Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the site was down

82 posts in this topic

Posted

First, I very much apologize that we had to shut down the forums for an entire day. I like to come on here as much as the next guy, and I also get a little bit irritated/pissed/whatever when stuff like this happens, and in this case, for so especially long. We're not exactly the bunch that likes leaving you folks out. It would be too gay luigi, even for someone like me.

Regardless, the reason for the site's temporary shutdown was this:

Our clock fucked up. Bad.

Sometimes, when the forum has one of those hiccup crashes, you might notice that for a short while, the clock is wonky. Posts appear pages behind, and everything is a mess for generally 3-5 minutes before the clock is reset to the proper time.

In essence, this is what happened here, but on a much stranger scale. Hundreds of topics that had been made by users in the past now found themselves with posts dated in the future. meaning that any posts made to these normal topics would be sent back no matter what the clock was reset to. Meaning that a quick-fix remedy (which I usually would do when the mini crashes happen) did not work this time.

Unfortunately, in this circumstance, the best possible solution was to wait it out until the forum caught up to the clock, so to speak. I apologize for such a vexatious remedy, because it was just as irritating for us trying to figure out what exactly went wrong.

We don't know exactly what caused this, but we do have a few guesses (server related, Firefox related), and we definitely hope that this little thing doesn't happen again, and if it does, not for such a length of time. Again, we apologize for inconveniencing all of you with this. Thank you for being patient.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

Posted

Yeah...

Rabbit told me about this earlier today. Hope you guys get it fixed soon.

Meeting tabull Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Doing enough shops in your time to be able to tell by the pixels Well, my gosh. What can I say except: you're going to Hyrule, and this is the final answer heard all around the world, he's won a million chewbucks! For having a blog entry featured: Stock-Aitken-Waterman/PWL Picks #1 User with Coolest Avatars 2014, User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Funniest Signatures, Best Musician 2015 March 2012 - Overall, Regular, Classic / April 2015 - Overall, Regular, Classic, YTPMV March 2012 - "Syncro-Voxing The Glory Days Of Retro Uniqueness" (Brain rape/Rape-core) / May 2015 - "The King Goes Senile" (Overall, Classic) Tennis Staff Member (June 2009 - August 2011) You won 20 medals. Congrats! 25 videos in the Poop Showroom. Awards contribution (Top 10 and WMM medals). MMMMMM...richer! Joined Vanilla on February of '08. YouChew 1984, Static TVs, Banjo-Kazooie Sign, and many others. For service. Dinero Remained 'strike-free' for at least 3 years. April Fools' Trivia. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For posting 5 of your own YTP's in the Showroom. Participated in 10 successful collabs. Participated in the WMM Tourney. Participated in the Poop Tennis Season. Winner of a organized Tennis Tournament (WMM Tourney). Completed 10 Poop Tennis matches. Completed 5 Poop Tennis matches. Strike free for a whole year. Organizing the WMM Tourney with Strong414Bad. Winner of the Windows Movie Maker Tennis Tourney.

Posted

While the clock was fucked up, Dopply and I decided it would be a good idea to fix the search function by generating a word index of all the posts on the forum, since it takes a long time to generate and it exhausts a hefty supply of system resources. This was to make the best of the downtime.

The search index generation ran much longer than expected, but it was too far gone to give up when the clock had reached the correct time, so we decided to keep the forum closed so that the system did not suffer more exhaustion from running the forum at full steam as well as indexing every single post on the forum.

I apologize for this.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 194 days before it was shut down For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaayoo! More like test-icles lol<br />
<br />
My test bunny. :3 My brother in arms...my 5 hour energy at 4 in the morning. Thanks for everything. LOU<br />
<br />
LOU ALBANO Sonic luvers 4ever. Hell yeah. For taking part. Keanu... From strongbad, who loved your match with Moogle. 25, holy fuck. 10 matches. 5 matches. You've been a very good rabbit. Big Boss salutes you, a true patriot. You should have wrote half of them...it would look a lot better... Poopcast, interview, countless other things. I think this award should be your face. Only, a bunny, and not Big Bird. Thanks for all the news, past and present. You deserve about a million of these, buddy. For winning the Great YouChew Cooking Contest!

Posted

While the clock was fucked up, Dopply and I decided it would be a good idea to fix the search function by generating a word index of all the posts on the forum, since it takes a long time to generate and it exhausts a hefty supply of system resources. This was to make the best of the downtime.

The search index generation ran much longer than expected, but it was too far gone to give up when the clock had reached the correct time, so we decided to keep the forum closed so that the system did not suffer more exhaustion from running the forum at full steam as well as indexing every single post on the forum.

I apologize for this.

That's okay. I'm glad to see that you're fixing the search function now. And like I said earlier, I really appreciate all of the work you guys put into this Forum.

Meeting tabull Chewbot gives congrats for having 40 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Doing enough shops in your time to be able to tell by the pixels Well, my gosh. What can I say except: you're going to Hyrule, and this is the final answer heard all around the world, he's won a million chewbucks! For having a blog entry featured: Stock-Aitken-Waterman/PWL Picks #1 User with Coolest Avatars 2014, User with Coolest Avatars 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Funniest Signatures, Best Musician 2015 March 2012 - Overall, Regular, Classic / April 2015 - Overall, Regular, Classic, YTPMV March 2012 - "Syncro-Voxing The Glory Days Of Retro Uniqueness" (Brain rape/Rape-core) / May 2015 - "The King Goes Senile" (Overall, Classic) Tennis Staff Member (June 2009 - August 2011) You won 20 medals. Congrats! 25 videos in the Poop Showroom. Awards contribution (Top 10 and WMM medals). MMMMMM...richer! Joined Vanilla on February of '08. YouChew 1984, Static TVs, Banjo-Kazooie Sign, and many others. For service. Dinero Remained 'strike-free' for at least 3 years. April Fools' Trivia. For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For posting 5 of your own YTP's in the Showroom. Participated in 10 successful collabs. Participated in the WMM Tourney. Participated in the Poop Tennis Season. Winner of a organized Tennis Tournament (WMM Tourney). Completed 10 Poop Tennis matches. Completed 5 Poop Tennis matches. Strike free for a whole year. Organizing the WMM Tourney with Strong414Bad. Winner of the Windows Movie Maker Tennis Tourney.

Posted

Alright. It's good to know that it's been down for a good reason.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 244 days before it was shut down Again, for taking p-a-aaaart. For t-t-t-t-taking paaart TEEEEN FIVE GEWD. WMM tourney! Great! News articles here and there.

Posted

it's perfectly fine, bros.

i can see why you're so stressed over this, and i'm very thankful you've managed to bring it back up. i apologize that this happened.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Congratulations on getting the award you've longed to get for the longest time now! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years January 2013 - Brain rape/Rape-core Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For uploading a Lou Albano/SMBSS video to the Showroom during our special LouChew week. For being on the Vanilla forums for 87 days before it was shut down

Posted

Well, as long as it's back, I'm happy.

For staying strike free for 5 years. toot toot sanic warrior Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years February 2013 - YTPMV For being on the Vanilla forums for 157 days before it was shut down ralewcard Can you guess who, it's a mystery? Great job! Thanks! For Sonic's birthday contest.

Posted

What really happened:

Ing.

User with Coolest Avatars 2015
Most Likely to Rule the World 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2015, Smartest User 2015, Favorite Staff Member 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for your generosity. For the category Most Likely To Rule The World. For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down COULD IT BE YOURS For being an absolutely incredible moderator. I and the rest of the staff are indebted to you. Om nom FUCKING nom

Posted

A-okay with me.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for having 52 5-star ratings on your videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015 Met Wasted May 2012 - "Donkey Kong Gets Laid at Least Once" (Classic) December 2011 - Classic Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 23 videos Posting after Dopply Dramatic-ass CD-i. For WINNIN'. For playin'. See them search me, watch them rape... YOUCHEWERS ARE A SUPERIOR SPECIES<br />
<br />
YOU'RE RIDE THE CAT, INITIALS R C For lots of Chewiki service. WalrusGuy interview. For news writing.

Posted

What really happened:

Ing.

Yes.

For being on the Vanilla forums for 208 days before it was shut down

Posted

Same here.

Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

Posted

yeah, it's no problem at all.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 35 days before it was shut down mod.def Fuck I dunno TITS Thanks, mot.

Posted

Same here.

Me too

Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 213 days before it was shut down 5 matches! YOUR WILL TO HAVE NO STRIKES Thanks for the cookies!

Posted

No, I'm being serious. Look, an actual converation on the mod forum:

who broke the forum i demand answers or i will go on angry rampage >=(

it was me i dropped the screw in the forum

Here's the traitor your majesty
please your omnipotence have mercy
after you've fixed all the clocks on the forum then we can talk about mercy

take him away

yes my liege
Hey I'm here too let me say something

I can promise you this is what really happened. Trust me, my Dad works at Nintendo.

User with Coolest Avatars 2015
Most Likely to Rule the World 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, User with Coolest Signatures 2015, Smartest User 2015, Favorite Staff Member 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Thanks a lot for your generosity. For the category Most Likely To Rule The World. For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down COULD IT BE YOURS For being an absolutely incredible moderator. I and the rest of the staff are indebted to you. Om nom FUCKING nom

Posted

Cool, now I can get back to posting about 3 times a day. :D

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For being on the Vanilla forums for 192 days before it was shut down

Posted

Fucking staff.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year For Ohayocon, and making it such an amazing success! For all the lago love. For service. For organizing the amazing Ohayocon! Thanks for the cookies! Rabbit liked them, too.

Posted

No, I'm being serious. Look, an actual converation on the mod forum:

it was me i dropped the screw in the forum

Here's the traitor your majesty
please your omnipotence have mercy
after you've fixed all the clocks on the forum then we can talk about mercy

take him away

yes my liege
Hey I'm here too let me say something

I can promise you this is what really happened. Trust me, my Dad works at Nintendo.

lol'd hard

For staying strike free for 5 years. toot toot sanic warrior Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years February 2013 - YTPMV For being on the Vanilla forums for 157 days before it was shut down ralewcard Can you guess who, it's a mystery? Great job! Thanks! For Sonic's birthday contest.

Posted

Fucking staff.

magic_staff.jpg

Posted

Good thing everything is back to normal.

For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.