SharkhamAsylum

Video Essays and Film Theory YouTube

54 replies to this topic

SharkhamAsylum
15 minutes ago, Whelt said:

Couldn't you theoretically be an artist or actor or whatever without publicly airing your political stances? I'm sure a lot of people out there do just that.

There's definitely plenty, but it obviously doesn't work because politics are inescapable in every piece of media (and the decision to sculpt something into apolitical blandness is in and of itself a political decision to support the status quo, which is why "apoliticism" or general centrism tends to cede rightward). Individuals actors and authors generally can't keep the lid on their politics forever, anyway, as for better or worse people start to pick their work apart through theory and analysis to get a better understanding of it, and alongside it, the actor/author.

Jing's comments are also making me think about how Hollywood actually did, publicly, blacklist a fuckload of communists and communists sympathizers in the age of McCarthyism, so like, it's "actual historical well-documented expulsion of leftists from film, academia, and art" versus "tacit anti-republican conspiracy (and not, y'know, people just refusing to give audience or support to bigots which isn't even true in a day where Mark Wahlberg and Mel Gibson can star in a family-friendly comedy together, and in other circles it can't possibly be that the simplistic black-and-white worldview inherent and vital to conservative ideology isn't very conducive with deep analysis of art and media)." It can even be argued that the whole reason Marxist analysis of film, etc. evolved as thoroughly as it did was in response to McCarthyism and trying to "read" films for the anti-capitalist themes their authors were forced to suppress.

Anyway here's the latest from what is my favorite burgeoning subgenre of film essay, "Dunking on CinemaSins:"

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

The Pope

Film was extremely right-leaning up until around the 60's/70's, and there's a reason cowboy movies died out right around the time of Vietnam and the leftist revolution, it was because a lot of the people making these films as well as their audiences realized "hey so uh revising history to make the cool gunslinging cowboy out to be a hero when in actuality natives were subject to horrendous genocide is kinda fucked up".

That being said, if you want a mainstream blockbuster that's too left for its own good, look no further than the 70's King Kong which subbed our "Let's make a movie, oh no gorilla, adventure" with

For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

精武
6 hours ago, SharkhamAsylum said:

"hey your 'transgressive' art isn't actually anything at all but really racist and shitty"

Is that code for "not for open borders with a fetish for shitting on white people for everything"? Also championing "revolution" and preaching patriarchy conspiracy theory, too, among other things. Because then it would make sense, if you aren't into that you're basically a pariah in art communities. You really have to tow the line or you're out, and even then people will watch you like a hawk looking for any excuse to throw you out. Cannibalization is a common occurrence.

I mean you don't have to be a "conservative" and care about any of their bullshit go-to issues, you just have to be sane basically. At least in the US. But whatever, this is getting into tired old territory at this point and won't go anywhere. Or maybe it will.

I just thought it was foolish to boil the lack of conservative viewpoints and general presence down to conservatives always thinking they're too good to act or draw or whatever, because that's, frankly, a lie. People in the post-McCarthy era have absolutely been undermined and essentially denied careers because of the "wrong" political beliefs and associations, you notice how open conservatives in Hollywood are also people who are already well established in the industry and basically untouchable? When do you see a young up-and-comer getting political in a way that doesn't basically regurgitate stock left-wing talking points? I mean, you really don't think there's a reason for that and it's just a silly Republican victim complex coming out?

Of course the hip thing to do nowadays is to spew lies and tie somebody to the "alt-right", pretty good way to get the ball rolling on ruining somebody's career in this day and age. Happened to Anthony Fantano recently as a matter of fact. But I digress.

At any rate, if what you're saying is any indication, I would think that only people who subscribe to beliefs that the far left feels 100% comfortable with(including the gender wage gap, the idea that we live in a society that is engineered to benefit men exclusively, open borders while simultaneously expanding welfare immensely, strict guidelines on acceptable speech and beliefs, etc) can be victims. It's honestly pretty absurd.

anyway whatever this is getting off track again i don't mean anything i say i'm just being ironic

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 138 days before it was shut down

SushieBoy

I like this video a lot, it made me reconsider a lot of what I think adaptations should be.

Metroid: Samus Returns complete Super Metroid under 3 hours Super Metroid early Wave Beam You want it?  It's yours, my friend. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Adventure of Link during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For completing Mario 2: The Lost Levels during our community challenge event. For completing all of the games required for this awesome award during the community challenge event. Winning Ghostly Art Contest 2014 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks so much for your generosity! For taking first place in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest. Congratulations! For participating in the 2014 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Thanks a lot for your very generous donation! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Congratulations! For placing third in Mushrooms' Sonic CD competition. You've won a total of 275,000 Chewbucks! For being on the Vanilla forums for 186 days before it was shut down The Lagomorphs love you right back. You deserve a medal, Doc.

Biodegradable
46 minutes ago, 精武 said:

here's something people might actually like

Hell yeah, mate. Every Frame A Painting + Jackie Chan = Perfection. This video reminds me that I really need to see more of Chan's non-American films. I watched a shit-ton of his movies with my old man when I was a kid, but there's still plenty more to see. Plus I'm not entirely sure how many of them were American ones and how many were not, but I do remember seeing some of his Hong-Kong ones, though they were dubbed. I should definitely watched the subtitled versions. If John Woo's work has taught me anything, Hong Kong action movies are fucking brilliant.

GO and KILL! Submitting 100 videos to the Video System User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Friendliest User 2017
Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For receiving a candy heart during the Valentine's Day event! For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016.

and August 2017 FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Image Editor 2017
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Best Newcomer 2016
Best Writer 2016
Best Tenniser 2017
Best Writer 2017
User with Coolest Signatures 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular)
Top 10 Videos of June 2017 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 / Top 10 Videos of June 2017 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

精武
10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Hell yeah, mate. Every Frame A Painting + Jackie Chan = Perfection. This video reminds me that I really need to see more of Chan's non-American films. I watched a shit-ton of his movies with my old man when I was a kid, but there's still plenty more to see. Plus I'm not entirely sure how many of them were American ones and how many were not, but I do remember seeing some of his Hong-Kong ones, though they were dubbed. I should definitely watched the subtitled versions. If John Woo's work has taught me anything, Hong Kong action movies are fucking brilliant.

Yeah, HK action is the best, I keep going back to it time and time again. Hollywood action movies just don't compare.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 138 days before it was shut down

Biodegradable
1 hour ago, 精武 said:

Yeah, HK action is the best, I keep going back to it time and time again. Hollywood action movies just don't compare.

They really don't, especially when they insist with the bloody shaky-cam effect. The only Hollywood-esque actions I've seen in more recent times that I can say are awesome are Dredd and John Wick.

GO and KILL! Submitting 100 videos to the Video System User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Friendliest User 2017
Smartest User 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For receiving a candy heart during the Valentine's Day event! For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016.

and August 2017 FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Best Image Editor 2017
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Best Newcomer 2016
Best Writer 2016
Best Tenniser 2017
Best Writer 2017
User with Coolest Signatures 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular)
Top 10 Videos of June 2017 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 / Top 10 Videos of June 2017 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Whelt

Yo, yeah, Once Upon a Time in China is one of my favorites. I love those. What is Hollywood even doing?

The galaxy is at peace Metroid: Samus Returns 100% Metroid Fusion complete Metroid Prime 2 100% Metroid: Zero Mission early Varia Suit and Screw Attack Metroid: Zero Mission under 2 hours Wads of dosh DOING YOUR TEETH FAVORS That's a lot of love! HOOOOOW GENEROUS! BUT I'M ALL MILLHOUSE! For staying warn free for 9 years For obtaining 50 awards. For completing all of the Legend of Zelda challenges during the community challenge. Well done! For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds with three hearts during the community challenge. For completing A Link Between Worlds during the community challenge. For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 90 5-star ratings For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Designed cards #1-4, #34-35, #48, #55, #60, #83-85 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years You got $5,000,000! Congrats! For completing Super Mario Land 2 during our community challenge event. Wow! For completing all of the games required for this badge during our community challenge event. For completing the very hard game of Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels (or just Mario 2 in Japan) during our community game challenge. For completing Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3 & World during our community challenge event. For completing Super Mario Galaxy during the community challenge event. For completing Super Mario 64 to 100% completion during the community challenge event. For clearing Mario Sunshine to 100% completion during the community challenge event. Thanks so much for your generosity! He's finally back Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Friendliest User 2015, Smartest User 2015
User with Funniest Avatars 2016
Most Likely to Rule the World 2016
Smartest User 2016
Most Helpful Member 2016
Member with Funniest Posts 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017
Member with Funniest Posts 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For your participation in your favorite Cowboy Bebop session article. Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for having 44 videos with a 5 star rating Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo! Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For the category of User With Funniest Avatars.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2016
2013 For the categories of Spirit of YouChew and Funniest Posts.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2014
2013 cashmoney February 2012 - "GENIE HAS ALLERGIES" (Regular) November 2011 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 130 videos Thank you for your donation!

Crazy Luigi

Honestly, I have no idea at this point in time. Sometimes, they remind me of what the modern-day video game industry is doing.

Speaking of which, while this doesn't relate to the film theory aspect, it does relate to the video essay format. Jim Sterling is someone I've seen every now and then, and I almost wonder why he doesn't have a thread of his own these days (if he does, then forgive me for being out of the loop in that regard).

BONES BOMBS LOCK UP THE THROTTLE For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Wads of dosh ALL THE LOOOOOVE For collecting all 4 Wonderball items. EYELASHES! For receiving candy during the Valentine's Day event!

For completing Four Swords Anniversary Edition during the community challenge. For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting all the standard ornaments For completing Super Mario Land 1 & 2 during our community challenge event. For participating in ten successful collaborations You've reached 20 medals. This is now yours! Best Writer 2015 Friendliest User 2014
Friendliest User 2016
Smartest User 2016
Best Writer 2017 Best Writer 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2014, Best Writer 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Getting 2nd in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Spooky Poop Halloween contest For writing 15609 words worth in blog entries. For having a blog entry featured. Cake, etc. etc. Since it's inevitable, this is for the million that I got. I am a Writing Staff! :D

Also, you've done well for my niggaz writing this shit! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo!

The Pope

I've kinda just posted his videos in general video gaming chat, but I agree that having a thread for him is reasonable.

edit: tada

Edited by The Pope
For staying strike free for 7 years. For getting 20 awards Wads of dosh It's like giving heals to each of your five idiot teammates. Except you never play healer. I do. It's definitely not Hancock loooool For completing Twilight Princess during the community challenge. User with Funniest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Most Likely to Rule the World 2016 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For getting in the Super Silver donation group Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years April 2013 - YTPMV Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 135 days before it was shut down ALWAYS WITH THE DAMN LAGOS The original ninja info cards. Ribbit! ta-da Thanks for sharing your treats!

trepmaws

Super Bunnyhop's influence from RLM is pretty apparent (especially in his earlier videos), and it's led to some good video game-related essays. Probably my favorite of the bunch being his analysis of Metal Gear Solid 2.

As for others I watch, every once in a while I remember to check out what new stuff Kyle Kallgren and Georg Rockall-Schmidt have put out, and am never disappointed.

I also enjoy videos that go in depth about internet-relevant topics and oddities, and not long after dropping Metokur for similar reasons to those already stated in this thread, I found that Fredrik Knudsen scratched that itch far better:

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Posted Nep Nep hentai For staying strike free for 7 years. For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Meeting MycroProcessor Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Here's to another 4 years before anyone else gets it hooray!

SharkhamAsylum

I know Cinemassacre has its own thread on the internet board, but James has been doing a lot of fascinating dives into movie history lately, like why there's a stupid piece of cardboard in Dracula or why a man with a lamp opens the silent film Phantom of the Opera with an uncaptioned monologue. This recent one really appealed to me, though, Frankenstein is something I have a deep personal affinity for and he really picks at some of my favorite aspects of it: whether the brain, the body, or the soul is the individual.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.