Brillemeister

Any BS copyright claim stories?

26 replies to this topic

Brillemeister

For those who don't know (most of you, I was never one of the most popular YTPers), I've been on YouTube since summer 2006, and my oldest YTP dates to March 2007, so in the worst case scenario I have a lot to lose.

Just a few minutes ago I disputed a claim on a video of mine involving a public domain source (Space Thunder Kids). I've had plenty of claims over the years, all of which I've had to just live with because of the legal grey area in which YTP's, YTPMV's and AMV's reside. Although this latest one is obviously bogus, and thus I know I'm in the right (for once, fair use considerations aside), YouTube's bolded warning about possible channel annihilation if a claim is deemed "fraudulent" shook me a bit. I'm not about to let copyright trolls kill off the channel I've been building for over a decade.

Does anyone else have a bullshit copyright claim story or two to share?

UPDATE: Claim released!

Waymu

the distribution company that does the Colin & Brad DVD special took this video down a few years ago... it's clearly not taken from the DVD.

Wads of dosh Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For writing 10594 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Most Likely to Rule the World 2015, User with Coolest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016. Most Likely to Rule the World 2016, Smartest User 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Best Image Editor 2016
Best Image Editor 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for having 45 5-star ratings on your videos Have a Ratburn For fighting the good fight in the war against copyright. For what is probably the first 60FPS YTP ever made. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2013 - "Brett Keane collab" (Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 great head CHEWS YOUR RACER Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core as promised. congrats on 5 matches! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Brillemeister
4 minutes ago, Waymu said:

the distribution company that does the Colin & Brad DVD special took this video down a few years ago... it's clearly not taken from the DVD.

That's pretty dirty of them. Glad you got it resolved.

And now I'm hungry for a baked potato.

Biodegradable

I haven't gotten any copyright strikes yet. The most I've had to deal with is Warner Bros using a BLOCKED WORLDWIDE content ID on one of my videos, which I've had to dispute twice. They were after me because the compilation video of my second tennis match with AshcrementVII had footage of Mad Max: Fury Road in it. Both times, I disputed it sourcing Fair Use legal doctrine under the Parody clause, and both times they relinquished their claim in under a few hours. The most annoying part is the sneaky sods tried reclaiming it after it was successfully disputed the first time around. Thankfully, they haven't tried for a third round.

GO and KILL! Submitting 100 videos to the Video System User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Friendliest User 2017
Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For receiving a candy heart during the Valentine's Day event! For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016.

and August 2017 FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Image Editor 2017
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Best Newcomer 2016
Best Writer 2016
Best Tenniser 2017
Best Writer 2017
User with Coolest Signatures 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular)
Top 10 Videos of June 2017 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 / Top 10 Videos of June 2017 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Brillemeister
1 minute ago, Biodegradable said:

I haven't gotten any copyright strikes yet. The most I've had to deal with is Warner Bros using a BLOCKED WORLDWIDE content ID on one of my videos, which I've had to dispute twice. They were after me because the compilation video of my second tennis match with AshcrementVII had footage of Mad Max: Fury Road in it. Both times, I disputed it sourcing Fair Use legal doctrine under the Parody clause, and both times they relinquished their claim in under a few hours. The most annoying part is the sneaky sods tried reclaiming it after it was successfully disputed the first time around. Thankfully, they haven't tried for a third round.

Nice to know that the defense of fair use via parody apparently works for YTP. Coincidentally, WB filed a monetization claim on my oldest surviving YTP that I never bothered disputing.

Waymu

Oh also once I made a Peppa Pig video that was of the "WHAT MUSIC ARE YOU INTO? I LIKE THIS, IT'S VERY GROWN UP" variety, and it got 14,000 views, then it got taken down. Counter claimed it with the usual defense, got it back up. Two months later it gets taken back down again, I message the people and they're like "you used music with swear words, if the video didn't have that we'd just content-ID it" and I was like "daaaaamn" so I deleted the video and they retracted their claim. It was a waste of time and stupid as fuck but it ended up alright. I don't think that video is allowed to see the light of day anymore though.

Wads of dosh Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For writing 10594 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Most Likely to Rule the World 2015, User with Coolest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016. Most Likely to Rule the World 2016, Smartest User 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Best Image Editor 2016
Best Image Editor 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for having 45 5-star ratings on your videos Have a Ratburn For fighting the good fight in the war against copyright. For what is probably the first 60FPS YTP ever made. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2013 - "Brett Keane collab" (Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 great head CHEWS YOUR RACER Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core as promised. congrats on 5 matches! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Biodegradable
16 minutes ago, Brillemeister said:

Nice to know that the defense of fair use via parody apparently works for YTP. Coincidentally, WB filed a monetization claim on my oldest surviving YTP that I never bothered disputing.

I'm fine with Content IDs. They can have the monetisation rights as far as I'm concerned. I ain't using them, and as long as I still get to keep my video up, I'm dandy. Also the joke's on them considering YouTube's absolute joke of a system. They won't make a dime off my dinky little channel hehehe.

GO and KILL! Submitting 100 videos to the Video System User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Friendliest User 2017
Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017 For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For receiving a candy heart during the Valentine's Day event! For getting 20 awards For meeting LaVie CestLol and ravinrabbid123 For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 For taking 1st Place in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest! Congrats! For participating in the 2016 Spooky Poop Contest I can do it, I can do it 10 times. For staying strike free for 1 year. For The Angry Grandpa Collab. For being a part of the Recommended YouTube Poops of May 2016.

and August 2017 FIVE! FIVE TENNIS MATCHES! HA HA HA HA!! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Hey, gimme a boost, Mario. For collecting all the silver cards Best Tenniser 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2016
Friendliest User 2016
Favorite Staff Member 2016
Best Image Editor 2017
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Signatures 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 Best Newcomer 2016
Best Writer 2016
Best Tenniser 2017
Best Writer 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 (Regular)
Top 10 Videos of June 2017 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Dec 2015 / Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 / Top 10 Videos of June 2017 Congratulations on your first ever Writing Staff article, my friend! :) Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Brillemeister
8 minutes ago, Waymu said:

Oh also once I made a Peppa Pig video that was of the "WHAT MUSIC ARE YOU INTO? I LIKE THIS, IT'S VERY GROWN UP" variety, and it got 14,000 views, then it got taken down. Counter claimed it with the usual defense, got it back up. Two months later it gets taken back down again, I message the people and they're like "you used music with swear words, if the video didn't have that we'd just content-ID it" and I was like "daaaaamn" so I deleted the video and they retracted their claim. It was a waste of time and stupid as fuck but it ended up alright. I don't think that video is allowed to see the light of day anymore though.

L-O-fucking-L. I always suspected saving face had more to do with some takedowns than simple greed.
There goes my plans to create Swiper the Fox Makes Violent Love to Peppa Pig.

8 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I'm fine with Content IDs. They can have the monetisation rights as far as I'm concerned. I ain't using them, and as long as I still get to keep my video up, I'm dandy. Also the joke's on them considering YouTube's absolute joke of a system. They won't make a dime off my dinky little channel hehehe.

It's definitely preferable to actually having your videos' very existence on YT challenged. I wouldn't have disputed this latest one were it not a scam.

NKpower

I once had a Horrid Henry YTP taken down during my first year on YT, and I don’t know why but I think the reason was due to the title I’ve gave it. The title was Horrid Henry Gets Abandoned by his Abusive Parents, and that got taken down presumably for that reason. I think you have to be careful naming your videos, just in case they’ll get removed by someone for “copyright” (I’m looking at you Kidz Clips).

for organizing 5 successful collabs! For being part of the Recommended Poops of January & February 2017

and March 2017 For getting 90 5-star ratings IT'S GOT YOU WRITTEN ALL OVER IT! For getting 20 awards TINY TENNIS RACKETS For participating in the Youtube Poop Secret Santa event of 2016 +5 upvote status update within my unusual time frame. Sorry NKpower, I can't give credit. For participating in the 2016 Ghostly Art Contest For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For the WarioWare collab! Wah! Having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For collecting all the silver cards Best Newcomer 2016
Best YouTube Pooper 2016
User with Coolest Signatures 2016
User With Most Aesthetically Pleasing Avatars 2016
User with Coolest Avatars 2017
Best YouTube Pooper 2017 For collecting all the bronze cards Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 / Top 10 Videos of Feb 2016 (Regular) Top 10 Videos of Jan 2016 For participating in ten successful collabs! For the VHS collab For the VHS collab Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event Submitting 25 videos to the Video System Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

Heruru Meruru

One YTP I made of some potty training video back in 2010 got taken down for copyright reasons and I never backed it up, so it's lost to the sands of time. Most of the humor was "ha ha hoo ha I made this cartoon for two year olds say naughty words" so it's no huge loss.

Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For staying warn free for 9 years Top 10 Videos of Mar 2017 Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For having a blog entry featured. Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 26 videos

ravinrabbid123

I've not had any videos of mine taken down so far (touch wood it stays like that), but I have had some content IDs slapped on, and while most of them don't affect me whatsoever, a couple are blocked in certain countries, mostly on the very few PMVs I made before and around the time I started making YTP. 

Placing 2nd in Chew-or-Treat (2017) You're not afraid of DRAGONS, are you? Oh hey, you got 10 matches. Congrats! For participating in the 2017 YouChew Easter Basket event! You are victorious! You won the Match Voting Tournament alongside Gamebop! Well done! That's a lot of love! For staying strike free for 3 years. bubble gum and taffy Try in on, ravin! For receiving candy during the Valentines Day event! Submitting 50 videos to the Video System For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards Best Artist 2016
Best Artist 2017
Best Tenniser 2017
Friendliest User 2017
User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Spirit of YouChew 2017
Most Helpful Member 2017
Favorite Staff Member 2017 Spirit of YouChew Award 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016 For collecting all 60 bronze cards! it's only FICTIONAL MONEY Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa LaVie est belle ;)
Ninero
BeanosOnToast
NataliaHTTPS
Biodegradable Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For getting all the standard ornaments In the name of science Welcome to Outer Heaven. For coming in 2nd in the Ghostly Art Contest 2015  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Best Newcomer 2015
Friendliest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year January 2015 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

DSYTP

FUCKING N-O!

No copyright claims at all, aside from content ID match for My Johnny Test YTP and JT Collab.

Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

MemeKirisame

I tried to upload my Gravity Falls YTP from my vid.me to YouTube, but it got blocked immediately. Fuck YouTube, Vid.me is better.

Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (YTPMV) Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017_2 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

BimbelyGimbly

I tried to upload an earraped version of the Back at the Barnyard theme song, and guess who copyright claimed it immediately.

Brillemeister
9 hours ago, Heruru Meruru said:

One YTP I made of some potty training video back in 2010 got taken down for copyright reasons and I never backed it up, so it's lost to the sands of time. Most of the humor was "ha ha hoo ha I made this cartoon for two year olds say naughty words" so it's no huge loss.

Shush. Every vanished YTP is a huge loss. :(

6 hours ago, ravinrabbid123 said:

I've not had any videos of mine taken down so far (touch wood it stays like that), but I have had some content IDs slapped on, and while most of them don't affect me whatsoever, a couple are blocked in certain countries, mostly on the very few PMVs I made before and around the time I started making YTP. 

Seeing videos blocked but only in certain countries is interesting. My first YTPMV was blocked just yesterday in six countries (not including the UK, incidentally) but since one of them was the one I live in I can't download my own fuckin upload...

4 hours ago, MemeKirisame said:

I tried to upload my Gravity Falls YTP from my vid.me to YouTube, but it got blocked immediately. Fuck YouTube, Vid.me is better.

Is it really? Because I had a video blocked worldwide years ago that I need the world to see again...

Brillemeister
6 minutes ago, Waymu said:

juyUyB8.png

is it, though?

Oh fuck. Address? Are the copyright goons gonna come to my home and kneecap me or something?

Waymu
Just now, Brillemeister said:

Oh fuck. Address? Are the copyright goons gonna come to my home and kneecap me or something?

You need to do that regardless of the site when it comes to counter claims. But on the super copyrightless, superFREE vid.me, a Drake & Josh video gets taken down for copyright. It sucks?!!!!!!!

MemeKirisame

I've seen the rules of vid.me and I think people may get a DMCA notice from YouTubers or VidMers.

Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (Regular) / Top 10 Videos of Aug 2017 (YTPMV) Top 10 Videos of Jul 2017_2 Submitting 5 videos to the Video System

KingGr33n

I remembered when i uploaded a good horrid Henry YTP and it just got blocked in 2 seconds.

For staying strike free for 1 year. Submitting 5 videos to the Video System Lucario