• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
Billion

General Vegas FAQ Thread

730 replies to this topic

Billion   
Billion

I've noticed quite bit of people over the time I've been here asking how to use pretty basic features in Vegas; how do I zoom in? How do I create ear rape? Questions that have been answered numerous times that I think it's time for the thread that does it all, brother.

Keep in mind this page is technically a work in progress and therefore isn't a complete FAQ list, and if there's more common questions of Vegas that I didn't cover, or I made a mistake, let me or a mod know.

Basic Keyboard Shortcuts (QWERTY keyboards)

CTRL + Shortcuts These are more universal shortcuts used with most applications by holding down CTRL and pressing the specified button, but I'll list them anyway.
Click - Select event without deselecting other events
Shift + Click - select all clips between two selected clips
Z - Undo
Y - Redo
X - Cut (Removes selected events)
C - Copy (Copies selected events)
V - Paste (Pastes whatever was last cut out or copied)
B - Opens a box called "Paste Repeat," allowing you to paste multiple amounts of the selected clip without repeatedly pressing CTRL + V.
A - Selects all

Editing Shortcuts
S - Split: Used in Normal Edit, with your editing cursor, to split any event at where the cursor was placed. If an event(s) is selected, it will only split the selected event(s). If no events are selected, the split command will be applied to every event that contains the editing cursor on every track.
= or + Increases pitch on highlighted audio events
- Decreases pitch on highlighted audio events
G - Groups together selected events as though they were from the same A/V source file, so that moving one event in the group moves them all.
U - Ungroups selected events, allowing you to manipulate each separately.

Video FAQs

-

How do I zoom in or out, move, or flip an event (Pan/Crop & Track Motion)
There are two ways to do this, one for zooming in an event and one for zooming in the whole track.

For an event, on the right side of every event should be a blue square. If it isn't there on an event, zoom in the editor either by scrolling or pressing Zoom In Time, and you'll see it. Click it and a small window will appear. This is the Event Pan/Crop window, which allows you to zoom, flip, move a video event.

To zoom: By clicking and holding a corner or the center of an edge of the event, you can zoom in and out by moving the mouse closer or farther away from the center of the video.
To move: Click and hold the event, and with the mouse you can move it to a specified area
To flip: Right-click, and select Flip Horizontal or Flip Vertical.

To move or manipulate an entire track works in a similar fashion, and it�s called Track Motion, listed at the side of every video track, as two squares of different sizes.

-How can I make stutters easier to make?
Use copy and paste a lot, and take what you already have, and mix it up a bit.

-How do I shorten or lengthen a video?
Select the video event you wish to expand, and hold CTRL, then drag the mouse in or outward.

-For the source, only the audio plays but the video appears as black. Why is this?
The likely case is that the video codec isn't recognized by Sony Vegas. It typically does this with AVI files. You should convert it using another program to a different format, such as WMV.

Audio FAQs

-

How do I use audio effects?

Highlight an audio event, right-click, and select Apply Non-Real-Time Event FX. There you have a list to choose from.

Once you edited the audio the way you wanted you have to save the audio as a clip of its own. It will automatically list it as [videofilename] Take 2 most of the time. If you already made an audio effect of the same name, make sure not to save over it, and mark it as Take 3, otherwise it will screw up the audio effect you edited beforehand.

-How do I create ear rape?
Ear rape just is turning the volume up really loud, which can be done with multiple audio effects, such as Distortion, but I find Paragraphic EQ better for creating more unique-sounding, but it's harder to use than Distortion.

Here is a video tutorial by Insineratehymn on making ear rape with Distortion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBGSmdMQI0Y

-How do I make G-Major?
The idea of "G-Major" in poops is that it combines a few layers of the same audio but each in different pitch. There are plenty of combination you could make that different people will tell you how it's done but it's generally done by adding multiple audio tracks, placing the desired audio in the same timeline for each track, and alter the pitch so that you can hear both high-and-low-pitched versions of the audio playing at once, giving it the demonic sound it has.

Keyframes guide by THISCHANNELHASVIDEOS

General description:

Every Track Motion, Pan/Crop, video effect, transition, and media generator can be manipulated semi-automatically and made to change gradually by use of keyframes.
Keyframes are edit points placed at various spots on the timeline, allowing you to change a rotation's degree, glow's intensity, text's color, and many other things without making a new track/event/generator.
By default, every Track Motion, Pan/Crop, video effect, transition, and media generator has exactly one keyframe at the very start that contains all of its properties.

The more useful thing that keyframes do is automatically fill the gap between keyframes. You can think of this as having automatically generated, invisible keyframes between every pair of actual keyframes. For example, if you make a red solid color generator, place a second keyframe at 3 seconds in, and change the new keyframe to be blue instead, then the video event will start red, gradually change to blue over the course of 3 seconds, and stay blue.

How to use:

To create a new keyframe, click on or move the editing cursor to the place where you want the new keyframe to be, and click on �Create Keyframe (insert) at the bottom.
Alternatively, you can double-click on the desired location to create a new keyframe.

Existing keyframes can be moved by click-and-drag and copied by either of two methods:
1) right-click on an existing keyframe, drag it to a new location, and select 'Copy' to copy-paste it there.
2) left-click on an existing keyframe, press CTRL+C to copy, move the editing cursor to the future copy's location, and press CTRL+V to paste.
In method B, keyframes are placed in the copy buffer, and can thus be copied between multiple keyframe tabs of the same type and even multiple instances of the program.

Keyframes can also be selected, and must be for their information to be edited. Selecting keyframes works the same way as selecting most things in Sony Vegas and in most Windows programs: Click on a keyframe to select it and deselect all others, CTRL+click to select a keyframe without deselecting others, and SHIFT+click to select the last two keyframes clicked on and every keyframe between them while deselecting all others.
If you edit information with no keyframe selected, a keyframe is automatically generated at the location of the editing cursor and selected. If you edit information with multiple keyframes selected, only the first keyframe to be selected is edited.

Lastly, each keyframe has a mode, which is the bias of where to change information more rapidly when filling the gap between two keyframes. The mode between any two keyframes is that of the first keyframe, and is indicated by that keyframe's color.
By default, every keyframe's mode is linear (gray), meaning that every frame between a linear keyframe and the next keyframe changes equally. In the right-click menu, you can change a keyframe's mode to Fast (green), Slow (yellow), Smooth (blue), Sharp (pink), or Hold (red).
-Fast actually means decelerating and has no baring on overall speed. Changes are greatest near the fast keyframe and become smaller over time until reaching the next keyframe.
-Like fast, Slow also has no actual baring on speed, and really means accelerating. Changes are smallest near the slow keyframe and gradually become greater.
-Smooth is a succession of slow and fast. Changes are small close to the smooth keyframe but grow gradually, becoming largest in the middle of the smooth keyframe and the keyframe after it, then shrinking again as they approach the second keyframe.
-Sharp is the opposite of smooth: Changes begin large, then decelerate, then accelerate.
-Hold means no change. The motion/effect/generator enters a static state upon reaching the hold keyframe, then changes instantly upon reaching the keyframe after it.

Masking tutorial by The_Furry_Master

Masking is copping a video clip and still having a part of a video masked. Please note: This only works if you have Vegas 5 or 7 and the Professional versions works too.

How to use:

Click on the pan/crop button on your imported video or image, next click on the "mask" checkmark box then click on "Anchor creation tool" to mask out the video or image you selected.

Now you need to draw around what object but it's not like drawing in paint you need click and click again and you'll see the dots connect, when your done masking around like a shape of a box you'll see the masked video or image is still and everything else will turn black expect the video or image.

Note: When you masked only one keyframe it doesn't lock on automatically the video or image you masked you need to still mask by one keyframe at a time.

For information click on these Tutorials:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slnTDtETMgg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ny9JE9bgg

If you feel this first post needs to be expanded somehow, PLEASE LET ME OR THE CAFE STAFF KNOW. Thank you.

Edited by Billion
Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog entry featured. User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years March 2014 - Classic You won! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down For uploading 5 videos into the Showroom. For completing at least 5 YTP Tennis matches. Gee, there sure is no time around here! My sword's for dinner.
YOU GET COOKIE

Phoenon   
Phoenon

Wow, I didn't know about a lot of these shortcuts, This is very helpful.

Requesting Sticky.

For staying warn free for 9 years User with Funniest Signatures 2015 Coming in 2nd in the Super Smash Smackdown! for Youchew&Wii U Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years May 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 233 days before it was shut down Placing #2 in the Wheel Gator Speed Run. You're now certified potty trained. Go get 'em tiger.

Billion   
Billion
oh you people and your vegas
I'd like to see you make a General WMM/Premiere/EditStudio FAQ thread. Go on, missy.
Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For having a blog entry featured. User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years March 2014 - Classic You won! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 68 days before it was shut down For uploading 5 videos into the Showroom. For completing at least 5 YTP Tennis matches. Gee, there sure is no time around here! My sword's for dinner.
YOU GET COOKIE

Fiddlesticks411   
Fiddlesticks411
oh you people and your vegas
I'd like to see you make a General WMM/Premiere/EditStudio FAQ thread. Go on, missy.

maybe I will

For staying warn free for 9 years Designed cards #9, #64, #77, #86, #94

Illustrated cards  #42, #66-67, #96

Designed logo, exterior card design, header image, banner, and shop items Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the 2015 YouChew Secret Santa Art Exchange For leaving something out for the Grinch and Robotnikclaus For getting all the standard ornaments Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking third place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Getting 2nd in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest For participating in the 2013 Ghostly Art Halloween contest Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For at least 100 contributions of Stan x Kyle erotica yutubepopp 3,000,000-love 15-love vidya Queen never shits For not being socially retarded! Here you go.

Phoenon   
Phoenon

But seriously, does hitting = and - really raise and lower audio events? For both of my YTPMVs i've been going into clip/video properties, choosing pitch shift audio effect and choosing manually what I want the pitch to be...Bah.

For staying warn free for 9 years User with Funniest Signatures 2015 Coming in 2nd in the Super Smash Smackdown! for Youchew&Wii U Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years May 2014 - Overall Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 233 days before it was shut down Placing #2 in the Wheel Gator Speed Run. You're now certified potty trained. Go get 'em tiger.

McMaNGOS   
McMaNGOS

Hmm, that's odd.

The = key doesn't increase the pitch for me, but the + key does.

I wonder if this is something related to me having a keyboard with a Swedish layout, but I dunno.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 202 days before it was shut down Hi it's Dop with the Slap Chop For taking part. 10. Dinner 5 OOOOH WRETCHED CHILD pingas Interview for one second collab. Thanks for the cookehs!

Billion   
Billion

Could be. The = and + key is the same thing on mine.

I'll take note of that though.

YOU GET COOKIE

13tongimp   
13tongimp

Sony Vegas Tutorials @ Pixel2Life

Loads of helpful stuff there when you get past the basics and want to dive into effects. I started off you Acid for music editing back when Sonic Foundry released it, so when I moved on to digital video editing, it was a natural step for me to go to Vegas. Since it is specifically designed for XP, I find it to be a really stable app on my system. Also, it just plain gets the job done and the interface isn't overly complicated. It has a nice timeline layout, and the menus all seem to be right in the place I would expect them to be in any other standard XP app. I find that with Adobe and other stuff, the first thing you have to is learn all the menu placements. Vegas also has great setups for video and transition effects, with a nice preview that accurate depicts what the output file is going to resemble. An accurate WYSIWYG display is so important in video editing.

Here are some other helpful sites:

http://vegas.digitalmedianet.com/articles/splasharticle.jsp?type=techniques

http://www.glennchan.info/articles/articles.html

http://www.expertvillage.com/video-seri ... -video.htm

http://www.jetdv.com/vegas/forum/viewfo ... bd62e4dfe6

http://onthelinemedia.com/tutorials/vegas.html

http://www.tutorialfinder.com/articles/ ... =SonyVegas

http://dillonp23.net/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=43

http://www.lynda.com/home/DisplayCourse.aspx?lpk2=235

Here's a good morph plugin or standalone app: http://www.debugmode.com/winmorph/

Then, of course there are all the YouTube tutorials you can find via a search: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... rch=Search

Billion   
Billion

This isn't a tutorial thread, genius. It's an FAQ thread, and I made it with this in mind: To clear up questions that a lot of up-and-coming poopers tend to ask. An easy place to cite. I don't think most Vegas tutorials would list ear rape anyway.

But thanks for the copy and paste, m-boy.

YOU GET COOKIE

13tongimp   
13tongimp
This isn't a tutorial thread, genius. It's an FAQ thread, and I made it with this in mind: To clear up questions that a lot of up-and-coming poopers tend to ask. An easy place to cite. I don't think most Vegas tutorials would list ear rape anyway.

But thanks for the copy and paste, m-boy.

Well EXCUSE me for trying to help with links to tutorials, which is what your FAQ is. Sheesh, don't be such an asshole to some trying to contribute.

XBR4D3NX   
XBR4D3NX

You might also want to put CTRL + click to highlight specific clips, and CTRL + Shift + click to highlight all clips in between two clips. Oh--and 13tongimp's site are helpful, because at least the one I clicked explained composite mode.

For being on the Vanilla forums for 141 days before it was shut down

Billion   
Billion

Alright, I'll add those and the tutorials. Why not?

YOU GET COOKIE

Radock   
Radock
  • Banned
  • FINALLY. This was long overdue.

Thanks Billion.

Radock   
    Radock
  • Banned
  • I deserve credit for posting in this thread and giving positive feedback

yiff yiff

Oh and another type of ear rape that works for me is: