Sign in to follow this  
Smonge

The Computer Chronicles

0 replies to this topic

Smonge

Last summer I came across The Computer Chronicles. Created and hosted by Stewart Cheifet and co-hosted by the late Gary Kildall, CEO of DRI; Cheifet was an amateur microcomputer enthusiast who basically wanted to take the idea of the isolated homebrew computer clubs that ran in the same vein as THE Homebrew Computer Club and bring it to the public. The Computer Chronicles was instrumental in helping consumers understand PC hardware and software in layman's terms. Cheifet might be considered one of the most hated people in television during his time because of his supposed rudeness towards his guests, tending to cut them off. In reality, Cheifet was attempting to discourage marketing speak and buzzwords that meant nothing to consumers and in fact was attempting to force his guests to cut the bullshit, and show their product for what it was. On top of that, Cheifet was the station manager during TCC's early production years, ergo he was more aware of time constraints and trying to keep his guests on time.

I had actually watched this particular episode today, not realizing until today it was the first ever produced. I've been recently reading Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution and I feel comfortable saying that this episode is even less than what might be considered an abbreviation of minicomputers and microcomputers. Decades late for IBM mainframes and DEC minis, and at best five years too late to fully chronicle the microcomputer revolution led by the Altair 8800, TRS-80 and Apple ii, but pretty much just in time for the IBM PC XT, and the rise of PC-DOS/MS-DOS and IBM PC compatibles.

I literally have no idea who might be interested in this kind of stuff apart from me and probably @Yoshit, but this is a very fun retro kick to look back on when the days of Pentium's and Voodoo graphic accelerators were top shit, and Windows 95 was literally treated like the second coming.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For writing 11289 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. October 2013 - "Still the Road is Full of Photographs" (YTPMV) Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Simply Simple Simply Simple 2013, Favorite Staff Member 2014, Friendliest User 2015, Most Helpful Member 2015 2013 Thanks for being awesome, Smonge. June 2012 - Overall, Regular For the category of Most Helpful Member
2013, Friendliest User 2014, Most Helpful Member 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For the Innovation in Simplicity Collab. Stayed strike-free for 1 year.