Sign in to follow this  
RabbitSnore

Restoring the old forum and the Chewiki

133 replies to this topic

RabbitSnore

Obviously, we just had our first major crash.

No, it was not Pimps hacking the forum or the database or anything like that. It was a major technical problem which had a relatively simple solution.

It was not without loss however. The Chewiki had to be forcibly pulled down to rescue the rest of the site.

Allow me to spare you the specific techno-babble of the incident and just say that the Chewiki was a heavy burden on the server's disk space. This is actually most likely what collapsed Conrad's old server as well. That and a combination of how shit the old forum software was (and it was more shit than the sewers of New York City).

The solution to this is really quite simply, though: upgrade the server hardware.

I would go and install another hard drive on the server myself, but I'd have to break into Ubiquity's facility to do that. Instead I'm going to ask for something that's I've been asking for a while now:

Donations.

It's going to cost us quite a bit to get a better hard drive.

In the meantime, I will continue to work my ass off for you guys and make sure this thing runs all right.

You can post your questions, comments, praise, and flames here.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 194 days before it was shut down For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaayoo! More like test-icles lol<br />
<br />
My test bunny. :3 My brother in arms...my 5 hour energy at 4 in the morning. Thanks for everything. LOU<br />
<br />
LOU ALBANO Sonic luvers 4ever. Hell yeah. For taking part. Keanu... From strongbad, who loved your match with Moogle. 25, holy fuck. 10 matches. 5 matches. You've been a very good rabbit. Big Boss salutes you, a true patriot. You should have wrote half of them...it would look a lot better... Poopcast, interview, countless other things. I think this award should be your face. Only, a bunny, and not Big Bird. Thanks for all the news, past and present. You deserve about a million of these, buddy. For winning the Great YouChew Cooking Contest!

Thereisnospoon303

y was the site down u suck

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

RabbitSnore

BLAME IT ON PIMPSAHOY AND GO HOME

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 194 days before it was shut down For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaayoo! More like test-icles lol<br />
<br />
My test bunny. :3 My brother in arms...my 5 hour energy at 4 in the morning. Thanks for everything. LOU<br />
<br />
LOU ALBANO Sonic luvers 4ever. Hell yeah. For taking part. Keanu... From strongbad, who loved your match with Moogle. 25, holy fuck. 10 matches. 5 matches. You've been a very good rabbit. Big Boss salutes you, a true patriot. You should have wrote half of them...it would look a lot better... Poopcast, interview, countless other things. I think this award should be your face. Only, a bunny, and not Big Bird. Thanks for all the news, past and present. You deserve about a million of these, buddy. For winning the Great YouChew Cooking Contest!

Thereisnospoon303

Your logic is irrefutable.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

Cortes

K ITS COOL

I'll try to donate a little somethin

For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos March 2012 - Classic For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • I'D DONATE, I HONESTLY WOULD.

BUT IT'S NOT AN EASY TASK CONVINCING MY FATHER TO LET ME USE HIS CREDIT CARD TO SPEND MY MONEY ON A FORUM ABOUT YOUTUBE POOP.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

TheDumbening

ITS ALL HIS FAULT

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 283 days before it was shut down

Chim
    I'D DONATE, I HONESTLY WOULD.

BUT IT'S NOT AN EASY TASK CONVINCING MY FATHER TO LET ME USE HIS CREDIT CARD TO SPEND MY MONEY ON A FORUM ABOUT YOUTUBE POOP.

^

Thereisnospoon303

ITS ALL HIS FAULT

HE'S HOLDING ME BACK

*throws something across the room*

Full Metal Kiwi

As soon as my second job starts pulling through, I may be able to donate something.

Either that or when my new credit card comes in.

Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

uncleer

I would donate something but how do i know your not just going to spend my money on woman and booze

For being on the Vanilla forums for 82 days before it was shut down Thanks.

randomcontributor

How much will the new server cost?

FIVEFOUSUN DORRARS?

I'd donate, but randomcontributor has -1 card of debit.

For staying warn free for 9 years For meeting Markie! For getting 20 awards Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years March 2012 - "SOME ASIAN GUYS FIGHT OVER A ROOM KEY" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos December 2011 - Regular, Overall, Classic For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Well done, Link. For being on the Vanilla forums for 72 days before it was shut down 25 poops in the showroom. For uploading 5 YTP's in the Showroom.

RabbitSnore

Hm. It seems that I was misinformed and we cannot merely upgrade to component that needs improvement.

Crap...

This means that we'll need donations to curb a higher monthly cost instead of just a one-time upgrade like I wanted. TINS, Dop, and I aren't rich, and if you guys want more stuff on the site (and I would rather like to put more stuff on this site), it sadly comes down to money.

Looks like it'll be around $25 a month higher than what we're paying now. That may not seem too bad until you realize that the staff doesn't have a ton of money, for obvious reasons.

<br />
<br />

RabbitSnore

I should add that unless we get this upgrade, there is absolutely no chance that the Chewiki will ever be put up again, nor will the old forum ever get a chance to be archived on this server. We also won't be able to put any other cool additions to the site that we might think of.

<br />
<br />

Pullahoko

Well...

Don't you have any left over from what I gave last time? :(

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 283 days before it was shut down THANKS FOR BEING SO GOOD Thanks, Hoko.

RabbitSnore
    Well...

Don't you have any left over from what I gave last time? :(

I spent it all on ale and whores.

No, actually, we do still have some left over from the last time bout of donations, for which I am extremely grateful, however whatever is leftover from last time isn't enough to cover this coming month's server bill, and that will mean that TINS and I will of course have to kick in a bunch of money.

We simply can't afford to pay even more than we already allotted for the bills.

I'm not begging for donations here, I'm just letting you guys know that if you want this, someone is going to have to kick some cash our way, unless one of the staff gets a kickass job somewhere somehow.

<br />
<br />

Pullahoko

This is mostly about the Chewiki, right?

Because in my humble opinion, it can go. I've never used it.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 283 days before it was shut down THANKS FOR BEING SO GOOD Thanks, Hoko.

zoc
    This is mostly about the Chewiki, right?

Because in my humble opinion, it can go. I've never used it.

>:0

User with Funniest Signatures 2017
Friendliest User 2018 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Sign in to follow this