Mynn

Viruses: Troubles and Solutions

186 replies to this topic

Guysafari
How does this look? You can just hit quote, copy the post, and paste it into the first post.

Antivirus

Comodo (Free; pay extra for additional features)

AVG (Free; pay extra for additional features)

avast! (Free; pay extra for additional features)

Antispyware

MalwareBytes (Highly Recommended)

Spybot

Spyware Doctor 6 (Will cost money)

Spy Sweeper (Will cost money)

SUPER Anti Spyware (Will cost money)

Windows Defender*

Ad-Aware (Free; pay extra for additional features)

Firewall

Comodo (Free; pay extra for additional features)

PC Tools Firewall Plus

ZoneAlarm Free Basic

*I am in no way responsible for any possible WGA mishaps that occur with pirated copies of Windows.

I'm sure there's more good programs out there. I hope others will feel free to add some.

After I reboot, I'll download one of all of these!! and Firefox!

I'LL BE UNSTOPPABLE

For staying strike free for 5 years. For staying strike free for 7 years. Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years For meeting up with Miss10 and Deepercutt! For finding all three Meen images! For completing 5 matches! Thanks for being Strike-Free! For donating to the site!

RAKninja
I know this sounds silly, but maybe one of our computer savvy members should write a little FAQ on how to best avoid getting viruses.

ugh

i will if i find myself lacking something to do later, though it should all be common sense.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

Dopply

My guide to not getting viruses:

Use common sense. Seriously. If something looks bad, don't download it. Scan every suspicious RAR and ZIP you have before extracting it.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is my baby and I will love it forever and ever.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For staying warn free for 9 years Thanks for contributing to that Chewstream. Granting permission for a card that was later dropped For releasing articles on YouChew's Best of the Year series from 2007-2015. It's gonna hurt It's yours, my friend Thanks for helping out with the new server Chewbot gives congrats for having 21 awards For taking second place in 2014's Chew-or-Treat awards. Congratulations! For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years User with Funniest Avatars 2014
Spirit of YouChew 2017 Spirit of YouChew 2014, Most Likely to Rule the World 2014, Favorite Staff Member 2015
Spirit of YouChew 2016, Smartest User 2016, Most Helpful Member 2016, Favorite Staff Member 2016
User with Funniest Avatars 2017
Smartest User 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years August 2012 - Sentence mix-core, Classic For the categories of Funniest Signature and Spirit of YouChew.
Spirit of YouChew Award 2015 February 2012 - "Merlin's Penis" (Sentence mix-core) Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 34 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 215 days before it was shut down Cause he's Dopply!<br />
<br />
And for posting at the end of the Gen Chat thread! Yesterday should count, right? For my cock. Obviously. A thanks to myself, I suppose, pardner. Miss10 gave this to me, and congratulated me. I felt special. For moderator service. For the most Fucking Horrifying Character in Rabbit's Character Study contest.<br />
<br />
Good work!

Thereisnospoon303
I know this sounds silly, but maybe one of our computer savvy members should write a little FAQ on how to best avoid getting viruses.

ugh

i will if i find myself lacking something to do later, though it should all be common sense.

I'm not saying you have to do it. But since time and again someone finds a way to get a virus (ones that often do irreparable harm), I figure there should be something.

Maybe instead of an FAQ on how to avoid getting viruses, there should be one on what do if you get a virus (general procedures). Because a number of people have asked "I GOT A VIRUS AND I CAN'T BOOT WINDOWS" when, obviously, they're fucked.

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

RAKninja

ugh

I'm not saying you have to do it. But since time and again someone finds a way to get a virus (ones that often do irreparable harm), I figure there should be something.

Maybe instead of an FAQ on how to avoid getting viruses, there should be one on what do if you get a virus (general procedures). Because a number of people have asked "I GOT A VIRUS AND I CAN'T BOOT WINDOWS" when, obviously, they're fucked.

nah, i'm overtrained, and i did go to school for it.

if you sticky it i'll even maintain a regular tech support thread.

heh, old habits die hard... i've been doing tech support for forums for too many years

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years ROBOT BUNNY BOOBS For being on the Vanilla forums for 53 days before it was shut down IAMTENNISBOT

Thereisnospoon303

ugh

nah, i'm overtrained, and i did go to school for it.

if you sticky it i'll even maintain a regular tech support thread.

heh, old habits die hard... i've been doing tech support for forums for too many years

When the new section comes about, you can take front and center.

the tennis fucks will continue to spread

Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 3 years For being on the Vanilla forums for 258 days before it was shut down You went to Ohayocon with all those other goons. Good man. For service. SuperYoshi article Poopcast, interview. Helping out on the front page. Good boy. Well. You do own the place. Funniest short story in Rabbit's contest.

RAKninja

a suggestion then if you dont mind?

put the tech support usergroup to use there. there's a few other folks with tech skills in my general range but in different areas of expertise.

Thereisnospoon303

put the tech support usergroup to use there. there's a few other folks with tech skills in my general range but in different areas of expertise.

I'll relay that to the rest of the staff.

appdirect

AVG daily scan.

For staying warn free for 9 years Wads of dosh For collecting all the cards For collecting all the gold cards For getting 20 awards For collecting all the silver cards For collecting all the bronze cards Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For getting in the Blue Tier donation group For staying strike free for 7 years. User with Funniest Signatures 2015 app has become Little "mmm" Richard For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Member with Funniest Posts 2014, User with Funniest Avatars 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2015, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for exceeding 1,000,000 chewbucks Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years 2013 Remained strike-free for 3 years.

SirSigma

Here's some troubleshooting for problems that may come up. I think SOMEBODY should already add these to the first post.

My computer keeps getting popups and advertisements telling me to go pay for something they're selling. What should I do?

It sounds like you have adware. For a quick fix, MalwareBytes should work, or you can use Ad-Aware or a similar program if you already have it.

There's some files here that won't delete! They just keep coming back. How can I get rid of them?

Chances are they could be part of any malware or virus you had in the past. Even some of the best programs can leave traces behind. To delete a file that won't go away, just boot into safe mode and delete it yourself. If that doesn't work, boot up normally and search for the name of the file that won't delete, because if you can't delete it, chances are somebody else can't. If this is true, then you might find a solution that works for you.

My computer started acting slow or weird until my computer opened a spyware remover I don't remember installing. It scanned and said I have a lot of viruses, but I need to pay an outrageous sum of money to get rid of them. Should I trust it?

If you have a spyware remover you don't remember ever installing, DO NOT USE IT. What you likely have is a program designed to extort money from you in the guise of a spyware remover. If you suspect you have this, search for the name of this dubious program and chances are you'll find out how to remove it.

I just found [program name].exe on my computer. It didn't come with my computer to my knowledge, I don't remember ever downloading it, or I don't have any clue what it does. Should I execute it?

A good rule of thumb is if you don't know what it is, don't run it. It could be a trojan if you don't remember downloading it. If you have an antivirus with this feature, right click it and scan it, or search the name of the program. Be warned that some harmful programs can come with the same names as common Windows processes to fool you into keeping them.

My computer is really slow. How can I speed it up?

Have you defragmented lately? Be sure you do that and clean any trash or unused files, clean our your hard disk, or just run less programs. Better yet, uninstall any bloatware that may have come with your computer. If you are unfortunate enough to have Vista and that's not enough, you can squeeze a little more performance out by disabling Aero (it's ugly anyway) by right clicking Computer, selecting Properties, and hit the Change Settings link. Select the Performance tab and click Settings. Under Visual Effects, click the radio button "Adjust for Best Performance" or you can select which ones you can live without under custom. If all else fails, just blame Vista for being a hog and upgrade to either your hardware (RAM, video card, processor) or to a more efficient operating system like Windows 7.

No matter what I do I keep getting viruses! How can I avoid them?

This is an ambiguous to answer. I'll divide this answer into parts depending on what's being done on the computer.

File Sharing

Watch what you download. If you need to torrent or download something of a P2P network, make sure the size is legitimate looking. If you happen to find the exact same thing as you searched at the top and the file size seems ridiculously small, it's probably a very compact trojan waiting for somebody to download it. If you searched for Nero, do you really think the installer is going to be 11kb in size? Use common sense above all.

There will come times where the item you download is legitimate, but comes bundled with a nasty trojan. In this case, you could just run MalwareBytes to clean it.

Internet Browsing

Internet Explorer has gone through serious improvements over the past few years, but due to its majority use, it still remains a massive target, even with Internet Explorer 8. If you're using Internet Explorer on Windows XP, chances are it's a much smarter idea to use a different browser. If you're using Vista or 7, you're likely fine. If you want something else, you can download Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. If you really must use Internet Explorer, be sure it's at least up to date. If you're using Firefox and really want extra layers of security, install some add-ons like WOT (Web of Trust), NoScript, and Adblock. Another thing, if you use iTunes and Apple wants you to update and install Safari, and you have no intention of ever using it, just uncheck the box and don't install it.

Instant Messaging

Sometimes somebody on your friends list (or worse somebody you don't know) will send you what looks like an automated message and may contain a suspicious looking link with your username in it, or a strange attachment. In this case, the best thing to do is ignore it. If you must, block.

Is this good?

For staying warn free for 9 years For staying strike free for 7 years. For having a blog entry featured. For writing 13641 words worth in blog entries. 2013 Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years For the category of Most Likely To Rule The World.
2013 For the category of Most Helpful Member.
2013 Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 8 videos Been here since the turn of 07. For having lost not one, but two accounts. Giving myself a PRRRROMOTION For servicing us. Heh. Thanks for the donation! The forum appreciates your good behavior. For Lucky Lottery.

Waymu
Add Norton. I mean seriously that was quite a good program for the years I had it.

When I had Norton, It wouldn't let me install anything that would 'Connect to the Internet'

Wads of dosh Most Likely to Rule the World 2017 Member with Funniest Posts 2017 Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years Participated in the YouChew Easter Basket event For reaching this poop milestone. Submitting 100 videos to the Video System For staying strike free for 7 years. Participated in the 2015 YouTube Poop Secret Santa Reaching 1 Million Chewbucks For completing Super Mario Sunshine during our community challenge event. Testing the IPS 4.0 Update For writing 10594 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for having 20 awards Spirit of YouChew Award 2015, Most Likely to Rule the World 2015, User with Coolest Signatures 2016, Spirit of YouChew Award 2016. Most Likely to Rule the World 2016, Smartest User 2016, Member with Funniest Posts 2016, Best Image Editor 2016
Best Image Editor 2017 Chewbot gives congrats for having 45 5-star ratings on your videos Have a Ratburn For fighting the good fight in the war against copyright. For what is probably the first 60FPS YTP ever made. For having a blog entry featured. Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 50 videos Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years December 2013 - "Brett Keane collab" (Classic) Participating in Chew-Or-Treat 2013 great head CHEWS YOUR RACER Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 25 videos December 2012 - Brain rape/Rape-core as promised. congrats on 5 matches! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 5 videos Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 3 years Chewbot gives congrats for being strike free for over 1 year

AKADarkie

AVG daily scan.

From personal experience, AVG sucks massive dick.

The one virus infestation I had, it couldn't fix a good number of the viruses I got.

I do not recommend it.

Also, I keep getting spammed by my Anti-virus program that expired a while back in an attempt to get me to renew. The reason I hate viruses is because of the spam. Having an anti-virus program spamming is sorta killing the point.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 11047 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo event! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 39 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 230 days before it was shut down SaS

Kon

How bad is "Adware-BHO.gen.g"? McAfee keeps bugging me with that and it couldn't remove it. I'm using Malwarebytes now and scanning my computer.

Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 7 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 213 days before it was shut down 5 matches! YOUR WILL TO HAVE NO STRIKES Thanks for the cookies!

AKADarkie

Not exactly a virus, per se, but I am unable to delete Norton Internet Security from my computer. It's long expired, and it tells me to renew every day. The popup that comes from it cannot be close using the [x] button on the upper-right corner, and the only two options that the popup gives are to renew it immediately, and to remind me in one day. The whole thing is starting to bugger me at this point.

Participating in the Halloween costume event for 5 years For participating in Chew-or-Treat 2014! Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 7 years For writing 11047 words worth in blog entries. Chewbot gives congrats for not getting any warnings for over 5 years Runner up in the E3 2012 Bingo event! Chewbot gives congrats for uploading 39 videos For being on the Vanilla forums for 230 days before it was shut down SaS