• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
Powder

Yakuza/Ryu ga Gotoku

28 replies to this topic

Powder   
Powder

[Taken from Yakuza Wikia]

"Yakuza promises to drop you in the middle of a crime drama and Sega's rendition of the notorious society is, if nothing else, an immersive one that also promises a lot of back alley street brawling. Kiryū Kazuma is the main character that has hailed from the very first game installment. He lost his parents at a young age and was raised in the Sunflower Orphanage where he met Nishiki Akira and Yumi Sawamura. After graduating from junior high school, he and Nishiki were introduced into the Dojima Family, Tojo Clan's most powerful subsidiary. As time flows to 1995, the 27 years old Kiryū had everything going well for him and had planned on starting his own subsidiary group until an event changed his life and was imprisoned for ten years. After his release in December 2005, Kiryū returned to his home town Kamurocho for answers and was told to search for Yumi, and yet, a mysterious young girl appears before him during a wake of an incident and came to rely on him."

--------------------

Got into Yakuza through TBFP's LP of 0 and it's a SPECTACULAR series.
It's like a spiritual successor to Shenmue in ways too, which is why I'm fond of it.

Also here's the trailer for Kiwami (the remake of 1) if anyone wants to see it

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Did someone say Thanks for being Strike-Free for three years! Keep it up! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

RedLuigi   
RedLuigi

I played Yakuza 5 early last year and it's probably one of the best games I've ever played??? The combat is simple but it feels good to play, you're just knocking and bouncing dudes around all over the place and using brutal finishers on them and it's so satisfying. And all the life-sim stuff is a lot of fun, most of it is minigames but there are other things like goIng to hostess clubs or going to all the restaurants to eat all the different foods. The story is soap-opera tier, but it's done in a kind of tongue-in-cheek way meant to imitate actual Yakuza films. The individual character arcs are all really good though, my favorites being Saejima and Shinada. I hope all the playable characters from 5 return for 6 (sans haruka, lol) but as far as I know all we've seen is Kiryu gameplay.

I skipped 0 but I'm definitely picking up Kiwami, it's looks like a really good update to the original.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaaayo! *Robotnik music* You've GOT a little penis... Strrrriiiike free. For Lucky Lottery.

Maq   
Maq

I've never played a Yakuza game (rip in rest) but I will most likely pick up Kiwami, and I'd like to try 0 at one point as well. Also Majima is so cute lol

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Powder   
Powder

Majima is an excellent boy yes indeed (Also hi you two lmao)

Once I get a PS4 ill be able to play the games but for now just LPs unfortunately (ง •̀_•́)ง
They look like such fun

For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Did someone say Thanks for being Strike-Free for three years! Keep it up! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Erazor   
Erazor

I've played every Western-released entry from PS3 onward, and also imported a copy of Kenzan. One of my favorite franchises of all time, easily. I'm glad that 0 did well enough in the niche market that Sega has renewed faith in the franchise in the West. I already have Kiwami preordered (I've wanted to play the original for some time). Funny enough, this is the series that indirectly got me into the Warriors franchise.

In fact I've played so much of both series I've recognized numerous voice actors between the two. Kazuma's actor in particular voices Hanzo in Samurai Warriors.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Congratulations on finishing the first dungeon goddamnit. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years SKINNER Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

King D. Supersepiroth   
King D. Supersepiroth

I've been playing since 4 was put up on PS Plus and I've been in love with it ever since. Word of caution for completionists, this game demands a lot for 100%.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For getting 20 awards For collecting all the bronze cards For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing A Link to the Past during the community challenge. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Organizing and completing the Harkinian League Spooky Poop 2015 For staying strike free for 5 years. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Sonic 1 during the community challenge event. For being a super teammate Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years

Powder   
Powder
On 7/3/2017 at 5:24 AM, King D. Supersepiroth said:

I've been playing since 4 was put up on PS Plus and I've been in love with it ever since. Word of caution for completionists, this game demands a lot for 100%.

It's kinda worth it in the end though.
Godddd I still need to preorder myself Kiwami soon huhhghghghghhg

trepmaws   
trepmaws

Man, they are just cranking these games out lately, aren't they?

I really enjoyed watching streams of 0, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on Kiwami and probably 6 when those are out.

For staying warn free for 9 years Posted Nep Nep hentai For staying strike free for 7 years. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Meeting MycroProcessor Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Here's to another 4 years before anyone else gets it hooray!

Powder   
Powder

The reason they've been releasing so many at once is probably due to the success of 0 here in the West.
I think also because of a successful petition that was made for SEGA to release the other games in the series here too...?

Like they weren't translating the rest of the games because the series wasn't selling enough in the west.

Erazor   
Erazor

Like Powder said, Sega never stopped shitting these games out at a ludicrous pace. I love the series but Sega should take care not to alienate Western fans with so many games. There was a huge drop-off with Assassin's Creed after one bad title, and the fanbase of Dynasty Warriors considers a lot of releases completely skippable due to the sheer number of spinoffs released every year.

Then again, there has yet to be a bad Yakuza game. I just wouldn't want Sega to get too trigger happy with it.

For staying warn free for 9 years For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For completing The Wind Waker during the community challenge. For completing Hyrule Warriors during the community challenge. Congratulations on finishing the first dungeon goddamnit. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Spooky Poop 2015 Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years SKINNER Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Powder   
Powder

Wasn't Dead Souls considered kinda... mediocre though?
I remember Matt and Pat [of TBFP] were kinda iffy about it when they brought it up a bit in their LP of 0.

Erazor   
Erazor
20 minutes ago, Powder said:

Wasn't Dead Souls considered kinda... mediocre though?
I remember Matt and Pat [of TBFP] were kinda iffy about it when they brought it up a bit in their LP of 0.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I guess it's not for everyone. For what is essentially a zombie survival spinoff they didn't half ass it at all. The only two legit complaints I have are the weird aiming (which you get used to after like an hour) and the frame rate.

Powder   
Powder

Does it play like RE5/6 or like Dead Rising?
I assume like Dead Rising knowing how Yakuza's battle system is.

I probably will buy it down the road because I wanna see Ryuji's Barrett gun arm in action lol

Erazor   
Erazor
1 minute ago, Powder said:

Does it play like RE5/6 or like Dead Rising?
I assume like Dead Rising knowing how Yakuza's battle system is

I haven't played it in a few years but if I remember right, melee combat is pretty much out of the equation completely. It's all third-person shooting with two aiming modes. The first is automated with free camera movement and the second is a zoomed in over the shoulder view like a standard shooter. As you get more accustomed to it, the automated mode becomes the preferable one especially since the game throws a shitload of enemies at you at all times. Heat attacks come into play as special shots that can be taken against special enemies, near certain objects, or using specific guns. And since there's no melee combat, the characters abilities are diversified by each of them having a unique gun.

So in short, I'd compare it most closely to Resident Evil 4 when you're aiming, and an old RE game when you're not if you're looking at Capcom games for reference.

Powder   
Powder

Ah, alright!

Seems pretty cool from what I've seen.

Spoiler

And hearing about Majima getting sick with hay fever sounds precious......

L-like in a pitiful way; I'm not trying to insinuate that I get a kick out of seeing him suffer. It's the 'least' suffering he's probably endured
Like you wanna feed him some soup and play vidya with him as he sits swaddled in blankets under a kotatsu though I'm pretty Saejima would do that already for him

Erazor   
Erazor

tbh this is all you need to justify buying it

Powder   
Powder

I FUCKING LOVE THAT SONG

oh majimble
such a magnificent boy

Maq   
Maq

lmao that video was like watching an MMD but in a real game

As much as I enjoy Yakuza I agree that they're releasing way too many at once. Like Kiwami isn't even out yet and they already announced they're bringing 6 to the west as well. I mean, it's a great series but like, most ppl don't have enough money to buy so many of them at once lol.

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 For participating in the 2016 Secret Santa Art Exchange! For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos BOOIIIINNNGGG

Erazor   
Erazor

To be fair, Kiwami is launching at 30$. Now not all games moving forward are going to launch so cheaply, but it does alleviate the cost quite a bit in the immediate release schedule. 

Now if Sega released 3 60$ games in the same series in the same year, people are going to think "Okay, which one can I skip?" and that's where the slippery slope starts.