TyrannosaurusReich

The Horror/Monster Movie Thread

DON'T GO IN THERE, IT'S A POLL!!!  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite horror franchise?

• Aliens
    • Evil Dead
    • Nightmare on Elm Street
    • The Universal Monsters
    • The Walking Dead
    • George A. Romero's "Living Dead" series
    • American Horror Story
    • The Twilight Zone
    • Predator
    • The Grudge
    • Friday the 13th
    • Ringu/The Ring
    • Gremlins
    • Hellraiser
    • Ghostbusters
    • Other

12 replies to this topic

TyrannosaurusReich

why not?

I saw It (the remake) a few days ago. Pretty damn good. Definitely deserves the praise and money it's been making. That third act is nuts.

I'm gonna check out A Quiet Place when I can, I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Oh, and watch Return of the Living Dead. It's good. Like, crazy, insane, stupidly high amounts of good.

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

TVBForever

Wait, so no love for The Shining with Jack Nicholson?

Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018 (Classic) Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

TyrannosaurusReich

i can only include so many poll options, kid

For writing at least 10,000 words in blog entries For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years HHHUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLKKKKKKK!!! Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 12 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 241 days before it was shut down

TyrannosaurusReich

Wow, this made me realize that there actually aren't that many horror movies where the monster is a big cat. That's....actually kind of surprising now that I think about it.

Spoiler

also "dick maas"

TyrannosaurusReich

Saw season 1 of the Castlevania show today. It's.....pretty decent, it's a bit expositiony for my tastes, but the animation is solid and the creature designs are neat. Looking forward to season 2.

TVBForever

I have seen The First Purge and Unfriended: Dark Web not too long ago and one is pretty bad, and the other... well, let's say it's even worse than the predecessor.

Top 10 Videos of Mar 2018 (Classic) Submitting 50 videos to the Video System Having 40 5-star ratings on your videos For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos

TyrannosaurusReich

It's a shame too because both of those franchises are good ideas for movies, to me at least.

TVBForever

I honestly compare The Purge to both Saw and Final Destination.

They are franchises that have great concepts and I would be lying if some of their respective entries in either of their franchises haven't been decent. (i.e. Purge (Anarchy, Election Year), Saw (the first film, II, VI, Jigsaw), Final Destination (the second film, the third film, the fifth film)). Hell, the fanbase to either films have been actually really respectful and I really like that a whole lot. Though it's sad that some films that come out in the franchises don't properly tie in their storylines the more they come out.

SharkhamAsylum

I've always thought that The Purge would work better as an anthology television series. There's so much to do with the concept but every movie is just so fucking bland. My co-worker and I were talking about it a month ago and came up with a bunch of different concepts for episodes of "Purge TV": a lite-remake of Assault on Precinct 13 where a Planned Parenthood's staff have to defend themselves and facility from militant anti-abortionists, a heist pulled off by college graduates breaking into a credit company to destroy their debt/loan records, a comedic episode about a bumbling cheapskate avoiding all the carnage just so they can plunder bulk toilet paper from CostCo, a visceral revenge short about a sexual assault support group hunting down their abusers...there's a lot of potential here for much more intimate, character-driven stories. But nah.

And this was a week before they actually did announce a Purge TV series.......which I do not have high hopes for lmao

For staying strike free for 7 years. Member with Funniest Posts 2018 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For the category of Best Newcomer.

MAZZ0Murder

Saw it Thursday... and despite cliché's I thought it was competent enough... but it's got like a 17%? lol whatever, liked it enough anyway :P

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years It's a little itchy. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - "Chick-Fil-A-Ghey_Spaghetti" (Classic) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 73 days before it was shut down From scrubbing all the floors in Hyrule to pinching Wendy's pennies and much more, this medal commemorating poop uploading is hereby awarded to you! Ten matches! Five matches! For meeting up with Yenehckcid! Thanks for being Strike-Free! Congrats

TyrannosaurusReich

Apparently it's really generic and paint-by-the-numbers as far as horror movies go. I don't even care about Slender Man as a monster but still, it's a shame what Sony (allegedly) did to chop this movie to bits. I'm sure someone could squeeze some creepy, unique imagery out of a creepypasta monster in a theatrical film. I mean, someone did that with Candle Cove on television and that worked out decently well.

MAZZ0Murder
41 minutes ago, TyrannosaurusReich said:

Apparently it's really generic and paint-by-the-numbers as far as horror movies go. I don't even care about Slender Man as a monster but still, it's a shame what Sony (allegedly) did to chop this movie to bits. I'm sure someone could squeeze some creepy, unique imagery out of a creepypasta monster in a theatrical film. I mean, someone did that with Candle Cove on television and that worked out decently well.

Yeah... pretty much, but the actors were decent enough. They really could've done more with Slendey being in the shot without you realizing it much like the eye test photos people have creatively done with him. The times they did, it's pretty darn clever because once he moves you see he really was just there in the background the whole time... but IDK why they don't do this since it seems like a Slendy staple...

There are times he looks like he was pulled from the game, but other times (probably due to the suit actor) that he looks pretty eerie and creepy. The Slender madness was portrayed well too...

So yeah, they probably could've pulled something better out of it... but thank goodness it wasn't more found footage stuff. Maybe that's why I liked it since it was above that expectation XD

For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years It's a little itchy. For staying warn free for 9 years For completing Link's Awakening during the community challenge. For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For collecting all the bronze cards For completing a Secret Santa Art exchange prior to 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - "Chick-Fil-A-Ghey_Spaghetti" (Classic) August 2012 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 73 days before it was shut down From scrubbing all the floors in Hyrule to pinching Wendy's pennies and much more, this medal commemorating poop uploading is hereby awarded to you! Ten matches! Five matches! For meeting up with Yenehckcid! Thanks for being Strike-Free! Congrats