The Stick

Bad/Weird/Cheesy/Forgettable/Worst Cartoons

3,371 replies to this topic

JimPaladin
  • Banned
  • On 6/28/2017 at 7:57 AM, Ferg said:

China is easily the worst offender for the most bootleg-y country ever.

Man that's an understatement. China bootlegs fucking anything and everything and a lot of their national laws say that, if you want to market your product inside China, you have to hand over your blueprints/design documents/etc to the country so they can distribute it to their own manufacturers and pretty much undermine your product... using a cheaper knockoff of your own product.

China's days are numbered though. They've gotten so big so fast because of a huge stream of rural migrants washing into cities to work in factories over the last 30 years, but now those migrants are drying up and China is about to lose its expendable labor force. It's something that is literally going to change the entire world.

For writing the guest article "What is a Musical Leitmotif and How Do You Use It?" Smartest User 2017
Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 For staying strike free for 7 years. For staying strike free for 1 year. For staying strike free for 3 years. For staying strike free for 5 years. For being on the Vanilla forums for 107 days before it was shut down

Ben

I'm not very surprised that a North Korean propaganda film received a dub. There are Juche apologists outside of North Korea, so I imagine that the dubbing company made it with them in mind, assuming that they have ties to the North Korean government and they weren't just shamelessly doing it for money. 

However, I'm not sure why Italy would allow a company with apparent ties to North Korea to operate like this in the first place. 

For staying strike free for 5 years. For getting 20 awards For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Super Metroid complete You've GOT to be kidding Best Writer 2017 Millhouse, I'm so sorry! It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Girla PurpleHeart

WHAT THE FUCK SONY!?

First, they make the Emoji Movie, and now they're making a Christian film that looks very insulting. I'm sorry, but this is going to be a disaster when this movie comes out.

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

Ferg
    On 7/17/2017 at 0:12 PM, Ben said:

I'm not very surprised that a North Korean propaganda film received a dub. There are Juche apologists outside of North Korea, so I imagine that the dubbing company made it with them in mind, assuming that they have ties to the North Korean government and they weren't just shamelessly doing it for money. 

However, I'm not sure why Italy would allow a company with apparent ties to North Korea to operate like this in the first place. 

Don't quote me on this as true, but I may have a theory as to how that dub project came about. The dub may have been made with tourists traveling to North Korea in mind, with them potentially buying DVDs/VCDs of the show as souvenirs, hence why the more violent scenes may have been cut out or edited for the sake of people living in countries with higher sensitivities.

But with the whole Otto Warmbier death thing, several recent UN sanctions against North Korea, and Donald Trump and Kim Jong-un continuously going against each other as enemies, if that idea were indeed true, then that plan's pretty much killed from the get-go.

For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Ben

It makes sense that North Korea might want to offer the show on DVD to tourists, but given that the show is violent and yet apparently intended for children, I don't know if they care that much about offending others. 

For staying strike free for 5 years. For getting 20 awards For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus Super Metroid complete You've GOT to be kidding Best Writer 2017 Millhouse, I'm so sorry! It sounds like you want ME more than you want this award. Season 2 For collecting all the silver cards For meeting Dark Fox! For completing The Wind Waker with all heart pieces during the community challenge. For completing Ocarina of Time during the community challenge. For having a blog featured For collecting all the bronze cards Best Writer 2016 For staying strike free for 3 years. Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For releasing an article about the journey of entering the Navy. Congratulations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

randomcontributor

I shot Mike a tweet a month ago asking about it and he really wasn't told about its origins as propaganda, so I think it was just nerfed as a generic kid's cartoon without the foreign distributor knowing or really caring about its political message.

2pKCvPP.png

Also I didn't post about it until now because I was slightly embarrassed about how I said "Yikes!" in the third tweet

For staying warn free for 9 years For meeting Markie! For getting 20 awards Testing the IPS 4.0 Update Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 100 videos Chewbot gives congrats for reaching this poop milestone Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for having 25 videos with a 5 star rating Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years March 2012 - "SOME ASIAN GUYS FIGHT OVER A ROOM KEY" (Classic) Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos December 2011 - Regular, Overall, Classic For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. Well done, Link. For being on the Vanilla forums for 72 days before it was shut down 25 poops in the showroom. For uploading 5 YTP's in the Showroom.

zoc
    2 hours ago, Fretless said:

A fanime starring Jaden Smith. What the fuck.

I don't know why but I laughed my ass off at how the main character says "She's possessed? That sucks" like it's a minor inconvenience akin to spilling milk

User with Funniest Signatures 2017 SURE! WHAT'S A BIG SISTER FOR? For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Thanks for the donation Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Ferg
    4 hours ago, Ben said:

It makes sense that North Korea might want to offer the show on DVD to tourists, but given that the show is violent and yet apparently intended for children, I don't know if they care that much about offending others. 

I'm pretty sure the one who made the edits was Mondo TV, not the original North Korean studio behind the show. Still, I do wonder why the dub even exists, edits or not, and what it could possibly be intended to cater to other than tourists....

For staying strike free for 7 years. Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying strike free for 5 years. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Ferg

So, is Made in Abyss the most disturbing anime to ever be broadcast on the Japanese airwaves this millenium?

Nope. Not even close. That honor actually goes to a nearly two decade-old low-budget kids CG Ryuji Masuda-directed anime that goes by the name of Popee the Performer. Basically, it's what you get if David Lynch directed the Itchy and Scratchy shorts from The Simpsons and set it in a circus. That anime makes Made in Abyss' most disturbing and insane episodes look like Sesame Street in comparison.

(Spoilered due to incredibly disturbing violence and nightmare-inducing weirdness throughout, as well as the titular character being a grade-A downright psychotic dick. Also, poor Kedamono (the purple wolf in the mask))

Spoiler

And here's a deathreel of the whole show:

And yes, I did say this is a "kids" show in its native Japan. It was broadcast on the Kids Station network, and it wasn't on an evening or late night slot. Then again, Kids Station also broadcast Fate/Zero and Narutaru, so shouldn't be TOO huge of a surprise.

Also the creator's wife recently drew a crossover picture with Popee hanging out with Sans from Undertale, and Toby Fox loved it, so there's that, I guess.

Girla PurpleHeart

To be honest, I don't mind gory animation, but when it comes to disturbing content, I avoided it. I'm OK with blood, it's just I really don't like shows that has gruesome images. Take Superjail for example, the content contains lots of gore and vomit and that's why I stopped watching it because of it.

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest

For participating in the 2017 Spooky Poop Contest For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years 5 Completed Matches! *Victory Chime*  For participating in the 2015 Ghostly Art Contest! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos You participated in ten collaborations! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 36 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 20 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 239 days before it was shut down

Ferg

Yeah, there's just something about the cheap-ass slightly-above-Brinquedo-quality CG that makes it all the more unnerving than, say, something high-budget like Made in Abyss. Yes, I know, one is a black comedy supposedly for kids, while the other is a serious drama definitely aimed at young adults, but still. I guess one could say Abyss is more..."sane"?? I guess?? Don't know what other word fits. Yet, people can't look away from it, and can sometimes even laugh. It's that intriguing. Like watching a slow-motion train wreck. Apparently, it has a sizable fanbase in Japan and the West solely for that reason.

(Before you knock me by saying "oh, of course the CGI won't look good at all, it's an old 17-year-old show, you dimwit", keep in mind that in the same year the show aired in Japan, the first season of Jimmy Neutron was beginning development, and VeggieTales was already running for seven years with 12 released videos at that point. Oh, also the Donkey Kong Country cartoon was ending its run by then too. Yet, if the CG were any "better", it just wouldn't be the same unique experience)

Popee just feels like something so drug-induced that it would fit right in as something Adult Swim would show at 3AM alongside Tim and Eric, or play over and over as an April Fool's joke.