haven't you?<br />
<br />
Spreading Lago Love

I actually felt pretty bitter hearing about the NX because I got a Wii U just last year.

I put a lot of time into games like Splatoon and I'd hate to lose all of that time so soon just because I happened to be a late adopter this time around. Like... I finally got a Wii U, I actually love it, and then WHOOO NEW CONSOLE NEW CONSOLE.

PATRICK NEEDS LOVE TOO! bubble gum and taffy EYELASHES! i like you too millhouse (but not in that way) For service! For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For staying strike free for 3 years. For collecting all the bronze cards Best Artist 2016 For having a blog featured Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For winning the Holiday Art Contest 2015 For coming in 3rd in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 1 year.

It's definitely not coming out in 2016, and I'd be surprised if they manage to get it out in 2017 either. I think there's still a good amount of time left for Wii U owners.

Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016

As long as they don't follow the PS4's weirdass idea of "in order to lower loading times, literally the entire game is installed to the hard drive and the disc is just used as copy protection". My 500GB model has less than half storage left, and I own a grand total of 2 "big" games.

Oh man, I was actually wondering about this. I can't believe that's for real, how ridiculous is that? I understand Blu-ray loading times are not where they should be but I think dumping EVERYTHING on the HDD is the wrong way to do it.

I sure hope Nintendo doesn't go digital only next gen. Doubtful, but you never know.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014 2013, Spirit of YouChew Award 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

It similar to how Sega said "The Sega Saturn isn't our future" and decided to release a follow up system four years later.

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

It similar to how Sega said "The Sega Saturn isn't our future" and decided to release a follow up system four years later.

Or when Microsoft released the 360 four years after the release of the original Xbox. It's not unheard of, especially (in the case of the Saturn) when the console is a failure.

I'd say the whole E3 2013 thing was the most eerie Saturn-Sony parallel. The whole slamming the competition after they've spoken and releasing at a lower price point...

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014 2013, Spirit of YouChew Award 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Microsoft's game console history has always been eerily evocative of Sega's, after all...

<br />
For posting after Dopply

Well, I'm a big fan of the Wii U so all I hope for is that Nintendo can appeal to more people with the NX. All of my friends who got their own Wii U sold it. I guess it's really only good if you like Nintendo games like I do.

I somehow always end up falling in love with the consoles that were/are failures. The Saturn is one of my absolute favorites and so is the Wii U at this point. Anyways, I don't know if people predicting that Nintendo will fail/drop out of console manufacturing because of a few comparisons to Sega is entirely fair. There was A LOT going wrong for Sega, and I doubt the same thing will happen with Nintendo unless they make a whole slew of really bad mistakes. I think everyone knows that a surprise console launch is a very bad idea, for example. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 148 days before it was shut down