SharkhamAsylum

Video Essays and Film Theory YouTube

54 replies to this topic

Robotic

Is it fair to say that the Plinkett Star Wars reviews were the progenitor of this genre? The Episode 1 review came out in 2009 and I remember there being absolutely nothing like it at the time. I feel like the Plinkett reviews sort of opened the door for this kind of in-depth, long-form film criticism on youtube, and it's interesting to see how much it's grown. It's just crazy how much better people have gotten at doing this kind of thing.

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

The Pope

Yeah, I'd say they were sort of the foundation for this style of review, where the person sits down and does their homework. I like Doug's stuff from time to time, but it basically boils down to him describing the plot of a movie while occasionally making jokes about it.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

SharkhamAsylum
1 hour ago, Robotic said:

Is it fair to say that the Plinkett Star Wars reviews were the progenitor of this genre? The Episode 1 review came out in 2009 and I remember there being absolutely nothing like it at the time. I feel like the Plinkett reviews sort of opened the door for this kind of in-depth, long-form film criticism on youtube, and it's interesting to see how much it's grown. It's just crazy how much better people have gotten at doing this kind of thing.

I definitely agree, and I think a lot of critics may owe their dues to RLM the same way video game reviewers may be indebted to James Rolfe. I doubt Mike invented the video essay but I think he certainly popularized it on the internet. But let me say, having recently watched the Episode 1 Plinkett review, the schtick/framing device is intolerable.

The whole reason I had to stop watching RedLetterMedia was because I couldn't bear the seven levels of irony or whatever that their content was on; the excessive rape joke from Rich Evans in the first episode of The Nerd Herd was the breaking point for me. Despite that, I still have respect for the content they put out and for all they've done, and  I still keep up with Jay and Jack on Twitter; they were my favorites as far as thoughtful discussion went. Re:View is the best part of their channel, in my opinion. 

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

The Pope

I dunno; I don't watch non-Plinkett content, but every single Plinkett review is still classic to me and I could watch them on repeat for FIFTY-NINE MINUTES.

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

G ☆

So is this thread solely limited to film-related video essays, or are other mediums such as video games allowed? If so, Matthewmatosis has always been one of my favorite game reviewers, and lately I've been starting to respect Joseph Anderson a lot more as a critic the more he goes along.

Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Biodegradable

I'd say it's fair game, Gman. You've reminded me of a video game-orientated YouTuber I very much enjoy who also makes long-form retrospective videos, Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

And naturally, we can't forget hbomberguy. This vid was my introduction to his work.

Mind you, I can't stand Matthewmatosis. I appreciate the level of work and detail he puts into his videos, but that droll, monotone voice of his just makes his stuff very boring and a chore to sit through.

GO and KILL! Submitting 100 videos to the Video System User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Friendliest User 2017
Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For receiving a candy heart during the Valentine's Day event! For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016.

and August 2017 FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Image Editor 2017
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Best Newcomer 2016
Best Writer 2016
Best Tenniser 2017
Best Writer 2017
User with Coolest Signatures 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular)
Top 10 Videos of June 2017 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 / Top 10 Videos of June 2017 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

G ☆

Both Matthew and Joseph have a monotone problem, which they obviously can't help, but I personally never really minded it. If anything it makes it funnier whenever either of them break character and crack a joke. Joseph's Cuphead video is like the perfect example of his monotonous voice actually being used to his advantage.

Guess. User with Funniest Avatars 2017 That's a lot of love! For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards DIABEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EYELASHES For getting 20 awards For staying strike free for 5 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For collecting all the silver cards. For completing Twilight Princess with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For clearing Super Mario Galaxy 2 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For completing SMB2: The Lost Levels (GBC version, 'For Super Players') during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Bros during the community challenge event. E3 Bingo 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 For referring Shinybeedrill and Lord of the Cats to YouChew. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Robotic

MatthewMatosis is my JAM, but damn you kinda wish he'd put out more than two videos a year.

CaptainDisillusion doesn't normally fall into this genre, but I think his two-parter on BttF counts:

Captain D is basically a first generation youtuber, I love this man so much for continuing to do what he does (and also for not falling into the trap so many other youtube skeptics fell into).

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

appdirect

I don't think the videos are online anymore, but I remember Confused Matthew made a video review of how he didn't liked 2001 a Space Odyssey, and some dude named Chase made a 9 parter review criticizing Matthew's review. And Matthew started making responses to those videos one by one, but he stopped because Chase died.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

SharkhamAsylum

Yea video game essays ought to be fair game! I'm on mobile so I can't be assed to link right now, but Mark Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit and Josh of The Geek Critique are my favorites in that field right now.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

Nozdordomu

I've also gravitated away from video reviewers and toward video essayists. Some of them get a little pretentious, but a lot of them do know what they're talking about. I generally like Lindsay Ellis, and I'm also a fan of Just Write. He did a really good 3-part video on the awful Last Airbender film – low-hanging fruit, I know, but he really ripped into every single aspect of it.

And then there's this guy, whose re-imagining of the plot to Passengers should've been the actual plot.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

TugCoat
On 10/27/2017 at 11:22 AM, TugCoat said:

Movies with Mikey is fantastic with highlighting the best things, implicit and explicit, about certain films.  And his style and editing are top notch.

I’ll just echo what I said in the Youtube channels thread earlier.  He’s great for positive video essays.

Metroid Fusion 100% For staying strike free for 3 years. I actually decided based on upvotes. That's a lot of love! WE'VE GOT TROUBLE Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks Thanks for the donation Testing the IPS 4.0 Update User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Best Newcomer 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year When you're chased by... For participating in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest! For taking third place in the 2014 Spooky Poop Contest. Congratulations! October 2014 - Sentence mix-core, Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

Judau

I admit i'm probably too easily manipulated and influenced by other people's opinions. I just don't know what i still can believe online. I hate myself for that.

Back to topic:

For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

TheOneManBoxOffice

Pleeeease, your omnipotence... have mercy! For Grounder's sake HE MENTIONED IT! User with Coolest Signatures 2017

User with Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017 Best Writer 2017 That's how I beat Shaq! ... Wait EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event! Lucario For completing The Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the gold cards For completing the original Legend of Zelda during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Hey, g-give me a boost Mario. Best Writer 2015
Best Writer 2016 You want it? MMMMMM...it's yours, my friend! Bringing on joestrange8 Share a Coke with YouChew For writing 10330 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos

The Pope

It seems pretty popular to bag on MovieBob these days, but his video essay content has been pretty great.

精武
On 11/7/2017 at 12:40 PM, SharkhamAsylum said:

It goes into a larger refrain of "why are there so few conservative artists," "why are there so few conservative actors," "why are there so few conservatives in the humanities," because generally conservatives devalue and just don't give a shit about those things because they're off getting "real jobs" or whatever.

More like they're actively pushed out of and blacklisted(or one might say "graylisted") from creative fields, especially in today's Hollywood.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 138 days before it was shut down

SharkhamAsylum
2 hours ago, 精武 said:

More like they're actively pushed out of and blacklisted(or one might say "graylisted") from creative fields, especially in today's Hollywood.

conservatives don't enter these fields because the second some says "hey your 'transgressive' art isn't actually anything at all but really racist and shitty" they take it as a personal attack and drop out because they'd sooner think the world is against them than think critically about their actions, in short,

3OAxDYL.png

Whelt

Couldn't you theoretically be an artist or actor or whatever without publicly airing your political stances? I'm sure a lot of people out there do just that.

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!