Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LuigiGodzillaGirl

Need Spec recommendations for new PC

13 posts in this topic

I'm currently using a cheap refurbished Compaq that My sister found on Woot, and it's ram and storage capacity are pathetic. I've been discussing with her about getting a new desktop PC that will better suit my needs.  I just need to give her a list of minimum specs.  I know I want at least 8 gigs of ram and at least 500 gig storage capacity. But I don't know what I should get in regards to the processor and graphics.  I'd like to do some gaming but nothing super major; Steam, Overwatch, Dolphin emulator. For web browsing I want to run Chrome and Firefox simultaneously to manage my two tumblr accounts without having to log in and out one of them is an rp account.  Want to run GIMP for art projects and use my intuos 4 pen tablet with it, store said art projects, and I wouldn't mind getting back into making YouTube Poops if there's any decent editing software out there for a good price.

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Designing card #41 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 252 days before it was shut down Enjoy your Kirby!

A CPU of the Core i5 series often have the best price/quality balance. As for graphics card there's NVidia's GTX 1050 as the budget card for modern gaming, though I opted for a GTX 1060 for even better performance for a little more money; just be sure you get one which has no compatibility issues when installing it to the motherboard (ex: if your motherboard is an ASUS you better find a graphics card manufactured by ASUS or else installation will be difficult). These specs are more than enough to run Overwatch from what I've read in Game-Debate, and as such the extra power will improve performance in Dolphin if you plan to run GameCube and Wii games at higher resolutions. Also just as important you need to get a monitor with HDMI output, since modern graphics cards no longer use VGA slots.

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

I pretty much second what AGSMA said in what processor and video card I'd recommend. You can always use PC Part Picker to check the compatibility between parts, as well as the prices on just about any part you can think of.

HEART ON STICK MUST DIE I had a strizoke in my brizain. I wasn't sure how big to make the hole for the head, so I used a watermelon for size. For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! Lucario AH NEED A MONSTUH TA CLOBBUH DAT DEH KIRBEH! Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Smartest User 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all 30 silver cards! For collecting all 60 bronze cards! I'll have to give myself a promotion! For getting 20 awards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Participated in the 2014 and 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For clearing Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door during our community challenge event.
For participating in the MK8 online tournament. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. Your generosity is greatly appreciated Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Most Helpful Member 2015
User with Funniest Signatures 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016 Friendliest User 2015
Friendliest User 2016
Friendliest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 The Second Anime Collab For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos 2.b.a. master Mmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Participating in 10 collabs with NICE PEOPLE! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

We got a nice refurbished HP Elite ordered.  3.1 GHz quad core i5, 16 gig RAM, 1 TB hard drive.  All within my price range.  Not sure how I will identify the motherboard once the computer arrives.  Hopefully it's one that will play nice with Nvidia.  Will also have to look into the monitor situation, because I don't think the one I have supports HDMI. 

For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the bronze cards Designing card #41 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 252 days before it was shut down Enjoy your Kirby!

14 hours ago, LuigiGodzillaGirl said:

Will also have to look into the monitor situation, because I don't think the one I have supports HDMI. 

Which kind of NVidia graphics card does it have?

Spirit of YouChew 2017 That's a lot of love! bubble gum and taffy For receiving some chalky, tasteless candy! For giving away those sweet treats! Gave Umigame an AGSMA attack. For participating in the 2009 and 2010 Secret Santa event For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! 

For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos mmmmmricher Congrats on having completed 5 matches!

48 minutes ago, AGSMA said:

Which kind of NVidia graphics card does it have?

It doesn't unfortunately.  The page says Integrated Intel HD Graphics. My concern is that they don't include a number, which is not good for gaming, if I'm reading my research right. Now I worry I might have messed up.  I knew I was going to have to get the graphics card separately, but I didn't expect expenses of a new monitor to be part of the equation.

41 minutes ago, LuigiGodzillaGirl said:

It doesn't unfortunately.  The page says Integrated Intel HD Graphics. My concern is that they don't include a number, which is not good for gaming, if I'm reading my research right. Now I worry I might have messed up.  I knew I was going to have to get the graphics card separately, but I didn't expect expenses of a new monitor to be part of the equation.

It's a problem, indeed, which means that you'll have to tweak a lot of graphical settings to run Overwatch, or even downscaling the resolution to maintain the framerate. Overwatch isn't all that demanding compared to other more modern games so sacrificing a little bit of image quality wouldn't hurt. Processing power and RAM memory is far from being an issue, and being an integrated Intel HD card you shouldn't worry for your monitor since the card includes a VGA output.

Is it still possible to install an Nvidia based card?

19 hours ago, LuigiGodzillaGirl said:

Is it still possible to install an Nvidia based card?

If your PC is custom-built, the  yes, it's possible. From my experience at upgrading my rig, you need to consider the following:

• your motherboard's brand. Even though graphics cards are labeled after brands like NVidia and AMD, companies like ASUS and Msi are the ones that build it, and therefore compatibility issues may happen. Connecting a card built by ASUS to a motherboard from them isn't a problem, but loading one from Msi might not work at first. I suggest you to go to a hardware retailer or someone who is a computer expert and ask if the graphics card you want is compatible with your motherboard;
  • space. Your graphics card of choice must have specific dimensions to fir in your PC case;
  • OpenGL support. If the card supports the latest version, OpenGL 4.5, you don't have to worry;
  • energy consumption. Your graphics card may need an additional power source for it to run. Others, like my GTX 1060 share the same power source as the motherboard;
  • and last but not least, once your new graphics card is installed, it only gets image signals from its ports and not from the motherboard, which means that your monitor needs an HDMI output, since no graphics card nowadays use VGA. If your monitor doesn't have HDMI you can still get an HDMI-to-VGA converter, like I did (because boy, was I an idiot for not spending a little more money on a monitor with an HDMI port). To find one it needs to be a male HDMI port, to insert onto your the graphics card, and a female VGA one, to connect to the VGA cable that leads to the screen. The image looks pretty blurry but it's provisional until you get a screen with HDMI. Like I said, the converter is only an option IF your monitor has no HDMI support.

I hope this list might be helpful and it was clear, because I'm no computer expert and I'm just saying what the guy who built my own PC had told me when doing the upgrade.

The computer is an HP, so I'm assuming the motherboard is going to be the same brand.  I'm glad the that the HDMI converter is an option because I don't feel like replacing my monitor.  I haven't ordered the card yet; I'm waiting for the computer to arrive so I can open up the case and have a clearer idea of what I'm working with.  Hopefully a GTX 1050 will fit in the case

Another advice: once your PC starts working and it's fully loaded, press Home+R and type "dxdiag" in the dialog box and ou'll get a window with your PC's specifications, such as the motherboard's model, processor, etc. Or you can install Speccy, which gives you the same thing just by clicking on the program's icon. Also, be careful when opening your case. because if you take a component out of its place, it may no longer work again.

The HDMI-to-VGA converter can cost between 20 to 30 USD online or on a retail store, so buy one with caution.

You could send me a link to the desktop that you bought and I can give you info about the motherboard.

May I offer a conflicting option? If you haven't ordered the card yet.

The Radeon RX 480 is outperforming the GTX 1060, and costs less. The Radeon drivers are getting better and better at moving processing to the bare metal, Nvidia drivers are getting bloated and buggy.

For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For writing 11289 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. October 2013 - "Still the Road is Full of Photographs" (YTPMV) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Simply Simple Simply Simple 2013, Favorite Staff Member 2014, Friendliest User 2015, Most Helpful Member 2015 2013 Thanks for being awesome, Smonge. June 2012 - Overall, Regular For the category of Most Helpful Member
2013, Friendliest User 2014, Most Helpful Member 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For the Innovation in Simplicity Collab. Stayed strike-free for 1 year.

I got it in Thursday, and I fear I fucked up.  The computer is an HP 8100 Elite SFF with a 240W PSU, and Everything I'm reading online is going against my favor in terms of modifying it for light to moderate gaming.  Even the low profile cards I'm interested in require more power than it can supply.  The user manual on HP's site is saying the PCIe slots in the SFF version take 25W maximum, and it looks like there are little to no options for upgrading the PSU. I haven't ordered the card yet because I was afraid I was going to make a mistake like this.Since the computer is refurbished, I will get back to AGSMA on the MOBO model once I move the monitor, keyboard, and mouse over.  I'm still typing from the old computer. I don't want to start up the new one until I know what the most cost effective means would be to get the power I need.  That or bring down an old monitor from my sister's that they are not using.  I want to try a dual monitor set up so I can make art on one screen and browse the internet on the other, but I don't know if I have enough power to do that either. :( I don't want to go completely back to the drawing board because it has everything else that I want such as RAM, Processor, and Hard Drive.   Just seems like I need more power to run a somewhat decent budget low profile graphics card.

EDIT:  I have booted up the computer and opened the DirectX window, here are the specs I am reading.

Computer Name: DESKTOP-IV44168
System model: HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF PC
BIOS: Default System
Processor: Intel Core i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz (4CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Page File: 1232MB used, 17471MB available

Not seeing anything about the motherboard model, unless the system model is just that.  I opened up the case earlier and took a picture.  I found a possible model number; don't know if E93839 means anything.  If not, I will upload the picture.

EDIT: Here's the picture

cRWewvF.jpg