• Announcements

• Whelt

Metroid Game Challenge!   09/03/2017

There's a Metroid game challenge going on now. Check it out in the Games forum!
Futures Passed

The Musician's Lounge

3,309 replies to this topic

JazzDanceForChildren   
JazzDanceForChildren

I'm getting tired of FL locking up and crashing on me. Once I get some cash I'll probably grab some hardware modules so I can move away from software. It'll be a minimal setup, but I could probably make do for a while with a Korg ER-1 and my microkorg. The old electribes are dirt cheap on ebay too. The er-1 is obsolete, but it's still a pretty damn good VA drum module. You can get one in the neighborhood of $100-$130.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

Emperor Ing   
Emperor Ing

My college has a bunch of software and hardware to use for free, which is really cool. Keyboards, synthesizers, and programs to utilize them...

I might switch to that, in order to better make songs.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 6 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 67 days before it was shut down http://youchew.net/forum/index.php?/topic/20616-the-comparative-history-of-the-svirean-people/ For posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! For doing something awesome, I dunno. THANKS FOR THE HELP, BROTHER Thanks for participating. Awarded to you as a member of the team Windows Movie Maker Miscreants for emerging victorious in the tennis season! Congratulations on the result of your teamwork, skill and endurance! For taking part. Tennis Fuck Choice award. you did it my boy, you won. the birds, how beautifully they sing in the pit.<br />
<br />
it is indeed clean. ing vs moogle was one of the best tennis matches i have watched, so you sir, get one of the hardest awards on the site For 10 For 5! The most well behaved giant tentacle dark ballsack to ever live. For service. Ribbit! Something about Tennis. For Best Overall Character in Rabbit's Character Study Contest.

JazzDanceForChildren   
JazzDanceForChildren

I just prefer doing all my programming directly within the synth interface. That and even cheap digital hardware just gives me way better sound quality than I can get with my soundcard. I'm experienced enough now with subtractive synthesis and sequencer programming to where I'd just like to do the majority of my drum sounds from scratch. That and no latency/cpu spikes is something I would certainly like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LufHyYqs80k

I could probably get some good sounds out of this box. I'll probably pick up the synth box module from the same family. Both of them can are only about $120 or so on ebay. Maybe the sampler too, but that depeds on space and money.

Both of them on the same setup.

For staying warn free for 9 years Designing card #18 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years 2013
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2012 - Overall For the category of Member With Funniest Posts, Smartest User 2014, Smartest User 2015, Smartest User 2016 Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 225 days before it was shut down

strong414bad   
strong414bad

I've mainly been dicking around in PXTone, which is like FL Studio but chiptune and free and not nearly as extensive.

I might end up making real music for video games and stuff, or I might just mess up a Beatles album in Audacity and call it a day. You never know.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 244 days before it was shut down Again, for taking p-a-aaaart. For t-t-t-t-taking paaart TEEEEN FIVE GEWD. WMM tourney! Great! News articles here and there.

Futures Passed   
Futures Passed

I just mixed a basic beat to work with for my cover of "Love My Way".

If I'm confident enough with the vocals, I'll upload some multitracks and make a remix collab, and I'll make some art for the "single".

It would make for a good dancing song, I think.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being a perfect little boy.

Nozdordomu   
Nozdordomu

I can play keyboards, bongos, and guiro, so if anyone wants any of these on their recordings, I'll see if I can make a recording in the meter you want and send it to you.

For staying warn free for 9 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Best Writer 2015 Questioning the Triforce of Wisdom's prophecy. mmmmmmmmm Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For having a blog entry featured. 2013, Best Writer 2014
Best Writer 2016 
Best Writer 2017 For meeting Malk at Amoeba. For "GWoNAM Has Not Died Yet" Well done, Link. Well done Link! Are you meen? Because I sure am ha ha ha! Thanks for being strike free. Best overall character in Rabbit's Character Study contest. Good work!

Liebermintz   
Liebermintz

I like lo-fi, so because of my lack of good equipment, I have an mp3 player and an EyeToy to record stuff.

No wonder why my stuff is shitty. Cause it sounds horribly. Musically, it's good (at least to me).

Now, I'm writing stuff for a three-song set about Invisible Man.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

FlipJick   
FlipJick
I like lo-fi, so because of my lack of good equipment, I have an mp3 player and an EyeToy to record stuff.

No wonder why my stuff is shitty. Cause it sounds horribly. Musically, it's good (at least to me).

inb4 Queen, or more likely, Scatman John.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

Liebermintz   
Liebermintz

Not that Invisible Man...

I mean the black guy who sees racism everywhere he goes.

For staying warn free for 9 years Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Best Musician 2016 For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For songmaking during the '11 Festival
For outstanding achievement in achievement! For taking pa-a-a-aaaaaaaart. Well done Link! You won! For news staff writings.

FlipJick   
FlipJick

Not that Invisible Man...

I mean the black guy who sees racism everywhere he goes.

Good, because BOTH versions of invisible man sucked.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 1 year

RabbitSnore   
RabbitSnore

I've done a cursory look around the forum and can't seem to find a link to a copy of FL Studio. Granted, I didn't look very hard. Anyone have one or know if there's one on the forum?

I think I'd like to give the software a try with my dearth of musical skill.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 194 days before it was shut down For Ohayocon! Ohaaaaayoo! More like test-icles lol<br />
<br />
My test bunny. :3 My brother in arms...my 5 hour energy at 4 in the morning. Thanks for everything. LOU<br />
<br />
LOU ALBANO Sonic luvers 4ever. Hell yeah. For taking part. Keanu... From strongbad, who loved your match with Moogle. 25, holy fuck. 10 matches. 5 matches. You've been a very good rabbit. Big Boss salutes you, a true patriot. You should have wrote half of them...it would look a lot better... Poopcast, interview, countless other things. I think this award should be your face. Only, a bunny, and not Big Bird. Thanks for all the news, past and present. You deserve about a million of these, buddy. For winning the Great YouChew Cooking Contest!

McMaNGOS   
McMaNGOS
I've done a cursory look around the forum and can't seem to find a link to a copy of FL Studio. Granted, I didn't look very hard. Anyone have one or know if there's one on the forum?

I think I'd like to give the software a try with my dearth of musical skill.

http://hotfile.com/dl/4763037/5c9932c/F ... G.rar.html

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 202 days before it was shut down Hi it's Dop with the Slap Chop For taking part. 10. Dinner 5 OOOOH WRETCHED CHILD pingas Interview for one second collab. Thanks for the cookehs!

Morf Gworfmim   
Morf Gworfmim
I miss my old band, and the many days we spent in the practice rooms arguing about what band we should rip off this week and not actually ever playing a single note. Ah, those were the days.

That was every band I was in in high school, except the arguments were always in my own head and nobody cared besides me but we all pretty much sucked at our instruments... except the metal bands. I was the only sucky member in those.

we met superkoffee at sakuracon '11

Gary   
Gary
I miss my old band, and the many days we spent in the practice rooms arguing about what band we should rip off this week and not actually ever playing a single note. Ah, those were the days.

That was every band I was in in high school, except the arguments were always in my own head and nobody cared besides me but we all pretty much sucked at our instruments... except the metal bands. I was the only sucky member in those.

lololol

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Knowing ZergSlaya in real life, as well as meeting up with Derryb and Miles. For being a winner in the Trap Master competition! It's a secret, secret, form-u-la How'd you find me? One, two, three four five... For organizing a forum event, right? For most conspicuous bravery and valor in the face of the enemy.

Morf Gworfmim   
Morf Gworfmim

Here is my only audio hardware (besides analogue instruments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLMh7zodyDU

That's a song for me and ChrisGendo's electro/screamo band. It's a little less over-simple than our other ones right now, but no matter. Sooner or later we'll record the album we have written. We were going to have our first practice since spring yesterday but I realized I was missing my audio jack after I got down to his house so we just walked around instead.

Anyways, we'll hopefully start writing songs with more substance soon.

I almost forgot, this is a VERY rough demo "music video" we made a while back. I recorded his vocals into Garage band over the phone XD

Don't be too harsh with us, it's a just-for-fun band :P

JazzDanceForChildren   
JazzDanceForChildren

Oh, nice, you have the EMX.

I'll probably pick up the EA-1 for my monophonic synth box. The differences are minor and I can't justify blowing $500 retail just to get analog tubes on a digital synth. The drums don't do it for me though, I need zappy electro-break drums. The Er-1 should work nicely for that. Neither of them have LFO, which really, REALLY pisses me off since my microkorg has pretty much made me a decent LFO-ologist.

But once I get some cash for the fall I should be able to get some pretty intense sounds by running my LFO microkorg patches through the ER-1's gate. Luckily these boards look pretty easy to program as they pretty much just have a patch bank, step sequencer, and phrase sequencer.

Morf Gworfmim   
Morf Gworfmim

I barely understood any of that... which goes to show how little I know about music production. Haha

I got the EMX as a birthday/ high school graduation gift from my parents, and they got it used from a local chipbreak guy. He said it was glitching up, so he couldn't use it for shows, but the only thing that makes it glitch up is when you press down on the arpeggiator too hard, it turns out :D

Futures Passed   
Futures Passed

I've been recording some of the instruments I'm not very good at in Audacity, then taking the best samples from those and looping them (which works fairly well because they aren't parts that have sustained sounds). I do the looping in Sony Vegas, but it's very limited as far as exacting locations go. My current drum/piano/synth demo sounds off.

Producing analog music alone in a studio gets pretty depressing after a few hours. Just having someone else in there to press record and stop would be a huge plus, and would speed up the process quite a bit.

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For being a perfect little boy.